Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Theophany posted:

Palmer was over 107%. Good lord he is a loving duffer.

The 107% time is taken from Q1 since that's the only qualifying session where everyone is guaranteed the same conditions, not Q3. Palmer was inside that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/monster-f1-cars-hitting-peaks-of-8g-in-melbourne-886185/

quote:

Drivers are nearing 8G in the new-spec Formula 1 cars at Albert Park, with the high-downforce cars described as "brutal" and "monsters" following the first qualifying session of the season.

The unofficial Albert Park lap record was smashed today, Sebastian Vettel beating his old benchmark – set by the German back in qualifying for the 2011 Australian Grand Prix – for the first time during free practice 3, before Lewis Hamilton decimated it with his 1m22.188s in qualifying.

While shy of the much-touted five-second improvement over 2016 lap speeds, the cornering forces generated by the new cars raised plenty of eyebrows in the paddock.

"The cars are brutal to drive – we are not far from 8G with the peak in high corners – so it is pretty good fun," said Haas driver Romain Grosjean. "But it is hard on the body, it is hard on parts, it is hard on the cars.

"You better not miss the turning point on some places. The speed we go through the corners is insane compared to the past. You need to be more precise, more accurate, more on it, and the body gets a pretty tough time into some corners so it could be."

Polesitter Hamilton, now holder of the fastest ever lap at the Albert Park circuit, echoed Grosjean's sentiments about the new cars being more fun to drive than the previous generation cars.

"It is incredible," he said. "It is the best I have ever experienced here. The grip is fantastic, the aero makes such a drastic difference. You can push deep into the corners, it is amazing.

"I've not had the car skating around on the low grip tyres we have had in the past, so [it is] very exciting to drive."

"Real monsters"

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff added that tomorrow's race in the 'monster' cars will be a test of how well prepared the drivers are in terms of fitness.

"Those cars are real monsters," he said.

"I think you can see that on the onboard, the cornering speeds are very impressive and we will see tomorrow in the first race how physical they actually are and how much it takes out of the driver."

Williams driver Felipe Massa compared the cars to those from the 2008 season, adding that he was surprised times weren't even quicker compared to 2016.

"I really thought we would have been three seconds quicker," said the Brazilian. "I don't know; maybe the track is a bit slow.

"The car is a lot more fun to drive, more like 2008, which for me was quite high downforce. I think tomorrow we'll have an idea how it is for the show. I really hope it can be a nice race."

One side effect of the increased mid-corner speeds seems to be a 'lights out' effect at the limit, Lance Stroll, Daniel Ricciardo, and Jolyon Palmer among those to have been caught out by a sudden loss of grip so far this weekend.

According to Grosjean, the scope to slide the cars is very limited.

"They are done to function in a certain way of sliding, and soon as you go out of that you lose all the downforce," he said. "As the downforce is massively high then the drop is massively bigger, when it is gone, it is gone."

Max Verstappen, however, said it was the tyres making the cars difficult to catch in a slide.

"[The cars] are more stable through high speed corners," he said. "The only problem is when you lose it, it's more difficult to catch because of the wide tyres.

"It's difficult to get it back. That's the only thing. In general, when you keep it in the right track it is actually a lot more fun.

"Especially in qualifying when you go low fuel, they are really enjoyable to drive."

How long until Todt comes in and introduces grooved tires and a turbocharger ban?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trash drivers complains about the new wild cars. We need Max Mosley to introduce stupid rules to make F1 boring ASAP

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

Beautiful whinging afterwards as well

Yeah that was some pretty top drawer bitching. :lol:

I wonder how much money Stroll brings to Williams and whether or not Claire did her maths correctly. If the little tyke writes off a car each race weekend, what is the net income he brings?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
gently caress Lewis and his Jedward haircut

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Theophany posted:

Yeah that was some pretty top drawer bitching. :lol:

I wonder how much money Stroll brings to Williams and whether or not Claire did her maths correctly. If the little tyke writes off a car each race weekend, what is the net income he brings?

-3 packets of gummy worms.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Wirth1000 posted:

Polesitter Hamilton
Never not sitting on poles

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Torn between hyping over ferrari or predicting they'll gently caress it up and remain failarri

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Traditionally we are allowed this brief period of hope between quali and the race before our team/driver royally fucks it up for us.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/monster-f1-cars-hitting-peaks-of-8g-in-melbourne-886185/

How long until Todt comes in and introduces grooved tires and a turbocharger ban?

Tomorrow when there are 3 overtakes total

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

Torn between hyping over ferrari or predicting they'll gently caress it up and remain failarri

Strategy kings :jerkbag:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Thoughts while catching up:

I like the timing dots
LOL Ricciardo
Nice one Seb
THE VALTTERI CONSTANT™

Also while following along with the thread it's pretty clear how much better the C4 team is than Sky, at least assuming the commentary was recorded live.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
FOM have uploaded 15 videos to the Formula 1 youtube channel so far this weekend. Bernie's spinning in his grave

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I saw qualifying highlights recommended in the sidebar on youtube and did a real life double take

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

50fps videos look weird

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm pretty surprised by how good the Haas is, at least with Grosjean at the wheel.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Just getting caught up on Quali now (because gently caress that at 2AM) and I miss Are BUT :smith:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

I'm pretty surprised by how good the Haas is, at least with Grosjean at the wheel.

Agreed. Refreshing to hear him happy on team radio.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Tsaedje posted:

FOM have uploaded 15 videos to the Formula 1 youtube channel so far this weekend. Bernie's spinning in his grave

Bernie died? RIP Are Bernard

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Maybe you were right about Magnussen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Woke up to see a Haas in 6th. :stare:

Maybe GRO loves Australia, but if they figured out their brake problems, I'm sure they'll be constantly in the fight for points.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

GramCracker posted:

Bernie died? RIP Are Bernard

The undead have graves too

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read on Autosport that Honda is thinking about providing engines for other teams. LOLnda.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

DoctorGonzo posted:

I read on Autosport that Honda is thinking about providing engines for other teams. LOLnda.

I think Formula 2 already has an engine supplier?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It was nice seeing cars with grip again during qualifying. The speed thru the quick turns and the small window for a super fast turn in were refreshing to see.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorGonzo posted:

Who the hell would even take them on at this point.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

gret posted:

I think Formula 2 already has an engine supplier?

Nice

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wicka posted:

Big John angling for Kimi's seat

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Oh gently caress my life.
It's clocks-forward weekend in the UK which makes the coverage start at 'technically' 4am local time.

I like this sport and this is worth it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

DoctorGonzo posted:

Part of me thinks this is them getting back at McLaren for the new engine supplier tumors but they're just really bad at fighting media battles as well.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Just watched Lewis's pole lap on youtube (thanks FOM) and holy poo poo I didn't know you were supposed to take 90 degree turns at 250 kmh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/Dan_Thorn/status/845678430591094784

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

geonetix posted:

Just watched Lewis's pole lap on youtube (thanks FOM) and holy poo poo I didn't know you were supposed to take 90 degree turns at 250 kmh.

I love that everyone's now coming out and uploading all the fun videos we could have had for years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxuMOKSbsKE

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:aaa:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Khablam posted:

Oh gently caress my life.
It's clocks-forward weekend in the UK which makes the coverage start at 'technically' 4am local time.

You're welcome to get up at 4am, but the race doesn't start until 6am BST (you went the wrong way)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The cars are going to crush records this year. The higher corner speeds make them look much faster on the broadcast

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

The higher corner speeds make them look much faster on the broadcast

During quali and practice I was constantly amazed at how drat fast they look on the tube.

Gonna be a good season boys. Forza McLaren.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
F-f-f-forzz-z-za Mc-c-c-cLaren

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

F-f-f-forzz-z-za Mc-c-c-cLaren

*engine falls out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Norns posted:

The cars are going to crush records this year. The higher corner speeds make them look much faster on the broadcast

The onboards just look ridiculous, like it's not quite at the old turbo era yet in terms of then just wrestling the car but it's pretty drat close.

• Locked thread