Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Buck got his rear end booed loudly by Indians fans during the World Series watch party I was at. How he acted that series is still made fun of to this day by Clevelanders. He's a joke.

Buck really needs to not call baseball. It was natural for him to start there because his father was one of the all time greats, but he just never clicked with the game or fans anywhere.

Also I believe he claimed he didn't even really like the sport, so there's that too. Although I'd imagine Jim Nantz doesn't really like sports other than golf himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Buck really needs to not call baseball. It was natural for him to start there because his father was one of the all time greats, but he just never clicked with the game or fans anywhere.

Also I believe he claimed he didn't even really like the sport, so there's that too. Although I'd imagine Jim Nantz doesn't really like sports other than golf himself.

Nantz has said as much, pretty much implying that golfers were the last true "gentleman" or some sort of WASP-like statement

quote:

Whenever the subject of Jim Nantz comes up, I always bring up this interview he did with SI five years ago, in which he said this when asked about steroids in golf:

"I would be shocked if there's anybody in professional golf doing that. Shocked. You hear, "They're hitting it so far." But golfers are not cheats. The guys up on the pedestal in our sport play by the rules. That's unusual in our society. It's beautiful… there's not a scandal and there's not going to be one. We should not even breathe a hint of suspicion; it's a nonissue."

His colleague Verne Lundequist on the other hand seems tremendously flexible. He was good at calling NFC Games for CBS in the 80's, Great at calling the NBA, Great at calling the NCAA, Great at SEC 'Ball, and Great at calling the Masters. Very well rounded guy, and seems like he fit in about anywhere. Hell even doing Figure Skating he didn't seem all that awkward.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Spoeank posted:

Joe Buck of the last 3-4 years has been great.

His shtick now is "you all hate me and I know it but you fuckers are stuck with me" and it's moved him to the next level.

When I found out that he and Artie Lange are actually friends, it ruined the magic for me

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I think Joe Buck is real good tbh

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Gruden is fantastic what's next are you going to tell me Walton is bad?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joe's always been better than people want to think, he's just never that excited-sounding, and Aikman is a huuuuuge anchor on him.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I understand why people think he sucks but calling him the worst sports announcer has always been insane when there's such a bounty of garbage to choose from

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

FuzzySkinner posted:

His colleague Verne Lundequist on the other hand seems tremendously flexible. He was good at calling NFC Games for CBS in the 80's, Great at calling the NBA, Great at calling the NCAA, Great at SEC 'Ball, and Great at calling the Masters. Very well rounded guy, and seems like he fit in about anywhere. Hell even doing Figure Skating he didn't seem all that awkward.

This is true in more ways than one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what the gently caress, joe buck is bad

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Olympics aren't even that bad. The tape delay poo poo sucks but is pretty much just the nature of the beast. And the production of everything is loving great plus the commentary for the major events is stellar.

Yeah, if you take out much of the prime time approach it's not that bad

But most Americans see prime time, and they need some way to recoup losses since nobody pays the IOC for tv rights as much as them, so they try to appeal to a wide audience

I dunno, arguing about US Olympic tv coverage makes my head spin

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Groucho Marxist posted:

I understand why people think he sucks but calling him the worst sports announcer has always been insane when there's such a bounty of garbage to choose from

I watched Ronde Barber call Shaun Draughn 3 different names in one game.

None of them were Shaun Draughn.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spoeank posted:

I watched Ronde Barber call Shaun Draughn 3 different names in one game.

None of them were Shaun Draughn.

Could be worse.

(That's one of those names that if you use the first name, even if you aren't the homer announcers, no one is going to hold you to it)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

what the gently caress, joe buck is bad

He doesn't have his own version of "The Masters" to redeem himself either.

I mean, I DESPISE Nantz calling basketball, football, but that guy is a real pro at calling golf. Buck doesn't have that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Joe Buck is thoroughly mediocre

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Olympics are poo poo. No other country does that tape delay bullshit or assumes that unless someone from YOUR country has a shot at a medal, you don't care. Their excuse is "it gets ratings" but they've never tried it any other way so how do they know?

Let's be honest that's because for almost every other country it would mean showing about 10 events. Also, I've watched the Olympics in China before and they do the exact same poo poo. Hope you enjoy weightlifting badminton and table tennis.

Plus NBC does end up showing a lot of events that Americans have no shot of medaling in, it's just usually shown live. For example, badminton, table tennis, and women's archery among others all got a decent amount of air time.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Although I'd imagine Jim Nantz doesn't really like sports other than golf himself.

I wasn't sure if I should have ended the sentence after sports or not, tbh.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Uncle Verne got his start calling TV bowling in Dallas, of all things. I fully expect our next great broadcaster is doing poo poo on Twitch or something.

Adun posted:

Also, I've watched the Olympics in China before and they do the exact same poo poo. Hope you enjoy weightlifting badminton and table tennis.

loving do I.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

NBC hockey coverage could certainly be better but a lot of the camera angle poo poo can be attributed to arenas not being designed for hockey. There are some layouts that are just absolutely terrible for trying to set that stuff up.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

sportsgenius86 posted:

NBC hockey coverage could certainly be better but a lot of the camera angle poo poo can be attributed to arenas not being designed for hockey. There are some layouts that are just absolutely terrible for trying to set that stuff up.

Joe Louis Arena is a hockey only building with the worst camera placement in the league, I'm glad it's gone after this year

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Watching a televised hockey game at Barclay's Center is kind of amazing in how awkward it is

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Dallas is really bad for hockey too on tv, I think the seats are angled so that your feet are at the top of the boards instead of ice level so you can't see anything when the puck is along the glass.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

*shows rink length wire cam where you can't see poo poo 8 times a game*

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Longtime Indians radio commentator Tom Hamilton had the 6 year-old son of Cleveland's GM in the booth with him and it led to an amazing exchange.

quote:

Tom Hamilton: Let me ask you, just between us and all the people listening. Dad had any phone calls lately? Who’s he trying to get? Because he won’t tell us. Can you?

Brody Chernoff: He’s trying to get Lindor to play for seven more years.

the audio's at the link, it's a great listen.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

Joe Louis Arena is a hockey only building with the worst camera placement in the league, I'm glad it's gone after this year

The Joe has the best camera placement, except when people are standing up.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DJExile posted:

Watching a televised hockey game at Barclay's Center is kind of amazing in how awkward it is

The Mausoleum was just as lovely, the camera stand was on the blue line

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Am I horrible for not liking Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley doing CBB?

Kenny Smith seems to keep having the homer goggles on for UNC in the manner I saw the NFL TODAY crew had their homer goggles for their various former AFC North teams (sans Cleveland...)

Barkley just seems clueless. He kept framing the KU-Purdue game in a manner that seemed to present KU as some freak of nature athletic juggernaut that Purdue didn't deserve to share the floor with. (This despite the fact that Purdue was competitive and leading most of the first half in a game that was a relative home game for KU in Kansas City).

I generally love these guys doing the NBA, but they seem a bit lost and out of place doing the NCAA.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I couldn't tell you one way or the other about Smith, but Barkley clearly hasn't done any research and doesn't give a poo poo about college ball

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

ElwoodCuse posted:

No it's good when a person standing up in the 12th row can block 70 percent of the ice from the camera deck.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

People got in a huff last night because a station in Columbus cut away from the UNC/Kentucky game to a black screen with a tornado warning ticker for six minutes. Station was having technical difficulties but from what I saw the ticker was working, the video itself was just black and there was no audio. Two tornadoes touched down in the area (one in the West and one in the North).

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

soggybagel posted:

No it's good when a person standing up in the 12th row can block 70 percent of the ice from the camera deck.

Case in point, a couple of guys blocked the camera just before a famous goal

https://youtu.be/tRoNqiiY6Lg?t=82

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vertical Lime posted:

Case in point, a couple of guys blocked the camera just before a famous goal

https://youtu.be/tRoNqiiY6Lg?t=82

I'd completely forgotten that Gretzky was on that Blues team, hell almost forgotten he was ever on the Blues. Let alone that his kinda lazy puck play led directly to Yzerman's goal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

soggybagel posted:

:omarcomin:

Because gently caress the Red Wings.

(real talk: that's really bad)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

People got in a huff last night because a station in Columbus cut away from the UNC/Kentucky game to a black screen with a tornado warning ticker for six minutes. Station was having technical difficulties but from what I saw the ticker was working, the video itself was just black and there was no audio. Two tornadoes touched down in the area (one in the West and one in the North).

Yeah it was rough all around. it was right at the end of the game so I can understand initial frustration but when you've got legit touchdowns you've got to let people know.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Akileese posted:

A number of years ago the Minneapolis/St. Paul FOX affiliate cut away from the UEFA Champions League final to cover multiple Tornado Warnings and their Facebook page got absolutely overwhelmed with angry messages.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 27, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Akileese posted:

Ohio is unusual.

Up north? A tornado largely doesn't do a lot of damage. Where I live the biggest I've seen happen is trees being knocked over or something like that.

South? Yeah they're deadly. Dayton area and towards Indiana gets a lot of bad ones.

This is awful to say...but I think I'd be in the "mad online" camp if this happened to me in Cleveland/Akron/Canton.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Toledo got an EF5 a few years ago. They're ordinarily not the worst but I still wouldn't gently caress with them

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

Toledo got an EF5 a few years ago. They're ordinarily not the worst but I still wouldn't gently caress with them

I guess it helps I live in area called "Summit" where the name of it's largest city is named after the Greek word for "Summit". But yeah, that's a bit alarming for that to happen in Toledo.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I had a tornado touch down in my hometown on loving Long Island and it was goddamn terrifying. If you're bitching about a basketball game you deserve to have your house sucked up into Oz

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I had a tornado touch down in my hometown on loving Long Island and it was goddamn terrifying. If you're bitching about a basketball game you deserve to have your house sucked up into Oz

Eh, you kinda learn to live with them? Or live with the idea that you might die if everything goes wrong at least. My folks lived about 1/4 mile from where the Ruskin Heights tornado hit, which understandably terrified them about tornadoes. So as a kid growing up when sirens went off we headed to the basement no matter what, but other than waiting for an all clear there didn't seem to be a whole lot of value in listening to weather guys breathlessly talk about poo poo.

Basically the sirens do the job of getting the word out in midwestern cities if you respect them, and like a minute break in programming should be enough to tell people to go to the safest place they can.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Eh, you kinda learn to live with them? Or live with the idea that you might die if everything goes wrong at least. My folks lived about 1/4 mile from where the Ruskin Heights tornado hit, which understandably terrified them about tornadoes. So as a kid growing up when sirens went off we headed to the basement no matter what, but other than waiting for an all clear there didn't seem to be a whole lot of value in listening to weather guys breathlessly talk about poo poo.

Basically the sirens do the job of getting the word out in midwestern cities if you respect them, and like a minute break in programming should be enough to tell people to go to the safest place they can.

I think using the cellphone EAS is far more effective.

That or a screen crawl with those little maps I've seen used during telecasts. Honestly EAS's fascinate me to no end, I'm kinda intrigued by the more "we're doomed" oriented ones for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think using the cellphone EAS is far more effective.

That or a screen crawl with those little maps I've seen used during telecasts. Honestly EAS's fascinate me to no end, I'm kinda intrigued by the more "we're doomed" oriented ones for some reason.

I will always love the CNN/Turner "ONLY RUN IN CASE OF APOCALYPSE" video