Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there any consensus as to a solid solo character in each Borderlands game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

Whatever sniper there is. Anybody with support skills are subpar with no team, anybody designed for close range is subpar with no support, and the siren is tricky to get right. Just be a sniper and headshot everything.

Also, solo Borderlands is really boring imo, get a friend or 2.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mr. Dragoon posted:

Anything for Wizardry 8 that's not on the Wiki already?

Mostly I'm wondering if I have to min/max with race/class combos or if that's' not too critical. Do I have to worry about multi classing or can I just work on pure classes?

Multiclassing is mostly crap. It tends to screw you over if you do it because you'll lose key features of a certain class. However, moving around between various spellcaster types can be fine. Even so it generally just plain isn't worth it. You're better off picking a set of classes that does what you need and go from there.

You don't need to obsessively min/max even if you play on hard. You'll need the standards unless you're going for a challenge run; a meat shield to be your front line, a healer, and somebody that can pick locks. You should also have some form of magic damage but almost any variety of party can be made to work so long as you bring a healer. Those key abilities also exist on a variety of classes so you aren't forced to ever take one specific class.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

juliuspringle posted:

The Gunzerker in 2 is a pretty survivable (and decently fun) solo, but that's the only one I've played (thanks to PS+).

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

For 1, Roland if you plan on using the recommended shotguns and assault rifles is a fine character to solo the game with. From the 3 branches:

Infantry
- Impact is good to have even if you don't want shotguns at all.
- Your turret is strong enough usually, but Sentry is nice to have.
- Scattershot owns and is a must-have if you intend on using shotguns.
- Metal Storm is eh, imo, since some of the stuff you're going to get in the long run is already going to fire fast and not have bad recoil. Good if you're going to prioritize rifles over shotguns, though.
- Refire is good since you should be using your turret as a distraction and anything to get it up faster is good. I'd be good with one point.
- Assault is good if you have a strong assault rifle, but the clip is tiny or the accuracy is bad. Otherwise, I'd skip it.
- Guided Missile really only needs one point if you want it. It's strong enough to justify itself, at least.

Support:
- Defense is really good, I'd max it out or put 4/5 points in it.
- Stockpile is eh because at the rate the game tosses ammo at you sometimes, you won't really need it. Money will stop mattering, too, so you can just buy what you need.
- Quick Charge is also a must-have, especially if you're running shotgun.
- Barrage is okay if you want it, but I'd skip it.
- Grenadier is eh, but if you've got a really nice mod, it can't hurt to get a few points into this.
- Deploy is a nice alternative if you don't care enough to grab Refire from the Infantry branch. Together, it's great.
- I've never used Supply Drop, but if you really are chewing through ammo that fast, sure why not.

Medic:
- Fitness is great because having more HP means you won't die as often from explosions you didn't see coming (and there will always be at least one, trust me).
- Aid Station is solid and works great with Fitness and HP regen armor mods if you have them.
- Overload is awesome because it's like Assault except for every gun type but no recoil reduction.
- Cauterize only matters if you're playing co-op. Since you're going solo, skip it. If you do end up pubbing or getting a pal, shotguns are great at healing.
- Revive ups your friends at a chance if they go down near your turret. If I remember correctly, your turret goes away when you go down, so it won't work for you.
- Grit owns because a lot of enemies will have guns and will want to kill you with them.
- Stat is great if you don't have an HP regen armor mod and is really great if you do. I'd only bother with one point.

Still, even if shotguns and rifles are your bread and butter, always use the best weapon for the job. 1 uses a weapon proficiency system, so as long as you stick with a weapon type you actually care about, you'll become great on your own in time. Kills scored by your turret will increase the proficiency of the weapon currently in your hands, too. Final note: Transfusion grenades own, but really, all of them do.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Hank Morgan posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda. My instincts are telling me not to waste my time on tasks. Am I right without spoilers?

You can hit 100% Viability on planets and move the story just fine without doing all the tasks. Most of them are boring scan/shoot/find n of X, and reward you mostly in experience and maybe a small bump in Inquisition influence Andromeda viability, or a line of dialogue changes.

It is wildly more important and worth your while to do whatever the narrative is on that planet, as well as activating the Remnant pillars and finishing the vault <--minor spoiler

As a caveat: I haven't finished the entire game, but so far there haven't been any negative consequences from skipping tasks.

im cute fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 26, 2017

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

nioh?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Here's what I had shortly after it came out:

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Three things from a couple hours of playing, all related to the same point:
Many skill descriptions are misleading-to-only-technically-accurate, and the skill movies show you less than you'd think.
1. The skill directly beneath each weapon's high/med/low stance that says "You may now Ki Pulse while dodging" should actually say "You may now Ki Pulse BY dodging" which is insanely, incredibly powerful.
2. Any skill that says "at the end of a combo press triangle" means "any time you hit triangle after hitting square" so you can Sq-Tr, Sq-Sq-Tr, whatever.
3. The charge-triangle Axe skill that says you slam the ground makes it look/sound like you'd use it to knock someone over. It also looks like it has a tiny lovely range because you hit directly at your phone feet. What it actually does, is hit anyone up to your weapon's reach, and knocks them over (at least, anything human-sized in the first couple areas). This also depletes their Ki. This is good, because they're now out of Ki and on the ground and open to a Final Blow.

Only the most minor of spoilers because it won't make sense until you're out of the tutorial/Tower, but:
Also, SPIRITS: You can see what any Guardian Spirit has as its unlocks (what you get at Spirit 10, 11, etc.) by going a few tabs over on YOUR Status screen, or by going to Change Guardian Spirit at any shrine.
Shark spirit has a suite of super-useful stuff that you can unlock as you get a couple points of Spirit (enemies on radar, life on kill, reduced Ki consumption on strong attacks).

Ok another two:

- Once you unlock the map, go to the Dojo and do the Way of the Ninja tutorial. It will teach you nothing, BUT it unlocks the backstab passive ability (massive damage attack on an unaware target from behind --- lock onto them and then triangle when you see the targeting reticle turn red, while within weapon's reach) in the Ninja skill tree. Which you should get.
- The non-consumable item that says something about consuming "all obtained Amrita" to return to the start of a mission + cancel a mission (basically your "gently caress this I want to leave" button) sounds like it'll eat anything you got from the mission. Literally all it does is 0s our your current possessed Amrita, like dying. So if you're near a level up breakpoint, feel free to get enough Amrita to level up, get your level up, then use the item with your tiny baby amount of Amrita burnt.
And also: You can respec once you unlock the shop, for an amount that is at first trivial and ramps up with each subsequent respec. So don't sweat it if you don't like your starting choices. Also, those choices only amount to 2 stat points total in the end, so effectively Nothing.

And: Spear is strong as hell. Holy poo poo spear is good.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A decade ago?

Oh

oh yes

What other thing does this instantly make me think oRAWCOPY!!! THAT WAS WHAT IT WAS CALLED oh wow, 1990s Brain Unlocked (+10!). A program so old and niche that even specifically Googling for it barely works.

juliuspringle posted:

I like Millennial Sexlord's comment, but the Pre-Sequel seems to have been written in the hopes that you would play Claptrap. I had no choice but to play him when I saw the confusing uselessness of some of his abilities, and I was never disappointed. I do pretty much play predominantly with sniper logic in all the Borderlands games though, since multiplayer is for suckers :haw:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For Borderlands 1, you honestly can probably get away with any character except Brick. Roland is good all around and has his turret to help out, with a good fire SMG Lilith can stomp all over the game and you have a get out of jail free button, and Mordecai has the sniping tree, the pistol tree which is also pretty good, and the Bloodwing tree which is the single most broken thing in the game to the point of making it boring.

For Borderlands 2, Gaige is definitely up there since Deathtrap can be your co-op buddy the whole way through. Axton is basically Roland 2.0. And Salvador can be nicely self-sufficient.

I haven't actually played the Pre-Sequel but I imagine Jack can get rolling pretty good since his whole gimmick is spawning his own squad of clones to use as a personal army or as suicide bombers.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Nier: Automata

At some point in the middle of the first playthrough, you get access to fast travel. Side Quests involve an incrediable amount of backtracking, so you might want to hold off on doing them til then. The game hides all the quest markers just before this happens, but they come back shortly afterwards.

In the first playthrough, you sometimes come across optional enemies who are amazing damage sponges. In the 2nd playthrough you have an ability that does crazy damage to them, so you may want to save them until then.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Here's a few tidbits for Sproggiwood

* Your main priority with spending money should probably be the Healing Potion, followed by the passive experience boost. Later on, the Alchemist's Vial is a good addition to your starting setup as it allows you to use the Healing Potion (alongside all potions) twice from the get-go.

* Investing in freezing weapons as soon as possible is also a good idea, especially on Savage difficulty. The extra hit they allow you to land on each enemy will save a lot of health in the long run.

* Using an item doesn't take a turn, nor do certain abilities such as the Farmer's self-healing Cornucopia.

* Small black slimes will cover a few nearby tiles in slime when killed, and these will in turn spawn more slimes after a few turns if not "cleaned up" by walking over them. It's best to lure them into a confined space before killing them to make the cleaning easier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something for Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE that's not in the wiki;

When you hear your party members talk while you're selecting a Skill to use in combat, it generally means the followup Session Attack will trigger something they'll hit a Resist or Null on (ie; "Dont pick this, I'll hit for minimal/null damage with my followup".).

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DiRT 2, 3, 3 complete, or Showdown?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I just checked a different wiki to confirm something I noticed in the first Borderlands before I mentioned it here as it isn't in the wiki from this thread.

If you kill an enemy with a melee attack you still get proficiency experience for whatever weapon you currently have in hand. You also get proficiency experience if a teammate, Bloodwing or Scorpio turret makes the fatal hit. (The second thing I stole from the wiki)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The best tip I've seen for Mass Effect Andromeda is "avoid additional tasks" which is the same as Dragon Age Inquisition's "get the gently caress out of the Hinterlands."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

John Murdoch posted:

For Borderlands 1, you honestly can probably get away with any character except Brick. Roland is good all around and has his turret to help out, with a good fire SMG Lilith can stomp all over the game and you have a get out of jail free button, and Mordecai has the sniping tree, the pistol tree which is also pretty good, and the Bloodwing tree which is the single most broken thing in the game to the point of making it boring.
I am not sure if this means I should be happy I played Mordecai and literally never used Bloodwing once, or whether this means I made everything much harder on myself by doing so. Trying to find how it is broken/exploitable with some cursory Googling now is not coming up with anything...is it the now-fixed exploit of "infinite Bloodwings by throwing him into the ground" or whatever?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am not sure if this means I should be happy I played Mordecai and literally never used Bloodwing once, or whether this means I made everything much harder on myself by doing so. Trying to find how it is broken/exploitable with some cursory Googling now is not coming up with anything...is it the now-fixed exploit of "infinite Bloodwings by throwing him into the ground" or whatever?
A buffed-up Bloodwing is basically an attack helicopter, and you can then get through the whole game doing nothing but throwing your bird and picking stuff up.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
For the first Borderlands, soldier is easy mode. Put a dozen or so picks into your turret and get a good elemental crystal; then whenever you see a nasty critter, drop the turret then go chug a beer as it mops up everything.

Mordecai is pretty good, his "trespasser" skill crushes the endgame aliens. Lilith is OK, Brick sucks.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have been afraid of ending up restarting with Borderlands 1 after finally finishing Pre-Sequel years later and this thread is only pushing me closer to this :mad:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

al-azad posted:

The best tip I've seen for Mass Effect Andromeda is "avoid additional tasks" which is the same as Dragon Age Inquisition's "get the gently caress out of the Hinterlands."

It would have been "get the gently caress off of Eos" since the two games' zones and missions are structured the exact same way (vast swaths of not much, a million tiny side quests), but fortunately they gated off 3/4 of that map with lethal radiation until you've moved on to a couple other planets.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

juliuspringle posted:

Lilith in Borderlands 1 has a whole bunch of survival enhancement stuff that also happens to hurt enemies, and really lets you set the pace of the battle.

Maya in BL2 is good for the same reasons, plus has a LOT of options for crowd control that turns her into a real monster, HOWEVER, if you have the Psycho Pack Krieg is the best borderlands character period and can solo anything in the game in a neverending tsunami of axe-murdering rampage.

BL3 pretty much anyone is good, but Athena's the only character I've ever been able to beat the utterly broken DLC endboss with; her ability to absorb all damage in her frontal arc and then deal it back to enemies is fantastic, she has great Elemental abilities, and basically plays like a Siren character. I'd argue that the Jack clone is the most boring character to play TBH.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have been afraid of ending up restarting with Borderlands 1 after finally finishing Pre-Sequel years later and this thread is only pushing me closer to this :mad:
If you decide to do this, and you're on PC, shoot me a PM. I never got a proper playthrough with friends, so I wouldn't mind following along a co-op through 1 and 2 with someone.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
NIER Automata

Always be dodging. If you see a red flash, dodge and parry.

You can press and hold Jump to use your Pod as a glider. Useful for avoiding fall damage.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

It would have been "get the gently caress off of Eos" since the two games' zones and missions are structured the exact same way (vast swaths of not much, a million tiny side quests), but fortunately they gated off 3/4 of that map with lethal radiation until you've moved on to a couple other planets.

I've just started but Eos doesn't seem anywhere near as big as the Hinterlands.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've just started but Eos doesn't seem anywhere near as big as the Hinterlands.

There's a large section of the map to the west and north that you can't go to initially. It's huge geographically but most of it is empty space. It don't know which would take longer to quest through completely.

The bits after you get told to move on from Eos are good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr. Quarex posted:

:same:

PMush Perfect posted:

If you decide to do this, and you're on PC, shoot me a PM. I never got a proper playthrough with friends, so I wouldn't mind following along a co-op through 1 and 2 with someone.

Oh noooooo. But I just bought a bunch of other RPG shooters to binge through. :(

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

John Murdoch posted:

:same:

Oh noooooo. But I just bought a bunch of other RPG shooters to binge through. :(

Wait, what other RPG shooters did you buy out of curiosity?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zaodai posted:

Wait, what other RPG shooters did you buy out of curiosity?

I wouldn't mind hearing this either; I've kind of run dry.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm using a loose definition of RPG shooter but Killing Floor 2, The Division, and Farcry 4. All not-so-coincidentally on sale right now.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 27, 2017

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Get Ziggurat, it's a fun roguelike shooter.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

For Mordy, if you get a Masher (a shotgun/revolver hybrid), you probably want to respec heavily into pistols from that point on, they are ridiculously powerful. For Lillith, the moment you get a Double Anarchy, you probably won't use anything else for the next 30 levels (until you find a newer, better Double Anarchy). Roland's so Jack-Of-All-Tradesy, you can literally goof around with anything and get through the game with no problems. And no one really plays Brick, so forget him.

And: Spear is strong as hell. Holy poo poo spear is good.

Or high-stance kusarigama. The combo on that tears through enemies like a pissed-off lawnmower. I got through much of the individual stages just beating on folks with that alone. Once the bosses show up, it's a different matter, but for stages, it makes things much more manageable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I could have sworn we had one, but the wiki's coming up blank. Talos Principle?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

PMush Perfect posted:

I could have sworn we had one, but the wiki's coming up blank. Talos Principle?

I definitely wrote some here but I don't know if they were ever added.

Kanfy posted:

The Talos Principle mostly speaks for itself but here's a handful of things.

* Thorough exploration can be rewarding as there are numerous hidden things in the game in the form of dozens of minor (and some major) easter eggs and hidden stars required to access bonus areas.

* It's important to experiment with puzzle objects to see how they function and interact with each other as some tougher puzzles require using them in ways that aren't immediately obvious or even seem counterproductive at first glance.

* Many stars require thinking outside the box in order to reach them, keep an eye out for possible paths and consider what tools you might need and where to get them.

* You can adjust your character's movement speed from the game settings if it feels too slow. There's also a bindable fast forward button in the keybind setting, at least in the PC version.

* The answers you pick when interacting with various terminals can potentially have plot consequences, but they will not lock you out of any endings.

* The color of each sigil (tetromino) indicates what it unlocks once a full set is completed: Green sigils unlock progress and new puzzle hubs, yellow sigils unlock new puzzle tools, red sigils unlock new floors in the forbidden tower and gray sigils which are found exclusively in star bonus areas eventually unlock an extra ending should you find it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
after looking at uzworm's dragon warrior monsters 2 lp and remembering i played it in some capacity years ago i want to play it again (or some other game in the series, if it is considered better) and i don't remember much about the mechanics or depth thereof (though i suspect in-game explanation and documentation were poor)

anything i should know?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 27, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

juliuspringle posted:

Honestly I found Lilith to be crazy good in BL1, especially if you spec into Mind Games - the daze effect is stupidly crippling.

Gaige or Krieg (the two DLC characters) are the most fun to play BL2 solo with. Or with friends.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

theshim posted:

Honestly I found Lilith to be crazy good in BL1, especially if you spec into Mind Games - the daze effect is stupidly crippling.

Gaige or Krieg (the two DLC characters) are the most fun to play BL2 solo with. Or with friends.
Gaige and Krieg are hilarious to play as/with, because from an outside perspective you see either:
(Gaige): Why is my ally shooting at the floor, and hitting? I don't understand bullets anymore.
(Krieg): Where did he run off t---oh everything's dead in the next two zones and he's just running around screaming still.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

A tip for Mass Effect: Andromeda

It's not a game mechanic really, but....

- Before you go to Eos first time, or as soon after that as you have the means, upgrade one of your weapons to mark II or mark III, by buying or crafting. Enemies can be quite bullet-spongy, even on normal, and without skillpoints, you don't have many tools to deal with that. A better weapon goes a long way. Pistol is a good all-round choice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Another tip for Mass Effect: Andromeda:

- Pay attention to the tooltips for passive skills; the first three levels of the passive skills give you a bonus based on the total amount of skill points spent in combat/tech/biotic skills in general, not just the points spent on that specific skill.

So for example, if you wanted to do lots of damage with assault rifles, you can spend just one point in the assault rifles passive to unlock the damage bonus, and then spend a bunch of points on other combat skills, and your damage bonus will increase for each point that you spend on combat skills.

This is good to know in case you're already planning to focus heavily in just one of the three skill types; as long as you're spending all those points already, it's in your interest to unlock the first level or two of each passive in the tree, since it can amount to a significant bonus for not a lot of investment.

Conversely, it might not be worth it to invest in those passives if you're otherwise planning to spend your points elsewhere. For example, if you're planning to focus heavily in biotics, it's not necessarily adviseable to unlock all 6 levels of a gun passive, since you're not getting quite as much out of it as you might think; it might be better to just spend those points on biotic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just started jonesing to play some Fallout 3 again. The first time I played stealth, small guns. Any other fun play styles? Is strength melee any fun or unarmed?