Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nm posted:

The acura tsx wagon is fun to drive (though slow and auto only) and probably reliable.

Tough to find and not available new anymore if he cares about that.

The Golf Sportwagen is definitely a better choice other than the "reliability" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: Disclaimer: I am a filthy European foreigner but here goes :siren:

Proposed Budget: €25K but that’s probably not going to say a lot to you guys. Vehicle taxes in my market are stupid high and depreciation is relatively low so new and used prices are way higher than most other parts of Europe, let alone America.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Midsize sedan, maybe a compact CUV? Wife and I have a kid on the way so that probably rules out compact sedans and hatches.
How will you be using the car? Daily(ish) driver, mostly city traffic with some occasional trips to the countryside (likely once or twice a year with a pretty limited amount of luggage).
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Nah. Wife wants an automatic and I don’t mind so that’s what we’re going for. Parking sensors would be nice, but gizmos are not a priority beyond that.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership, family friendliness, fuel economy (to an extent), no uggos
Outside the U.S.? Yes, Finland. Moderate to heavy snow and slush between November and March. Snow tires are mandatory in the winter so that’s covered.

Long story short, my wife and I have concluded that my 2009 Fiat Grande Punto just isn’t going to cut it anymore once we have a stroller and all kinds of baby poo poo to haul around.

We’re primarily considering low mileage, 2014 and later model sedans and CUVs. Wagons are super popular where I live, but my wife and I are not fans of that particular body style. Pretty much everyone here thinks they are the only way to go if you have kids, and people on local car forums will obviously tell me I'm an idiot for even considering anything else for my use case, full stop, end of discussion. Granted, I'm not a parent yet and I lack the first-hand experience but I'm having a really hard time believing it’s actually going to be that bad. What are your thoughts? What is the go-to option in places like the US where wagons are not a huge thing?

Stuff within our price range that we have considered:
  • Mazda 6
  • Toyota Avensis (European midsize not-Camry)
  • Honda Accord
  • Nissan Qashqai (Rogue Sport in the US?)
  • Honda HR-V
  • Kia Sportage
  • Mitsubishi ASX (Outlander Sport in the US?)

Stuff roughly €5K above our proposed budget, but within reach if absolutely necessary:
  • Ford Mondeo (Euro Fusion)
  • Mazda CX-5
  • Honda CR-V
  • Subaru Forester
  • Hyundai Tucson (stretching it)
  • Toyota RAV4 (stretching it)

Stuff I like but hesitate to consider because of room concerns:
  • Mazda 3 sedan
  • Toyota Corolla
  • Toyota Prius
  • Honda Civic sedan

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

H110Hawk posted:

M6 Gran Coupe
AMG E65 Wagon
:getin:

If you read my full post the E63 Wagon is my dream car. You can get a 2014 used for just a shade over 70k. I have considered this.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

nm posted:

Getting an AMG fixed anywhere in Iowa but des moines and near Omaha is gonna be fun.

There are several decent MB dealers in E. Iowa.

You might be able to watch in real time as I talk myself into a used $60,000 wagon in a year's time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If you read my full post the E63 Wagon is my dream car. You can get a 2014 used for just a shade over 70k. I have considered this.

I didn't see your edit. A local friend got his R8 through a broker who found it in Texas, arranged an inspection, shipping, and payment. I would suggest using something like that if you decide to go into bonkers-ville. I am also sad they don't make a 65 version of the wagon. An M6-sized wagon is my dream car. M5 is too small. This country needs more wagons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GlitterBob posted:

:siren: Disclaimer: I am a filthy European foreigner but here goes :siren:

Proposed Budget: €25K but that’s probably not going to say a lot to you guys. Vehicle taxes in my market are stupid high and depreciation is relatively low so new and used prices are way higher than most other parts of Europe, let alone America.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Midsize sedan, maybe a compact CUV? Wife and I have a kid on the way so that probably rules out compact sedans and hatches.
How will you be using the car? Daily(ish) driver, mostly city traffic with some occasional trips to the countryside (likely once or twice a year with a pretty limited amount of luggage).
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Nah. Wife wants an automatic and I don’t mind so that’s what we’re going for. Parking sensors would be nice, but gizmos are not a priority beyond that.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership, family friendliness, fuel economy (to an extent), no uggos
Outside the U.S.? Yes, Finland. Moderate to heavy snow and slush between November and March. Snow tires are mandatory in the winter so that’s covered.

Long story short, my wife and I have concluded that my 2009 Fiat Grande Punto just isn’t going to cut it anymore once we have a stroller and all kinds of baby poo poo to haul around.

We’re primarily considering low mileage, 2014 and later model sedans and CUVs. Wagons are super popular where I live, but my wife and I are not fans of that particular body style. Pretty much everyone here thinks they are the only way to go if you have kids, and people on local car forums will obviously tell me I'm an idiot for even considering anything else for my use case, full stop, end of discussion. Granted, I'm not a parent yet and I lack the first-hand experience but I'm having a really hard time believing it’s actually going to be that bad. What are your thoughts? What is the go-to option in places like the US where wagons are not a huge thing?

Stuff within our price range that we have considered:
  • Mazda 6
  • Toyota Avensis (European midsize not-Camry)
  • Honda Accord
  • Nissan Qashqai (Rogue Sport in the US?)
  • Honda HR-V
  • Kia Sportage
  • Mitsubishi ASX (Outlander Sport in the US?)

Stuff roughly €5K above our proposed budget, but within reach if absolutely necessary:
  • Ford Mondeo (Euro Fusion)
  • Mazda CX-5
  • Honda CR-V
  • Subaru Forester
  • Hyundai Tucson (stretching it)
  • Toyota RAV4 (stretching it)

Stuff I like but hesitate to consider because of room concerns:
  • Mazda 3 sedan
  • Toyota Corolla
  • Toyota Prius
  • Honda Civic sedan

When in doubt, check out what the cops use. According to wikipedia, the not-camry in your price range is something they field. Having driven a Camry in snow for many years I feel that they're fine. Owning a Mazda3, I would kill myself before trying to manage a carseat in a compact, the Camry had one in it on a few occasions and it was no problem. Camrys are boring as all get out, but reliable and roomy enough, mine was a 90s model, so I couldn't speak to current TCO but it's a toyota so. Ditto on Accords in my personal experience.

The Prius has plenty of room, and if you're concerned, check out the PriusV. I have no idea if that's an option in Finnland though? I would go look at some if I were you because really it ticks all your boxes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Any reaso that euro man isn't considering euro brands? Renault Megane or Captur. VW Tiguan. Skoda Yeti, Octavia or Rapid.

I had a qashqai and loving hated it though the dCi engine is very nice. Better to get it in a Renault. Are you in Helsinki or the sticks?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Anybody have any experience putting an infant carseat in a Golf R?

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

IRQ posted:

When in doubt, check out what the cops use. According to wikipedia, the not-camry in your price range is something they field. Having driven a Camry in snow for many years I feel that they're fine. Owning a Mazda3, I would kill myself before trying to manage a carseat in a compact, the Camry had one in it on a few occasions and it was no problem. Camrys are boring as all get out, but reliable and roomy enough, mine was a 90s model, so I couldn't speak to current TCO but it's a toyota so. Ditto on Accords in my personal experience.

The Prius has plenty of room, and if you're concerned, check out the PriusV. I have no idea if that's an option in Finnland though? I would go look at some if I were you because really it ticks all your boxes.

Got it. Turns out armored MB Sprinters are hard to come by, so VW Transporter van it is :v:

There's a ton of regional variation in the regular squad car fleet, but I believe the most common ones are Ford Mondeo (older models, not the cool new faux Aston) and Skoda Octavia. You're right in that Avensis squad cars supposedly exist as well but I've never seen one.

The Prius V is sold as the Prius+ here but there are virtually none available on the used market.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Any reaso that euro man isn't considering euro brands? Renault Megane or Captur. VW Tiguan. Skoda Yeti, Octavia or Rapid.

I had a qashqai and loving hated it though the dCi engine is very nice. Better to get it in a Renault. Are you in Helsinki or the sticks?

To be honest, I didn't even realize my list was that Asian until now. What did you hate about the Qashqai? I'm in Helsinki.

The Octavia was initially on the list (enormous trunk capacity and liftback design is a huge bonus) but it has two major issues that scare the poo poo out of me. First, the most common engines in my price range are the 1.4 TSI and 1.8 TSI, and they're not exactly known as trouble free. Catastrophic timing chain failures are a thing of the past as of 2013 (when they decided that timing belts are the future) but there's still a good chance of ending up with one that guzzles oil like crazy or runs rough on cold days. Second, since we're looking for an automatic, that would mean taking a gamble on the 7-speed DSG that reportedly suffers from mechatronic issues. Not that big of a risk on a new car with a factory warranty, but less appealing when buying used.

The Yeti will not be an option as long as I have the gift of sight. Tiguan is pretty pricey.

The Captur is neat, I've been seeing lots of those recently. Back seat looks a tad cramped from photos, but I'll have to check it out more closely in person. The larger Kadjar is surprisingly affordable as well. Megane is hatch only, but I'll look into the Talisman. I remember many French cars were plagued by electrical issues when I was a kid in the 90s, do they have their poo poo together now?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The go-to in the US is SUVs. It used to be sedans but I think SUVs are now the best selling segment. If you specifically want a sedan I think the newer Mazda 6's do look pretty nice and that's on your main list. I'm sure an Accord would be good too but I think the 6 looks better. If you do go with an SUV type thing the CX-5 and CR-V are great, as is the Forester post-headgasket years. I can't think of any good reasons to stretch your budget for a Rav-4 or whatever instead of those.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Anybody have any experience putting an infant carseat in a Golf R?

Does a GTi cover it? https://www.cars.com/articles/2016-volkswagen-golf-gti-car-seat-check-1420685137612/

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Looking for a 2009 - 2011 luxury sedan with less than 90,00 miles.

Mainly used as a daily driver around Houston and commuter for work.

Budget is sub 11k and looking at the following:

Infiniti G35/G37
BMW 3 series (specifically 328i)
Audi A4

I have a mechanic who can service all of them but still worried at long term maintenance costs, reliability, etc.

Looking to keep it 4-5+ years and get it up to 200,000 miles ish.

In my order of preference just from looks it would be:
BMW
Infiniti
Audi

Any thoughts, suggestions, or feedback is appreciated.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Alfalfa posted:

Looking for a 2009 - 2011 luxury sedan with less than 90,00 miles.

Mainly used as a daily driver around Houston and commuter for work.

Budget is sub 11k and looking at the following:

Infiniti G35/G37
BMW 3 series (specifically 328i)
Audi A4

I have a mechanic who can service all of them but still worried at long term maintenance costs, reliability, etc.

Looking to keep it 4-5+ years and get it up to 200,000 miles ish.

In my order of preference just from looks it would be:
BMW
Infiniti
Audi

Any thoughts, suggestions, or feedback is appreciated.

My thoughts? All of these are not a good idea. The Infiniti is probably the least bad idea on the list. The G37 came out in 2008, you won't find a 2009 G35. I believe there was some overlap between the G35 and G37 though, maybe the G37 was a 2008.5 or something. Doesn't really matter.

With your requirements the first car I would look, for is a Lexus ES, but those are out of your price range, and the ones in your price range in Houston have 150K miles on them.

My next suggestion is an Acura TSX. I'd probably recommend one of those before a BMW or Audi.

I'm sure you want the BMW though, and Houston is chocked full of 328i's in your price range so enjoy your BMW

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The G37 has like 100 more horsepower than the BMW or Audi, is that important?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

skipdogg posted:

My thoughts? All of these are not a good idea. The Infiniti is probably the least bad idea on the list. The G37 came out in 2008, you won't find a 2009 G35. I believe there was some overlap between the G35 and G37 though, maybe the G37 was a 2008.5 or something. Doesn't really matter.

With your requirements the first car I would look, for is a Lexus ES, but those are out of your price range, and the ones in your price range in Houston have 150K miles on them.

My next suggestion is an Acura TSX. I'd probably recommend one of those before a BMW or Audi.

I'm sure you want the BMW though, and Houston is chocked full of 328i's in your price range so enjoy your BMW

Appreciate it and I'm actually totally open. I'll definitely look into the tsx amd see what I can find regarding a Lexus. Just the ES or would you say an IS falls in there as well?

Also why would none of those be a good idea?

Throatwarbler posted:

The G37 has like 100 more horsepower than the BMW or Audi, is that important?

Nah not that big of a deal to me. Would be more fun though and remind me of the 2007 Infinit g35 I used to have.

Edit: Found a Lexus I'll research more tomorrow - JTHBJ46G892276251

Alfalfa fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 24, 2017

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
My girlfriend and I are shopping for a Prius in the $10-12k range. Should we avoid anything with a reported accident or is it still worth getting a pre-purchase inspection and deciding based on that? This is the Carfax for the one we're considering which says:

quote:

Accident reported
Involving front or side impact
Involving left side impact
with another motor vehicle
Damage reported to:
Left front
Left rear
Left side
Airbags did not deploy

It's a 2010 Prius II with 63k miles listed at $11k recently reduced from $12k.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Alfalfa posted:

Appreciate it and I'm actually totally open. I'll definitely look into the tsx amd see what I can find regarding a Lexus. Just the ES or would you say an IS falls in there as well?

Also why would none of those be a good idea?

You mentioned in your original post that you had some concerns about reliability and maintenance costs. Audi and BMW are known for being a bit more expensive to maintain and not being the most reliable cars. I don't know anything about Infiniti. It's not just labor, parts for those cars are more expensive. Going to an independent mechanic can save you some money on labor but there's no way of getting around the high cost of the parts themselves.

Have you looked up the service schedule for any of these cars? Within your budget, you're probably looking at higher mileage cars and there's the potential of a high cost repair coming up. For example, you may buy a car and within a few thousand miles have to get the timing belt changed and that's pricey on all cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

I don't know anything about Infiniti.

Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan. Infiniti is Nissan. That should tell you enough right there.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan. Infiniti is Nissan. That should tell you enough right there.

Ouch. Harsh but true.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've heard this before. Anecdotally, my family has an '07 Altima that has never really given us trouble. I think it's sitting at 125,000 miles and there's nothing we've done for maintenance besides wear items.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mariooncrack posted:

I've heard this before. Anecdotally, my family has an '07 Altima that has never really given us trouble. I think it's sitting at 125,000 miles and there's nothing we've done for maintenance besides wear items.

I guess the early Nissan CVTs weren't as reliable as you would expect a typical Japanese car would be, maybe that's one way Nissan might be comparable to Chrysler. I really don't think it's true. Modern Nissans are largely boring softly sprung cars with cheap interiors and a lot of incentives. If anything they are more like GM than Chrysler.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I always thought Mitsubishi were the Chrysler analogue.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Mitsu barely exists in the US market at this point (although apparently on the upswing) and as of last year Nissan is a controlling shareholder so I mean what's really the difference? Chrysler is the Fiat of the US?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

Speaking of Mitsubishi would a Lancer 2012-2015 be a decent car for my original goals?

I'm opening up the search window some so things like Mitsubishi Lancers, Ford Fusions, Mazda MX6, and base Nissan Altimas are starting to show up.

Thoughts on any of those?

Most websites seem to bash on the Lancer so they don't seem that great but I thought they were basically gone.

Older Lexus ES (2010 or older)
Infiniti G37 (2009 or newer)
Mitsubishi Lancer (2012-2015)
Ford Fusion (2013-2014)
Mazda MX6 (2012-2014)
Nissan Altima (2012 - newer)

I really appreciate the help and feedback you guys have provided so far.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Any opinions on the 2017 Civics? Looking for a car for my wife, and she really likes the new body styles-- specifically, the hatchback. Unfortunately for us we're in the market now/near future, I would love it we could wait a year and get a year-end deal or something gently used. We test drove one today and they feel nice, so we're pretty sure this is 'the one'.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CloFan posted:

Any opinions on the 2017 Civics? Looking for a car for my wife, and she really likes the new body styles-- specifically, the hatchback. Unfortunately for us we're in the market now/near future, I would love it we could wait a year and get a year-end deal or something gently used. We test drove one today and they feel nice, so we're pretty sure this is 'the one'.

Should be a good, sturdy car. Acceleration and handling will be adequate, not great. Interior spartan but comfortable.

Excellent car for getting you from point A to point B with minimal fuss or cost. The fun will be in being at your destinations rather than getting there. It performs that function with minimal maintenance and cost.

An enthusiast would consider it a fairly boring car, but if it meets your needs and you like it well enough you'll get good service form it for years. It's the sort of car you appreciate rather than love.

You could do far worse. Enjoy your Honda.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

CloFan posted:

It's a Civic so it does Civic things.

On a personal note I find it the most roomy compact on the Market today. I felt fine sitting in the back and I'm 6 foot tall. It's a weird yet important test for me

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

CloFan posted:

Go have her drive a Mazda3 and compare. I thought the new Civic was one of the worst of the economy compacts I tried. Very rough ride, nothing exciting about the driving dynamics, bad sound system (especially with the upgrade tweeters). I do kind of like the extreme modern looks, though.

Gently used Accord is a way better bet, or even new depending on the trim levels you're looking at. I was surprised at how little the price difference was, given that it's a far nicer car in pretty much every way.

That said, I agree that it's not a bad choice, but I'd be more excited about a Mazda3 or Impreza, unless your wife is stuck on the Honda Sensing stuff, because while you can get comparable or even better in your other options you can't get it at base trim levels. Speaking of which, what trim is she looking at?

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Been looking at cars, my budget is about $10-17k and was looking for a small/mid sized sedan. My current thought is a Ford Focus, and I've been looking at both new and used ones, but I'm seeing new 2016's still sitting on the lot getting discounted, all the more enticing with the X-plan discount I can get through my job. Nothing's majorly wrong with my current car beyond it's age so I'm not under the gun there, but my understanding is the 2016 Focus would only be eligible for the X-plan discount until the 2018's come out.

Any opinions on the Focus or other cars I should be considering? My daily commute is less than 30mi round trip, and I'm looking for one with higher trim for the larger screen for the back up camera and heated seats since I live in Michigan.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BrokenKnees posted:

Been looking at cars, my budget is about $10-17k and was looking for a small/mid sized sedan. My current thought is a Ford Focus, and I've been looking at both new and used ones, but I'm seeing new 2016's still sitting on the lot getting discounted, all the more enticing with the X-plan discount I can get through my job. Nothing's majorly wrong with my current car beyond it's age so I'm not under the gun there, but my understanding is the 2016 Focus would only be eligible for the X-plan discount until the 2018's come out.

Any opinions on the Focus or other cars I should be considering? My daily commute is less than 30mi round trip, and I'm looking for one with higher trim for the larger screen for the back up camera and heated seats since I live in Michigan.

Buy the manual transmission model. If you can't drive a manual buy a Mazda3 instead.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Also if you get a new Honda Civic and you don't get it in Energy Green you did it wrong.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Coredump posted:

Also if you get a new Honda Civic and you don't get it in Energy Green you did it wrong.

My god. :stare: Who knew they came in anything other than taffeta white.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess the early Nissan CVTs weren't as reliable as you would expect a typical Japanese car would be, maybe that's one way Nissan might be comparable to Chrysler. I really don't think it's true. Modern Nissans are largely boring softly sprung cars with cheap interiors and a lot of incentives. If anything they are more like GM than Chrysler.

The lengthy Franco-Lebanese cost cutting dick of Carlos Ghosn made the interiors feel like Chryslers in that they're a sea of depressing, low quality materials.

GlitterBob posted:

To be honest, I didn't even realize my list was that Asian until now. What did you hate about the Qashqai? I'm in Helsinki.

The Octavia was initially on the list (enormous trunk capacity and liftback design is a huge bonus) but it has two major issues that scare the poo poo out of me. First, the most common engines in my price range are the 1.4 TSI and 1.8 TSI, and they're not exactly known as trouble free. Catastrophic timing chain failures are a thing of the past as of 2013 (when they decided that timing belts are the future) but there's still a good chance of ending up with one that guzzles oil like crazy or runs rough on cold days. Second, since we're looking for an automatic, that would mean taking a gamble on the 7-speed DSG that reportedly suffers from mechatronic issues. Not that big of a risk on a new car with a factory warranty, but less appealing when buying used.

The Yeti will not be an option as long as I have the gift of sight. Tiguan is pretty pricey.

The Captur is neat, I've been seeing lots of those recently. Back seat looks a tad cramped from photos, but I'll have to check it out more closely in person. The larger Kadjar is surprisingly affordable as well. Megane is hatch only, but I'll look into the Talisman. I remember many French cars were plagued by electrical issues when I was a kid in the 90s, do they have their poo poo together now?

Renaults are pretty decent at this point. I would prefer the Kadjar to it's sibling the Qashqai because the interior on the Nissan is loving tragic. The features were abundant but of low quality (lovely satnav, overactive sonar, etc), the drive was numb, the engine was good, and the interior materials quality was dreadful. I think the Kadjar is likely to solve more of the problems. It was also just too big, I hate big cars.

Can't you find a diesel Octavia? Granted you are literally murdering the environment like the Exxon Valdez but they're pretty reliable. I think by now the DSG problems have been ironed out, I remember them being pretty bad in say '09 with the Mechatronix. You can always get an extended warranty on the powertrain.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

You could do far worse. Enjoy your Honda.

sbaldrick posted:

It's a Civic so it does Civic things.
Thanks! Regarding it being boring to drive, we're coming from a Jeep Compass and you don't get much more boring than that. Reliability is key, and Civics are known for that I guess.

AriTheDog posted:

Go have her drive a Mazda3 and compare. I thought the new Civic was one of the worst of the economy compacts I tried. Very rough ride, nothing exciting about the driving dynamics, bad sound system (especially with the upgrade tweeters). I do kind of like the extreme modern looks, though.

Gently used Accord is a way better bet, or even new depending on the trim levels you're looking at. I was surprised at how little the price difference was, given that it's a far nicer car in pretty much every way.

That said, I agree that it's not a bad choice, but I'd be more excited about a Mazda3 or Impreza, unless your wife is stuck on the Honda Sensing stuff, because while you can get comparable or even better in your other options you can't get it at base trim levels. Speaking of which, what trim is she looking at?

Yeah I'm not sure if she's dead-set on a Civic at this point, but I had suggested a Mazda3 and a couple other hatchbacks to go try. The trim level options suck-- it's either Sport and the thing looks real fuckin' nice, or EX and the thing looks OK but has lane assist, blind spot camera, moonroof, etc. If you want both, you also get dumb poo poo like paddle shifters, nav system (who uses vehicle nav in the era of smartphones?), leather heated seats, and a bunch of other stuff we don't want. If we go with a Civic, we'll probably go Sport.

Budget of ~24k, btw.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I fort to mention the best part of the Civic. At least in Canada all the horrible nanny features are an optional extra so you can load it up without having the stupid systems that will break and be expensive to fix or work and cause you to have a massive accident.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I cannot tell you how much I hate having a touchscreen as a radio interface. Like there's not even a volume knob on the thing, it's dumb.

Lane assist sounds pretty fuckin' cool though, tbh

e: oh and don't get me started on motorized seat adjustments

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CloFan posted:

e: oh and don't get me started on motorized seat adjustments

Yeah I love cranking five levers for a few minutes every time my 4'11" wife uses the car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah I love cranking five levers for a few minutes every time my 4'11" wife uses the car.

I am always surprised when I realize they make electric seats without memory. Talk about the worst of all worlds.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Do most newer cars have the seat memory feature? My mom and my sister borrow my car a lot, it'd be nice to just press a button to get it where I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

prom candy posted:

Do most newer cars have the seat memory feature? My mom and my sister borrow my car a lot, it'd be nice to just press a button to get it where I like it.

Depends on the car. It's more of an upscale feature.