Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Those little shits don't waste any time huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
14th queen is obviously Shangela

but no really, if that spoiler is true I'm very happy to get more goddesses

Great first episode, Gaga was a fantastic judge, I agree there's no clear standout winner. Jaymes is an early out. My faves so far are probably Nina, Sasha, and Valentina surprised me a bit being a drag baby, but we've only had two runways so it's pretty hard to judge who is going to be funny and good at performing.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I think if aja didn't do those awful fake freckles it wouldn't be near as bad, it just exaggerates her texture so much more
she's just...not great at makeup

doesn't excuse people being assholes to her of course

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Troposphere posted:

I think if aja didn't do those awful fake freckles it wouldn't be near as bad, it just exaggerates her texture so much more
she's just...not great at makeup

doesn't excuse people being assholes to her of course

Yeah the execution of Aja's makeup is not good but at least it's draggy, Jaymes' was worse imo, she's barely wearing any.

I just finished Untucked and kinda feel bad for Jaymes, Charlie specifically calls her out and asks her why she's being so quiet, Jaymes seems super uncomfortable and overshadowed by the other queens.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
I loved the first episode. Seems like a great group of queens.

My husband is from Florida and a theme park nut. He really thought Trinity could have done better showing off the Theme Park theme she was going for if she stuffed in some of the more iconic rides from DW or Universal. I liked it though.

Nina really surprised me. I didn't know if I would like her aesthetic, but her peach was great and I really want to see more from her. She is in my top three for sure. I also really like Alexis, but I don't know if she will go far. Her Gaga gown looked stunning and was one of my favorite Gaga looks.

Also, Ross cracked me up with all the hot dog puns. I really love him as a judge.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Ross' flurry of puns reminded me why I love him as a judge so much :allears:
Eureka's constant shade got pretty grating after the first few minutes, and I hope that gets toned down later on.

Does anyone actually believe Ru when she says nobody's getting eliminated? I don't know what play on the elimination system is happening to make that not a straight up lie, but I hope it's explained quickly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He was only talking about the premiere, and nobody was eliminated.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

curiousTerminal posted:

Eureka's constant shade got pretty grating after the first few minutes, and I hope that gets toned down later on.

Does anyone actually believe Ru when she says nobody's getting eliminated? I don't know what play on the elimination system is happening to make that not a straight up lie, but I hope it's explained quickly.

she just meant for the first episode. You can see in the promos that they'll be going back to the main stage, probably starting next episode. I imagine that's when we'll get our LSFYLs.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

curiousTerminal posted:

esperterra posted:

He was only talking about the premiere, and nobody was eliminated.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's only for this episode and my guess is no one was eliminated because of the 14th mystery queen. If someone had been eliminated it would have been less fair to then bring a queen back from previous seasons.

So, is Jaymes Mansfield mostly a youtube personality? Does she perform at clubs much? She really seems out of her element and has a tough time responding to shade or being witty/funny in a room with a bunch of loud personalities.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Farrah Moan looks like a drag queen version of Tomi Lahren.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
that drat girl has a hotdog on her head

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I just saw Untucked and drat, Lady Gaga is so fair in her assessments. The episode also made Nina a lot more favorable, in my opinion. To go from not knowing what's going to happen in your life to entering Drag Race and winning the first challenge is awesome. I'm impressed.

Poor Jaymes though. Untucked just proves further how out of her depth she seems. Charlie seems really cool though, having given Jaymes a chance to speak above the super loud personalities.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Charlie's a UK based queen, yeah? Is that our first?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZLlCU_k4sM

drat I like charlie so much more after seeing her dunk on lana del rey

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Troposphere posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZLlCU_k4sM

drat I like charlie so much more after seeing her dunk on lana del rey

If she doesn't do Lana on Snatch Game, I will be very sad.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I just realized who aja reminds me of

carrot top

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Jaymes Mansfield is in a position that always bums me out: she's out of her league and she's 100% aware of the fact.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Just finished Untucked and I wanted to give Nina a big giant hug. She seems so unsure of herself and her life. She's a star and can't see it.

Untucked made me renew my love of Gaga. She seems to fully understand the position she's in, being a gay icon and idol to so many young people. She seems like she takes that responsibility very seriously and with a lot of humility. I love how when Valentina tried to thank her, she turned it back and was like, no thank you.

Anyhow, Jaymes definitely needs someone to help her, like Bianca helped Adore. Charlie seemed like he wanted to genuinely help but that was not the time or place.

Eureka I like, but I feel like she's trying to push the drama. Like, during the entrances she read everyone as they came in. Then she tried to do the whole bottom 2 thing on untucked. It seems manufactured, like she's trying to be edgy but she backs off really quick when others don't play along.

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde

Pan Dulce posted:

I hope she does her loving fantastic Joan Rivers. In any case, if Charlie doesn't make it to Snatch Game it will be a tragedy.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Pan Dulce posted:

To be honest, Charlie has so many characters she could do for Snatch Game like Madonna, Joan Rivers, Sharon Osborne. After going on a YouTube binge of her videos yesterday, she's a really funny bitch and I'd love to see her make it to snatch game just to see what she'd pull out. I'm personally pulling for Madonna.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

tasukiscool posted:

In any case, if Charlie doesn't make it to Snatch Game it will be a tragedy.

I have no doubt that Charlie will make the Snatch Game. The Producers will make it happen.

I swear I thought Eureka would have been in the bottom two based on her editing. It was so "let's get to know the girl who is leaving soon".

Dr. McCheese
Sep 19, 2007
I ♥ Katamari.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Meanwhile, loved the episode. I wish the Ronnie facade was kept up longer. It was amazing. I didn't like Eureka hijacking Gaga's entrance and immediately making Gaga all about him.

https://youtu.be/BAPU_jVckx4

According to this it was kept up longer, but that didn't make the final cut somehow. There are some bonus clips with Lady Gaga on Logo, but none of what Charlie describes. :smith:

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
After watching Untucked I really like James. For her imperfections, she is endearing. I do hope someone takes her under their breast plate and gives her a hand.

Looking at the last trends, the winner of the first challenge makes it to the top three (sans Morgan McMichales). I wonder if Eureka will make it as they haven't crowed a big girl and I wonder how far Peppermint will go. As the first woman who has transitioned before the show, I think the producers would want her to progress far. Given the temperament of the fans and their ability to turn manic at the drop of a hat, it could go bad if she is cut early. She's polished and talented, so it wouldn't be just handed to her.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
This is from last month, but I really love this video of Ross describing meeting Gaga:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z7Iqj3vzIg

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
rewatched the episode and I'm pretty confident the reddit spoilers were correct about the 14th queen

there are several shots of her backside walking up to the runway, there's no mistaking that cucu!

I think CLF will be a great addition, we don't seem to have any kooky queens this season

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
I hope not. She's annoying, and literally can't go two sentences without saying cucu.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

It's not her usual hairstyle, but I really, really want it to be Laila. she's improved so much in the past year!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

the escape goat posted:

It's not her usual hairstyle, but I really, really want it to be Laila. she's improved so much in the past year!

I haven't seen anything, but I know that Bob has taken her under his wing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If it is her I hope she's polished herself a good deal. I really thought she was unfunny and annoying during her stint.

e: the drag equivalent of a The Pest era John Leguizamo

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 27, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Yodzilla posted:

If it is her I hope she's polished herself a good deal. I really thought she was unfunny and annoying during her stint.

e: the drag equivalent of a The Pest era John Leguizamo

Regarding the new queen: Yeah. I was fine with her, but I'm sure that her schtick would've lost it's welcome had she stayed more than 3 episodes.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I watched Untucked for the first episode and I loved listening to Gaga give her critiques of the queens and her perspective of how she interacts with the gay community. There's a thoughtfulness and personability that she has when she's not in character.

After the first episode I kinda like Charlie right now.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm pretty much okay with anybody winning at this point except maybe Trinity. She seems the most boring. I'd be very happy with Shea, Nina, or Farrah.

I like Farrah a lot cause I don't expect the young pretty one to be puppy-adorable and not bitchy.

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
This is such an unrealistic wish but I want the mystery queen to be Chi Chi, I love her so much.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm so glad Nina won the first challenge! Being a sucker for unique look queens (like Kim and Betty), I had her as one of my favorites once the cast rumors started. Her promo look and MTQ video sealed her place in my heart, but I was extremely worried she'd be an early out due to lack of appearances in other promos. Hopefully the trend of first-challenge-winners making it to top 3 holds true.

Other favorites I have from the MTQs and a preliminary Instagram skim are Alexis and Aja, but every queen so far is quite likable.

Random observations about each queen:

Nina - She has this amazing "living cartoon" style of makeup that we haven't really seen done on the show. We already saw it with her mouse and peach, but I can't wait to see more. Some examples from her IG: 1, 2, 3, 4
Alexis - I love her motherly personality, which is a hilarious contrast to her total babeness out of drag.
Aja - I kind of appreciate how she seems like she'd be a Naomi Smalls type (i.e. body-ody-ody), but is actually quite willing to do more out-there looks. For example, one of the first pics of her drag I saw. She's already done it in the first episode picking a Gaga outfit that intentionally hides her figure.
Jaymes - Gaga was spot on with her critique. Jaymes definitely seems to use humor as a defense mechanism. She reminds me a bit of one of my favorite queens, Trixie, so I hope we get to see her blossom before she goes.
Charlie - Unbelievable that she is the oldest queen to compete on the show. In drag she looks nearly 30 years younger. I'm glad that she seems to go the motherly route rather than the bitter old queen route.
Shea - I got Trinity vibes from her MTQ - soft spoken, but able to put out amazing runways. In the first episode, she (pleasantly) surprised me with her witty quips and comments. I could see her coining some catchphrases this season.
Eureka - Ginger-lite, in the sense of being a Southern poo poo-stirring big girl. I don't really see her as malicious though, and a lot of her shady comments seem more like attempts at humor. Her hometown look made me cackle, so I can give her a pass as long as she shows she has a good sense of humor.
Peppermint - Seems like a strong well-rounded queen. I hear good things about her, and I think I saw a glimpse of an amazing peppermint candy look of hers in the latest trailer.
Sasha - Probably the most polished "artsy" queen yet, so this should be fun to see. Judges are generally pretty critical of the Milk-types, but they've had issues with execution in the past.
Valentina - Amazing how refined she seems, not just as a baby queen, but in general. She has a very calculated way of communicating, while still feeling genuine.
Trinity - Strikes me as a more traditional queen, a la older seasons, but balances out this roster. Reminds me of Phoenix from season 3, but with personality, so that should help her stand out.
Kimora - From the MTQ video, struck me as a slightly more self-aware Gia Gunn. Hope she stays for a bit, so she can have some funny Gia-esque moments (already had one with in Untucked), but also to maybe pull out some surprises.
Farrah - Really glad she turned out to be kind of a sweetheart, unlike most fishy queens. A bit like Jade Jolie minus shade.
Mysterious 14th Queen - Cu-could it possibly be? I hope they do a Shangela joke, but it probably won't happen.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Whoever it is she better be in drag as Shangela.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
They should've just had a voiceover clip of Shangela's 'I'm back, Bitches!' at the end of the episode to totally throw everyone off with the actual reveal.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit!

One thing though- is I sort of wish the queens would stop being rewarded for being self referential.
Get by on your own merits, not the show's!
It felt like half of All-Stars 2 was just Alaska saying anus and referencing old seasons.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Poulpe posted:

One thing though- is I sort of wish the queens would stop being rewarded for being self referential.
Get by on your own merits, not the show's!
It felt like half of All-Stars 2 was just Alaska saying anus and referencing old seasons.

It's been this way since like season 3.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Gotta get that catchphrase to sink into the collective mindset before the season ends so you can make that money, honey.

Alaska is the catchphrase queen for sure. Both her albums are like 50% catchphrases over an EDM beat out of Garageband. Not even her own catchphrases either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

tote up a bags posted:

Gotta get that catchphrase to sink into the collective mindset before the season ends so you can make that money, honey.

You know I don't even mind if it's their own original catchphrase- purse first was tedious but whatever, but like Shea Couleé being "FROM CHIC-AG-O" just made my eyes roll back into my head, and of course the judges loved it.

• Locked thread