Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

also our decades of supporting their right wing dictatorships

We do that with Saudi Arabia too and all the terrorists and funding for them seems disproportionately to come from there. Or that creating a power vacuum in Iraq, arguably the most secular dictatorship in the region, fostered extremism. It's almost as if factors other than the majority religion are responsible for these conflicts. But don't tell Bill that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"islam isn't a race" is the dumbest defense because they're always bitching about arabs and persians. plus they make no separation between the various sects that are antagonistic towards one another.

while their own country is ruled by a christian fundamentalist oligarchy and many states are completely in thrall to such people.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

We do that with Saudi Arabia too and all the terrorists and funding for them seems disproportionately to come from there. Or that creating a power vacuum in Iraq, arguably the most secular dictatorship in the region, fostered extremism. It's almost as if factors other than the majority religion are responsible for these conflicts. But don't tell Bill that!

Factors other than the majority religion contribute, of course, but the majority religion is still the single unifying factor. There are lots of economically disadvantaged, oppressed, put-upon groups of people in the world. One group reliably forms a death cult under such circumstances, and the others almost universally do not.

Of course it's not "only" Islam, but it's just as dishonest to say it's not a major factor.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

"islam isn't a race" is the dumbest defense because they're always bitching about arabs and persians. plus they make no separation between the various sects that are antagonistic towards one another.

while their own country is ruled by a christian fundamentalist oligarchy and many states are completely in thrall to such people.

"Islam isn't a race" is actually usually used when people accuse islamic reformers of being "racist" for thinking that state-sanctioned oppression of women and gays and religious minorities are bad things. It's a pretty controversial opinion, I know.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nope.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Secular Humanist posted:

Factors other than the majority religion contribute, of course, but the majority religion is still the single unifying factor. There are lots of economically disadvantaged, oppressed, put-upon groups of people in the world. One group reliably forms a death cult under such circumstances, and the others almost universally do not.

Of course it's not "only" Islam, but it's just as dishonest to say it's not a major factor.

They aren't economically disadvantaged, that's ludicrous, and a large part of the problem. They're inconceivably wealthy and ruled by fascist governments that are the result of post-colonialism.

Holy poo poo, the center of terrorism, Saudi Arabia, is being called economically disadvantaged.

You and Maher would do well to remember that religion is a tool to control people, not a force unto itself.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Considering we have way more home grown terrorists that do actual damage. Focusing on one religion is dumb and of course Bill loves to just assume every one of the 1.6 billion muslims around the world are completely the same. Live in the same area, all look the same, all hate the US, and believe the exact same beliefs. For someone who pretends to be a Liberal it's pretty insulting.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 26, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People saying he's always going after Arabs: did he have nothing to say about the guy who snapped in a Minnesota mall? He was Somali, iirc.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
It's like anyone saying what Bill said is racist doesn't understand the concept of triage. He's not saying Christianity is good, he's saying currently Islam is worse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fundamentalist christianity is a much bigger threat to the united states than "islam" is.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

fundamentalist christianity is a much bigger threat to the united states than "islam" is.

ugh you just don't get it, false equivalency! *walks away* -BM

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Super Deuce posted:

It's like anyone saying what Bill said is racist doesn't understand the concept of triage. He's not saying Christianity is good, he's saying currently Islam is worse.

Oh I'm personally far more concerned about xtian radicals like the GOP, loving over women, gays, racial minorities, queers, transpeople, and so on and so on and so on in the name of their religious bullshit than I am of moose limbs instituting sharia law in the US like Bill thinks they as a group want to do.

Max Brooks was being inflammatory in calling the American right wing our Hamas but he wasn't wrong! The current (grossly illegitimate) supreme court nominee championed not paying for loving birth control in the name of xtianity. And you're worried about sharia?

I think religion is as stupid as Maher does, but he's a mental patient over islam.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Haha, moose limbs.

I was shouting at my tv that bill doesn't do any stand up in rural Idaho. That's where there's plenty of "Christian militia groups". Also D.C. Lol.

Yeah it's kinda sad, but just like you guys were saying about Saudi Arabia, it's us. We support that monarchy, and we used hopeless Muslim people to blow up communists during the Cold War (Charlie Wilson's War), now Russia is doing their best to use them against all Western nations.

The real topic that disturbed me about Friday's episode isn't what you guys are completely right about, that Bill becomes more of a crotchety old man every week, but that there's a real chance that this is not a legitimate presidency. What happens then?

Do we swing all the way through whatever shades of war into black with another nuclear power? Does Pence become president (not much better on the domestic war against anyone who isn't a white Christian male)?

Nixon was outed as much worse than we though he was, long after his death. Do we have to wait 50 years to find out the depths of the Trump administration's betrayal of the American people?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Would Pence not be implicated as well, considering he was part of the Trump campaign?

Not that President Paul Ryan would be much better.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Hah, yeah. Imagine if Ryan stepped down first. " Unelected President X" sounds like a bright future for America.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Solvent posted:

Hah, yeah. Imagine if Ryan stepped down first. " Unelected President X" sounds like a bright future for America.

As opposed to the really bright one we have now with a piss pig and a Lego guy who caused an AIDS outbreak in his home state?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I am constantly forgetting that Mike Pence exists

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Matt Zerella posted:

As opposed to the really bright one we have now with a piss pig and a Lego guy who caused an AIDS outbreak in his home state?

Well if the GOP allowed a piss pig like the one we got, what might they choose as his replacement in the vacancy of Paul Ryan?

Also gently caress pence. he's a part of that "American Hamas"

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Bass Bottles posted:

I am constantly forgetting that Mike Pence exists

To go a little further...

Yes, that's the problem with him, he flies under the radar by virtue of his disgusting overtly milquetoast with extra white bread way.

AIDS is a behind afterthought to someone who is happy to vote with taxpayer dollars, as to what is necessary in the healthy lives of Americans.

Personally, I'm all for defunding Planed Parenthood.

After Single Payer takes care of the majority of its responsibilities to women's reproductive health and choice.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rangpur posted:

Here's the thing though: a lot of our ability to adapt depends on a functioning government enacting policy with at least some basis in reality. We don't have that right now. Instead we have a gigantic grifting operation run by sociopaths to the furious applause of the very constituents they're loving over the hardest.

Trump's unable to dismantle Obamacare. Another colossal failure to deliver on a campaign promise. I must've heard him say "We're gonna repeal and replace Obamacare. We have to do it folks" approximately fifty times in the last few years at his asinine rallies. Confirming my thoughts and earlier proclamations before the election...he's lied once again. Trump doesn't know :wtf: he's doing.

Even plenty of staunch R voters are getting fed up with this junk and Trump's continuous lies. The R healthcare plan was even worse for them than Obamacare! Steal a ton of health insurance and make not having insurance even more punitive. This is the great R plan they've been crafting for the last decade. :vince: This is even more comedic than I'd anticipated. All the Rs should just resign in disgrace at this point.

Plenty of R politicians are fine with Obamacare. I recall Romney had to divest himself of some holdings because he was going to be making tons of $$$ off of Obamacare and it would've looked bad running against Obama and his ACA in 2012 while making bank.

Rangpur posted:

Faced with the fallout of late stage free market capitalism, American elected Donald Trump. Christ knows who we'll turn to when things keep getting worse.

Some TV infomercial salesman.

DoggPickle posted:

Is there literally anything he could do at all that would outrage people?

If he burned Bibles and cut military spending he'd anger a TON of his base.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DoggPickle posted:

...I wouldn't be surprised if they have literally given him fake Nuke codes...

That'd be pretty funny.

Super Deuce posted:

It's kind of terrifying how few people are aware that California feeds us all.

?

Craptacular! posted:

You can't change your race...You can't make black people white

There's some wiggle room on the census forms.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...at_without.html

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The last two shows have been an improvement. At least not 100% about Trump being a Russian plant. It was beginning to feel like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKNg0Bm9c1k

Gimmedaroot posted:

I remember vividly after the Oklahoma City bombing, and the first news story I watched on it was about the Muslim population in Oklahoma and what their motives might be.

I remember right after the OKC bombing there were a lot of conspiracy theories going around on AOL chat rooms/boards on how it was actually a bunch of Muslims in a van that did it. But Bill Clinton was suppressing the info!

Matt Zerella posted:

Piss pig and legos?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

"99 percent of artichokes, 99 percent of walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis, 97 percent of plums, 95 percent of celery, 95 percent of garlic, 89 percent of cauliflower, 71 percent of spinach, and 69 percent of carrots." I have a feeling that a lot of people won't miss those.

'As long as they have my chicken McNuggets, hot dogs and hamburgers.' -Dastardly Trump voter

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
You seemed to have crossed some kind of satire line, into a realm I don't quite understand. Yes the vast majority of redneck produce isn't the kind of variety that us kale addicted Californians enjoy, but at least the average flyover rear end in a top hat is going to miss that odd bit of offspring that they lose to the opium epidemic.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Also I'm pretty sure everyone would miss garlic

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

hmm 🤔

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Solvent posted:

You seemed to have crossed some kind of satire line, into a realm I don't quite understand. Yes the vast majority of redneck produce isn't the kind of variety that us kale addicted Californians enjoy, but at least the average flyover rear end in a top hat is going to miss that odd bit of offspring that they lose to the opium epidemic.

I'm sure some would. If California seceded or sunk into the ocean it'd just be the latest blunder. The article linked did say: "The loss of California’s output would create a dire situation for at least a decade. History suggests, however, that we’d eventually find a way to cope."

If I was a Trump voter I'd be trying to sue him at this point. He seems on pace to set a world record for broken promises. Trump voters should've had him sign a contract.

We still have another whopper promise to explode though. His famous "I'm gonna lower taxes, increase military spending and lower national debt. Have to do it folks!" Anybody who graduated from gradeschool shouldn't be fooled by that one. Any sane non-millionaire/billionaire shouldn't be excited for the Bush tax cuts v. 3.0

Maybe Trump's planning to dissolve medicaid, medicare and social security. And also deporting tens of millions of illegals. Yea, I'm sure that one is right around the corner.

Trump: the buffoon!

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Zogo posted:

If I was a Trump voter I'd be trying to sue him at this point.

Today the Internet privacy act was gutted. Tomorrow is net metering, and unauthorized sale of personal data .

It's not on Real Time, yet.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Hmm, Roger Stone and Rick Santorum on the same episode. Do I even bother watching?

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Former Human posted:

Hmm, Roger Stone and Rick Santorum on the same episode. Do I even bother watching?

At least Roger Stone wants legal weed.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Former Human posted:

santorum carrying water for the white house and neera tanden's hilarious line about the russkies attacking clinton from the left and the right, that was about it

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I really hate how Bill pronounces Bill Cosby's last name as "Cawz-bee"

Not even old New Yorkers pronounce it like that. Stop that, Bill.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Muppets On PCP posted:

santorum carrying water for the white house and neera tanden's hilarious line about the russkies attacking clinton from the left and the right, that was about it

Wait, Tanden was on? Gross

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I watched until he announced the guests and turned it off, I can deal with 1 or 2 shitheads but 4 of them is just too much.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't know how anyone can interact with Rick Santorum and not want to cave in his skull with a 2x4.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

IRQ posted:

I don't know how anyone can interact with Rick Santorum and not want to cave in his skull with a 2x4.

For the first 5 minutes he was the only sane one and the Neera started talking and WELP.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Eh, Santorum is a Republican stooge but he was kinda right on this http://www.snopes.com/epa-clean-power-plan-no-effect/ but then dives into a bunch of bullshit about subsidies.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

SyRauk posted:

Eh, Santorum is a Republican stooge but he was kinda right on this http://www.snopes.com/epa-clean-power-plan-no-effect/ but then dives into a bunch of bullshit about subsidies.

I mean, not really.

She didn't say it would have no effect, she said it would not be a major one/the cure-all. The interviewer was trying to lead her into saying it did nothing.

She also spoke about the many important and valuable aspects of the program like creating green energy jobs, etc.

His quoting of her was extremely disingenuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
A lovely snipe at people who voted for Jill Stein...

gently caress you Bill.
My vote for president didn't matter.
California was called for Clinton months in advance.