Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Trip Report for Resident Evil Zero:

This trip sucks. The monkeys in this house suck. The inventory management really sucks. The moment late in the game where I had to backtrack to a previous area in order to get a random chemical with Rebecca because I missed it earlier really really really sucks. I had to pass two sets of monkeys to get to this chemical. These monkeys are assholes. The monkeys take way too much damage before dying and if they hit you they can easily stunlock you to death.

That said... This game is really pretty. If it featured the interconnected item boxes or allowed a couple of extra inventory slots, I think I would be enjoying it a lot more.

Two things for Zero to prevent a lot of frustration:

Take the Hookshot with you when you leave the Training Facility. You won't use it a single time in the Training Facility, but after you leave you'll need it several times. (backtracking to get this will involve monkeys, you don't want to encounter monkeys)

Don't leave the training facility without grabbing a sample of the Green Chemical with Rebecca. (If you have to backtrack to get this, it will suck. Lots of monkeys. Rebecca can't take very much damage without dying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A decade later and the game is still garbage? I am surprised. gently caress that backtracking.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think RE0 is more fun on replays when you already know which items you need/when you'll need them. It's a shame they didn't add item boxes or expand the inventories to 8 slots in the PS4 port though, either of those would've made a huge difference

Also I could be wrong since it's been a while so don't do this, but IIRC it might be actually ok to just ditch one handgun completely which frees up two slots (I might be thinking of leech hunter mode idk)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Its also more fun on replays cause getting infinite ammo is trivial therefore eliminating the need to deal with the resource management.

Seriously, whomever had the amazing idea to eliminate item boxes AND make stuff like the shotgun, launcher and that stupid piece of loving poo poo hookshot take up 2 goddamn spaces needs to be stabbed.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

I think RE0 is more fun on replays when you already know which items you need/when you'll need them. It's a shame they didn't add item boxes or expand the inventories to 8 slots in the PS4 port though, either of those would've made a huge difference
The problem with RE0 is that if you make those changes you're also taking away a pretty significant chunk of what actually makes the game unique from the other classic RE games.

There's little else that really defines it. Even the partner system doesn't mean much without the limitations.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 26, 2017

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

When you leave the training facility, there's a really rough inventory moment. Billy and Rebecca have six slots each for a total of 12 slots.

Things you probably want to bring with you:
A Shotgun and Shells (3 slots)
A Grenade Launcher and extra Shells (3 slots)
Magnum bullets for a Magnum you haven't found yet (1 slot)
A handgun and bullets (2 slots)
The three slates you need to open the door out (3 slots)
The Hookshot (2 slots)

14 slots or more if you want to bring any healing, molotov cocktails, or other grenade rounds.

If you're me, you bring everything but the hookshot and then harumph once you get out there and fight a boss and then need it to continue. (I ended up reloading to an earlier save, trekking from the lobby to the door with two slates, used those two slates, then ran back to the lobby to pick up the hookshot with those two inventory spaces free).

An hour or so later I realized that when I reloaded that save to bring the hookshot I also should've grabbed the Green Chemical with Rebecca in the house. Backtracking for that was a huge pain in the rear end. Billy and Rebecca are separated but can use an elevator to pass items back and forth. Billy can't pass any two slot items like the shotgun or grenade launcher down to Rebecca to aid her return to the house. I had to make do with a handgun and a grenade launcher with a single round vs those drat monkeys. The monkeys take up physical space and don't nudge out of the way if you try to run past them. If they take up the pathway you're running on, you're going to take a lot of damage.

I definitely think this game could be fun once you know what you need and when. I think that just having a connected item box would alleviate so many of these headaches.

edit: As annoying as it was, it is one of the most survival focused moments I can think of in my entire replay of the series. It was doable with a bunch of healing and some luck, but I think that if I had died there several more times I would be more likely to just quit playing than to go back to a save several hours earlier to fix the mistake before I made it.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 26, 2017

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It's worth beating for Wesker mode then you can just eye beam blast poo poo and it owns.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I can't believe I saw a complaint about the RE7 garage fight! That was such a memorable and unique experience for me. And it has several possible outcomes and solutions, too.

Boss fights in a game like this are always going to be difficult to please everyone. You're either going to get complaints of "that was dumb, i just had to shoot the obvious glowing weak spots" or you're going to get "there's no indication of what I'm supposed to do!"

Not from the same people, but the ideal boss fight for one person is going to be either cryptic and frustrating or obvious and stupid depending on who you ask.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea the multiple options for the garage fight surprised me. I was reading the 7 thread and someone mentioned how hard it was them to grab the car keys in time and I wasn't even aware that was an option. I carried them around the rest of the game wondering if I'd need them after grabbing them
post fight.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's hilarious that it can either be a "run over the immortal zombie" or a "play bullfighter with a Camaro" encounter.

If you don't have tons of New Game+ gear, is it a game over for Jack to steal the car? I can't imagine any of the weapons you'd have at that point would be able to take him down.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's hilarious that it can either be a "run over the immortal zombie" or a "play bullfighter with a Camaro" encounter.

If you don't have tons of New Game+ gear, is it a game over for Jack to steal the car? I can't imagine any of the weapons you'd have at that point would be able to take him down.

If you shoot the tires out on the car it takes Jack a LOT less time to wreck it, for some reason

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nah, he doesn't have that much health. You can easily knife him in fact

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Or just stand in front of the same steel beam that he makes you plow into, he'll run into it himself.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
One thing I never liked about RE boss fights is that aside from maybe proceeding to the next phase in multiform boss fights, you get very little indication of how much longer the fight is going to be.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Pureauthor posted:

One thing I never liked about RE boss fights is that aside from maybe proceeding to the next phase in multiform boss fights, you get very little indication of how much longer the fight is going to be.

Hell yes to this. They've always been this way. Im especially reminded of RE5 Hellooooooo Simon's fight

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of RE7 I just want something confirmed before I take the plunge with it - for obvious reasons I'm steering clear of game footage, which also makes it a problem to figure out an answer. :v:

I know you're stalked by family members throughout the game, or at least in a few sections, but do they take the form of Alien: Isolation's "get seen and you're hosed" approach, or is there some wiggle room to mess up and recover?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Speaking of RE7 I just want something confirmed before I take the plunge with it - for obvious reasons I'm steering clear of game footage, which also makes it a problem to figure out an answer. :v:

I know you're stalked by family members throughout the game, or at least in a few sections, but do they take the form of Alien: Isolation's "get seen and you're hosed" approach, or is there some wiggle room to mess up and recover?

They're actually pretty forgiving. You can't kill Jack, but you can knock him out for a minute, giving you enough time to run. If you close a door behind him, you can buy yourself even more time.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nah you can just knife the dude. Or shoot him in the face.

poptart_fairy posted:

Plenty of wiggle room, you've got a health bar, you've got guns that actually do work to some extent, you've got healing items. Video game stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK cool, thanks guys. :)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Vakal posted:

Or just stand in front of the same steel beam that he makes you plow into, he'll run into it himself.

Didn't know this either :catstare: drat I'm dumb as hell. Just used what little handgun ammo i had and then knifed him while dodging the car.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Finished RE:Zero. The final area is actually pretty good. The progression through the area flows really well and I didn't notice the inventory management being as much of an issue. The final boss has an interesting gimmick that isn't just shoot it a lot until it dies. My main beef with the final boss is that you have to fight it twice and each time you have to dump a decent chunk of damage into it before getting to the next phase. My first time fighting the boss I ended up failing in the very final step because I didn't have a single bit of ammo left in the guns I had with me. (I ditched the handgun before the final three rooms). When I completed it on the second go, I literally had a single grenade round left. Success!

My favorite thing about the final area is these big frog enemies that pop out of the water to slap you with their tongues before hopping back in the water. If you run away from them, they can eat you whole but most of the time they just slap you and leave. I also feel as though the game took pity on me by introducing a Giant Ape enemy that looks like an upcoming boss, but he just shows up to punch Billy and then fucks off for the remainder of the game. Stay safe, Giant Mutant Punching Ape.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I actually just started playing this game last night; I guess it's fortunate I didn't check up on the thread until today to see this, 'cuz as it was the garage fight was a surprise for me. I would not have guessed it could proceed multiple ways.

I tried to constantly keep the car between Jack and me, so he quickly wound up stealing it and hopping in. This actually made him much easier, though, rather than harder; the car can still only turn but so tightly and it's a small garage, and he rips off the top and driver side door when he gets in. As a result, all I had to do was stand in the middle of the room running alongside him and slashing wildly as he smashed into obstacle after obstacle, trying desperately to get an angle on me while I made drat good and sure to stay off to the side and never let him line me up at all.

Thus far, it's the only fight in the game that actually gave me no trouble at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_A66lAAMDM&t=154s This old clip pretty much sums up exactly how the fight plays out, actually, except photoshop in Ethan standing next to the kart and flailing wildly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The real trouble is when he starts doing donuts because if you're out of ammo all you can really do is waddle away at Ethan's breakneck speed of 0.1 mph and hope he doesn't catch you in the spin.

edit: That said, on my latest playthrough I stood in the center and he did donuts around me and it was the coolest poo poo in the world so also try that

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm trying to clear the rest of the RE7 DLC before Persona 5 comes out and Ethan Must Die is making me hate the millions of years of evolution on Earth that gave birth to this game.

I can clear most of the mansion fairly consistently now but it really feels like too much of my success in a run is down to whether I get the right weapons from the RNG boxes, even with killing most of the enemies with traps. Like if I'm not getting a shotgun at the right point welp might as well give up.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Raxivace posted:

I'm trying to clear the rest of the RE7 DLC before Persona 5 comes out and Ethan Must Die is making me hate the millions of years of evolution on Earth that gave birth to this game.

I can clear most of the mansion fairly consistently now but it really feels like too much of my success in a run is down to whether I get the right weapons from the RNG boxes, even with killing most of the enemies with traps. Like if I'm not getting a shotgun at the right point welp might as well give up.

EMD is a ridiculously challenging mode. I'm not surprised at how many people think it's Feature #1 and also that it's Literally The Worst. Once I beat it I never looked back, but plenty of people are just doing speedrun after speedrun!

Is there a part you most commonly die at? You also literally never need a shotgun. Any environment that favors a shotgun should also have an explodey barrel, floor gas trap, or trip mine.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

CJacobs posted:

The real trouble is when he starts doing donuts because if you're out of ammo all you can really do is waddle away at Ethan's breakneck speed of 0.1 mph and hope he doesn't catch you in the spin.

edit: That said, on my latest playthrough I stood in the center and he did donuts around me and it was the coolest poo poo in the world so also try that

Should have recorded it and set it to Tokyo Drift music.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there a part you most commonly die at? You also literally never need a shotgun. Any environment that favors a shotgun should also have an explodey barrel, floor gas trap, or trip mine.
Most of my deaths come from either the fat molded in the living room coming in on the wrong path and not getting properly turret'd or one of the two four legged molded getting a OHKO on me right after. Other than that I sometimes die in that first forced encounter because I don't have a decent weapon to take out both molded- I'm aware there's a trap in that room but I can't easily get both of them with it.

And Marguerite has been killing me the few times I've gotten to her. I don't think that fight itself is necessarily the hardest thing ever but its really discouraging to die to her and then be stuck running through the drat mansion again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My tip for fighting her in Ethan Must die is: Crouch in the corner across from the turret, on the upper level, in the room with the ladder. She has a hard time pathing there and when she does she'll just get shot by the thing and gently caress off while you pelt her.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Raxivace posted:

And Marguerite has been killing me the few times I've gotten to her. I don't think that fight itself is necessarily the hardest thing ever but its really discouraging to die to her and then be stuck running through the drat mansion again.

Truth. I was very disheartened when she one-shot killed me on my first visit.

Those 4-legged jumpers right after the TV Room are a serious bitch too. They survive any shotgun blast with like 1%HP and then nuke you.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CJacobs posted:

My tip for fighting her in Ethan Must die is: Crouch in the corner across from the turret, on the upper level, in the room with the ladder. She has a hard time pathing there and when she does she'll just get shot by the thing and gently caress off while you pelt her.
This did the trick. Thanks. :)

I owe you one, CJacobs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raxivace posted:

This did the trick. Thanks. :)

I owe you one, CJacobs.

:respek: Good work! It turns out getting there is the hardest part when you know about that trick.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nobody warned me about the tripmine in that exact safe spot. I was SUPER pissed when it went *click*

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any tips for a first run though of RE 1 remaster ? I just started as Jill, and made it to the shotgun room.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fit em all up in there posted:

Any tips for a first run though of RE 1 remaster ? I just started as Jill, and made it to the shotgun room.

Zombies will come back later as creatures called Crimson Heads unless you burn them or decapitate them. Don't stress out about this too much. If there's an area you feel like you go through a lot burn a zombie there but otherwise it's not a big deal.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Remember the rooms you run through the most, don't kill everything either, not enough ammo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So Capcom is doing a documentary series about the making of RE7. It looks to be in a similar vein of the videos they put out for RE0 HD, which were pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAsMpq8FeJA

Only the first part is out as of now.

CJacobs posted:

:respek: Good work! It turns out getting there is the hardest part when you know about that trick.
:respek:

I'm kind of amazed the trick works as well as it does, even with the enhanced ammo I had been saving up. I still had plenty of my arsenal left over once Waspinator finally went down.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Alteisen posted:

Remember the rooms you run through the most, don't kill everything either, not enough ammo.

That's probably true in the beginning but I murdered everything but one dog and the snakes by the end and had a buttload of ammo left over.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

poptart_fairy posted:

Mostly they smack you, you take a chunk of damage, and then turn and run. Depending upon which difficulty you're on, you can manage that with healing items. So its more "how many times you're found" than just dying because you got found once.

And usually even if you get seen you can bolt for cover or a safe room and escape completely unscathed. Its only if they're right THERE that you actually get whomped good.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
PSN is having a big rear end sale on all Resident Evil content.

Only the super deluxe edition of RE7 is on sale though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Don't save after every few scuffles with enemies, even if it means you get killed off soon after and have to do a load of stuff again. Why? Because what may seem like a lot of progress in learning which rooms and encounters to avoid initially can actually turn out to be a simple ten minute runaround on your next attempt when you actually know what you should be doing.

That being said, the above advice is reasonably dependent on difficulty; if you're playing on Very Easy/Easy then go ahead and save all you want since IIRC the game throws enough Ink Ribbons at you to start up a printing business on these difficulties.