Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
On the topic of old phones that maybe were/still are obsolete, I have a box phone in my office:

It's made to look like an ornately crafted wooden box, but it's actually plastic. Because it's so old it only half worked on my U-Verse VoIP. You could receive calls, but not make them. Now I've got it hooked up to an Ooma VoIP extender and it goes both ways.

It's neat, but a bitch to actually open, untangle the cable, make a call, and then put it all back in place so it closes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

I have a box phone in my office:

Cool, I didn't know these existed, so what is your PC disguised as?

Oh wait, is that just one of your photoshops? :v:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Krispy Kareem posted:

On the topic of old phones that maybe were/still are obsolete, I have a box phone in my office:

It's made to look like an ornately crafted wooden box, but it's actually plastic. Because it's so old it only half worked on my U-Verse VoIP. You could receive calls, but not make them. Now I've got it hooked up to an Ooma VoIP extender and it goes both ways.

It's neat, but a bitch to actually open, untangle the cable, make a call, and then put it all back in place so it closes.

http://www.paul-f.com/weDesignLine.html

Above site has a full listing of the Western Electric designer phones - growing up we had a chestphone too. It looked cool, but was completely impractical for the reasons you mention above.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Goober Peas posted:

Above site has a full listing of the Western Electric designer phones - growing up we had a chestphone too. It looked cool, but was completely impractical for the reasons you mention above.

:stare:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I always wanted the telstar

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

This is the kind of chunky, boxy, stiff plastic Important Machine that a little Satan's Onion imagined her grownup self would use all the time in the course of doing Grownup Stuff :allears:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://youtu.be/Sx_qTIhtLj8

8-Bit Guy does the Telstar answering system.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

DiscoDickTease posted:

I suppose my new old tv qualifies as long gone tech: a 1981 Zenith Console TV with Space Phone!

My tv has a fuckin' telephone built into it! There is a telephone cable coming out of the back and plugs into the phone jack and you can call and receive calls through the tv! You press the phone button on the remote and start dialing and the tv will ring and show the number on the screen when a call is coming in. I need to find a new head for the cable as it got lopped off, but it should work great as the rest of the tv is flawless.

Also I think you can listen in to other peoples calls pretty easily...

http://imgur.com/a/RnwcB

and the remote in question

http://imgur.com/a/NvMh3

They are both beautiful.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

https://youtu.be/Sx_qTIhtLj8

8-Bit Guy does the Telstar answering system.

Also check out his other channel, 8-bit Keys. I have a knowledge of music through 20 years of clarinet playing, and I thought this other channel about keyboards etc would be boring. However, it's just as much about the technology as his main channel, and most videos are definitely worth a watch.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Goober Peas posted:

All of these phones are amazing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
When I was a kid I had the biggest boner for handsets like those that had the kinda pointy, rectangular microphone part. You would see them in practically every wall street type office scene and I thought they were sooo cool for some reason.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CubanMissile posted:

When I was a kid I had the biggest boner for handsets like those that had the kinda pointy, rectangular microphone part. You would see them in practically every wall street type office scene and I thought they were sooo cool for some reason.

Heh. A part of my brain still thinks "cool" when I see handsets like that.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

:goonsay:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

You can buy a replica on ebay for $300, apparently they really liked dumb telephones back then.

A part of me wonders what cellphone nostalgia will look like when we move on from the Nokia and start on olde-styl smartphones. Dedicated Apple fanboys fighting over first-gen iphones? Open source nerds celebrating getting Ubuntu 56.23 to run on the first Googlephone? Somebody giving a poo poo about blackberry in the 21st century? Who knows!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

T-man posted:

You can buy a replica on ebay for $300, apparently they really liked dumb telephones back then.

A part of me wonders what cellphone nostalgia will look like when we move on from the Nokia and start on olde-styl smartphones. Dedicated Apple fanboys fighting over first-gen iphones? Open source nerds celebrating getting Ubuntu 56.23 to run on the first Googlephone? Somebody giving a poo poo about blackberry in the 21st century? Who knows!

A skeuomorphism skin for jailbroken iOS 15.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've been considering getting an amateur radio license lately, and I can't honestly understand why because it seems like such a pointless and outdated thing these days that just ends up costing a lot of money (to build a station) and then gathering dust, but for some reason I still want to.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I got really bored and set up Alpine on my work computer. It's fun to use sometimes. I only wish there were an AIM/chat client that used the terminal so I could look like I was working more.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

T-man posted:

They just announced a modern update to the Nokia 3310 for people like that. So yeah, it's already a thing.

Keyboards on phones will never come back though because they're terrible.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The seventies was the golden age of bad phone design. There was a surge in 1930s/gangster nostalgia so candlestick phones made a comeback. My aunt had one and they were as cumbersome to use as you'd expect.

There's a reason telephone design evolved from the wood box (like my father had in his home when he was a child) to light, slim handsets meant to fit a human being's dimensions.

That 1930s nostalgia wave didn't just give us terrible telephones. It also birthed other things of Great Cultural Value like one-hit-wonder Paper Lace.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

The seventies was the golden age of bad phone design. There was a surge in 1930s/gangster nostalgia so candlestick phones made a comeback. My aunt had one and they were as cumbersome to use as you'd expect.

I swear my parents had this exact same phone in their bedroom when I was a kid. I remember it from the early 80s so yeah I'd say it was acquired in the 70s some time.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

I've been considering getting an amateur radio license lately, and I can't honestly understand why because it seems like such a pointless and outdated thing these days that just ends up costing a lot of money (to build a station) and then gathering dust, but for some reason I still want to.

I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago because this old 70 year old guy at work heard I was interested in it and was really enthusiastic and encouraged me to get certified and get a radio setup. We were probably out of touch (I was about 24 at the time) in every other way but it was really :unsmith: that he was so eager to talk about it. I ended up getting a radio and antenna and intended to get the basic certification but never did and sold it to the guy and felt bad about it. :smith:

Our local amateur radio club is less than a dozen and the vast vast majority of them are in their 60s+ and the others are pushing 50 themselves. I'd hate for HAM use to die with them.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Mar 27, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I miss CB radio being a thing. Good times.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

YeahTubaMike posted:

I got really bored and set up Alpine on my work computer. It's fun to use sometimes. I only wish there were an AIM/chat client that used the terminal so I could look like I was working more.
Finch should do the trick.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pftt, you can't fool me. That's not 1970s. That's last weekend in Portland with a filter.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Unperson_47 posted:

I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago because this old 70 year old guy at work heard I was interested in it and was really enthusiastic and encouraged me to get certified and get a radio setup. We were probably out of touch (I was about 24 at the time) in every other way but it was really :unsmith: that he was so eager to talk about it. I ended up getting a radio and antenna and intended to get the basic certification but never did and sold it to the guy and felt bad about it. :smith:

Our local amateur radio club is less than a dozen and the vast vast majority of them are in their 60s+ and the others are pushing 50 themselves. I'd hate for HAM use to die with them.

It's a lot like freemasonry in that respect, really. Skewing super old and not really attracting new blood despite their efforts. Or not retaining those who do come along.

I'm an inactive mason like 10 years now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I miss CB radio being a thing. Good times.

My friends and I all installed CBs in our cars in high school back in the early-mid 90s. Good times.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Unperson_47 posted:

This is part of why I keep thinking about getting into it. But its also a rabbit hole I probably don't need to fall down.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Pftt, you can't fool me. That's not 1970s. That's last weekend in Portland with a filter.

The differences in fashion between decades are much more subtle now, to the point where average people from 2007 look indistinguishable from 2017. Try doing that with people from 1977 and 1987, or even 1987 and 1997. I find it fascinating that the technology used to capture an image is more telling than the content, like images taken on film, or early digital cameras/smartphones.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Disney's Hilton Head Resort has one of those in their lobby, but with a modern handset hanging off the side.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

John Big Booty posted:

Finch should do the trick.

I don't think Finch is available for systems as new as my work computer (OS X, El Capitan). :smith:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ReidRansom posted:

It's a lot like freemasonry in that respect, really. Skewing super old and not really attracting new blood despite their efforts. Or not retaining those who do come along.

This isn't to put you on blast or anything, but is that really a surprise? Unless you're part of the Continental branch the rules of your order are pretty freaking antiquated, to put it gently. Getting young people interested in something that -- in 2017 -- is exclusively male and requires a belief in a supreme being... You're catering to a very specific subset of people who you might not actually want around.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:sweden:

Obsolete but not failed. The Ericofon was produced from 1954 up until 1982 with only minor design changes.

The early versions had no ringer. Instead you had a separate ringer device mounted on the wall next to the phone jack. When marketed in the US it came in 18 different colors, but back in Sweden you could only have it in one of five different colors.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
A few people get their ham license every year at a small conference some of my friends host so there is at least a trickle of nerds picking it up

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Trabant posted:

This isn't to put you on blast or anything, but is that really a surprise? Unless you're part of the Continental branch the rules of your order are pretty freaking antiquated, to put it gently. Getting young people interested in something that -- in 2017 -- is exclusively male and requires a belief in a supreme being... You're catering to a very specific subset of people who you might not actually want around.

Yeah I was absolutely into Freemasonry when I was younger, until I did a few weeks of research and found out the requirements are completely inflexible and it was really the brotherhood of old white guys.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Collateral Damage posted:

:sweden:

Obsolete but not failed. The Ericofon was produced from 1954 up until 1982 with only minor design changes.

The early versions had no ringer. Instead you had a separate ringer device mounted on the wall next to the phone jack. When marketed in the US it came in 18 different colors, but back in Sweden you could only have it in one of five different colors.

My grandfather did a lot of telephone work before he retired. He has like 8 or 10 of those things stashed somewhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

The early versions had no ringer. Instead you had a separate ringer device mounted on the wall next to the phone jack.

That was an outdated way of doing things even in 1954.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That was an outdated way of doing things even in 1954.

There are still vestiges of this around in the form of outside ringers at places like car lots, junkyards and the like.

I bought a couple of old phones from http://www.phonecoinc.com and in their catalog you can see all manner of interesting items. I like the spacesaver phones from the bakelite era. They also have "answer only" phones that don't even have a ringer for places that anticipated receiving but not making calls.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

Well, back in the late 80's, I got into some radio stuff as a couple buddies (one of them a professional radio engineer) and I were putting together a pirate FM station. (We followed all the FCC rules and even had copies of the main FM station in town's commercials we played for free). Anyway, that led me to tinker with the 2 meter stuff (which was dorkily fun). Especially when you considered the local ham club had a telephone linkup with their local repeater (forgive me if I get some of the slang wrong... It's been decades!), and, coupled with the DTMF touchpad on my radio gave me a call out only phone for a $5 a month donation. So I rocked a pager too.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

YeahTubaMike posted:

I got really bored and set up Alpine on my work computer. It's fun to use sometimes.

As in the email reader based on PINE?

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't think Finch is available for systems as new as my work computer (OS X, El Capitan). :smith:

My guess is it should be portable. You might just need to compile it yourself. Or run it in the cloud, and SSH there from work. Or run it in a VM. I mean you're not looking for a simple way of doing things, right? :v:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Trabant posted:

The exclusively men thing is pretty outdated, yeah. The belief in a supreme being thing is I feel pretty open to interpretation, but maybe that's just me. I certainly don't believe anything like that. It's all fine. But in any case I've been inactive for like ten years and agree they do need to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Also check out his other channel, 8-bit Keys. I have a knowledge of music through 20 years of clarinet playing, and I thought this other channel about keyboards etc would be boring. However, it's just as much about the technology as his main channel, and most videos are definitely worth a watch.

TechMoan also has some amazing obsolete tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Techmoan

Any other similar YouTube channels? I love watching these at the gym.