Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Phanatic posted:

Jesus might have built my hot rod, but Satan is my motor.

Satan drives like a pussy. :v:

(I know it's break in and possibly winter where you are, but :drat: those G numbers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

:argh:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Larrymer posted:

Satan drives like a pussy. :v:

(I know it's break in and possibly winter where you are, but :drat: those G numbers.)

Winter, and summer only-tires. Plus there have been no cars and coffee crowds around to wipe out into.

It's a lot better now that it's warmed up a bit and the tires can actually stick.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LongSack posted:

What is the consensus on ground effect lighting?

It's awesome if you're planning on going back in time to 1997.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

scrubs season six posted:

How appropriate.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

:reject: I just have this vague desire to do something to it, but I have no idea what it is I want to do. I've already added an upgraded exhaust, hard-wired in a dash cam and radar detector, and put in a full set of WeatherTech liners. I bought a really sweet front license plate with a chrome embossed pony logo, but TN doesn't use front plates so there's no holes :doh:

The sound system is pretty drat good, so replacing it would be a poo poo-ton of money for probably an incremental gain.

Hopefully, once warm weather gets here (spring is coming in cold and wet this year) and I can actually drive it with lid down this feeling will go away.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LongSack posted:

:reject: I just have this vague desire to do something to it, but I have no idea what it is I want to do. I've already added an upgraded exhaust, hard-wired in a dash cam and radar detector, and put in a full set of WeatherTech liners. I bought a really sweet front license plate with a chrome embossed pony logo, but TN doesn't use front plates so there's no holes :doh:

The sound system is pretty drat good, so replacing it would be a poo poo-ton of money for probably an incremental gain.

Hopefully, once warm weather gets here (spring is coming in cold and wet this year) and I can actually drive it with lid down this feeling will go away.

Here ya go:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-halo-led-taillights-1516.html

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

What's the go to not super loud catback? I'm torn between the magnaflow street or competition, and the Ford touring. I love the sound of the Ford sport too but idk how well that would work out rolling in at 1am every night.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

fps_bill posted:

What's the go to not super loud catback? I'm torn between the magnaflow street or competition, and the Ford touring. I love the sound of the Ford sport too but idk how well that would work out rolling in at 1am every night.

Don't know what your price range is, but Borla makes 3 different ones. The Touring is too close to stock for me, while the ATAK is too harsh. I went with the middle one, the S Type. Comparison video here

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Not a fan of the bugged out look

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

fps_bill posted:

Which engine? I'm still loving my Mishimoto catback on the ecoboost. Makes it deep and not raspy at all.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
MBRP is extremely good if you are looking for an affordable exhaust. They make them with aluminized steel which seems pretty drat tough to me and they sound great(GT and EB). Don't get the race version though...

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

fps_bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6uVk5BL3o

the channel also has clips of other exhausts too

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LongSack posted:

I wouldn't do it. Even when underbodies were cool they weren't really cool. But at the same time I'm a big proponent of doing whatever the gently caress you want and who cares what anyone else thinks. I'm just saying I wouldn't.

I don't know poo poo about the S-550s (I'm a 197 man) but a spoiler swap was always nice imo on the 197s. Like upgrading to a California Special or GT500 spoiler.

I've always been pretty happy with my Mustang sound system but even so I bought new 6x8s for the doors and rear deck. But mine is the Shaker 500 IIRC and has 8" woofers in the door which makes a big difference. It blows the poo poo out of the 10 speaker system in my F-150 and I think it's 1/2 those two woofers and 1/2 the fact that the cabin the Mustang is so much smaller.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
The only bit of :rice: that I've been tempted to do is put a small light inside the front grille area to show off the big fuckoff intercooler. I won't do it, but I've been tempted. I was kind of disappointed that ETS didn't spray their logo on it as all of the ads show, but that might be for the best. Maybe a pony stencil would be the way to go since the new grilles don't have the emblem.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 22, 2017

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I wouldn't do it. Even when underbodies were cool they weren't really cool. But at the same time I'm a big proponent of doing whatever the gently caress you want and who cares what anyone else thinks. I'm just saying I wouldn't.

I don't know poo poo about the S-550s (I'm a 197 man) but a spoiler swap was always nice imo on the 197s. Like upgrading to a California Special or GT500 spoiler.

I've always been pretty happy with my Mustang sound system but even so I bought new 6x8s for the doors and rear deck. But mine is the Shaker 500 IIRC and has 8" woofers in the door which makes a big difference. It blows the poo poo out of the 10 speaker system in my F-150 and I think it's 1/2 those two woofers and 1/2 the fact that the cabin the Mustang is so much smaller.

Yeah, I'm far to old to really give a poo poo what other people think, was just looking for a general consensus. Unfortunately, I was looking at doing a black light which LEDs can't really do properly, and I really don't want to do neon.

As for the sound system I've got the Shaker Pro 12-speaker system which has an 8- or 10-inch sub in the trunk. It booms enough for me (I don't listen to a lot of rap or hip-hop). I really think that any upgrade would be incremental and not worth the cost.

As for the spoiler, I didn't even want the (laughable) spoiler that I have, but that was the only thing different from my exact dream car, so rather than order one I accepted the one with the spoiler the dealer found in NC.

I think that honestly it's just restlessness brought about because I've had only 1 day since I took delivery (two months ago!) where I could really get out for an extended run on a series of 2-lane roads to nowhere.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

LongSack posted:

:reject: I just have this vague desire to do something to it, but I have no idea what it is I want to do.

There's only one thing to do:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Hey, where might I learn more about the workings of my dumbass car. It's a 2005 SOHC V6. Repair manuals, autocad models, whatever. Like learning what connects to what and why. The autozone website used to have a repair manual for it but they took it down I think.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

mmkay posted:

There's only one thing to do:

The words have not yet been invented that can properly express my disdain for this

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fps_bill posted:

I got the FRPP touring catback for my shameful V6 and I still love it. It's the perfect balance of quiet when you want it to be, and loud when you want it to be, in my opinion.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

LongSack posted:

The words have not yet been invented that can properly express my disdain for this

"utter bollocks"

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I have the 5.0, there's so many exhausts that sound good. I'm really considering the magnaflow competition, or the Ford racing touring, maybe the sport. gently caress idk which to get

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Cage posted:

How appropriate.

I hope that car comes with $8000. lol "value"

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

fps_bill posted:

I have the 5.0, there's so many exhausts that sound good. I'm really considering the magnaflow competition, or the Ford racing touring, maybe the sport. gently caress idk which to get

Get the one that warns crowds that you're coming through.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I'd like to but I work second shift, and have neighbors. So rolling in at midnight with a gently caress off loud exhaust may be a bit of a problem.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

fps_bill posted:

I'd like to but I work second shift, and have neighbors. So rolling in at midnight with a gently caress off loud exhaust may be a bit of a problem.

They can move out so cool people can move in.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Maintenance question. My truck said oil changes were every 3 months / 3000 miles. Given that when I sold it there were less than 66000 miles for an 11 year old truck, that's an average of 6000 miles per year. And that is heavily front loaded, because I used to have to commute to an office while for the past 4 years or so I work out of my home so my morning commute is a walk down the hallway :smug: so in recent years, I probably didn't put even 5000 miles on in a year.

The mustang says oil change every 5000 miles, but I can't find any corresponding "or x months". I am just having trouble contemplating changing my oil only once a year.

Now, granted, I am finding excuses to drive the mustang, so certainly the annual mileage will be more than the truck, but still, it won't be that much more. Is the oil really going to be good for up to a year?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LongSack posted:

Maintenance question. My truck said oil changes were every 3 months / 3000 miles. Given that when I sold it there were less than 66000 miles for an 11 year old truck, that's an average of 6000 miles per year. And that is heavily front loaded, because I used to have to commute to an office while for the past 4 years or so I work out of my home so my morning commute is a walk down the hallway :smug: so in recent years, I probably didn't put even 5000 miles on in a year.

The mustang says oil change every 5000 miles, but I can't find any corresponding "or x months". I am just having trouble contemplating changing my oil only once a year.

Now, granted, I am finding excuses to drive the mustang, so certainly the annual mileage will be more than the truck, but still, it won't be that much more. Is the oil really going to be good for up to a year?

If you use synthetics, maybe even 2 or 3 years, since I have heard people talk about going 15k on oil in a newer mustang using good synthetics.

And even the 3000 miles to a change was more often than really needed, from what I have read. We ALL wasted alot of money on oil for a while.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Oil quality and life improves with synthetics, manufacturers tell us to change oil more often... hmmmmm.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Amsoil says whatever's on their label or once a year, whatever comes first.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Thanks, all. That helps.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, annual seems to be the upper limit of any maintenance schedule I've ever seen. I think the assumption is that oil exposed to the elements in an engine will eventually goes off a bit.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I'm doing lab reports for oil changes on my '16 for this reason in addition to keeping an eye on the engine itself. I'd like to see what the additive levels and such look like at suggested intervals and see how much life it really has left. The first one didn't tell much since it's got a bunch of break-in detritus mixed in (as well as not knowing for sure what oil is put in there at the factory), but hopefully I'll get some interesting info as it ages.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I've been thinking about going back to the oem air filter since my engine is stock and untuned. I'd rather not worry about oiling my filter juuuust enough to actually work but not too much that it fouls my MAF, which is probably part of the reason I get such terrible mpg currently (and a CEL).

Heres a silly question, is there another name for the hose that runs from the filter to the throttle body? Air filter hose/air intake hose? Not finding it on rockauto.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Let me know if you find one, I'd like to replace the PO's hack job and the only options I found were more expensive cold air intakes.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cage posted:

I've been thinking about going back to the oem air filter since my engine is stock and untuned. I'd rather not worry about oiling my filter juuuust enough to actually work but not too much that it fouls my MAF, which is probably part of the reason I get such terrible mpg currently (and a CEL).

Heres a silly question, is there another name for the hose that runs from the filter to the throttle body? Air filter hose/air intake hose? Not finding it on rockauto.

On http://www.fordparts.com you can punch in your VIN, figure out a nearby part (i.e. air filter), and get a little diagram of how the little assembly goes together.

This is for a 2012 V6:

Is it the 9B659, or "Engine Air Box Hose"?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Its the wrong year and wrong engine, thats what it is! But thanks thats a good idea Ill try to find a diagram.

edit: does ford keep the same part # for the same part on different years? Because I guess you were right (9B659):

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...d&model=Mustang

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 29, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cage posted:

Its the wrong year and wrong engine, thats what it is! But thanks thats a good idea Ill try to find a diagram.

edit: does ford keep the same part # for the same part on different years? Because I guess you were right (9B659):
Part numbers will stay the same for a given part forever. New part, new part number.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cage posted:

Alternatively, consider going with an AEM dryflow filter? I had one on my MS3 and I liked it a lot. I'll put one on my LS1 one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ilkhan posted:

Part numbers will stay the same for a given part forever. New part, new part number.
Well I meant the "9B659" that he linked was the air intake hose for a 2012 V6, but the same part number "9B659" is the air intake hose for my 2004 V8 but the physical parts are differently shaped

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Im assuming the first part of the part number signifies the car generation, like XL2Z-9B659-AAA vs 7S4Z-9B659-A.