Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

so was ff15 good or not

Gotta admit my opinion would be higher if I hadn't jumped into Zelda immediately after, but it's the best open world Final Fantasy?

I thoroughly enjoyed the story, and that's why I play FF, so it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

so was ff15 good or not

They literally, and I'm not even exaggerating here because the development schedule has been leaked, THEY LITERALLY SHIPPED THE GAME WITH 95% OF THE CONTENT MISSING. And now they're going to patch it in over the course of 7 years to coincide with the release of the episodes of FF7R. That tells you all you need to know about Finaru Fantaji Fifuteenu.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Literally is a word which here means figuratively

Figuratively is a word which here means "shut up Gologle"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Gotta admit my opinion would be higher if I hadn't jumped into Zelda immediately after, but it's the best open world Final Fantasy?

Nah, that's Lightning Returns.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

XV did not feel like 5% of a game to me + I had fun with it

I might buy the Ignis DLC when it's out because he's my favourite

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ff15 is good. Lot's of flaws, but still enjoyable.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I'm hyped. 2nd time seeing this. Looking forward to XIV music.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
can't believe it took 10 years to make and all ff15 is an demo for ff7r

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

Literally is a word which here means figuratively

Figuratively is a word which here means "shut up Gologle"

Not an emptyquote.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ff15 owns

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed the story, and that's why I play FF, so it's good.

A good portion of the development team is still patching in story content and features. You might want to wait until the end of the year and play an updated version of the game with all of the patches/DLC. As it is, the game's history of development hell is apparent in its storytelling and there is significant cut content.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

A demo for the first chapter of FF7R.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

seiferguy posted:

Nice. I saw them in Dallas late year and it was a good time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gologle posted:

They literally, and I'm not even exaggerating here because the development schedule has been leaked, THEY LITERALLY SHIPPED THE GAME WITH 95% OF THE CONTENT MISSING. And now they're going to patch it in over the course of 7 years to coincide with the release of the episodes of FF7R. That tells you all you need to know about Finaru Fantaji Fifuteenu.

so the game was originally going to be 800 hours long?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Patch came out with edits to Chapter 13, including an "alternate route" called verse 2. :psyduck: Maybe it's a way to meet up with a bud faster but the last thing c13 needed was more content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

so the game was originally going to be 800 hours long?

Forget it, corn, its Gologletown.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Motto posted:

Patch came out with edits to Chapter 13, including an "alternate route" called verse 2. :psyduck: Maybe it's a way to meet up with a bud faster but the last thing c13 needed was more content.

You play as Gladio.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh, it's a separate scenario. Basically a DLC preview then?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Die Sexmonster! posted:

the best open world Final Fantasy?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

seiferguy posted:

How much XIV music was there? They've been using some images from Heavensward in promo material, but I thought they'd just do the usual music and just continue to ignore the MMOs.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

TheHeadSage posted:

How much XIV music was there? They've been using some images from Heavensward in promo material, but I thought they'd just do the usual music and just continue to ignore the MMOs.

Susan Calloway was there and sang Dragonsong, Eyes on Me, and Answers.

Ronfaure from FFXI was also in the playlist.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheHeadSage posted:

Dragonsong and Answers were played. Susan Calloway was there and sung them (she also sung Eyes on Me too). Ronfaure from 11 was played too.

Whoa that's a big efb. I'll just edit this and show the playlist they had:

FF7: Opening / bombing mission
FF victory theme medley
FF14: Dragonsong
FF3 remake: opening
FF13: Blinded by Light
FF15: Apocalypsis Noctis
FF6: Phantom Forest
FF9: Festival of the Hunt
FF8: Eyes on Me
FF series chocobo medley
FF8: Man With The Machine Gun
FF10: Hymn of the Fayth / Zanarkand
FF7: Cosmo Canyon
FF11: Ronfaure
FF8: Fisherman's Horizon
FF9: Not Alone
FF14: Answers
FF series main theme medley

Encore: One Winged Angel

Only one repeat I can recall from when I saw it in 2009, which was man with the machine gun.

I think my favorite was the bombing mission, because while I'm not big on FF7 music, it sounds soo much better when a studio orchestra does it and really brings it out. They're really focusing on the ps1 era here though.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 27, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it's very nice of all these people to beta test ff 15

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Relin posted:

it's very nice of all these people to beta test ff 15

But seriously, when the hell are they going to release FF13 Versus for real.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bloodychill posted:

It was ok. The battle system was too loose to get real interesting or fun and the world felt emptier than most games like it. The bros end up feeling a little underwritten given that the game is supposed to be tightly focused on their characterizations. The voice acting is on the weaker side as a whole. The story drags hard in a few key places in the back half. It would have been nice to have more playable characters and/or team members.

On the other hand, there are neat nooks and crannies to explore and it really nails a relaxing and natural open-world feeling between the car rides and sleeping/cooking/fishing/hunts. The music is solid. Most of the story beats are enjoyable and well-presented. Even though the combat is overly loose, it's still decent and making ridiculous spells can be fun, though it would have been neat if they had a bigger variety of spell types.

It's a solid 7.

I'd +1 almost all of this, except I wouldn't say the music is solid as a whole. I'd say it's never offensively bad but there's very little of it that is standout memorable, where with most FF games you have a handful of music which gets stuck in your head for months after. It'll definitely sting if you go to XV from NieR: Automata, and presumably, Persona 5 if it follows in the vein of 3 and 4 having memorable soundtracks baby baby baby baby

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Huh I thought the XV soundtrack was fantastic. I had all the battle themes stuck in my head

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Nina posted:

Huh I thought the XV soundtrack was fantastic. I had all the battle themes stuck in my head
Agreed. XV had shortcomings and obvious places where corners were cut for the sake of time, but I felt it had a really strong soundtrack.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
XV was a pretty fun game that probably wont age well unless the DLC and patches address some fundamental poo poo.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Agreed. XV had shortcomings and obvious places where corners were cut for the sake of time, but I felt it had a really strong soundtrack.

I think the soundtrack may have been the best realized part of the game.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Levantine posted:

I think the soundtrack may have been the best realized part of the game.

Well, unlike the rest of the game, it actually did have 10 years in development. :v: Somnus was DLC for the first Theatrythm.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I mean, it's totally possible I'm the odd one out and just have a poor memory of playing it at the time and another go will turn my opinion around on it. How good a soundtrack is is kind of subjective as a whole though so as long as they're not totally dreadful, it's always hard to say they're bad.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I mean, it's totally possible I'm the odd one out and just have a poor memory of playing it at the time and another go will turn my opinion around on it. How good a soundtrack is is kind of subjective as a whole though so as long as they're not totally dreadful, it's always hard to say they're bad.

The music was pretty lacklustre imo, but then again it was the least offensive aspect of the game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

most game music is good, most music in anything is good. i'm not sure if that means it's easy to make good music or what tho

watch a billion people post bad music cause they don't understand what most means

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also, i've just realized that ff15 is a garbage game because it doesn't have the best road trip song in it, Billy Idol's White Wedding

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

most game music is good, most music in anything is good. i'm not sure if that means it's easy to make good music or what tho

watch a billion people post bad music cause they don't understand what most means

Having dabbled, I'd say it's hard to make good actually original music.
With that said, I know someone who can make really bad music. (It's me)

It's not that hard to change a couple of notes, call your song Black Wedding and have that come out okay. Might get sued though...

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

I think it just shows that the music making process is just it's own thing in game development. You can only do so much with graphics/gameplay when you're tied to hardware limitations (or budget limitations), which can lead to rehashed content, which in turn can limit the story you can tell. Music can just outside of that and, no matter what else happens, can make everything at least sound nice.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I love the battle themes in XV but I can't think of any other songs since they give you the soundtracks of like the entire series for driving/walking/chocoboing

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The character themes of Noctis, Luna and Ardyn are great. I also enjoy the Oasis-wannabe song that plays during the bonding scenes, like the race on the beach. It's cheesy in all the right ways.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Renoistic posted:

The character themes of Noctis, Luna and Ardyn are great. I also enjoy the Oasis-wannabe song that plays during the bonding scenes, like the race on the beach. It's cheesy in all the right ways.

That song, one of the battle themes and the doo deedee doo doo doo doooo do dododo one i don't know the name of that can play when you're running through Lestallum are the only ones I can think of. I'm not sure if those doo dees actually help in rounding down what I mean but if anyone knows what I mean and the name of it, can they link it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

That song, one of the battle themes and the doo deedee doo doo doo doooo do dododo one i don't know the name of that can play when you're running through Lestallum are the only ones I can think of. I'm not sure if those doo dees actually help in rounding down what I mean but if anyone knows what I mean and the name of it, can they link it?

You mean the one with the Spanish guitar? It's one of the songs I actually dislike since it's so repetitive. Actually, I thought the town themes were the weakest link of the OST. Hammerhead had a pretty decent tune, though.

https://youtu.be/4Xny_fdufwM