Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Godzilla's Revenge's dub is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Burkion posted:

Real talk

Space Godzilla is the worst Godzilla movie right?

Like the actual worst one. No qualifiers no exceptions

Yes. Even the other """bad""" ones have charm, Spacegodzilla is just a slog.

edit: shitfuck that's basically what the other dude said

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Burkion posted:

Real talk

Of the Godzilla movies commonly though of as being among the worst, Spacegodzilla is about the only one that doesn't seem to have passionate defenders or obvious redeeming qualities. Maybe Godzilla vs. Mothra: Battle for Earth comes close.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Space Godzilla has an amazing poster which makes how bad it is even worse.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will go to bat for Godzilla's Revenge as actually having interesting things to talk about. Namely the latch key culture of 1960s Japan and the eroding morality of youth.

You could read into Revenge a million different ways and have a ball.

Space Godzilla is just a pile of nothing. The best thing about it is the Space Godzilla suit, followed closely by that poster.

Battle for Earth at least has Battra going for it, and the battles are at least fun even if the entire rest of the movie is a eco fucker nightmare.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Eco Fucker is def one of my least favorite kaiju

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I got the shittiest roll at the Shin Godzilla gachapon tonight: the tail in a pool of water.

I want the 1st evolution one!! :( :( :(

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Eco Fucker is def one of my least favorite kaiju

Yeah, but their first album was pretty solid.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
What saves the blander movies like vs. Mothra and vs. Mechagodzilla II from being worthless is Akira Ifukube's scores, and Spacegodzilla doesn't even have that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also mothra.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, the plots in Heisei Mothra and MechaG are stinky turds, but the fight scenes are exciting and the music is engaging, which is more than you can say for SG.

Revenge is hokey and silly, but I wouldn't say that makes it bad. If anything I'd say it means I'm laughing with it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

Real talk

Nah, it's Godzilla vs Megalon.

I honestly like Spacegodzilla a bit- not as good as the two surrounding it but I'd rank it over Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth. Nicer visual style (I like the kind of blue/purple thing it has going, not just with the monster but in general), I like the characters, and the score, while atypical, has some strong parts.

Megalon just feels so threadbare and desperate- Jun Fukuda's films normally have so much energy and color and this is just... not that. There's a certain nostalgia charm to it but as far as pure quality of execution goes it ranks last.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, the plots in Heisei Mothra and MechaG are stinky turds, but the fight scenes are exciting and the music is engaging, which is more than you can say for SG.

Mothra does have the whole "underwater fight where you can barely see anything since we made it look underwater by putting a poo poo ton of bubbles on the screen" though.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nah, it's Godzilla vs Megalon.

I honestly like Spacegodzilla a bit- not as good as the two surrounding it but I'd rank it over Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth. Nicer visual style (I like the kind of blue/purple thing it has going, not just with the monster but in general), I like the characters, and the score, while atypical, has some strong parts.

Megalon just feels so threadbare and desperate- Jun Fukuda's films normally have so much energy and color and this is just... not that. There's a certain nostalgia charm to it but as far as pure quality of execution goes it ranks last.

The presence of Jet Jaguar alone makes it hard for me to back your claim. Plus, it was the first Godzilla film I saw in theaters, so the nostalgia factor may be strong....

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wizchine posted:

The presence of Jet Jaguar alone makes it hard for me to back your claim. Plus, it was the first Godzilla film I saw in theaters, so the nostalgia factor may be strong....

Yeah, that film may not be good, but it sure is fun and whackadoo.

And Mothra has significantly less screen time of kaiju standing around staring at each other and nothing else, so it already ranks higher than Space Godzilla.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
mothra is my beautiful kaiju girl, and im gonna marry her

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

mothra is my beautiful kaiju girl, and im gonna marry her

Sorry but... we're already engaged.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Applying patriarchal gender binaries to a giant bug god that can asexually reproduce itself seems hasty.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

love will find a way

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

Applying patriarchal gender binaries to a giant bug god that can asexually reproduce itself seems hasty.

Look, I asked and she said yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are the twins going to the wedding? Asking for a friend.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are the twins going to the wedding? Asking for a friend.

Two "revival" movies and no sign of the twins. A shameful display.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mllaneza posted:

Two "revival" movies and no sign of the twins. A shameful display.

People are saying they see two human figures there but it looks like there's more than two to me

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There are four little people there.

Maybe we'll get quintuplets

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I was rewatching this and i just noticed its pretty much stated that the us was planning on more than dropping a few bunker busters on Godzilla. It seems like they were gonna re-enact rolling thunder on tokyo with the damage predictions they gave the ministers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stairmaster posted:

I was rewatching this and i just noticed its pretty much stated that the us was planning on more than dropping a few bunker busters on Godzilla. It seems like they were gonna re-enact rolling thunder on tokyo with the damage predictions they gave the ministers.

They showed a map of impact sites. It does indeed look like just carpet bombing the city. Again. The characters had an "oh poo poo" and started putting out the word to get underground right away. Which probably saved a lot of lives when the laser death beam came out.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

Eh I don't think so. The MOP II which is based on the real life MOP is a gigantic bomb. You're not redoing Rolling thunder. I think a more likely reading is point damage radius depending on when the bomb was deployed.

Truthfully the MOP II's that hit all hit on target and did little to no unintended damage.

A more likely reason is that whoever designed it just wanted it to look cool and didn't put much thought into it. I should post a cap of Patterson's state department bio. It's magical Engrish.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

I count four so two for Mothra, two for Battra?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Burkion posted:

The Mothra trilogy had three sisters so the next step is four sisters obv.

Edit: Finally got a chance to watch Shin, it was pretty good. Sad I didn't notice it run thru theaters.

duz fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 29, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Toho released a featurette on Godzilla: Monster Planet. It doesn't show the Big G himself but there's a few glimpses of some gnarly kaiju and tons of sets and spacecraft WIP shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJEIAZNny7U

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Have some screenshots and let the speculation begin:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
First two look like Manda, though maybe they're both renders of the head of the third one, which looks like a more Edgy Rodan design, which I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There was antoher bit of art with that thing in relation to a human- it's way too small to be a an attempt at Rodan.

This is just some rando nameless monster that the humans can actually fight.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Toho released a featurette on Godzilla: Monster Planet. It doesn't show the Big G himself but there's a few glimpses of some gnarly kaiju and tons of sets and spacecraft WIP shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJEIAZNny7U

well, if the auto-translate is correct, tamiflu caused the end of the world and an apple pig was responsible

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
They seem to be going very much with the monster design of Shin - I wouldn't be surprised if both those creatures are directly descended from the Big G himself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
When the hell am I going to be able to see this movie? This is some bullshit, I never expected to have to wait like an entire year, jeez.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

When the hell am I going to be able to see this movie? This is some bullshit, I never expected to have to wait like an entire year, jeez.

I can take a strong guess.

Funimation has to stagger their release to X amount of months after the Toho release in Japan because otherwise Japanese fans could just get the Funimation bluray for cheaper.

Maybe that's wrong but I doubt it.

So you know, watch the movie however you can. That's what I did. It's a really good film, but I'm going to save my thoughts on it for later.

loving adore Who Will Know

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxIrjDQDNU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Someone on the blu-ray.com forums said this:

quote:

Shin Godzilla's coming to Blu-ray in August from Funimation.

This was announced in a newsletter from Famous Monsters of Filmland, who are hosting a special screening of the film in Dallas later this month. I imagine Funimation will make the full announcement around that event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus, for-loving-ever.