Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

AndrewP posted:

never played h1Z1 but I picked this up today on a whim and it's super fun. where do you guys usually jump out? I try to wait and then hug the edge but obviously that has its drawbacks and it's usually hard to find a car.

I typically will jump somewhere in the middle. Half the plane usually dumps as soon as you cross land, and it's more likely that you will be in the circle if you land in the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

VikingSkull posted:

Killing people will affect your overall ranking but Top-10's, to me, seem like a more reliable way of increasing the overall score. My K/D is rear end (something like 0.35) and I'm still around ~5,000th place in Solo.

Surviving longer definitely counts for more. I just had my second win and killed seven players to get there. I got less than 200 points for those kills and something like 800+ points for winning.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I agree, but I mean it more in the sense that there isn't a reason to flesh out a melee system with multiple items if you are going to have hit detection as bad as it is.

Oh. Yeah. I mean, I've boxed out dudes a few times in the early-game, so it's at least semi-functional. But it's not like you'd ever engage in melee after that point.

E: I take it back. Just had a boxing match with some other guy and he was warping around all over and I could land a hit. Fantastic.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 27, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I try and jump out somewhere in the middle and then fly off to the side a bit to the nearest decent sized grouping of buildings that's far enough away from the plane's flight path that other players won't go there. I haven't been having much luck with this recently though, as it seems more and more players are having the same idea.

The best strategy is probably to learn where some guaranteed or likely vehicle spawns are and drop on them, then drive to somewhere decent.

It's always a big risk to wait until the end of the flight path - yes, you'll very likely have no competition for loot, but if you can't find a vehicle you're probably going to spend most of the game sprinting across open fields desperately trying to keep up with the circle, and the best gear in the game isn't going to help you when you're completely exposed in the middle of a field with people shooting at you from god-knows-where.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
One of the things that's cool so far is it seems there's really no meta build or strat to take, really. Half of this game is luck, maybe more. You can go in with a ton of people and your chance of dying goes way up, but beyond that, I've found success with a car and going someplace others haven't. I can jump straight down and as long as there isn't many people near, I'm good that way, too. Hell, I've even made it to the top 10 with just a pistol I found in a shack and hiding in previously looted buildings like a chickenshit.

As long as you make it past the first 50 players and don't get a bad matchup/draw a bead on the other guy first, you're golden IMO.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One thing I have noticed, and others may confirm this, is if you wait and jump into the big cities near the middle then you will have to scavenge up a full loadout. But if you jump immediately then every backwoods shack will have sixteen rifles in it. So I guess it's a game of what kind of fight you want to have for when you jump.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
For anyone looking for a performance boost, try these launch options in Steam if you haven't already -

-USEALLAVAILABLECORES -malloc=system -sm4

With everything set to Very Low, I can get a decent framerate even in the big towns on my laptop with an i5 6300Q and 960M using these settings. When I get back to my desktop, it should mean that I can get a constant 60 at 1080p, too.

It looks like poo poo, of course, but until they get some optimisation done I'm happy to play like this.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 27, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So games dont last longer than 40 minutes (which is good in my book because life happens occasionally), and this game seems enjoyable playing alone since there's only one winner each round?

Are there any huge annoyances I should know about before I pull the trigger? If the devs straight up abandoned the game (which I have to assume with early access), is there still enough meat on the bone for fun?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

So games dont last longer than 40 minutes (which is good in my book because life happens occasionally), and this game seems enjoyable playing alone since there's only one winner each round?

Are there any huge annoyances I should know about before I pull the trigger? If the devs straight up abandoned the game (which I have to assume with early access), is there still enough meat on the bone for fun?

The game is very playable in its current state. There are some bugs and small annoyances, but nothing gamebreaking and the core gameplay is all there and it's very fun. If the game has really only been in development for 9 months or however long someone said earlier in the thread, then they've done great work and it bodes very well for future development.

You can choose to queue solo, in which case everyone in the game is a solo player, as a duo, or as a team of 4. Each is a separate gamemode, so you're never coming up against teams of players if you queue solo.

I can't see them abandoning the game - the launch has been pretty hugely successful, it's doing massive numbers on Twitch, and they've already outlined in detail their roadmap for the coming months. However, even if the dev team all died in a horrible accident or something, I would say that what's there now is already pretty much a complete game and you can easily get $30 worth of fun out of it.

E: I can't remember the last time I saw a game so handily beat League in viewer numbers. Granted 50k(!) of those viewers are watching one streamer (Summit), but yeah, the game isn't going anywhere.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 27, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Yeah, if bite sized tactical shooters are your thing this game is already worth $30. All they really have to do is work on optimization, tbh. Anything that comes after that fact is gravy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
thanks for the writeup and the dangerous enabling of my potentially bad life choices!

Orv
May 4, 2011
This game seems to have the potential to be the one that sticks. ArmA already has an in-built base, and BR just started there so it'll always keep a certain loyalty cache. H1Z1 is a pile of garbage posing as a video game. If they can shore up this game and make it flawless (or as close as video games get), there's no reason this won't stick around even beyond the new yearly genre contender that is somehow mandated by divine law.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The one thing I would caution is that the game has a very generous third person camera, which means that corner peeking is very much a thing. That being said, it's pretty smooth otherwise.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's funny - I'm always nervous that I'm gonna get ambushed from some shrubs or sniped, but almost every time I die it's totally my own fault because forget and I let my guard down around a new building.

I can already tell this game is going to be an evening eater.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The tension when you're down to 10 players in a small area is really goddamn awesome. I've had a few top five finishes but haven't quite yet managed to seal the deal.

E: And yeah, if you're holed up in a building in the middle of a smaller circle, people are naturally going to gravitate towards it. If you close the door after you, they may be fooled into letting their guard down thinking that it's unlooted. Sit by the entrance and gun them down as they run in. :getin:

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
I tend to be more of a fan of working the rim of the circle and planning my move until the last possible second. That way I can essentially ensure nobody is behind me and I have only one front. Whenever I get to the middle of the circle and fortify up I find that I get caught in the middle of a few people/squads and die.

I've won both ways, though -- part of the charm of this game is that there doesn't seem to be a set strategy quite yet.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bardeh posted:

E: And yeah, if you're holed up in a building in the middle of a smaller circle, people are naturally going to gravitate towards it. If you close the door after you, they may be fooled into letting their guard down thinking that it's unlooted. Sit by the entrance and gun them down as they run in. :getin:

I've managed to do this only once. Heart was pounding as I waited for him to walk through the front door. My shot's lined up ready to go, he waltzes in, and... I had forgotten to put my gun on auto. The best laid plans...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Close your external doors because people drive their cars up and they're pretty easy to headshot. If you leave the doors open, they're either going to drive off or pretend to drive off and camp you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bardeh posted:

For anyone looking for a performance boost, try these launch options in Steam if you haven't already -

Oh yeah, this was a huge deal for me. Before that, I'd occasionally run into huge performance drops, and on more than one occasion I'd ended up in an area with none of the buildings loaded in, preventing me from looting anything. Ever since adding that command it's been smooth sailing for me.

Also, [ASK] me about finding my 12th pistol in a row while I still don't have a long gun. :suicide:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I grabbed this this weekend after seeing how popular it was, and hating how H1Z1 (or w/e it's called) looked. Enjoying myself a lot, it's like a way quicker version of early Arma 2 DayZ modding.

I somehow got to second place in my 5th game after basically dying in the first 5m every single time before cause I didn't know what I was doing and 5 other people would land near by and slaughter me.

Just playing it slow and steady and trying to plan your movements is what helped me a lot. I probably could have won the game since I could see the other person but he couldn't see me, but I was in a lovely spot and had 8 5.56 rounds left and only a shotgun as my backup (I was also wasn't in the last circle).

My heart was pounding after that match and now I'm usually in the top 25. I could see this being a lot of fun in duos and squad if you're with the right people.

$30 is a good price for this game. It does have some serious pop-in and lag issues early game though.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Another sniping suggestion. Never sit on top of a hill to snipe. Always have something behind at your high vantage point. That way your body won't break the horizon and make it easy for someone to spot when they look in your direction.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
To be completely honest, I'd almost say "never snipe" just as a blanket statement for this game, which is weird for a shooter in 2017. I mean, by all means pick up the 4x or 8x if you find it and an SKS or K98 or whatever, but to snipe properly in this game you need to really have positioning and set up for ambushes. That takes time. Time you don't have, because early game the spacing between players is large and you should be looting. Mid-game is probably when sniping is most useful, and late game that rifle is taking up a slot that might be better suited for a UMP or shotgun. Sniping with the M16 or M416 is likely the best way, with the AKM if you can also get one for building fights.

It's not that sniper rifles are bad, but they aren't OP in this game which is refreshing. Always a danger to players, but not so overbearing that the game devolves into a sniper duel. Keep them in your toolkit, but if you're playing this game to snipe someone will likely come along and eat your lunch.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My first game was a squad of 3's with 2 friends who immediately died, and they backseat played for me as I sat prone in a building until I was top 10 without firing a shot. I got real lucky and the play-zone continued to be centered on me.

Now, I am the guy that complains that people have it easy when the playzone centers on them the entire game. Game rules, though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, sniping can be good in a "drop shot a guy in a valley" way but this game is far more arcadey than most for several reasons which means that the slow and methodical method doesn't really work.

Or maybe I am just biased because I am shotty4lyfe.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Just for the record, most of what I say I'm applying to Solo because that's what I play. I'd imagine having a dedicated long range guy in Squad is probably far more useful.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Are they gonna add a first person only mode or something? That's something I always disliked about DayZ (or even Arma itself). If it's there I'm gonna use it cause I'm not going to put myself in a disadvantage over some e-honour BS but I don't like using third person and don't like the lack of danger in some situations

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Are they gonna add a first person only mode or something? That's something I always disliked about DayZ (or even Arma itself). If it's there I'm gonna use it cause I'm not going to put myself in a disadvantage over some e-honour BS but I don't like using third person and don't like the lack of danger in some situations

Press V in game for first person

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

VikingSkull posted:

Just for the record, most of what I say I'm applying to Solo because that's what I play. I'd imagine having a dedicated long range guy in Squad is probably far more useful.

It is, my 4man group has at least 1 dedicated sniper, possibly 2 if it calls for it.

The last game we played of the night, we got lucky and the airdrop landed close enough to us we only needed to wipe one other squad to get it and it contained an AWP, so our best shot took it and gave his kar to our second best shot. Me being a terrible sniper, had 2 ARs and our 4th was relegated to AR/shotty duty.

That AWP man, that loving gun is insane. Especially when you can cover the sniper and give him free reign to do whatever he wants while his 3 squaddies protect him.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Sniping with an M16 definitely seems a lot better than giving up a slot for a "real" sniper. ACOG is sufficient for almost everything. If they're too far away for 4X, it's maybe not worth shooting.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Even if you kill the dude with a sicknasty 500m headshot, you've just let everyone know you exist. Unless you also have a suppressor, in which case you basically won the PUBG lottery because I don't think I've ever encountered a suppressor and a DMR/sniper in the same game. I always pick up the sniper stuff too, if only to keep it away from others. Seems like when I pick up an 8x and a can, no rifle will ever drop for me.

Suppressed M16 with a 4x just feels infinitely more useful to me.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Press V in game for first person

I'm not gonna use first person if no one else is, I was wondering if there will be forced first person settings on some servers in the future.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

Even if you kill the dude with a sicknasty 500m headshot, you've just let everyone know you exist. Unless you also have a suppressor, in which case you basically won the PUBG lottery because I don't think I've ever encountered a suppressor and a DMR/sniper in the same game. I always pick up the sniper stuff too, if only to keep it away from others. Seems like when I pick up an 8x and a can, no rifle will ever drop for me.

Suppressed M16 with a 4x just feels infinitely more useful to me.

Yeah suppressed M4 with 4x is basically what I'm aiming for every game. If I can't find one, an M16 or SCAR or AK will do. I'm always on the lookout for a Kar or SKS, but then I generally find that I never use them over the assault rifles on all but the longest ranges, where you probably don't want to take the shot anyway because chances are you'll miss and give way too much information away on your location.

Finding an early AR suppressor (and a gun to go with it of course) is a huge boost to your chances of winning.

E: Yes, they've said that first person only 'hardcore' servers are coming in the future.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm not gonna use first person if no one else is, I was wondering if there will be forced first person settings on some servers in the future.

I read somewhere that there was going to be a "First Person Only" mode.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I usually play together with a guy on Duo, and most of our most successful runs had one of us with an SKS or Kar98k tuned for longish range, while the other had an assault rifle to quickly spray people down at shortish to medium range. It's a really potent combination, once a guy has been winged by a sniper shot (ideally to the head), you only need one or two hits with an assault rifle to finish him off. Usually we both also pack a shotgun or SMG for really short-range work in our secondary slots.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The shotgun with a choke (especially​ the 2shot one) is basically a rail gun. If you can't find a rifle, use that.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The shotgun with a choke (especially​ the 2shot one) is basically a rail gun. If you can't find a rifle, use that.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. I popped a guy from actual real life shotgun range and had to double check I had a shotgun equipped.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bardeh posted:

With everything set to Very Low, I can get a decent framerate even in the big towns on my laptop with an i5 6300Q and 960M using these settings. When I get back to my desktop, it should mean that I can get a constant 60 at 1080p, too.

It looks like poo poo, of course, but until they get some optimisation done I'm happy to play like this.

hm, this didn't seem to make a difference for me. certainly isn't unplayable but it's not silky smooth like it oughta be. I have it on high rather than ultra but I'm not sure it even makes a difference, seems about the same either way.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Has anyone else had issues firing a gun from the passenger seat of a boat?
2 other people in the boat could shoot no problem, but I was unable to. Oh well, early access and all that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
that feel when you and another player are trying to find the gun first between a few small houses 😰

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

buglord posted:

that feel when you and another player are trying to find the gun first between a few small houses 😰

That feel when you are parachuting in and casually look around and see a solid 20 other people jumped at the same time to land on the jigsaw houses near the sunken city.

Good lord that was a shot of adrenaline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

hm, this didn't seem to make a difference for me. certainly isn't unplayable but it's not silky smooth like it oughta be. I have it on high rather than ultra but I'm not sure it even makes a difference, seems about the same either way.

I would have foliage set to Very Low if nothing else, it'll help you spot people easier. The game doesn't run well for anyone really at the moment, but optimisation is apparently their top priority.

I do wish there were other AA options though. It's a jaggy mess without it on, but there's only the default AA option ingame and it's goddamn horrible - makes everything a blurry mess and gives me a headache.

• Locked thread