Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm partial to some wealth and some training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

CourValant posted:

We need a trainer.

If even one of these cubs is female, they will grow up to be the size of a house.

They need to be trained to not eat the street urchins, as a bare minimum, and they need to be trained now, while they're young and impressionable.

This is another good point. We need an expert because there's a lot we don't know. The size difference between sexes is a hell of a variable to plan for, and we don't know how quickly they will grow in general. Who knows if they require some crazy poo poo? Maybe they need rocks for their gizzards and we haven't provided them? Who knows if their beaks will eventually kill'em if we don't give'em something to sharpen on? Maybe we need to preen them and we never have and they're fluffy due to negligence.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Fluffy due to negligence.

That should be on a t-shirt.

Balder
Apr 3, 2011
Just want to chime in and say that the name of the Drow nobleman has got me in stitches. Really great stuff Swedish Thaumocracy, thank you for taking the time to do this!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Zbat Economy

Mr. Nemo posted:

Is there anyone in town we can expect to know something about Zbats?

As you have been barred from entry into Braav, you instead ask your recruits if any of them has encountered Zbats before, or heard anything about them. Kvelar, after a moments hesitation, pipes up.

"Aye, I have at that. Geralds description jogged my memory and that it needed exercise at all should be testament to the strange nature of our prey.
They boggle the mind ye see. Ye cannot rightly describe them proper, other than callin' them the absence of bat, for such is the way they make ye feel. From what I recall they were right uncomfortable to look at, though they meant no harm and showed me no signs of hostility. Twas right around this area that I saw them, come tae think of it. Some five years ago? 'fraid I hae naught else of use tae tell ye since I never hunted them for sport nor profit."

Outrail posted:

5 wealth is chump change.

It is Month 3, Week 4, Day 1.
You have [11 wealth] to your name.
In 7 days time, you owe [07 wealth] in salaries and general maintenance.
Additionally, you owe [30 wealth] to be paid in full at the end of Month Six

Considering you already have enough well to pay salaries for your recruit for this month and most of the next, any [wealth] you accrue beyond the [03] needed for next month is pure profit. You stand to make somewhere between [01] and [10] wealth for the mission at hand, with the possibility of a bonus on top of that. If you continue at your current pace, paying of the loan should not be a problem.

Unless you blow yourselves up, I guess!

Arkanomen posted:

Could we sell the owlvears to the lord for some $$$?

This was amongst the first Owlbear-cub related votes. It was voted down. You are reasonably sure the Lord would have no use for them, aside from perhaps serving them as the main course of a fancy dinner or feeding them to his beloved Flopsy. Just in case though, you ask Gerald. He confirms your suspicions. As far as he is concerned, they are walking owlbear-steaks. Tasty but not really a resource with a value measured in [wealth].

Balder posted:

Just want to chime in and say that the name of the Drow nobleman has got me in stitches. Really great stuff Swedish Thaumocracy, thank you for taking the time to do this!

:v:

Glad you enjoy it! I'm just happy that people find this interesting enough to stick around.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

Yeah, I'm partial to some wealth and some training

Same

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Fine Print
Outskirts of Braav.
Month 3, Week 4, Day 1.
Evening

You lock horns with Gerald over the finer details of the contract whilst your companions set up camp for the night.
Not what most of them had in mind, but then again times like these come with the profession.

In regards to the particulars of the legal writ, you are evenly matched. Your long experience as an accountant usually serves you well in these matters, but Gerald is no slouch himself.
He is a lawyer at heart and moulds loopholes like clay. That you have been hand-picked by his Lord should play to your advantage. He cannot refuse you the mission.
At the same time, if you ever want to see your new home again you cannot actually refuse to do it either. Thus the discussions focus more on the “how much” rather than anything else.

And there is much the Lord of Braav can give you. His word carries great weight when it can be understood and his network is vast if nothing else than due to his station.
His armoury is filled with high quality equipment, in part ever present drow-paranoia and in part Imperial Mandate that he is to arm the Local Militia. T
hough many things tempt you, you settle on haggling for increased pay and a lease on an animal trainer for your owlbear cubs.
That is not to say that such a person exists, but Gerald assures you that an exotic trainer of some sort can be arranged in liue of cash if that is what you require.

Though it takes you all evening and even more of your strength, you skilfully outmanouver him at every turn.
Though he has overseen many a contract for his Lord, it becomes apparent that he has never faced someone with your raw acumen and so in a thirty-step plan you manage to snare his loopholes into another, even bigger loophole of your own.

---

[Finalized Contract Status]

For every 20 bats, you will now obtain [03 wealth] instead of [02] and the bonus for finding a fertile specimen has likewise increased from [01] to [02 wealth]. The cap remains at a hundred bats, for a maximum of [15+2 wealth] should you complete all objectives.
This reward will then be divided in half in order to pay for your animal trainer, with the number of wealth rounded up equal to the time in months that xir will stay with you.
The bats are to be brought back alive, as it is unlikely that they will stay fresh enough if killed before delivery. Servants of the Lord of Braav will keep guard by the road to Braav where you first saw them and it is there that you will make your delivery.
Once done, the Township of Braav will once more be open to you.

---

You briefly consider sitting down with your recruits to clear the air, but the brothers Lomans warning echoes in your ear. Best not to push your luck, if you want people to be battle-ready in the morning.

You retire to your tent, and sleep.

---

And wake up in a cold sweat. You were lost. So lost. But the nightmare quickly fades. It is midnight. You rub your eyes, turn over, go back to sleep.

---

And wake up in a cold sweat. You were alone, so alone. But the nightmare quickly fades. It is well deep into the night. You rub your eyes, turn over, go back to sleep.

---

And wake up in a cold sweat. You were sad. You rub your eyes, your face covered in tears. The night is oppressive, dark. You turn over, go back to sleep.

---

And wake up in a cold sweat.

Nettle Soup posted:

We need to sort out the whole "you are being haunted" thing at some point.

1: And you...

1: Rub your eyes, go back to sleep.

B: Have a midnight snack.
[-01 Etheral RimRose Cupcakes]

C: Go back to sleep, try to concentrate on the nightmare.

D: Go back to sleep. Try to concentrate on something else?
If so, what? Write-in.

D: Do something else?
Write-in

---

You are alone by yourself in a tent in the forest outside Braav. Your gear and equipment lies safely nearby. There are no monsters nearby, and even if there were you have both your companions and the Lords Guard within shouting distance.
Your force should be well capable to handle things. It is sometime, late at night. In the morning you will head to the cave and begin your new quest.

You are unhurt. You are very much fatigued. You are being haunted. You fight with a dwarven battle-axe and shield. You don't have any armour, but Skvababt is making some for you. It should be done soon.

You have 05 x Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes remaining.

Outside, a light rain covers the world. The autumn leaves, where such can be found, are falling gently in the breeze. The moon shines dimly through clouds. It is cold.
The world is at rest, save you.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
B - God drat it if are we being haunted by the cow you jerkoffs tested the soul-ballista on.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B Drugs solve all problems!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
B

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

nothing to seehere posted:

B Drugs solve all problems!

yes

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

C We should try to find a way to enter the cupcake state without eating them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
B - because I'm hungry and want a cupcake.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
C

Let's at least try not to waste our soul ammunition.

Sounds like a sweet mission. Good payoff, and we are bound to kill something nasty in the caves, meaning a few extra wealth. Now we only need to survive. Not having armor sucks though.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
C

Edit: Swedish, I really like the cyoa, thanks for the effort. Even if I don't vote often or write much. Phone posting yo

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 27, 2017

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
C Until we have a way to recoup our stock of cupcakes, I think we should be more judicious in our inbiding.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

C

It's probably our Dream Stalker dude.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Nightmares
Outskirts of Braav.
Month 3, Week 4, Day 1 & 2.
Nighttime

You roll over and go to sleep.

You float through an endless field. You yearn for others of your kind, but you may never reach them. The grass is bountiful but you have not the energy to feed.

You wake up in a cold sweat. The night is long. You roll over, go back to sleep.

---

You float through an endless field, the stars above mimicking the fragrant flowers in their myriad colours. Some are missing. You cannot touch them. The world is cold and you are afraid. What has always been obvious is now diffuse. You do not know the way.
Nothing binds you yet you remain, lost between the worlds.

You wake up in a cold sweat. You want to scream but slumber overtakes your burgeoning madness and you go limp in your sleeping bag once more.

---

You float through an endless field. The world is cold and dark. You float aimlessly, you have nowhere to go. No place to call home. No place to belong, anymore.
Will this go on forever? You should waste away, yet you remain. You taste the memory of hunger, but even that has abandoned you.

Will this go on forever? You look upon yourself and despair.

x04

Yours. But it is not you, is it? This must be a dream? A nightmare?
You know yourself. Don't you? You were someone else before, when you were awake. Someone who this isn't. But who?

Who are you?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
B

We need to be able to sleep.

Let's see where the rabbit hole takes us this time.

The nightmares didn't start until after the flute episode; so perhaps we didn't finish whatever business we had in the past?

Edit
Never mind, too late

Edit 2
Good grief.

We're the Cow. The Cow we soul killed because we wanted to impress some urchins

CourValant fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 27, 2017

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Panacea this is dumb, what's going on?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Ha. Did we started to get haunted after we killed the cow? This is so dumb

We are *character name*, dwarf accountant and commander of ITEC. If anyone wishes to haunt us please present the appropriate forms. This disregard for Imperial Dreaming Standards will not stand.

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 27, 2017

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We're that cow we creatively slaughtered. PRETTY SURE we shot it without :pcgaming:Soul Ammo:pcgaming: though.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Mr. Nemo posted:

We are *character name*, dwarf accountant and commander of ITEC. If anyone wishes to haunt us please present the appropriate forms. This disregard for Imperial Dreaming Standards will not stand.

:lol:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Cat

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Mr. Nemo posted:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Nemo posted:

haha yes

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mr. Nemo posted:

:bisonyes:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Mr. Nemo posted:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Mr. Nemo posted:

We are :siren:Thorgrim Ironscript:siren:, dwarf accountant and commander of ITEC. If anyone wishes to haunt us please present the appropriate forms. This disregard for Imperial Dreaming Standards will not stand.

Y'all are lazy but I also vote this

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Dog Kisser posted:

Y'all are lazy but I also vote this

At first I had written Kvelar, be thankful I at least remember who we weren't. Thanks, I did remember "Thorgrim" later, but as you said, lazy.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Mr. Nemo posted:

+1

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Mr. Nemo posted:

Lmao yes

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mr. Nemo posted:

Cows do not have thumbs so we should be in the clear.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Endless Fields
A Nightmare?

No. You are not a cow. That is preposterous. You are Thorgrim Ironscript. Dwarf Accountant and commander of ITEC. Crafter of the legendary ##Nåzom Stegėth## and hunter of monsters.
If anyone wishes to haunt you they must first present the appropriate forms. This disregard for Imperial Dreaming Standards will not stand!

You reject false cattles clothing and manifest into the field of dreams. You are as you imagine; yourself made perfect. Distinct. Your right arm bears the waspable gauntlet and you wear the finest silks.
Your helmet menaces with spikes of iron, as is the fashion back at home, imported from the vanity of Drow. You heft your axe with grace and skill. Flex those muscles that intensive writing has wrought.

You touch down and feel the grass beneath your feet, conquering the untouchable realm with your numberbound will. A fresh lungful of air fills your body and you expand your senses to look around you, to see the sights unseen.

A cow hovers nearby. It may, can not not touch the ground. It is mildly translucent and you can see the fields behind it, through it. It bears a great scar across it's length. One that might never heal.
There is a small hole in its forehead, inside of which is void. It trails a heavy chain behind it, attached to nothing. This is all wrong. You understand this on some instinctive level. It stares at you with tear filled eyes.

For most; this is an out of context problem. Your society has no afterlife of which to speak. Citizens live, and then they die. The Gods are above such limitations. The covenant between these entities are laid more upon the whole than the individual.
Through the combined efforts mortal and divine, the Empire prospers and that, most would say, has always been enough.

That is not to say that death has not been speculated about, for the mind is ever curious at what might be. Some, a select few, believe in reincarnation. Some that their essence might join that of the Gods themselves. Not as servants with immortal bodies, mind.
Simply as another part of the whole. Others believe that some part of them might live on in deeds and memory. Some go so far as to venerate the ancestors, but it is always the case that this is because they believe what their ancestors did was Just and Good.
Not a belief that they would be punished by the dead should they act in opposition. Call it fandom, for that is closer to the truth.

To most, but not all, the concept of a Ghost or a Spectre is thus meaningless. The Dwarves of the Mountainhomes have an ancient custom that suggests otherwise. It is called Memorialization.

When a corpse of a recently deceased citizen s rendered inaccessible, be it via cave-in, chasm-drop lavaflow, earthquake, poisonous gasses, monsters or all of the above and everything in between, the name of said citizen is etched in metal and placed in the hall of memory.
To do otherwise would be an ill omen. Great misfortune might befall the Mountainhome. Scholars of tradition speculate as to the why; some unseen monster drawn by ill-mannered descendants? By sheer lack of respect for their elders? By some unconscious guilt?

Nevertheless, this practice is seen by most as an ancient superstition. The World Church frowns at such things, but as long as the paperwork is handled (the death certificates invariably survive), the Bureaucracy is appeased and the workers are happy, they leave it be.

If all your experiences to date with the strange world of dreams has any truth to them, you may have found an alternate answer. The mind boggles at the implication, and you remember...

Memory of Panacea posted:

"To achieve the impossible without Failure and Rejection, you must first overcome the Lie of Reality."

Ghosts. A persistent memory of the dead. Forever out of reach, yet able to make their influence felt upon the world of the living. Everyone would call you a madman for uttering such nonsense, but no one else is present save the cow.
You have a sneaking suspicion that it, at least, would believe you.

---

The two of you alone upon the endless fields. Neither of you moving nor making a sound. The cow is sullen, broken, lonely and confused. You are flush with emotion.

What do you do?

A: Interact with the cow.
What do you want to do with it?

B: Change yourself.
You are Perfect, but there are many perfections to achieve. If you desire another outlook, simply change your form.

C: Focus on your surroundings.
Maybe there is some clue to be had in your surroundings? Or perhaps it is just a field.

D: Ask for help.
From who? How?

E: Pray for guidance.
To whom? Legitimate targets include Quackeen, Toil, Lolth and The Emperor.

F: Wake up.
Enough of this. Wake up and go back to sleep. Properly this time.

G: Something Else?
Write-in.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Soul kill an urchin to keep the cow company.

Do not do this

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So we can confirm that the the Siege Bow tears spirits/souls from their bodies. Gotta put this ghost cow out to pasture.

Edit:

Blasphemaster posted:

We're that cow we creatively slaughtered. PRETTY SURE we shot it without :pcgaming:Soul Ammo:pcgaming: though.

The cow got both styles of death.

Edit2: Apologize to the cow.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 28, 2017

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
C - Well let's have a look around.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A - heal the cow.

We're the one dreaming now, and if we can change ourself we can change other things. Now that we know about ghosts, we know to do things properly if/when we next kill something.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

C Cows are many things but perceptive isn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

D. Panacea buddy, you there?