Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Nah. DevOps is a pretty common term.

And bandwagons are pretty common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

But devops is a cultural thing, not a job title or a department. If a company is hiring a "devops engineer" or has a "devops team", they're doing it wrong and are just throwing buzzwords around. Someone who "does devops" is someone who works in dev or ops at a company that has embraced the devops culture.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

My resume has only barely marginally improved while working here. I can barely claim to have done anything worthwhile, and it sucks.

It's great to keep an eye on this stuff and to be motivated to do better, but do bear in mind that one of the most important things you're doing at this stage in your career is just gaining general experience. In other words there's more to your resume than just checking off skills and launching things.

quote:

That's good to hear. My current workplace has us all silo'd away and teams barely communicate except in the break room where people bitch about other teams and take potshots at certain key figures that gently caress things up (long story).

One big reason that Google gives free meals is to get people together in the same room even if they don't necessarily share a purpose, so that people have those opportunities for cross-pollination.

quote:

We did post-mortems at my last workplace, and ostensibly it was blame-free, but people got disciplined or fired over them anyway. I find the idea hard to trust as a result.

Yeah, it's very easy to cherry-pick the appearance of $famous_company's culture without actually adopting that culture. Not to drink the Kool-Aid too much, but I do feel like Google usually does a good job of practicing what it preaches, though. Certainly when things happen counter to the way they're "supposed" to happen, people get up in arms about it.

quote:

What do you do when a coworker constantly goes dark when remote/leaves after 12 each day, pushes poorly-made solutions that heavily slow down your team, doesn't offer any code review outside of "please alphabetize these things" or "changes I made to my CICD setup means your entire thing is hosed up now, please redo it all", and has managers asking around if anyone has their phone number so they can get in contact with said coworker?

Meaning, what happens when you have a complete rear end in a top hat on your team? Do you trash them in your peer evaluations, or be diplomatic?

I've fortunately not had to deal with such a situation myself, but I suspect it'd go something like this:

* Coworkers tell manager that $coworker isn't doing a very good job
* Manager tries to identify why $coworker is having trouble and works with them to improve
* If they don't improve, $coworker eventually gets fired

In peer evals, I would definitely say things like "$coworker has submitted numerous changes that required extensive remediation by other coworkers (see commits here, here, and here, plus followup bug tickets here and here)" and "I often had difficulty getting in touch with $coworker to coordinate our efforts, resulting in frequent blockages and unnecessary or duplicated effort." Then in the confidential feedback I'd probably tell my manager something like "They're impossible to work with. Why did we even hire them in the first place? They're really hurting everyones' quality of life and are more trouble than they're worth." For that matter, that confidential feedback would have been told to the manager in person rather earlier (since perf is only twice a year, that's a long time to suffer with an rear end in a top hat coworker).

asur
Dec 28, 2012

minato posted:

I hear Google recently tweaked their system to avoid people gaming it, where they'd release a project that had significant impact, then immediately abandon it in the next perf cycle because maintaining and supporting the old project had no impact. This apparently had led to a culture of tools and libs that were plentiful but not supported anymore.

I'm not aware of any tweaks aside from the reiteration of a focus on landing, i.e. the project actually having an impact through use,and not just launch. I've only been at Google a short time, but my experience with perf is pretty contrary to what's been said in this thread. It's better than the single manager option if your manager is bad, but only marginally as a manager still has a massive impact both in determining rating and promo. It's pretty similar to the performance review process at other companies I've been at where you write great things about yourself and others. I've never seen the point of writing honest self assessment for either yourself or others in this type of format as it's very difficult for it to not be held against you later. The normal format for that is some form of one on one.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Hold on, folks are writing documents that will go up the chain and determine raises, promotions, and general visibility in the company, and the phrase "soul-baring honesty" comes to mind?

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

But devops is a cultural thing, not a job title or a department. If a company is hiring a "devops engineer" or has a "devops team", they're doing it wrong and are just throwing buzzwords around. Someone who "does devops" is someone who works in dev or ops at a company that has embraced the devops culture.

My impression is that a devops team is a team that does both development and operations for an application.

A devops engineer I would think is someone who does both development and operations work.

Am I wrong, do those not exist?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It does, it's called a software engineer and it's me bitch!!!!!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Promotions are primarily determined by the number of chat apps you have launched

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

JawnV6 posted:

Hold on, folks are writing documents that will go up the chain and determine raises, promotions, and general visibility in the company, and the phrase "soul-baring honesty" comes to mind?

It totally does. I'm baring my pristine, perfect, flawless soul to everyone so they justly give me more money & power. I don't see a problem with being so honest. Maybe flawed people would.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Or how many good blog entires you've written! I wrote a sick nasty blog about a feature I worked on that was huge and "industry first" and "disruptive" and "market defining" before I quit at my last company that would have gotten me promoted.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Jose Valasquez posted:

Promotions are primarily determined by the number of chat apps you have launched

Yesterday I halfway considered making a Linux CLI based chatapp with cloud pubsub as a joke/troll/learning exercise before realizing that was 90% IRC.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My exposure to devops at the beginning of my career pretty much cemented it as "the AWS, Jenkins, and Chef guys". Devops to me means everything to do with getting the app running and available to consumers without literally programming it, separated from "actual development".

I don't think I'm happy with that meaning.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

mrmcd posted:

Yesterday I halfway considered making a Linux CLI based chatapp with cloud pubsub as a joke/troll/learning exercise before realizing that was 90% IRC.

I wrote a chat app once that consisted of a webpage and a single file on the server that was the chat history. You'd just go to the web page, choose the name you wanted to present yourself as, and type your message into a text box, then the text would be sent to the server and written to the file, which every client periodically refreshed.

It was actually kind of fun to have conversations with my friends on this janky crappy chat program I wrote to teach myself basic Javascript and CGI.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wrote a chat app once that consisted of a webpage and a single file on the server that was the chat history. You'd just go to the web page, choose the name you wanted to present yourself as, and type your message into a text box, then the text would be sent to the server and written to the file, which every client periodically refreshed.

It was actually kind of fun to have conversations with my friends on this janky crappy chat program I wrote to teach myself basic Javascript and CGI.

My first job out of college I wrote a chat app inside a post-trade allocation and clerking program used by the brokers at the fixed income firm I worked for. There wasn't much reason beyond I was playing around with the jgroups library and it was really easy to do. Writing a janky chatapp no one wants is practically a SWE right of passage at this point.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Perf is still reviewed and evaluated by management, so it just shifts the onus of reporting and reviewing onto the employee. It doesn't sound all that different from typical management to me.

Pollyanna posted:

What do you do when a coworker constantly goes dark when remote/leaves after 12 each day, pushes poorly-made solutions that heavily slow down your team, doesn't offer any code review outside of "please alphabetize these things" or "changes I made to my CICD setup means your entire thing is hosed up now, please redo it all", and has managers asking around if anyone has their phone number so they can get in contact with said coworker?

Meaning, what happens when you have a complete rear end in a top hat on your team? Do you trash them in your peer evaluations, or be diplomatic?

You filter them out in the interview, hopefully, and failing that, you have them managed by someone who will notice this more or less immediately. Management at Google isn't really comparable to traditional management. Most managers (especially first tier managers) are still individual contributors in some capacity, and will be code reviewing patches from their reports. If they don't notice that their report is useless within like a week, something has gone very wrong.

(it's harder if they're assholes in the "doesn't play well with others" category, AFAIK what will usually happen is that they'll get dinged for it in perf/calibration, and get explicit feedback of "stop being such an rear end in a top hat")

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I think he meant the engineer part of the title, not the devops part.

drat this thread move fast today !

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

I've fortunately not had to deal with such a situation myself, but I suspect it'd go something like this:

* Coworkers tell manager that $coworker isn't doing a very good job
* Manager tries to identify why $coworker is having trouble and works with them to improve
* If they don't improve, $coworker eventually gets fired

In peer evals, I would definitely say things like "$coworker has submitted numerous changes that required extensive remediation by other coworkers (see commits here, here, and here, plus followup bug tickets here and here)" and "I often had difficulty getting in touch with $coworker to coordinate our efforts, resulting in frequent blockages and unnecessary or duplicated effort." Then in the confidential feedback I'd probably tell my manager something like "They're impossible to work with. Why did we even hire them in the first place? They're really hurting everyones' quality of life and are more trouble than they're worth." For that matter, that confidential feedback would have been told to the manager in person rather earlier (since perf is only twice a year, that's a long time to suffer with an rear end in a top hat coworker).
Wow.

At any point do you, or anybody besides manager(s), actually try to engage the coworker with whom you have a problem?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

waloo posted:

Wow.

At any point do you, or anybody besides manager(s), actually try to engage the coworker with whom you have a problem?

I mean, yes and no. I don't feel like it's really appropriate for me to tell a coworker "you're doing a bad job, what the hell?" Especially I don't think it's appropriate for a struggling coworker to be told they're doing poorly by all of their coworkers. Letting the manager take point on that kind of thing means that a struggling coworker only has to go through one uncomfortable conversation. It can often be hard to tell the difference between someone who's disengaged because of legitimate issues and one that's just an rear end in a top hat, and I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt when possible.

If the team's reasonably clear that the underlying problem is that the coworker's skills aren't up to par, then we can all pitch in to help train them. If the problem is that they're an rear end in a top hat, then honestly I'm not sure what kind of remediation any of us, coworkers or manager, can take. You have to convince the rear end in a top hat to align their goals with your own somehow, and that's not a skill I have. Which is why I let the manager handle it; they have more training on interpersonal relations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I mean, yes and no. I don't feel like it's really appropriate for me to tell a coworker "you're doing a bad job, what the hell?" Especially I don't think it's appropriate for a struggling coworker to be told they're doing poorly by all of their coworkers. Letting the manager take point on that kind of thing means that a struggling coworker only has to go through one uncomfortable conversation. It can often be hard to tell the difference between someone who's disengaged because of legitimate issues and one that's just an rear end in a top hat, and I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt when possible.

If the team's reasonably clear that the underlying problem is that the coworker's skills aren't up to par, then we can all pitch in to help train them. If the problem is that they're an rear end in a top hat, then honestly I'm not sure what kind of remediation any of us, coworkers or manager, can take. You have to convince the rear end in a top hat to align their goals with your own somehow, and that's not a skill I have. Which is why I let the manager handle it; they have more training on interpersonal relations.

My manager summarized his transfer from an Eng to Management ladder as "Going from looking at a piece of code all day and asking myself 'What about this isn't working correctly and why?' to looking at people all day and asking 'What about this person isn't working correctly and why?'"

That, and calendar Tetris.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
The comparison you should be making is you versus the idealized version of who you could be in the near future, if you give it a fair shot (i.e. not killing yourself with work).

The more time I spend at Facebook the more I appreciate the ways in which its corporate culture is actually super great at growing people into better engineers and leaders.

Pollyanna posted:

Goddamn that's hardcore. I have to admit, though, that's something I've been missing a bit in my own career. Some reasons this can be difficult to pull off, though:

- Not knowing the business needs or requirements for an ongoing concern, or not being in the loop business-wise
- Not being trusted to make business decisions/being considered too low-level
- Not being interested enough in what's going on (who gets excited over life insurance?)

Is this something that's addressed in these cases?
There are still PMs and at least in my case, they still do a good making business need, engineering effort, design scheduling, data science, etc all line up. A popular slogan at Facebook is "Nothing is someone else's problem" - everyone is empowered to do almost anything, and consequently anyone who sees something going wrong is strongly encouraged to flag it, and if possible help fix it. But you're not thrown to the lions. You should always know what's expected of you upfront and how you're doing, and if you don't then your manager isn't doing their job at Facebook.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I can see myself immediately putting my foot in my mouth if I end up doing a job like this. I mean, I can do it - lord knows I've been outspoken about stuff at my current job - but I can't guarantee not accidentally pissing someone off by doing so.
We have tons of outspoken people disagreeing all the time, sometimes very strongly. I argue for things I believe strongly very frequently. Nobody from HR has ever given me a hard time for it, nor my boss, nor my peers. Some feedback, but not negative stuff. Granted, there's an expectation of not attacking people or being hurtful, which if crossed, will earn you a visit.

Pollyanna posted:

That's good, at least - I just wouldn't want to see L3 and L4's opinions and buy-in being discounted or ignored.
Levels at FB are not visible. I talked to an E6 for a long time and he was surprised I wasn't an E5 yet, and he took me seriously. Buy-in and opinions are not discounted based on a number, but on their perceived contribution, or at least that's been the case for me. I've definitely seen myself move from the lower-value end of the spectrum to the higher end, where my team contributions are concerned, as I've integrated myself more with the team and gotten better at defining my role. Speaking up, being intellectually honest, and treating people right are all pretty defining aspects of Facebook culture/values.

Pollyanna posted:

FB does have a Boston office, I think...I could apply to FB too. I don't like PHP though. If they do Elixir or Clojure that'd rule!
I think (but am not sure) that the Boston office is mostly AI/Machine Learning, but perhaps not exclusively so.

Also, we don't really do PHP. We do Hack, Python, C++, Java, Objective-C, Javascript. I think we have some ML and Haskell enthusiasts, but ultimately the languages we pick are ones that we can invest in for the long-term (this is why for example Scala is not a particularly good fit for the codebase).

Hack is a really meaningful difference because we have a unit-testable, fully linted, IDE-supported, autocompleted, generic-collection-enabled, strictly type-checked system in place with a bunch of tooling around deployment and data gathering. It doesn't resemble PHP in any meaningful way except syntax and compatibility, and developing in it feels a great deal more like Java than like PHP. And that's if you even end up writing Hack.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 24, 2017

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Levels at FB are not visible. I talked to an E6 for a long time and he was surprised I wasn't an E5 yet, and he took me seriously. Buy-in and opinions are not discounted based on a number, but on their perceived contribution, or at least that's been the case for me. I've definitely seen myself move from the lower-value end of the spectrum to the higher end, where my team contributions are concerned, as I've integrated myself more with the team and gotten better at defining my role. Speaking up, being intellectually honest, and treating people right are all pretty defining aspects of Facebook culture/values.
end
Levels at Google are visible if you decide to make yours visible but I can't say they really matter in a discussion. I've regularly debated designs with L7s and 8s and level has never come up, even when I was a 3, and I doubt any of us knew or cared what level anyone was at the time.

Re the perf stuff I've done promo a few times now and it's not terrible, but it does suck forcing yourself to write about how great you are if it doesn't come naturally to you.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hughlander posted:

So it's Friday and i'm going to be :f5:ing this thread like a motherfucker ; I expect updates and not blue balls.

Nothing happened. Nobody has said anything. I quietly threw the packet into the garbage. We'll see if it was just an empty-threat scare tactic or if they just forgot because the upper management managed to miss four different flights today.

I'll keep you posted.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

So is "devops" the new "ops"?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Paolomania posted:

At most places that have it as a role it is a 100% ops role. What you'd call a systems administrator 15 years ago is now dev ops at those places. But again I consider anyone who has a role called DevOps to be a :redflag:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Ops is not at all DevOps in my industry.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I think (but am not sure) that the Boston office is mostly AI/Machine Learning, but perhaps not exclusively so.

Also, we don't really do PHP. We do Hack, Python, C++, Java, Objective-C, Javascript. I think we have some ML and Haskell enthusiasts, but ultimately the languages we pick are ones that we can invest in for the long-term (this is why for example Scala is not a particularly good fit for the codebase).

When I interviewed there last year, they said the Boston office had a lot of Facebook's version of SRE, security people, and some of the group that make the Hack compiler.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Mniot posted:

When I interviewed there last year, they said the Boston office had a lot of Facebook's version of SRE, security people, and some of the group that make the Hack compiler.

Ah. OK. My info is not particularly up to date or detailed. Let's go with ^ then.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There are two distinct definitions about the term devops that makes any conversation about it meaningless unless you pick exactly what you're talking about.

1. Role-based definition stretching anywhere between "build bitch" to "sysadmin that doesn't run and scream from a command line" (yes, a lot of sysadmins never touched a script in their lives - I literally put them out of jobs) to "site reliability engineer." All of them imply someone that knows something more about code than a for loop and isn't afraid of getting their hands dirty with the realities of shipping serious software once you hit git push
2. An organizational / cultural style closely related to lean and Agile methodologies that breaks down organizational silos between roles in favor of alignment around services instead of function while typically blurring the responsibilities of engineers historically between a development and operations / infrastructure organization.

Definition 1 preceded definition 2 because definition 2 is almost exclusively used by people trying to land consulting gigs for large, dysfunctional enterprises with technologies, persons, and methodologies stuck in the 90s back to the 60s with accompanying culture. These places after writing off these smaller companies for decades with a smug attitude are now looking for answers from all these startups and unicorns that grow much faster than them, deploy literally several orders of magnitudes of features more (and growing even further apart partly because of technical and cultural debt), and otherwise wipe the floor in stock and aggregate employee performance for the same business verticals.

All of the definitions, however, mean "nothing like how people developed and ran software in the 90s" which is not really applicable to anyone that's worked in technology somewhere other than a standard low-performing shop with expected low morale and low "give a poo poo."

Paolomania posted:

It's all more or less what any remotely competent sysadmin and operations organization should have been doing since the late 90s. Truth is that most operations organizations are expensive "click next, collect checks" shops because management has culturally driven out people that Get poo poo Done. This is why I don't expect most "devops" efforts to work out - because 90%+ of the time it doesn't address the root causes of low-performance cultures that comes top-down from management. Almost every time you see "devops" in a talk from this definition, you will also see the word "transformation."

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 25, 2017

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Mniot posted:

Weird, I had a recruiter contact me about a SRE position that was in NYC, Seattle, or Menlo Park, but specifically not Boston even though I asked.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
If SRE positions are essentially software engineer plus a pager then I would expect that there would be SREs at every office that has technical people. I mean, software engineers are going to be everywhere, they're not assigned to places based on job type but based product developed at each location, right? Why wouldn't SREs work the same way?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Blinkz0rz posted:

Weird, I had a recruiter contact me about a SRE position that was in NYC, Seattle, or Menlo Park, but specifically not Boston even though I asked.

Well this was from a FB recruiter, and they never said "SRE". They were telling me that the Boston office did things like figure out how they were going to build the 200th layer of caching around the core MySQL DB, or improve the deploy process that did all these automated roll-outs, canaries, and roll-backs, or come up with a "best practice" and then change all the lovely code to do it that good way.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
So how many people here really know how a computer works, how a program you write results in magic happening in a computer's processor?

When I graduated with a degree in CS, I thought I was smart. I got the best grades in my classes! I could kind of muddle through a dynamic programming algorithm or write a crappy ray tracer, but I didn't know anything about HTTP (what the hell is this "GET"? what's "POST"?). Later, I studied for interviews at big companies and realized I didn't really know anything about data structures or algorithms, either. I watched Tim Roughgarden's Coursera courses and for each topic, also learned from and did some practice problems from one of like 4 algorithm textbooks (they all had easily-comprehensible sections and incomprehensible sections, and none had easily-comprehensible sections for all topics).

Then I thought I was good, but hey, someone said I should learn what an operating system does. I got a B somehow in my OS class, but didn't know anything about them. Found a book on them and read it about 3 years after taking the class.

Similarly, didn't have any idea how TCP or IP worked. And now I've just realized, that while I have a vague notion of how an OS works, an OS is just one piece in the chain from some high-level language code (compiled) to assembly code (sort of interpreted by, sort of passed on by) to the OS which consists of more assembly, which is taken by the CPU and converted into actions between a bunch of registers and things, which are themselves implemented by "gates" or whatever that do magic, essentially.

I had a digital logic class, an assembly language class, a computer architecture class, an operating system class, and a computer networking class, and I got As all but operating systems, where I got a B, but I never noticed how they were related and graduated without any understanding of how the code I write makes stuff do stuff. So I feel like I know basically nothing, but then I have a pretty good job at a major software company, and I'm like... does that mean most people working as "software engineers" know even less or have I just done a good job of faking it? Maybe I shouldn't have gotten hired but I passed because everyone wants to ask graph and tree traversal questions and nobody asks systems questions other than basic concurrency stuff you'd learn about in an operating systems class?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Very few people understand that stuff. Most of us can get by without knowing as long as we're willing to accept that some things just work in certain ways. Probably a lot of us these days are working in environments that are abstracted away enough from the physical machine that we don't even really see those parts.

I went to school before most of what was in the previous paragraph was true, and as a result I did get a fair amount of training in what goes on under the hood. But nowadays it's mostly just interesting trivia.

If you want a little bit more insight into how it all fits together, check out Computer Science from the Bottom Up. It won't tell you everything, but it will tell you lots of things, and then you'll have words to Google for the things you want to learn more about.

Edit: It's also worth noting that nobody expects you to know too much coming out of an undergraduate computer science program. That's just to get you to the point where you have some basic knowledge and you've written some code. It's after you graduate that you start learning how to build software.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 25, 2017

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Yeah I still feel a distinct lack of operating systems and low-level knowledge because everything I work with is a god drat framework (Spark now, which is one of the worst tbh) and while I've obviously learned a ton in my jobs, a comprehensive operating systems class (or systems programming in a Unix environment, etc) is something I wish I could find on like Coursera.

Come to think of it - there has to be somewhere that to rate these types of courses right? Say I want to do a comprehensive functional programming course, there should be a place I can go to find the best freely available resource for that or something. (I say courses because working 45 hours a week, I need the structure of a course to motivate me)

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 25, 2017

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Mniot posted:

Well this was from a FB recruiter, and they never said "SRE". They were telling me that the Boston office did things like figure out how they were going to build the 200th layer of caching around the core MySQL DB, or improve the deploy process that did all these automated roll-outs, canaries, and roll-backs, or come up with a "best practice" and then change all the lovely code to do it that good way.

Facebook doesn't have SREs, the equivalent is probably PEs (Production Engineer)?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Come to think of it - there has to be somewhere that to rate these types of courses right? Say I want to do a comprehensive functional programming course, there should be a place I can go to find the best freely available resource for that or something. (I say courses because working 45 hours a week, I need the structure of a course to motivate me)

Class Central is the closest thing I'm aware of.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Facebook doesn't have SREs, the equivalent is probably PEs (Production Engineer)?

Yeah that was the department/org/group/whatev but it's basically the same thing so I didn't want to split hairs.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
This week will be two months at my new job. I've seen virtually no improvement from management in terms of defining the direction of our project, goals, resource allocation or any sort of medium-term roadmap. We routinely spend 45 minutes to over an hour in our daily stand-ups arguing over trivial bullshit. I have no idea what one of the senior engineers does to be honest.

The flow of any sort of product or business analyst to dev is non-existent. There's basically nobody speccing these stories and the person most involved with that (my boss, the VP of Engineering) is only very tangentially involved in this project because he's busy managing 10+ people, other projects, and working with non-engineering management. He also spends like, a ton of time coding and in a terminal? Timezones are also an issue. There are two other managers who clearly have no idea what the business requirements are and one attempts to come up with answers to questions we have that are frequently guesses, it seems.

Another problem though is that a lot of the things my manager wants to accomplish strike me as ridiculously over-engineered. He seems to want to engineer our own version of Kafka to use with Spark Streaming because Google Cloud doesn't have a managed Kafka service. I'm still struggling to understand why we need to do this as opposed to using another managed service they offer which could solve our problem (which they can - I researched this myself during downtime) and his answer to my proposition was "It's not Kafka and that's why we aren't using it".

is this bad luck or am I just learning the way of software development at start-ups?

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > Oldie Programming: He seems to want to engineer our own version of Kafka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

This week will be two months at my new job. I've seen virtually no improvement from management in terms of defining the direction of our project, goals, resource allocation or any sort of medium-term roadmap. We routinely spend 45 minutes to over an hour in our daily stand-ups arguing over trivial bullshit. I have no idea what one of the senior engineers does to be honest.

The flow of any sort of product or business analyst to dev is non-existent. There's basically nobody speccing these stories and the person most involved with that (my boss, the VP of Engineering) is only very tangentially involved in this project because he's busy managing 10+ people, other projects, and working with non-engineering management. He also spends like, a ton of time coding and in a terminal? Timezones are also an issue. There are two other managers who clearly have no idea what the business requirements are and one attempts to come up with answers to questions we have that are frequently guesses, it seems.

Another problem though is that a lot of the things my manager wants to accomplish strike me as ridiculously over-engineered. He seems to want to engineer our own version of Kafka to use with Spark Streaming because Google Cloud doesn't have a managed Kafka service. I'm still struggling to understand why we need to do this as opposed to using another managed service they offer which could solve our problem (which they can - I researched this myself during downtime) and his answer to my proposition was "It's not Kafka and that's why we aren't using it".

is this bad luck or am I just learning the way of software development at start-ups?

Failure to properly plan or delegate is pretty standard in startups.