Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Vlc works at a basic level, but "works" in 2017 should mean that it uses all available hardware acceleration for playing video, which afaict no linux media player does right now.

Switching to wayland is a necessary component of making this happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Vlc works at a basic level, but "works" in 2017 should mean that it uses all available hardware acceleration for playing video, which afaict no linux media player does right now.

Gstreamer works with HW acceleration, but LOL using gstreamer as a media player.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

fedora has the best gnome and wayland implementation

too bad gnome is trash. can't even change the keyboard model??

Sapozhnik posted:

mplayer and its forks have had hardware acceleration since forever now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Fedora is pretty great but lol at trying to get media stuff like VLC working since the switch to wayland, such as https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/98107/vlc-picture-freezes-on-fedora-25/

It will be even more cool and good when they're able to support that stuff better and bring it out of rpmfusion.

I have fed 25 and vlc works fine

Just don't play any weird animes and you'll be GOLDEN

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Just don't play any weird animes and you'll be GOLDEN

good life advice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

every linux video player has done hardware acceleration since the 1990s, using Xv. naturally wayland breaks the poo poo out of Xv, because wayland is not an X11 server.

Sapozhnik posted:

lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ffmpeg, and by extension every video player built on it (basically everything except quicktime and wmp), supports just about every hardware acceleration api on every platform

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

every linux video player has done hardware acceleration since the 1990s, using Xv. naturally wayland breaks the poo poo out of Xv, because wayland is not an X11 server.

Codec acceleration is at least as important as YUV presentation.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

optimus card is acting odd, i can start up using the intel graphics card and booting a game or something that uses more resources will engage the nvidia card but after they close out it'll stay on instead of switching back to the intel graphics

still need to figure out power management on this too, in windows lenovo had a power management driver and i could get 6-8 hours out of my battery, now i'm lucky to get 3 so i know my power management stuff is screwed up

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Apocadall posted:

optimus card is acting odd, i can start up using the intel graphics card and booting a game or something that uses more resources will engage the nvidia card but after they close out it'll stay on instead of switching back to the intel graphics

still need to figure out power management on this too, in windows lenovo had a power management driver and i could get 6-8 hours out of my battery, now i'm lucky to get 3 so i know my power management stuff is screwed up

are you on win10? cause i think explorer can keep the nvidia chip busy.

e: oh wait i forgot which thread this was 😬

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

Codec acceleration is at least as important as YUV presentation.

codec acceleration is a hot mess with few/no standards and licensing minefields

nvidia vdpau is very well-supported across the board, and once you get out of that safe space, it's a shitshow

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Apocadall posted:

at least under X11, the "switching" on linux doesn't actually switch any outputs. the intel chipset always controls the graphics outputs. on-demand, the nvidia chip can be powered on, renders to an off-screen buffer, and the intel chip displays the buffer

this has a modest performance overhead but it makes everything a lot simpler for X11

Apocadall posted:

re: power management, it sounds like your nvidia chip is being powered on continuously. that's about the only fuckup that could kill battery life that badly

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
outputs are hardwired to the intel gpu in all but the very earliest hybrid graphics laptops. the discrete gpu renders into shared video memory which is then scanned out by the intel gpu. this is how it is supposed to work.

i hope you've learned your lesson and don't buy a hybrid graphics laptop ever again though because why do you even need any of that nonsense. a discrete gpu that can fit into a laptop's thermal profile is still going to sukkkkkk

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

outputs are hardwired to the intel gpu in all but the very earliest hybrid graphics laptops. the discrete gpu renders into shared video memory which is then scanned out by the intel gpu. this is how it is supposed to work.

i hope you've learned your lesson and don't buy a hybrid graphics laptop ever again though because why do you even need any of that nonsense. a discrete gpu that can fit into a laptop's thermal profile is still going to sukkkkkk

sucks a lot less than an intel one though

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

lenovo's workstation line is unavailable without optimus and a quadro lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

apple laptops still have a funky "gmux" device to physically transfer outputs between GPUs

fortunately under linux you don't need to bother -- just use the intel device for all output as you would on a non-hosed laptop

Sapozhnik posted:

laptop gpus are pretty fast for ten seconds, until they overheat

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at least under X11, the "switching" on linux doesn't actually switch any outputs. the intel chipset always controls the graphics outputs. on-demand, the nvidia chip can be powered on, renders to an off-screen buffer, and the intel chip displays the buffer

this has a modest performance overhead but it makes everything a lot simpler for X11

re: power management, it sounds like your nvidia chip is being powered on continuously. that's about the only fuckup that could kill battery life that badly

yeah I think the nvidia chip is on continuously, if i go into my bios and set it to only use the intel i get good battery life and my temps go down a lot too. idle on optimus or nvidia i'm around 55c

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I thought I'd try a Ubuntu 17.04 beta LiveCD tonight on my Windows laptop (some manner of Asus ZenBook with a high DPI screen) just to see how the hardware support was looking.

Booted well enough, but the network experience was a little lackluster compared to all previous experience with these LiveCDs, going back to 2004 or so. It seems Ubuntu is using systemd-resolved and systemd-timesyncd these days (since 2016.10?) and have failed to provide any manner of fallback for what I think is one of the most likely non-developer use cases:

1) I said this was a Windows system. Windows stores local time to the hwclock, not UTC.
2) The LiveCD sets system time from the hwclock, assuming UTC.
3) systemd-resolved is set to perform DNSSEC validation.
4) Every page you access in a browser that provides DNSSEC info (that's a fair chunk of the web, these days) fails to load due to DNSSEC failures.
5) Every fairly official NTP server it (or you) might try to access definitely does provide DNSSEC validated answers and thus doesn't resolve, failing to update the clock.
6) If you change /etc/resolve.conf to route around this local resolution failure, too bad, systemd-timesyncd still seems to use systemd-resolved (unconfirmed, maybe it just didn't​ try to update while I had done that and was trying to figure out what I could run on Ubuntu without ntpdate present to do the update)

So, really, to fix this problem, you must realize (without Google) that it's all broken because your time zone defaulted to UTC and that your "correct" clock is wrong and lower yourself to manually fixing the time to some inaccurate "close enough" value. Good luck with that, anyone who doesn't already know all about DNSSEC.

(A hardcoded fallback IP for the default NTP server would be sensible, but no..... Or perhaps they could fallback on setting the clock the way I think Chromebooks do, by trusting the time on a https server that matches a given hardcoded certificate)

Anyway, I assume 16.10 shipped this way, too, but I sure didn't get any hits during a couple minutes of looking for other people who encountered the same problem - possibly my terminology since I actually understand what happened.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

James Baud posted:

So I thought I'd try a Ubuntu 17.04 beta LiveCD tonight on my Windows laptop (some manner of Asus ZenBook with a high DPI screen) just to see how the hardware support was looking.

Booted well enough, but the network experience was a little lackluster compared to all previous experience with these LiveCDs, going back to 2004 or so. It seems Ubuntu is using systemd-resolved and systemd-timesyncd these days (since 2016.10?) and have failed to provide any manner of fallback for what I think is one of the most likely non-developer use cases:

1) I said this was a Windows system. Windows stores local time to the hwclock, not UTC.
2) The LiveCD sets system time from the hwclock, assuming UTC.
3) systemd-resolved is set to perform DNSSEC validation.
4) Every page you access in a browser that provides DNSSEC info (that's a fair chunk of the web, these days) fails to load due to DNSSEC failures.
5) Every fairly official NTP server it (or you) might try to access definitely does provide DNSSEC validated answers and thus doesn't resolve, failing to update the clock.
6) If you change /etc/resolve.conf to route around this local resolution failure, too bad, systemd-timesyncd still seems to use systemd-resolved (unconfirmed, maybe it just didn't​ try to update while I had done that and was trying to figure out what I could run on Ubuntu without ntpdate present to do the update)

So, really, to fix this problem, you must realize (without Google) that it's all broken because your time zone defaulted to UTC and that your "correct" clock is wrong and lower yourself to manually fixing the time to some inaccurate "close enough" value. Good luck with that, anyone who doesn't already know all about DNSSEC.

(A hardcoded fallback IP for the default NTP server would be sensible, but no..... Or perhaps they could fallback on setting the clock the way I think Chromebooks do, by trusting the time on a https server that matches a given hardcoded certificate)

Anyway, I assume 16.10 shipped this way, too, but I sure didn't get any hits during a couple minutes of looking for other people who encountered the same problem - possibly my terminology since I actually understand what happened.

linux for human beings

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

sudo timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tankakern posted:

carry on then posted:

linux for human beings

lmao

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

James Baud posted:

So I thought I'd try a Ubuntu

u hosed up

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001
fix windows legacy dos poo poo instead of breaking things that store time correctly

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

code:

fix windows legacy dos poo poo instead of breaking things that store time correctly

:yeah:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The_Franz posted:

code:

hm, didn't know this! cool

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tankakern posted:

This doesn't actually set the clock though, you still need to manually change it (and/or remember the command to set the time from the hwclock).

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

fixed my power consumption issues, it wasn't the nvidia chip, it was the processor not throttling. i didn't have kernel-tools installed or cpupower setup, now my power consumption is to a much more reasonable level, from 28W down to 11W

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Run powertop and make sure the on-die SATA controller and various other on-die PCIe peripherals have power management enabled. SATA is the big one though: if the SATA controller doesn't power down the SATA links then the controller itself cannot go into a low-power state, which inhibits power saving for the entire SoC.

The reason that this isn't the default is because the current Linux power management code does not do precisely the exact same thing that Windows does in every single situation and Windows is the only thing that hardware manufacturers ever test.

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

Run powertop and make sure the on-die SATA controller and various other on-die PCIe peripherals have power management enabled. SATA is the big one though: if the SATA controller doesn't power down the SATA links then the controller itself cannot go into a low-power state, which inhibits power saving for the entire SoC.

The reason that this isn't the default is because the current Linux power management code does not do precisely the exact same thing that Windows does in every single situation and Windows is the only thing that hardware manufacturers ever test.

Spending a disproportionally large percentage of time to test a configuration that a vanishingly small number of people ever actually use, is not super high on their priority list. Especially when, for idioticlogical reasons that configuration does not have a consistent ABI and is fragmented with a million special snowflake distros.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

what. any sane dnssec capable client will only fail a result if the chain is actually broken (if you have a DS at one level but records at the level below aren't signed correctly). chains that don't sign all the way down are fine.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

it's a shame that it still is like this... although if you get a laptop with an NVMe disk instead, it steps around this issue. powersaving on those is comparable to windows.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/3/31/641

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wow this is stupid

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Jesus Nvidia, get your poo poo together already.

Fedora updated to kernel 4.10.6 which promptly broke the Nvidia driver.

4.10 has been out since February 26th, and Nvidia STILL has yet to update the driver to work with it. I found a patch, but seriously, I am starting to understand why Torvalds hates Nvidia.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, loving nvidia, clearly the party to blame in not keeping a driver up to date on a platform where the kernel development team has decided that defining an abi to write the driver against is something that can be successfully replaced by a process wherein the developer instead spends his time smearing his poo poo over the walls and complaining

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
and yet, nvidia is worse

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, loving nvidia, clearly the party to blame in not keeping a driver up to date on a platform where the kernel development team has decided that defining an abi to write the driver against is something that can be successfully replaced by a process wherein the developer instead spends his time smearing his poo poo over the walls and complaining

*is a leech on a collaborative project, doesn't play by the rules, whines that other people should accommodate them*

anyway why not just use the world's most advanced operating system?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Jesus Nvidia, get your poo poo together already.

Fedora updated to kernel 4.10.6 which promptly broke the Nvidia driver.

4.10 has been out since February 26th, and Nvidia STILL has yet to update the driver to work with it. I found a patch, but seriously, I am starting to understand why Torvalds hates Nvidia.

hmm yes why has NVidia decided not to spend time or resources on a new fork of its drivers for yet another Linux api change??? They're missing out on loads of income from the Linux enthusiast market! Surely the people too poor to afford windows will make this worth their time!

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
why would you even need a dedicated gpu for linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

codec acceleration is a hot mess with few/no standards and licensing minefields

nvidia vdpau is very well-supported across the board, and once you get out of that safe space, it's a shitshow

actually, intel quicksync video is standardized in all good computers