Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I am excited for a Dragon Quarter LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The only thing I can say is maybe polsy that youtube link. The suggested videos were just more Dragon Quarter OST and a couple other OSTs, but there's always the risk of something else coming up.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh dear, the PAL version. The one with no suspend saves.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh dear, the PAL version. The one with no suspend saves.

It tries to make up for it by giving you nine save tokens instead of just one. Still won't help if there isn't a save point nearby.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Hey guys, I recently started doing youtube LP videos and then just found out that SA was where the genre was born. Being a goon from way back I want to try out a LP here, but I'm posting first to make sure I don't step on any toes. I'll start a new playthrough and test-post my OP here first. I plan on consulting the thread to make some in-game decisions (as best as I can if I have enough lead-time to make the decision in between videos). Are there any other pitfalls I need to avoid?

Also, I need to pick a game. I'm thinking Stardew Valley, This is The Police, or maybe Epic Manager. Any thoughts?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It sounds like your head's in the right place. Off the top of my head, the Big Sins of SA VLPs are facecams, reading dialog out loud, and pointlessly filling dead air (like, if you have something useful to say that's fine, but don't just talk for the sake of talking).

If you can, get a co-commentator -- easiest is if you record gameplay sans commentary, and then do post-commentary with someone via Skype or similar. Having someone to chat with goes a long way towards helping people provide interesting commentary.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There are also tons of tiny things:

- Don't have intros to your videos, or if you do, make them not loud and shorter than 5 seconds.
- Do not ask for likes or subscribes.
- Pace your updates and don't make the videos too long or too short.
- And probably other things I'm forgetting.

It's best to just, well, lurk more. Just go check out some running LPs and see what works for them. And yeah, just make a test post here and we can give more advice based on that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also don't get discouraged if you don't get many replies, it seems to depend partially on how well known the game is and how well known you are. The games I do tend to speak for themselves so I don't get many replies, but I still am able to see the views on both the thread and the videos themselves and know that people are still watching and enjoying it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So how are you going to handle the SOL cutscenes, Scin?

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Well, I guess I'm halfway there.

Carbon dioxide posted:

There are also tons of tiny things:

- Don't have intros to your videos, or if you do, make them not loud and shorter than 5 seconds.
- Do not ask for likes or subscribes.
- Pace your updates and don't make the videos too long or too short.
- And probably other things I'm forgetting.

It's best to just, well, lurk more. Just go check out some running LPs and see what works for them. And yeah, just make a test post here and we can give more advice based on that.
*I do use an intro, but it's just a three-second splash screen with a sound effect. I manually normalize all my audio so I don't have any big volume spikes with the intro/outro.
*I don't use a facecam or beg for likes/subscribes.
*I've been slamming out videos on YT to build a bit of a back-catalogue, but I was intending to take the SA one slowly to let the thread keep up. I usually do 25-30 minute videos, is that alright? If people want bigger chunks I can just upload two at a time or something.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It sounds like your head's in the right place. Off the top of my head, the Big Sins of SA VLPs are facecams, reading dialog out loud, and pointlessly filling dead air (like, if you have something useful to say that's fine, but don't just talk for the sake of talking).

If you can, get a co-commentator -- easiest is if you record gameplay sans commentary, and then do post-commentary with someone via Skype or similar. Having someone to chat with goes a long way towards helping people provide interesting commentary.

I want to avoid the co-commentator thing because I want to be able to do everything on my own. I've already learned how to capture/edit/upload, I don't want to have to rely on scheduling with a co-commentator. I also think it'd be very unnatural for me to do another pass and try to MS3K my reactions after the fact.

On the dead-air thing, I've been actively trying to not have dead-air while not being annoying (overreacting/singing/etc). I'm trying to emulate what I liked about the videos that inspired me to start doing this stuff in the first place (yogscast mostly). When you say "reading dialog out loud" are you talking about reading text boxes (I do this), or actually talking over the VO (I never do this)? Are you saying that the SA style is just a lot less commentary so that people can watch the game unmolested, or are these guidelines more about just avoiding being a cringey nerd?

I'd just post one of my other videos to see where you think I fall on these points, but I don't want to shill, maybe I'll just do the first video and mock up the OP in here and you guys can just tell me if I suck. If anyone really wants to look, my youtube and SA names are the same.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also don't get discouraged if you don't get many replies, it seems to depend partially on how well known the game is and how well known you are. The games I do tend to speak for themselves so I don't get many replies, but I still am able to see the views on both the thread and the videos themselves and know that people are still watching and enjoying it.
Thanks for the help and encouragement. I'm obviously not known at all, any ideas about which of the games I listed might work best as far as interest goes?

Stardew Valley is an SNES styled farming/collecting game which is apparently a better/newer version of Harvest Moon
This is The Police is a stylish police management sim with a dark jilted tone
Epic Manager is a weird hybrid between old turn-based RPGs and football manager games

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The one with the biggest following there would probably be Stardew.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pursus posted:

I usually do 25-30 minute videos, is that alright? If people want bigger chunks I can just upload two at a time or something.

20-30 minutes seems like a good run time. Any shorter and they don't often catch my interest, any longer and I probably don't want to finish unless it's top-tier.

quote:

When you say "reading dialog out loud" are you talking about reading text boxes (I do this), or actually talking over the VO (I never do this)? Are you saying that the SA style is just a lot less commentary so that people can watch the game unmolested, or are these guidelines more about just avoiding being a cringey nerd?

Most people frown on reading dialogue boxes. Some groups get away with it, some don't. Filling dead air would be going to dick jokes or what you ate for lunch as soon as you don't have anything else to say about the game at the moment. If you can sperg out and non-stop talk about the game, go ahead. If not, let the commentary chill for a bit.

quote:

I'd just post one of my other videos to see where you think I fall on these points, but I don't want to shill, maybe I'll just do the first video and mock up the OP in here and you guys can just tell me if I suck. If anyone really wants to look, my youtube and SA names are the same.

Post an old video, post a new mockup, get feedback. That's what the thread is for.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Grapplejack posted:

So how are you going to handle the SOL cutscenes, Scin?

Postgame / second playthrough, most likely. There's a whole bunch of stuff I intend to cover after the game itself is done, and those scenes are one of them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pursus posted:

Well, I guess I'm halfway there.

*I do use an intro, but it's just a three-second splash screen with a sound effect. I manually normalize all my audio so I don't have any big volume spikes with the intro/outro.
*I don't use a facecam or beg for likes/subscribes.
*I've been slamming out videos on YT to build a bit of a back-catalogue, but I was intending to take the SA one slowly to let the thread keep up. I usually do 25-30 minute videos, is that alright? If people want bigger chunks I can just upload two at a time or something.
Sounds good. 25-30 minutes is perfect, I suggest updating no more than once or twice a week, but that's up to you.

quote:

When you say "reading dialog out loud" are you talking about reading text boxes (I do this)
Don't do this.

quote:

:justpost:, if it's just a test video it won't seem like a shill.

quote:

I'm obviously not known at all, any ideas about which of the games I listed might work best as far as interest goes?

Don't do this. The first post of this thread says:

quote:

: How can I ask if anyone is wanting to see me LPing this game? What is an interest check?

: There's no point in posting an interest check without something to show for it. An interest check is just asking whether people want to see an LP without actually putting forth some significant sample content (more than just an OP).

For the most part, people won't really care if you LP the game or not, and it's very difficult to judge whether an LP would be interesting or not without seeing an actual update of it. If you want to know if people are interested, make a test post - don't just post "Would anyone like to see an LP of this game?". This applies no matter how much you have to decide before starting, or if you're unsure about how to LP the game. If you're not ready to put in the effort to make an LP without knowing how many people are going to be interested then you probably aren't ready to post an LP anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pursus posted:

When you say "reading dialog out loud" are you talking about reading text boxes (I do this), or actually talking over the VO (I never do this)?

When games have voiced cutscenes, the "SA Thing" to do is usually to provide two versions of the video, one with the LPers talking over the cutscenes ("uncut"), and one where the LPer audio cuts out so you can watch the cutscene normally. Though I'd definitely understand if you didn't want to go to that much effort, and it's more important when you have a group commentator setup where they're often in mid-conversation when a cutscene starts up.

Reading dialog boxes is a big no-no though. Your audience can already read. If you want people to know what the dialog is, just make sure the dialog box is onscreen long enough for your audience to read it. You can continue to talk during this time; if anyone has trouble they can always pause the video, rewind, etc. If the dialog isn't interesting enough to warrant this (and to be honest most videogame dialog is pretty dull) then you can just say "and this guy here wants us to go do blah" -- sum up the dialog without reading it, so you can move on to something more interesting.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Awesome, will do. I'll do a little more research on the development/backstory of Stardew Valley and mock up an OP with a link to one of my other videos so you guys can give me feedback on that end of it. If everything's a go I'll start the thread proper in a few days when I'm done with my current series.

There might be dialog reading in whichever video I end up linking, but I won't do it in Stardew. Maybe I'll do the "this guy just wants us to blah blah" thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The dialogue reading thing is one of those YouTube LP habits that just kinda fascinates me. I don't get it at all.

Pretty much all of the veritable pantheon of Things SA LP Does Not Like have basic YouTube Pragmatism at their core. Facecams are there to get people to relate to the LPer and to capitalize on the ~genuine reactions~ mindset, and we don't like that because showing people games first and foremost just kinda crystalised as one of our most ingrained ideals. Begging for likes is straight up engagement manipulation, you do it to Get Your Numbers Up, which is just... yeah. Shrieking reactions are playing to a demographic. So on and so on. Even stuff like the dead-air thing is just a rational panic response to what is perceived by the person playing as an awkward silence; it's actually kinda astonishingly difficult to imagine what a videogame sounds like when being watched being played when you're the one playing.

But I digress. The reading thing.

I do not know and will probably never understand why anyone did, does or ever will feel compelled to read out text that is on the screen. If they think it's any kind of substitute for voice acting they are probably delusional, and I say "probably" only to allow for the edge case of a group of actual voice actors going to lengths to professionally produce a dub, which is not a thing that I think has happened any meaningful number of times, and definitely not as part of a Let's Play. The result is invariably dire; it sounds first and foremost like they are reading lines from a script (because they literally are), character differences are either absent or utterly inconsistent, and the LPer always ends up tripping over themselves in an attempt to keep up with their own reading speed, and they always, always, always try to do it live for some reason. Do viewers like it? I can imagine a mindset from which some of these other things that we don't like would have an appeal, even if it's something as crude as "I'm some dumb kid and I don't know any better", but voice acting and line reading just seems like it shouldn't not bug absolutely anybody when it's done really really badly.

Guys. What is with the reading?

Hardmode: has there been an LP in which this gambit has actually paid off?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

I remember being mildly amused by the Freelance Astronauts doing extremely bad voice acting for one of the NES Ninja Gaiden games. But it's the kind of thing that was only funny once, and even then it got pretty tiresome by the halfway point.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Tipping 40s 'voice acted' the skits in Tales of Symphonia, and it got funnier the less they actually paid attention to what they were supposed to be saying :allears:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I don't have a specific example, but I've seen LPs with reading lines only if it shows up for too short a time to read it or it's texture/font choice is really hard to read. Guess that isn't really what you're talking about though is it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This might be an edge case, but I'm told that Kyle McCarley and Kira Buckland's livestream playthrough of NieR Automata has them voice act several unvoiced NPCs live. Those two are the voice actors of two of the central characters of the game, 9S and 2B, so I'd probably give them a pass on reading lines, though I haven't watched them play since I'm playing it too. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I assume reading the dialogue text is yet another "filler" for dead air.

In addition to someone who can actually pull off voice acting text dialogue (not necessarily professional-quality, but be drat sure you can pull it off), I'd say another acceptable reason to read the text out loud is if your audience wouldn't understand the text. I watch streams from Clyde Mandelin (the guy who did the Mother 3 patch) and he frequently either live-translates Japanese games or does translation comparisons between English and Japanese scripts, which means a lot of text-reading for his largely English-speaking audience. There was Funky Fantasy IV (Google-translated FF4) where they read the dialogue, but the script in that one was so messed up that the goofy terrible voice acting made it funnier in a way.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!
Alright, here goes:
<I'll add a screengrab of the title screen up here once I record the footage>

Let's Play Stardew Valley!

What is Stardew Valley?
Stardew Valley is a relatively new and highly-reviewed indie game available on Steam as well as PS4, Xbox One, and soon-to-be available on the Nintendo Switch. For now it's just a single player experience, but the developer is currently working on co-op multiplayer as well. Note that I just said developer. One of the coolest things about this game is that it was developed by just one man (Eric Barone aka ConcernedApe) over the course of four years, including all of the art and music!

Don't dodge the question, what is Stardew Valley?
Basically, it's a reimagining of Harvest Moon. As far as exactly what Harvest Moon was like, you got me, I've never played it. The graphics and sound are firmly SNES level, and I think they fit the game perfectly. ConcernedApe himself said "The gameplay in Harvest Moon was usually fun, but I felt like no title in the series ever brought it all together in a perfect way, my idea with Stardew Valley was to address the problems I had with Harvest Moon, as well as create more 'purpose' with tried-and-true gameplay elements such as crafting and quests."

More purpose? What else is there to do than farm vegetables?
The core gameplay is farming vegetables and livestock to make money while befriending all of the other inhabitants of the valley. The rest of it reads like a WoW expansion list of bullet points: Mining, fishing, cooking, simple combat, daily chores, collecting swag to decorate your body and house, minigames, quests. It might sound boring and grindy, but I have to admit that I have a ridiculous amount of time in this game and it never felt like a chore. The developer did a really solid job putting that next "accomplishment" just far enough out of reach to make you want to reach for it without getting burned out.

OK, hot shot, how are you going to handle LPing such a grindy game then, huh?
Well, I figure I'm going to give a decent taste of what I'm actually doing, then if I need to repetitively grind stuff out for a few in-game days with nothing to say I'll just do it in between videos or do some editing if I need to. This LP is specifically for this thread so just let me know how you guys prefer it once we get started.

Thread participation?
Yes please! There's only a few heavy decisions to make, but as the game goes on we do have a few choices that I'll address in the videos. We can also do some minor fun stuff like naming livestock and whatnot. As of now, the plan is to do something like one or two half-hour videos per week. That should give the thread plenty of time to keep up. I don't need to pre-record a game like this in chunks so I'm striving for maximum thread interaction wherever possible.

Spoilers?
There's not too much in the way of plot to spoil, but please err on the side of tagging things if they happen to be something we haven't gotten to yet, such as the villager cutscenes we get as we befriend them. I've played through the whole game so I won't be spoiled, but try to be considerate to the other posters.

<Down here, I'll have the video links like this, and also links to the thread position when the update is made. I'll also put a link to the thread in the video descriptions. This link contains spoilers for Telltale's The Wolf Among Us, so don't click if you care. I would have linked part one but I improved my mic situation during the playthrough. This game doesn't have too much dialog-reading, which is why I chose it to show you guys. I'll be actively avoiding reading the dialog in the Stardew playthrough>
The Wolf Among Us #15 - Jersey:::Thread

Pursus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 27, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

people who multi-task like it when lines are read out loud because it lets them sort-of follow the lp without devoting their full attention to it

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

RE: Reading text

From what I've been told on other forums, there are people who enjoy being read to. Biggest reason I've heard is, "...because I'm not actually watching the video and just listening while I work on stuff." Which I don't really like to hear because I like to put more effort in the visual aspect of lping than the audio end of things.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Let's also not forget the people who have trouble reading text - the usual "as long as it takes me, a person proficient at reading, to read the line twice" may not be long enough for many would-be viewers, and the usual suggestion of "pause if it takes you longer to read" works fine if there's only a screen or two of text every so often, but dialogue-heavy videos would be a real pain to watch that way - which will have most of those viewers turning to a video where the text is read to them. There are numerous stories online of people who learned English from games like King's Quest III, just to name an example of a game I've heard in that context. LPs could work the same way. While it would be significantly more work, I've been thinking about the possibility of doing a dual-audio LP, posting a full-reading version alongside one that cuts out the reading and just has commentary, to make my LPs more accessible.

As for cases where it's worked, there are LPers on Youtube who manage to produce some very diverse, character-appropriate voices. Unfortunately, they also play most of the games blind, so they don't have an idea what the characters should sound like and end up either changing the voices as they go or spending a lot of video time asking the audience what voices they should use. Audience engagement thumbs-up, I guess. I watch a lot of blind Undertale LPs, so I've heard just about everything.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Fedule posted:

Guys. What is with the reading?

People seem to really like the 25 Years of Final Fantasy thread, I looked in on it when they started doing 7 and turned it straight back off again as soon as they started reading all the dialogue. I imagine they did it for the previous games too. It's awful but other people seem into it :shobon:

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 28, 2017

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Nidoking posted:

I watch a lot of blind Undertale LPs, so I've heard just about everything.

:same:

There are varying degrees of success and failure when it comes to reading text. Overall, I prefer no text being read, but at the same time, it's not a deal breaker for me unless it is really badly done.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
We do a lot of text-reading on our channel, BUT it's never "narrative" reading. It's always pretty quick (so that audio-only folks can follow along if need be, and video-watching folks don't have to sit there forever), plus I find that whenever we talk over important dialogue, we inevitably miss important poo poo then get yelled at for it (and rightfully so). Plus, come on, some games are atrociously localized, and it gives you a great in for mocking a translation job done poorly.

Important thing is that both you the player and they the audience get the gist of the dialogue, and any critical information from it is understood.

Anywho, already got a couple threads for unrelated stuff where comments related to the metaseries this is a part of creep in, and this is a decent enough place to start fresh with -- I'mma give it a swing, and if it's poo poo and people hate it, down goes the thread like Inafune's bank account.

- - -

Hey, I know Mega Man and I know Zero, what the hell is this?

The Mega Man Zero series is a collection of four Game Boy Advance games released between 2002 and 2005 that take place over a hundred years after the more popular X series on the SNES and PlayStation. In the century since Sigma's defeat and the end of the Maverick Wars, the world has changed, and a much more violent four-year war reduced the human and Reploid populations to next to nothing. What remained of civilization relocated to the last safe haven on earth, the megacity Neo Arcadia, where its residents were protected from outside threats. But in this series, it's not the outside they should be afraid of...

Moving from console to handheld was a tricky move, and resulted in the loss of two face buttons that were very actively being used by both the SNES and PS1, so some of the button combinations get a little... funky. But Zero has to manually equip different base weapons, and doesn't necessarily win new ones from boss fights, so the issue isn't as severe as it might seem at first. Awkward to get used to, though.

Oh, also Zero looks different because they got a new artist. I like it. The X series was making them look fat.

So what's the deal with this run?

This set of four is actually the 38th, 39th, 42nd, and 44th games in an ongoing series called The Mega Let's Play which, outside of this explanation will mostly not be relevant to the playthrough. Long story short, we've been playing every Mega Man game in release order since the start of 2015, and we've arrived at the first series in the franchise with an actual ending. No special rules, no explicit goals (other than like... you know, win), and no idea how long it'll take or what new poo poo we'll uncover.

Which version of the Zero series will you be playing?

We will be playing the original Game Boy Advance games (as opposed to Mega Man Zero Collection on the Nintendo DS) by way of the fantastic RetroN 5. Collection doesn't really offer us anything useful in terms of the Let's Plays, and recording GBA footage from the RetroN 5 is fuckjillions higher quality than recording DS footage from our modded 3DS.

Are you playing these games one after the other?

No, not all of them. Since we're in the middle of playing a shitload of Mega Man games in release order, Mega Man Zero and Zero 2 will come one after the other, but Zero 3 and Zero 4 will come after one or more non-Zero games, which won't be included in this thread.

Odds are I'm inevitably going to be stuck rescuing John, Ben, Lindsay, and the rest of our team from this, so here we go:

MEGA MAN ZERO:

- - -

Plan is uploads five days a week (moreso right now, since we need to make up lost ground for delays from a much much larger project shortly before), with new videos added and subsequently posted here ~2pm EDT every weekday.

ricdesi fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 28, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to do a sort of Freeman's Mind-style subtitled LP of Super Metroid: Eris for the Romhackeria thread. I put together this short video. I'll be heading to the tech support fort for help with video quality and an audio desync issue, but for this thread, how's the subtitle length? I've been using 4s by default with 2s for one- or two-word reactions. Also, does the general concept seem watchable?

EDIT: or maybe I'll figure out the tech stuff on my own, but in any case, general LP feedback on this is welcome.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 30, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can someone explain to me what Let's Play Zone is?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's a zone with which to do let's plays in, my friend. I would think that was self-evident.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mraagvpeine posted:

After SA did certain things that drove away a lot of posters - including LPers - it seems they've made their own home for SA-style LPs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Short story, there was a Twitter argument between Lowtax and several prominent LPers that resulted in the latter getting banned (and a bunch of others leaving). I think the LP Zone was planned for awhile but this kicked it into gear.

It's been slow to take off but I assume because they're still trying to get established (they just launched their Discord yesterday). I do hope they grow though because it'd be nice to have competition that isn't obnoxious shriekbats to help both communities improve our craft (their recommended hardware/software certainly seems less outdated than ours, for instance).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The LP'zone

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm looking to do a sort of Freeman's Mind-style subtitled LP of Super Metroid: Eris for the Romhackeria thread. I put together this short video. I'll be heading to the tech support fort for help with video quality and an audio desync issue, but for this thread, how's the subtitle length? I've been using 4s by default with 2s for one- or two-word reactions. Also, does the general concept seem watchable?

EDIT: or maybe I'll figure out the tech stuff on my own, but in any case, general LP feedback on this is welcome.

I'm gonna guess that the lack of response to this indicates that, aside from the obvious video quality issues, there's nothing obviously wrong. Thanks guys, your [lack of] feedback is invaluable as always. :v:

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Dude, nice test run! I dig the idea behind this, and the creepy vibe the hack is giving off makes the internal dialogue feel more relevant than if it was just a normal Metroid game.

Not noticing any real video quality or audio lag issues, it seems like everything was perfectly serviceable. Looks like it'll be a cool run!

My only suggestion might be a quick "Please turn on Subtitles" at the start of the video to let people know, since mine were turned off initially and I wasn't sure if it was meant to be a strictly commentary-free run.

Nothing much else to say, looking forward to checking it out, god speed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, and yes, that's a good point re: baking in a hard subtitle to remind people to turn on annotations. One more thing for me to figure out how to do; I'm not used to doing VLPs!

Once I sort out tech issues and finish subtitling the first episode, it'll go live in the Romhackeria thread. I'll probably announce it in the New LPs thread as well.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Short story, there was a Twitter argument between Lowtax and several prominent LPers that resulted in the latter getting banned (and a bunch of others leaving). I think the LP Zone was planned for awhile but this kicked it into gear.
Who exactly was banned/left? Also, can I have a link to the twitter drama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Pierzak posted:

Who exactly was banned/left?

Curious about this myself. Not concerned about the twitter drama but a very brief summary would be welcome.