Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was digging into my GX85 jpeg issue, and it seems that removing the AA filter has caused some detrimental fuckery with the jpegs as compared to the GX7, and the only solution so far is to just shoot raw. That kind of sucks. But in the mean time, holy crap there was a firmware update I haven't got that adds focus stacking to the post focus function, which would be huge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Ryand-Smith posted:

Anyone know any good telephoto lenses for Sony (100mm and greater?)

70-200/2.8 GM, 100/2.8 GM

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
For anyone with an X-T2 shooting RAW, someone released a beta Lightroom plugin that will apply the in-camera simulation via the Library based on the Exif camera data. Thought it might be useful for some of you: http://lightroomsolutions.com/plugin-preview-jb-x-lr/

It's limited to 5 photos at a time and expires in a month. It's definitely not something I'd personally pay for, and the limitations for a beta are kind of obnoxious (you can email him to have the limit removed).

ianskate fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 27, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah the only reason he's done that is to see if he can successfully unlock them remotely once he starts selling them.

Making a plugin that does something already built into lightroom doesn't even seem that hard to do.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 28, 2017

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

underage at the vape shop posted:

Yeah the only reason he's done that is to see if he can successfully unlock them once he starts selling them.

Making a plugin that does something already built into lightroom doesn't even seem that hard to do.

Hopefully Adobe will eventually implement that functionality, it seems pretty basic and part of other camera workflows anyway...

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I might have a go at making something like that in mid semester break

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 28, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The dude charges 35 bucks ish AU for a little app thats basically words find and replace tool for your metadata. The example use case, he has a bunch of photos of some poles and uses the tool to change "landing poles" to "Landing Poles". That's ridiculous. It's his work and he deserves to be paid for what does appear to be a professional looking app, but drat dude. His other stuff appears to be more fairly priced but still expensive for what they are.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ryand-Smith posted:

Anyone know any good telephoto lenses for Sony (100mm and greater?)
Their 500mm F4?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Their 500mm F4?

Wait is that a thing?

*googles*

...oh holy hell look at that :stare:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Ditching my Nikon gear and going back to Fuji. Stuff is breaking my back while hiking and backpacking and I am tired of it. Fuji discounted the X-T1 and X-T10 this week so I picked up the X-T10 and 18-55. Last time I bought used on the X-T1 I got screwed (my fault somewhat) and the pricing for used is only $70 cheaper.

Can't wait to "haul" this around with me everywhere.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

DJExile posted:

Wait is that a thing?

*googles*

...oh holy hell look at that :stare:
It'd be interesting to know how many they've sold, given I suspect the sort of people who are looking to buy a 500mm F4 are the sort of people most affected by mirrorless' shortcomings (nature and sports photographers).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
OK so checking on the X-T20 on ebay .. did I make a dumb choice with the X-T10 and XF 18-55 for $899?

Now questioning my decision a lot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

OK so checking on the X-T20 on ebay .. did I make a dumb choice with the X-T10 and XF 18-55 for $899?

Now questioning my decision a lot.
That depends on what X-T20s go for on eBay.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That depends on what X-T20s go for on eBay.

Best Buy is selling the X-T20 with the lesser XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS II lens for $999. I'm thinking I should probably return this X-T10 and get the X-T20, part with the lens and pick up the XF 18-55.

Yeah, X-T20 is a better deal considering my perks with BestBuy .. However I cannot buy the stupid thing because their website blows and just randomly scrolls up when I press the purchase button. Does it on the app too.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 29, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Best Buy is selling the X-T20 with the lesser XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS II lens for $999. I'm thinking I should probably return this X-T10 and get the X-T20, part with the lens and pick up the XF 18-55.

Yeah, X-T20 is a better deal considering my perks with BestBuy .. However I cannot buy the stupid thing because their website blows and just randomly scrolls up when I press the purchase button. Does it on the app too.

Adorama has the bundles in same price. You can get some Adorama bucks and save on the tax. Just buy the 18-55 bundle directly.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

Their 500mm F4?

Pablo Bluth posted:

It'd be interesting to know how many they've sold, given I suspect the sort of people who are looking to buy a 500mm F4 are the sort of people most affected by mirrorless' shortcomings (nature and sports photographers).

Wait... Isn't that for A-mount? That's their DSLR/Pellicle reflex camera line. Not mirrorless. All I can find about an e-mount 500 are rumors.

But in searching, I discovered that there's also a Sony A-mount 500mm catadioptric lens with optical IS. Crazy.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
wow yeah, i'd love an e-mount 500mm mirror lens.
The m43 3rd party one was cool even if it was extremely hard to focus and had terrible image quality other than dead center

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that mirror reflex one?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

But in searching, I discovered that there's also a Sony A-mount 500mm catadioptric lens with optical IS. Crazy.

mmm... donuts

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Finally hopped on the mirrorless train by way of ordering an X100F :toot:

I was initially holding out for an x-t2 but unexpectedly having to buy a new phone out of contract cut into my budget, and then when I did actual research on the X100F it seems to fit pretty well into what I wanted to do anyway as long as I pick up the teleconverter eventually, and having a leaf shutter on a tiny run and gun camera is going to be fun.

Speaking of - ignore for a moment the hilarity of having an actual speedlite on an X100. I have several manual Yongnuo flashes, but they all were made for Canon. Will they still fire off the fuji hotshoe pattern, or will I need to buy another flash for use on camera?

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 29, 2017

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

How silly am I being for wanting to pick up a Fuji X-E2S and an XF 35 F2? Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? i know the camera is older now, but I feel like that gives me a little bit of leeway to figure out if I like the set up without sinking more money upfront.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Finally hopped on the mirrorless train by way of ordering an X100F :toot:

I was initially holding out for an x-t2 but unexpectedly having to buy a new phone out of contract cut into my budget, and then when I did actual research on the X100F it seems to fit pretty well into what I wanted to do anyway as long as I pick up the teleconverter eventually, and having a leaf shutter on a tiny run and gun camera is going to be fun.

Speaking of - ignore for a moment the hilarity of having an actual speedlite on an X100. I have several manual Yongnuo flashes, but they all were made for Canon. Will they still fire off the fuji hotshoe pattern, or will I need to buy another flash for use on camera?

Not only do Canon shoe manual flash work on Fuji, TTL remote flash cord works too (you need a Fuji flash on the other end of course.)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Trevor Hale posted:

How silly am I being for wanting to pick up a Fuji X-E2S and an XF 35 F2? Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? i know the camera is older now, but I feel like that gives me a little bit of leeway to figure out if I like the set up without sinking more money upfront.

You can probably get a used X-T1 for less than a new X-E2S

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah don't buy an X-E2s, get an XT-1 or X-E2 used.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

8th-snype posted:

Can I ask why you suggest X-E2? Isn't it essentially the same camera with a couple tweaks? If the prices were the same, why not favor the slight upgrade?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

8th-snype posted:

I'm really shocked at how well the XT-1 is holding value after the release of the XT-2. I thought for sure they would drop to 450-500 used, but are still holding 650-700 from what I have seen. I keep thinking I should dump mine and get the XT-2, but I just can't justify the price of the XT-2 yet.

My vote would be to get a used XT-1, but I'm biased.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Choicecut posted:

I'm really shocked at how well the XT-1 is holding value after the release of the XT-2. I thought for sure they would drop to 450-500 used, but are still holding 650-700 from what I have seen. I keep thinking I should dump mine and get the XT-2, but I just can't justify the price of the XT-2 yet.

My vote would be to get a used XT-1, but I'm biased.

Fuji is doing rebates on the xt-1 right now. You can get a body on amazon for $800.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Trevor Hale posted:

Can I ask why you suggest X-E2? Isn't it essentially the same camera with a couple tweaks? If the prices were the same, why not favor the slight upgrade?

If you can get the same price sure but used X-E2 bodies go for sub $400 all the time online, I haven't seen the S version go quite that low.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trevor Hale posted:

You can find an used XE2 for about 300. The XE2s had a short run, I doubt you can find a copy that cheap.

They are all good. I still use my XE1 and XT1 interchangeably.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

whatever7 posted:

You can find an used XE2 for about 300. The XE2s had a short run, I doubt you can find a copy that cheap.

They are all good. I still use my XE1 and XT1 interchangeably.

That's good to hear. And kind of what I was looking for. I like rangefinder style cameras and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making some weird obvious mistake by getting the XE2s at this point.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The X-T1 is great and you should get that.

The X-T2 is a hell of an upgrade though over the 1 although the 1 is still a great body. I use both side by side and I was planning on selling the 1 but it is still so good that it is a great second body and I decided to keep it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Xpro2 and XT2 new firmware is out

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

rio posted:

The X-T2 is a hell of an upgrade though over the 1

Arrrg! Comments like these...Is there really that much noticable difference? You're going to make me put my xt1 on the auction block.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Choicecut posted:

Arrrg! Comments like these...Is there really that much noticable difference? You're going to make me put my xt1 on the auction block.

Yes there is, the 24mp sensor is real good. Acros film sim is worth it alone.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The x-t2 also has a bevy of great video features over the 1 like 4k, clean 4k output over HDMI with flat-look for external records, and a half -hour record time with the vertical grip.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Finally! Now, who wants to go first? :cheeky:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Done.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My X-T20 arrives today. I've made a lot of changes to my "needs" and whatnot. I have a video project coming up and hoping the X-T20 handles it well. The recording time limit should work just fine, mixing in time lapses with my iPhone and if need be .. possibly picking up a m43 for 4K duty as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

My X-T20 arrives today. I've made a lot of changes to my "needs" and whatnot. I have a video project coming up and hoping the X-T20 handles it well. The recording time limit should work just fine, mixing in time lapses with my iPhone and if need be .. possibly picking up a m43 for 4K duty as well.
Weren't you like 100% out on the hobby like a year ago? Spend your money how you want but I'd take a slower approach to this than you seem to be taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Weren't you like 100% out on the hobby like a year ago? Spend your money how you want but I'd take a slower approach to this than you seem to be taking.

Yup that was me, I've found more focus with what I want to do in general now. The X-T20 and XF 18-55 are going to be my "kit". I don't see any reason I will need a m43 to handle video as I've seen the X-T20 output and it looks very nice. I've parted with all my Nikon gear (well, in process) to reduce my carry weight down and focus on the "just take pictures" part.

I know it sounds like I am everywhere but my kit for the near future is simply the X-T20 and the 18-55. Reduced around $2400 to $1200.

Edit: The getting out of things too was just due to irritation of not getting "good" shots. I've since learned its shoot for yourself and enjoy the whole "process", and from there on I love it. I just want less weight. :)

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 30, 2017