Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

im gonna loving……… go watch the sonic OVA right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU62iUc2jog

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 26, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It's really quiet

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mikedawson posted:

If it means anything, I have heard people complain about Mario's voice going from gruff new yorker to cheerful cartoon italian before.

there are two separate world lines, and in one, capt lou became the official voice of super mario

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Frankston posted:

It's really quiet

You're right. I tried out Youtube's editor and here is a fixed version.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Have you tried Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic 3 the Hedgehog & Knuckles? Might be able to get farther in the games with a glide.

owl milk fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 27, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a.lo posted:

do it!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

a.lo posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

a.lo posted:

StrrrrrrANGE, isn't it?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

a.lo posted:

Thats the good poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://soundcloud.com/mr-kingalocious/for-the-land-of-the-sky?in=mr-kingalocious/sets/sonic-ova-ost-reconstruction

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yessssss

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Spacebump posted:

I think Sonic Mania is going to be the best Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Somebody talk me back to being rational.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the best 2D Sonic game ever and nothing will beat it, sorry. Sonic Mania does look pretty good though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do any old Mario fans still make a big deal about Princess Toadstool becoming Peach? I dunno why Sonic fans still care about Robotic/Eggman when they use both now.
I didn't grow up reading Mario comics and watching Mario cartoons but in general 'Peach' is a much better name and much less of a mouthful than Toadstool and for most players the start of Mario64 was were the name transition happened and it did so naturally, it's easy to swallow 'Princess Toadstool would now prefer to be called by her first name'. Also tbf peach isn't much of a presence in the games, she really only exists as a macguffin to be rescued.

Robotnik on the other hand is a better name IMO, and he appears at the end of every stage to directly antagonize you. I feel like if Nintendo started referring to Bowser as 'King Koopa' exclusively from Mario World onwards there would be a lot of people still salty about it. The 'they use both names' argument doesn't carry much water either, as Eggman is used 99% of the time, even in cases where it wouldn't make any sense.

Basically there wasn't any good reason to drop the localized name and they didn't handle it very well, so many longtime fans still don't like the new name. I've mostly gotten used to Eggman, but I still think of him as Robotnik.

At least it's not as bad as Aeris/Aerith thing where Square Enix went back from the nicely localized name to one that sounds like awkward engrish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

At least it's not as bad as Aeris/Aerith thing where Square Enix went back from the nicely localized name to one that sounds like awkward engrish.

Aerith's name is literally supposed to sound like Earth. It's literally the english word Earth turned into a name and it was missed due to FFVII's translators being bad, not due to an intentional localization change. There's a reason they changed that but you still have Terra and Sabin instead of Tina and Mash.

Regardless, he's been Eggman for about twice as long as he was Robotnik. It's a silly thing to keep clinging to.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Time is not the important factor but rather the shittiness of the games where he was called Eggman. Which is all of them. All the bad games. Return to Robotnik and return to the glorious years of good Sonic games and a good Sega console.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
People tend to cling to the parts of any franchise that were actually good and downplay the stuff that wasn't yes. Nostalgia plays a huge part in any discussion about Sonic, that;s just how it is.

Also FF7's localization was largely bad but I 100% support actual localization over slavish literal translations and I acknowledge it's sometimes better to relocalize something that was handled poorly/ no longer makes sense with new material, but IMO Aeris vs. Aerith is so close that changing it really served no actual purpose. Aeris is Aerith made not to sound awkward and I'd much rather have a name that reads nicely to western eyes than one that that is 'thematically appropriate' as a games themes are expressed in more ways than one character having an on-the-nose pun name.

Basically if you have a franchise with characters beloved by millions don't change their names arbitrarily is all I'm saying, treat your long time fans right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Time is not the important factor but rather the shittiness of the games where he was called Eggman. Which is all of them. All the bad games. Return to Robotnik and return to the glorious years of good Sonic games and a good Sega console.

Mr Phillby posted:

Basically if you have a franchise with characters beloved by millions don't change their names arbitrarily is all I'm saying, treat your long time fans right.

It's very rarely arbitrary. Long-term fans who can't accept the idea that maybe something was badly translated and there's no reason to cling desperately to bad translations basically don't deserve to be 'treated right' because their only argument is "nostalgia is more important to me than anything!"

Localization is good but what you're arguing isn't carefully thought out localization. It's stuff done by underpaid translators a couple decades ago. I don't particularly care which name you use for Dr. Robotnik Julian Kintobor Ivo Eggman The Third but there's no real good reason to still be angry about it over a decade later.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 27, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I didn't hear anybody complaining when Princess Toadstool was finally changed to Princess Peach when Mario 64 dropped.

Anyway I don't care that it's been Eggman since SA1 but I appreciate that the English releases still use Dr. Robotnik as his "real" name and Eggman as his nickname.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's actually Dr. Badvibes, now shut up all of you

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The name of his blimp does not concern history you fiend

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

He was Robotnik in all the good games and Eggman in all the bad games so if you want your game to be good you have to refer to him as Robotnik QED.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

they said good games

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

#1 player at Ohayocon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic ova owns cause it literally outs Robotnik as a pedophile sex slaver. I actually have a kinda funny story about this if anyone cares...............

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The best argument for Eggman over Robotnik is that "Eggman" has a bitching theme song and "Robotnik" doesn't.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The best argument for Eggman over Robotnik is that "Eggman" has a bitching theme song and "Robotnik" doesn't.
Counterpoint.

(also this, keeping with the OVA theme)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

Robotnik has Long John Baldry's entire discography tho

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/846422462589915136

:allears:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Robotnik has Long John Baldry's entire discography tho

Not the same thing to be honest. If he didn't sing as Robotnik it doesn't count.

Paul.Power posted:

Counterpoint.

(also this, keeping with the OVA theme)

I said a bitchin theme song, not the product of the internet's love affair with bizarre editing.

Anyway, given it's the Sonic OVA, I'd argue that's a point for Eggman, regardless of the dub existing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic ova owns cause it literally outs Robotnik as a pedophile sex slaver. I actually have a kinda funny story about this if anyone cares...............

That depends on what side of the story you are on. Your wholesome purity mustn't be tainted!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

OVA owns because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSoZy-Dnhfc

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

As of sonic adventure 2 eggmans last name is canonically robotnik.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That depends on what side of the story you are on. Your wholesome purity mustn't be tainted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uijpNbCkTqo

Story time will have to wait my friends, your best bud grandpa went for a run in the nice warm weather today wearing my sick sky-blue Sonic shirt and got the flu, Pray for me :smith:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

ImpAtom posted:

It's very rarely arbitrary. Long-term fans who can't accept the idea that maybe something was badly translated and there's no reason to cling desperately to bad translations basically don't deserve to be 'treated right' because their only argument is "nostalgia is more important to me than anything!"

Localization is good but what you're arguing isn't carefully thought out localization. It's stuff done by underpaid translators a couple decades ago. I don't particularly care which name you use for Dr. Robotnik Julian Kintobor Ivo Eggman The Third but there's no real good reason to still be angry about it over a decade later.
Obviously disagree, but who said I was angry? I prefer one name because I grew up with it and associate the character with it. I think they made a bad choice when they changed it and still think of the character by the original name because I prefer it and have long associated it with the character.

In Aeris's case it just feels to me like if they brought out new FF6 games and changed Bartz back into Butz.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I like that canonically, Dr. Eggman was a major Tropes vs. Women in Video Games backer. He may want to rule the world as an iron-fisted despot, but at least he's not antifem.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

His grandpas name is gerald robotnik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I like that canonically, Dr. Eggman was a major Tropes vs. Women in Video Games backer. He may want to rule the world as an iron-fisted despot, but at least he's not antifem.

If everyone is a robot, there will be no gender or race inequalities. If you think about it, Sonic is the real villain all along.