Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Bellow must have had money on the stoppage in that one for all he was going on about the corner should be pulling him out. He lost but it wasn't a one sided beat down or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

katie taylor talks like james blunt sings

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Any good podcasts for a casual fan who's looking to learn more and stay up to date with ongoings? Or just your favorite boxing podcasts

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Any good podcasts for a casual fan who's looking to learn more and stay up to date with ongoings? Or just your favorite boxing podcasts

Chris Mannix - https://art19.com/shows/boxing-mannix

Knuckles and Gloves - http://www.blogtalkradio.com/knucklesandgloves

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this ringwalk is a mess

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Tha Boxing Voice

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Crolla getting outclassed here.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

gently caress me that uppercut

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm always impressed that british fans can keep that seven nation army thing going for a whole fight

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Linares v Garcia is a good fight which might actually happen, hooray

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

mike- posted:

Tha Boxing Voice

Thanks guys. I listened to the Knuckles and Gloves and Tha Boxing Voice from after the GGG vs Jacobs fights just because I knew I'd be able to at least have some context on what they were talking about. Really liked the Knuckles and Gloves one. Didn't finish Tha Boxing Voice one but Jesus those guys are insane.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Lemieux is going to be on the Canelo-Chavez undercard. It's pretty obvious where this is going.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2017/3/27/15076644/canelo-vs-chavez-david-lemieux-joseph-diaz-jr-added-to-undercard

The Ninth Layer posted:

I've already heard the rumors that he's next for Canelo. Which if that's the case then just lol. Golden Boy is squandering all the goodwill Canelo built up.

I'm assuming they're operating under the assumption that the GGG-BJS June fight in Astana (Kazahstan) happens and when it does Oscar and company will have the pre-built excuse and opponent when Canelo-Lemieux is signed for September. At least JoJo Diaz is being put in relatively tough

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 27, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've already heard the rumors that he's next for Canelo. Which if that's the case then just lol. Golden Boy is squandering all the goodwill Canelo built up.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The Ring magazine released their all time heavyweight list in the latest issue:

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Jack Johnson
4. Rocky Marciano
5. Larry Holmes
6. Jack Dempsey
7. George Foreman
8. Joe Frazier
9. Mike Tyson
10. Sonny Liston
T11. Lennox Lewis
T11. Evander Holyfield
13. Gene Tunney
14. John L Sullivan
15. Jim Jeffries
16. Wladimir Klitschko
17. Vitali Klitscko
18. James Corbett
19. Riddick Bowe
20. Bob Fitzsimmons

Pretty ridiculous list in my opinion, that pretty much totally starts to fall apart after the top 7. Having Mike Tyson over Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis is indefensible, and having Lewis outside of the top 10, who was the dominant heavyweight of the 1990s (one of the strongest eras in the heavyweigh division) is also totally insane. Liston is way too high, having the dominant Klitschkos barely above flash in the pan Riddick Bowe is nuts, etc etc.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I always struggle to appreciate the inclusion of John L Sullivan; without video it's just so hard to judge his skill. I consider Jack Johnson right at the very first era of who could be counted, and that's also leveraging his ranking in the top 3 of all time (and honestly I think Johnson should probably be above Louis; after all it's not like they put in Gentle Jim Corbett or whatever (Ok so they have Jim Jefferies).

Funniest thing about this list is how small older heavy weights are; as the weight class with no ceiling it's the one that just goes up and up, like how we have to keep changing what an IQ of 100 is.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

after all it's not like they put in Gentle Jim Corbett

They did though

Yeah the idolization of the older heavyweights, especially guys like Sullivan where you have no footage and no real comparable accomplishments either.

I'm one of those guys that sort of buys into "Prime Tyson" and fringe top 10 seems alright, but factoring results in I agree that putting him above Lewis is silly. Holyfield I'm not sold on though.

Liston is tricky to rank, but 10 is inflated.

Archie Moore, Floyd Patterson and Sam Langford are all names that should be considered for this, although two of those guys are obviously pretty small by today's standards.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
No sport is as in love with it's own history as boxing. Would anyone put George Mikan in the top 10 basketball players of all time?

I'd back Lennox Lewis against any heavyweight head to head.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
personally i really buy into 'prime mike'. his ferocity, the way he moved, how hard he hit.... i've never seen a heavyweight like him. lennox was incredible though. and crucify me if you want, but ali is top 5 as a fighter. as a man, as a person, that's something different, but as a fighter, there's a few i'd rank above him.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Lennox Lewis the greatest

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Was browsing YouTube earlier and an official HQ upload of Canelo vs Khan popped up. (Unable to say if this is geolocked anywhere, isn't in England)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPtux9fl_mg

roughly 25:00 for the kill shot.
Still a beauty.

e:
I'm pretty sure that if you asked Sky Sports or the BBC for a all time top 10 heavyweight list, it'd take all their strength to not put Anthony Joshua on it at the moment.

e2: noticed my time suggestion is after the punch.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 28, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Was browsing YouTube earlier and an official HQ upload of Canelo vs Khan popped up. (Unable to say if this is geolocked anywhere, isn't in England)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPtux9fl_mg

roughly 25:50 for the kill shot.
Still a beauty.

e:
I'm pretty sure that if you asked Sky Sports or the BBC for a all time top 10 heavyweight list, it'd take all their strength to not put Anthony Joshua on it at the moment.

lol i forgot how terrified khan was looking at the end there. he knew he was slowing.

i hope anthony joshua is the real deal. i wouldn't say no to an uninsane british champ who just destroys people.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

thehappyprince posted:

katie taylor talks like james blunt sings

Shes a maniac but I love her. She had a bizarre car insurance ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5C_shkwtE&t=20s

Note the eyes. She's definitely going to get hired by irish tv when she retires, and it will be terrible.

Did anyone in this thread watch Michael Conlans pro debut versus Tim Ibarra? It seemed like a can crush. Ibarra doesn't have a wiki so I guess it was?

Actually Taylor is on the undercard for Joshua Klitschko, good for her, shes fighting alot now.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

Did anyone in this thread watch Michael Conlans pro debut versus Tim Ibarra? It seemed like a can crush. Ibarra doesn't have a wiki so I guess it was?
Yeah, but that's standard for a debut.

Less standard is the shady betting stuff that happened.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

is conlan the irish guy at the olympics who went ape poo poo at the officiating? i'm sour on that guy. olympic boxing is corrupt as gently caress but the scores in that fight were absolutely fine and he lost it on my cards too. all that outburst was was disrespectful towards his worthy opponent who was the better man on the day.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Conlan also got involved in some illegal betting in the Olympics too

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Marching Powder posted:

is conlan the irish guy at the olympics who went ape poo poo at the officiating? i'm sour on that guy. olympic boxing is corrupt as gently caress but the scores in that fight were absolutely fine and he lost it on my cards too. all that outburst was was disrespectful towards his worthy opponent who was the better man on the day.

Can't agree with you on that one man, the russian dude was wrecked. It was close enough but I think Conlan was a clear winner.

What shady betting stuff? Tell me more!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The time stamp I said earlier for Canelo Khan was after the fact so I've fixed it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

Can't agree with you on that one man, the russian dude was wrecked. It was close enough but I think Conlan was a clear winner.

What shady betting stuff? Tell me more!

A large influx of money came in on a bet for Conlan to finish the other guy in the third round on his debut. Like more than rounds one or two, which normally be the biggest picks for a debuting prospect. On the third round he went hard for a stoppage and got it.

In the Olympics Conlan made bets on fighters in his division, including betting on himself to lose.

E: not mislead though, he didn't bet on himself to lose to the guy he actually lost to.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 28, 2017

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Thats lovely, no surprise that I haven't heard of it from the national papers and stuff though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Team Sauerland has announced a press conference for tomorrow and according to the danish press they'll be announcing the return to the ring of Mikkel Kessler.

Supposedly he will be given a wildcard for the World Boxing Super Series (whatever that is) this summer.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So that's really happening? It's supposed to be two 8 man single elimination tournaments that Richard schafer is running. I guess one of them will be at 168? It's expected that one of them will be at 154

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Yeah ok, I guess I completely missed this.
MTG are the owners of Viasat (they own pretty much all the sports rights worth owning) in Scandinavia so I'm pretty sure this is actually going to happen.

quote:

Comosa AG are pleased to announce the launch of the World Boxing Super Series, a revolutionary bracket-style elimination tournament featuring the world`s best boxers and a total of $50 million in prize money. The winner will receive the GREATEST prize in boxing – the Muhammad Ali Trophy.

“The World Boxing Super Series will change the world of boxing,” said Roberto Dalmiglio, Comosa’s Head of Management Board. “The tournament will set new standards, ensure coherent storylines and provide top-class boxing throughout the year. It is Comosa’s ambition to turn the World Boxing Super Series into the world’s biggest and best boxing tournament.”

The tournament will be organized by newly-founded Comosa AG, a Swiss-registered company with principal owners from the world of marketing (Highlight Event & Entertainment), broadcasting (Modern Times Group) and boxing (Team Sauerland).

The tournament, the first of its kind, will kick off in September 2017. It will be taking place on an annual basis. The inaugural season of the World Boxing Super Series will feature two weight classes, 16 fighters and a total of 14 main events. In each weight class, eight boxers will battle it out in a bracket-style elimination tournament, with four quarter-finals, two semi-finals and one final. This makes for seven top fights per weight class, and a total of 14 fights in season 1 to be staged in premier venues around the globe. An expert panel will invite the world’s best boxers, namely the top 15-ranked fighters of the four big federations WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO.

Matthew Hooper, Executive Vice President, Modern Times Group, said: “The fighters can earn a lot of money in the World Boxing Super Series and also prove that they are the number one in their division. We will set out a clear and consistent schedule and stick to it.”

The eight Quarter Finals – four in each weight class – will take place in September and October 2017, with the four Semi Finals scheduled for January and February 2018. The two Finals will then go down in May 2018.

“Comosa is proud to announce a close cooperation with the family of the greatest boxer of all time, Muhammad Ali, and we are delighted to honour his legacy with this tournament,” said Kalle Sauerland, Comosa’s Chief Boxing Officer. “Whoever emerges as the winner of the World Boxing Super Series will rightfully receive the GREATEST prize in boxing, the Muhammad Ali Trophy.”

Added Richard Schaefer, Comosa’s Chairman of the Americas: “I have been involved in the sport for a long time and boxing has really been missing a big tournament like the World Boxing Super Series. Every major sport has one. This is a fascinating project and I am thrilled to be involved. The quality of the people behind this tournament ensures it will be a success.”

The weight classes for the inaugural season of the World Boxing Super Series – as well as the respective participants – will be announced at the Draft Gala, a live-televised kick-off event in June 2017. To avoid each other in the Quarter Finals, the top four boxers will be seeded. During the Draft Gala, they will pick their Quarter Final opponents.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The muhammad ali trophy has a long and storied history in boxing

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Every time someone tries this it never actually goes to plan. At least one guy will drop out, injuries will delay another two fights, the the winner of the trophy no one has heard of will be an alternate who wasn't even in the thing to start with.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Super Six produced Andre Ward so I think that went ok.

That this is a single elimination tourney bodes much better.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the super 6 was great

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Super Six had some good fights but also included 8 fighters, had two scheduled fights that never occurred, had three fighters drop out, had two fights that occurred outside of the event, and the semifinals included a fighter who was 1-2 in the tournament and a replacement.

Also the Kessler/Ward and Abraham/Dirrell fights both had controversial and unsatisfying endings.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If there's really 50 million dollars in prize money every year then maybe the tournament actually does happen, though. That's a ton of money even for sixteen fighters to split.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Anything to get two good fighters actually in the loving ring together should be applauded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
It really speaks to how screwed up matchmaking has become that the super six ,for all its flaws, was of the best things to happen to boxing in a really long time.

Speaking of good (or bad) matchmaking Luis Ortiz signed with Al Haymon. Hopefully now we see him more than once a year

http://www.badlefthook.com/2017/3/30/15128920/luis-ortiz-to-face-derric-rossy-on-april-22nd