Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Facebook Messenger's SMS integration works well, I'd recommend it. It's probably my favourite messaging app, and the one me and my friends use the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm annoyed about this not for me, I already used Android Messages, but for people like my mom this will be a really annoying shift. She uses both Hangouts and SMS, I'm not sure what to get her to use instead, and I'll have to figure out the easiest way to transition her habits.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just downloaded Textra as a replacement for Hangouts for SMS. How do I get it to open the app when I tap on the notification rather than open what I'd call a quick reply? I have the actual Quick Reply toggle off in Settings. It's driving me crazy.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

Just downloaded Textra as a replacement for Hangouts for SMS. How do I get it to open the app when I tap on the notification rather than open what I'd call a quick reply? I have the actual Quick Reply toggle off in Settings. It's driving me crazy.

Customize Notifications > Action - tap notification to open > full app

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome, thanks. Don't know how I missed that, but such a small thing was really driving me nuts.

Edit: actually, think I actually tried that before but didn't notice the totally weird, nonstandard play button to confirm changes up in the corner. I would ask "How did anyone think that was a good idea?" but I work in mobile app design so I know exactly how that happened.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 25, 2017

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Just found that Jade Empire is on Android, neat. I really wish Google Play was organized a bit better (or like, at all), so it was possible to distinguish between something the quality of Jade Empire and "Candy Crush clone 57". You basically have to know a game exists through other means before you'll stumble upon it on Google Play, even if you're searching for games in that genre. Maybe a "meant to be played for more than 5 minutes at a time" category or something...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcanen posted:

Just found that Jade Empire is on Android, neat. I really wish Google Play was organized a bit better (or like, at all), so it was possible to distinguish between something the quality of Jade Empire and "Candy Crush clone 57". You basically have to know a game exists through other means before you'll stumble upon it on Google Play, even if you're searching for games in that genre. Maybe a "meant to be played for more than 5 minutes at a time" category or something...

My first (recent) exposure to the play store was like holy crap look at all this garbage. Compared to the app store it looks like a yard sale but then if you look for specific things you usually find that it's there. My old iPad mini couldn't finish The Room 2 but my newer phone runs it and 3 just fine. :toot:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Arcanen posted:

Maybe a "meant to be played for more than 5 minutes at a time" category or something...

P.S., my "lifehack" of choice for this is searching for games that are natively compatible with gamepads.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Been trying to use Google photos. It seems to store stuff ok. But it hangs on 8 images waiting to upload. It never finishes. Also, it has an option to delete uploaded photos to free up space. It deleted "150" photos, but all of my photos are still on my local storage. What did this app actually do? What does it really do, and how can I hold it accountable? Is it really backing up my pictures or is it just flailing around?

I think my photos are on the cloud? Some of them? Maybe?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

Been trying to use Google photos. It seems to store stuff ok. But it hangs on 8 images waiting to upload. It never finishes. Also, it has an option to delete uploaded photos to free up space. It deleted "150" photos, but all of my photos are still on my local storage. What did this app actually do? What does it really do, and how can I hold it accountable? Is it really backing up my pictures or is it just flailing around?

I think my photos are on the cloud? Some of them? Maybe?

I've never had trouble with it deleting local copies personally. If you are unsure if they're safe in the cloud, you can open Google Photos in your browser.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Go to photos.google.com on a PC and have a look.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Also, force stop the Photos app and re-open it. It sounds like it's hanging up on something and not doing what it's supposed to do.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A little while ago I asked in here about setting alarms on a calendar.

1. Google's has an alarms app that can only be set the day of
2. Google calendar can set reminders any day in the future, but it makes a notification sound only audible for 1 sec so if you don't hear it or check your phone for a few hours, you are SOL

I want a thing that can set reminders days/weeks/months in advance and when it goes off, it make noise until I tap it to stop, so that I don't miss super important events.

Back when I originally asked, I had found an application called Life Reminders that did mostly what I wanted. However after using it for a bit, I'm started running into issues and I'm wondering if there's any better alternatives. The interface is a little clunky, like sometimes I try to swipe to scroll up or down and it instead just selects a random drop down on the interface and sets it to some other value. That and the last couple times I've had a reminder, it kept re-appearing instantly and alarm going off over and over when I tried to mark it done. I don't know why it wouldn't let me clear the alarms but its super frustrating and I don't think I can deal with this app anymore.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...jHoHrmQHkjbGgDA maybe?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Has anyone actually gotten friend locations in Maps yet? They removed them from Google+ but so far I don't have them in Maps.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

Has anyone actually gotten friend locations in Maps yet? They removed them from Google+ but so far I don't have them in Maps.

Nope!
XIII and I already started are Google bitching over it as well. I just used it this afternoon to track the GF to the airport, she's iPhone.

#googled

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
It's cool google I didn't want that thing I'd been using for years anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

Nope!
XIII and I already started are Google bitching over it as well. I just used it this afternoon to track the GF to the airport, she's iPhone.

#googled

I especially like that they left the Locations thing in the G+ sidebar that just brings up a page "Locations have moved to Maps!" with an Update Maps button. Click that and you go to the Play Store where you're already up to date.

I even removed myself from the beta and uninstalled updates to get a fresh, stable Maps version and NOPE no locations tab.

Oh well, like Scudworth said, I didn't want to use that feature I've used every day for years anyway.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I especially like that they left the Locations thing in the G+ sidebar that just brings up a page "Locations have moved to Maps!" with an Update Maps button. Click that and you go to the Play Store where you're already up to date.

I even removed myself from the beta and uninstalled updates to get a fresh, stable Maps version and NOPE no locations tab.

Oh well, like Scudworth said, I didn't want to use that feature I've used every day for years anyway.

Yeah, I even checked Apk Mirror to make sure that I was on the latest version of Maps. Guessing it's some server side bullshit.

At least my friends know I'm either at home, work, or the one bar we go to.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

I'm either at home, work, or the one bar we go to.

Are you... me?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I always thought it was weird that my friend's husband was always tracking her location or asking her to send it to him. Learning a lot itt

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I can't speak to his motives, but mine is almost exclusively for coordinating food ordering.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Blue Train posted:

I always thought it was weird that my friend's husband was always tracking her location or asking her to send it to him. Learning a lot itt

My gf is on an iPhone, so it takes effort for her to send it. I primarily use it for friends and my brother. He's always loving late, so i track when he actually left his house, we're about 30 min in opposite directions from my grandparents. gently caress getting stuck there solo.

Ive got my nexus 5x on Android O. Its all up to date, location / location history are on. drat you google.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, just coordinating our lives is why we do it when we do it.

To be honest we got out of the habit of sharing our locations in real time like that for some reason and we use the feature in hangouts where you can ask "where are you" and on their end it prompts them to share their current location.

That's not as convenient, so I imagine we'll go back to real time location sharing when it shows back up in maps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Real time is so much better because it requires no action on the part of the person presumably on their way to meet you and therefore unavailable to use the handset.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, just coordinating our lives is why we do it when we do it.

To be honest we got out of the habit of sharing our locations in real time like that for some reason and we use the feature in hangouts where you can ask "where are you" and on their end it prompts them to share their current location.

That's not as convenient, so I imagine we'll go back to real time location sharing IF when it shows back up in maps.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
It showed up in my Maps! Praise Google and its mysteries.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Real time is so much better because it requires no action on the part of the person presumably on their way to meet you and therefore unavailable to use the handset.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. I'm not sure why we got out of the habit. Probably because we don't need it terribly often and when that Hangouts feature became available we tried it out and somehow never got back in the habit of the real-time way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's great if someone is on a long trip and you're curious about where they are but they're diving so you don't want to text them. Or even call them, in case they're listening to podcasts or it's just inconvenient for whatever other reason.

The Maps update sounds like it's designed to be even better for this specific type of scenario than G+ ever was. So uh, let's have it already!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I finally got the maps location sharing update yesterday. Immediately tried it out by sharing my location with my wife. Amusingly she does not yet have it, but Maps on her end prompts her to update her app, taking her to the app store... where no update is available. Seems like a gradual rollout could be kind of confusing to lay people in this instance.

However she was able to view my location when on a computer (and logged into her account on maps). Kind of neat I guess.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

incogneato posted:

I finally got the maps location sharing update yesterday. Immediately tried it out by sharing my location with my wife. Amusingly she does not yet have it, but Maps on her end prompts her to update her app, taking her to the app store... where no update is available. Seems like a gradual rollout could be kind of confusing to lay people in this instance.

However she was able to view my location when on a computer (and logged into her account on maps). Kind of neat I guess.

You can see shared locations on the web? loving finally.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm just shocked to see people using Google plus

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

You can see shared locations on the web? loving finally.

Wooop.
JUST got it. I had a G+ update earlier today, but just recieved another. Looks like its up and at it!
I'm liking it so far. I've already set it to share my location with my normal group. But then you can hit the plus in the top right to share for a specific amount of time with other contacts. And you can even just get a link and txt that out (for the internet view as mentioned). I don't see the shared contacts (XIII has it and shared with me) just in my maps.google.com, but i do in the map app. Wee!

vyst posted:

I'm just shocked to see people using Google plus

I use it for Locations (no longer) and Events. I've got a friend that has refused facebook for the last 5 years or better, but they work at google so they use G+ events.

deong fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 28, 2017

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

It's a super handy feature for when I'm out cycling; if I have a mechanical problem it's way easier for the person I'm contacting to know exactly where I am instead of having me describe directions to this one road you've never heard of.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just checked my phone, and I now have Location Sharing, but I seem to have lost the compass icon in top right corner. Any idea how to restore it?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I did not have location sharing, but force stopped Maps, rebooted phone and now I have it. Probably a coincidence.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

myron cope posted:

I did not have location sharing, but force stopped Maps, rebooted phone and now I have it. Probably a coincidence.

I didn't have it until I updated G+ then force stopped Maps.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

XIII posted:

I didn't have it until I updated G+ then force stopped Maps.

Yup, same here:
When reading the thread I checked Maps and nothing was there.
Then updated all the apps, G+ amongst them.
Force closed Maps, started it, and voila - location sharing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I did not update G+, or any app, but still got the Location Sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I had already updated everything to no avail. A reboot got me there.

Simple but effective interface. Good to have it back in Maps.