Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but Kento Miyahara vs. The Bodyguard from the AJPW Junior Battle Glory Finals this year was stellar. I'm not crazy about The Bodyguard (is anyone, really?) but he really brought his A Game here to work his hometown of Osaka in this match with Kento.

Part of its appeal is definitely that we're starting to hit that stretch of the Kento Miyahara title run where you know him losing the title is actually coming sooner rather than later and it adds a whole new level of drama to hismatches. Not that I thought they were taking the title off someone who's clearly positioned as their new ace just to put it on Bodyguard, but there's always that lingering doubt in your mind during every nearfall that just ramps up the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Xmaspast posted:

I'm not crazy about The Bodyguard (is anyone, really?)

me

also yeah that match was the best Bodyguard has ever been and Kento's run is a blast

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

the Kento/Bodyguard match is real good. Kento is the best ace going today.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Minoru Suzuki, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 03/12
MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 03/12
HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Sanada, New Japan Cup 2nd Round, 03/17

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

HM Neville vs Mustafa Ali 205 Live 3/21

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Stale Saltines posted:

I'll 2nd even with the fact that it was done to a response of total silence from the crowd. I was really into it at home at least!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stale Saltines posted:

I was, much like the crowd, tired and bored when this match came on but I just rewatched it and hell yeah, thirded.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

HM: American Alpha vs. The Usos, Smackdown Live 3/21/17

A good high energy match with excellent spots that felt like it could've gone either way right until the end. Shame that this wasn't on the Wrestlemania card but The Club vs. Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Enzo & Cass is, and will not be anywhere near that good. :sigh:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

bradzilla posted:

A good high energy match with excellent spots that felt like it could've gone either way right until the end. Shame that this wasn't on the Wrestlemania card but The Club vs. Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Enzo & Cass is, and will not be anywhere near that good. :sigh:

Seconded, really fun match.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Stale Saltines posted:

Yeah

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

bradzilla posted:

Agreed

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Cien vs Roddy on the opening of this week's NXT was a fantastic match. Nice to see the midcard can still put on a great show.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's Championship Gate Night 2 show on 3/5.

HM: Cyber Kong vs YAMATO - Open the Dream Gate Championship

I was kind of dreading this match because it's a Cyber Kong singles match and his last Dream Gate match was a horrible disaster, but this was proof that a decent build can add a lot to a match. Since the beginning of the year, a lot of people in Dragon Gate have had to take time off due to injury so DG decided to work it into a story by saying Kong had injured them. They also added a worked injury angle where Kong injured YAMATO's throat in a tag match leading up to the show. Anyways, they managed to get a lot of heat with Kong repeatedly going after YAMATO's throat early in the match, and they did a pretty god job of building a story with YAMATO getting back into the match with his technical skill and getting pissed at Kong going after the throat, and the finish was pretty exciting with Kong voluntarily removing his mask and breaking out Black Mist only to be defeated by a last ditch desperate sleeper hold. A surprise on all fronts.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

Cien vs Roddy on the opening of this week's NXT was a fantastic match. Nice to see the midcard can still put on a great show.

That was Cien vs. Oney and yes it was. I'd even throw the HM on it.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Watched the rest of Dragon Gate's Championship Gate show. Really great show with lots of great matches, helped by the crowd being hot throughout both nights.

From Night 1 on 3/4

HM: El Lindaman vs. Eita - Open the Brave Gate Championship

Excellent match hampered by a dq finish but the post match shenanigans of everyone beating up everyone else was pretty fun.

From Night 2 on 3/5

MOTYC: North Tribe (BxB Hulk and Kzy) vs. CK-1 (CIMA and Dragon Kid) - Open the Twin Gate Championship

Even though I knew the outcome before hand I bought into some of the false finishes so obviously this match was doing something right. Loved the "just barely won, could have gone either way at the end" finish. Best match of a very good set of shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC

CENTELLA ROJA E HIJO DE CENTELLA ROJA
vs
EL PERVERSO Y SOMBRA DIABOLIKA

3/27 CMLL Arena Puebla

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

WMOTYC

vs

3/27 CMLL Arena Puebla

Seconding. Who boy, that was bad in a way that almost has to be seen to be believed. However, at least one match on this show is worth watching:

HM: Princess Sugehit vs Zeuxis, 3/27 CMLL Arena Puebla

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

WMOTYC

vs

3/27 CMLL Arena Puebla

Can we have a link to this? I love bad lucha.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man i'm gonna be really sorry for having missed that, aren't I

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

LionYeti posted:

Can we have a link to this? I love bad lucha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkCtRc9aX68

It's the first match. CMLL streams live shows every Monday and Tuesday night on Youtube that are automatically archived. The big friday night shows are on Claro Sports, and you'll have to wait for [url=https://www.youtube.com/user/thecubsfan]thecubsfan/url] to put them on his youtube if you miss them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thauros posted:

It's the first match. CMLL streams live shows every Monday and Tuesday night on Youtube that are automatically archived. The big friday night shows are on Claro Sports, and you'll have to wait for [url=https://www.youtube.com/user/thecubsfan]thecubsfan/url] to put them on his youtube if you miss them.

hoooly hell

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Thauros posted:

can't decide if i'm the ref who blew every spot or the bored/confused crowd after the "ending"

nth'd

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

HM: Io Shirai vs Kairi Hojo: STARDOM 3/20/2017

Really loving good match but the finish was kinda botched.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Junpei Hyde posted:

HM: Io Shirai vs Kairi Hojo: STARDOM 3/20/2017

Really loving good match but the finish was kinda botched.

Nth. I liked her match with Iwatani better.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
HM: Ricochet vs. Keith Lee, EVOLVE 3/30

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS
HM: Tracy Williams/Fred Yehi vs Michael Elgin/Donovan Dijak, EVOLVE 3/30

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

HM: Ricochet vs. Keith Lee, EVOLVE 3/30

ya

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM: Ricochet vs. Keith Lee, Evolve, 3/30
HM: Tracy Williams & Fred Yehi vs. Michael Elgin & Donovan Dijak, Evolve 3/30
HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. ACH, Evolve 3/30

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM: Sami Callihan vs. Kyle The Beast, Joey Janela's Spring Break, 3/31

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
you should watch literally all of Joey Janela's Spring Break but my actual HMs are

HM: Lio Rush vs Keith Lee, Joey Janela's Spring Break, 3/31
HM: Matt Riddle vs Dan Severn, Joey Janela's Spring Break, 3/31

but for real show of the year

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

abraham linksys posted:

HM: Lio Rush vs Keith Lee, Joey Janela's Spring Break, 3/31

2nd

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MOTYC: Joey Janela vs. Marty Janetty from Joey Janela's Spring Break
HM: Joey Janela's Spring Break Clusterfuck

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no noms for the mixed tag???

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: Ricochet vs. Keith Lee, Evolve, 3/30
HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. ACH, Evolve 3/30

Nth

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

HM: Joey Janela's Spring Break Clusterfuck

MOTY for both imo

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KungFu Grip posted:

3rd

Marty seems to be moving around slightly better than he was a few years ago, and I wasn't expecting that from him

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Marty always looks great when WWE brings him back for a stint or a single match. I heard a few years back that DDP had gotten a hold of him, is he clean now or what?

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
MOTYC: Ethan Page vs Darby Allin - Evolve 81
MOTYC: Pete Dunne vs Mark Haskins - Progress March 31

I feel silly nominating anything knowing that Okada/Omega has it locked up but both of these matches ruled. Darby in particular looked like a million bucks

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MOTYC: Mark Haskins vs. Pete Dunne, Progress 3/31
MOTYC: Sami Callihan/Shane Strickland vs. TK Cooper/Travis Banks, Progress 3/31
HM: Tyler Bate vs. Mark Andrews, Progress 3/31
HM: Trent Seven vs. Matt Riddle, Progress 3/31
HM: Zack Sabre Jr vs. Jimmy Havoc, Progress 3/31

Holy poo poo Progress was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006