Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Where do you live? I've never seen those and the bag is listed in grams. While we're at it, why don't they make the Taco flavored chips in a small bag? C'mon Frito Lay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Why did you eat the Hulk's skin flakes?!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Same with risotto. Looks like dogshit in every picture

Here's a risotto milanese being made (with vegetable broth instead of bone broth tho.) I did the cooking and shot the video and my sister made the gif. The saffron makes it look more presentable

That being said I tried doing the same thing with a radicchio risotto that I was making and it ended up looking like dogshit. but so fuckin good

pictured: one of my favorite foods in the entire world

baw has a new favorite as of 11:15 on Mar 28, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love the contrast in every element in these two pics. They're so similar but yet so very, very different.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Where do you live? I've never seen those and the bag is listed in grams.
Australia. Specifically Melbourne, but I assume they're at least available nation-wide.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

according to the GBS pizza thread authentic Italian pizza is mostly a terrible nightmare so who knows

:lol: loving goons, I swear to Christ...

Look, Italian pizza is amazing, it's just not the same as American pizza, and for some manbabies, that's unacceptable. Obviously it'll taste a little different wherever you go in Italy, but saying that Italian pizza is a "nightmare" is just stupid, and makes that person look like a god damned idiot.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

:lol: loving goons, I swear to Christ...

Look, Italian pizza is amazing, it's just not the same as American pizza, and for some manbabies, that's unacceptable. Obviously it'll taste a little different wherever you go in Italy, but saying that Italian pizza is a "nightmare" is just stupid, and makes that person look like a god damned idiot.

Also yes calling Italian a pizza a nightmare is insane unless he had a slice at a train station and thought it was representative of the whole country or something. The priciest pizzas I've had in the US are not as good as the average delivery pizza here.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1151XIp7K_E

Posting for the sandwich he makes starting around the 2:00 mark.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trebek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1151XIp7K_E

Posting for the sandwich he makes starting around the 2:00 mark.

:stonk:

Every time I watch his videos I feel as if I'm watching someone commit suicide. People joke about "lol heart attack burger" and poo poo, but that loving guy seems to eat nothing but that kind of food and do shitloads of drugs. If I click over to twitter now and find out that he died as I was typing this post, I'd be surprised at the coincidence, but not at his death.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

baw posted:

Also yes calling Italian a pizza a nightmare is insane unless he had a slice at a train station and thought it was representative of the whole country or something. The priciest pizzas I've had in the US are not as good as the average delivery pizza here.

No pizza duels

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AlbieQuirky posted:

No pizza duels

I mean, it really depends on where in the US he was. There's an area that constitutes like 50% of our geography where the people are terrified of flavors, and oregano is considered exotic and unpalatable. I'm pretty sure I got lucky with the pizza I ordered when I was in Phoenix, AZ. I picked the place that had the highest yelp ratings withing delivery range of my hotel, and I'd say it was: better than any of the big chains, but not as good as either of the two places I usually order from at home.

Uh, that said, I'm curious about what it is about the Italian pizza that allegedly elevates it? Higher local cheese quality? A more authentic tomato sauce?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yep. Place right down the road for me has the best pizza I've ever had anywhere in America but they'll undercook the poo poo out of it if you don't request it well done. They're all actually from Italy and fly back and forth from here to there constantly so I dunno if Italy just under cooks its pizza or what, but according to the GBS pizza thread authentic Italian pizza is mostly a terrible nightmare so who knows

Most of that Italian pizza in that thread looked delicious, fresh and interesting, but goons hated it because it contained toppings other than pepperoni and didn't have mounds of greasy plastic cheese.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

deadly_pudding posted:

Uh, that said, I'm curious about what it is about the Italian pizza that allegedly elevates it? Higher local cheese quality? A more authentic tomato sauce?

Higher quality all around the board. No Papa John's or Domino's bullshit anywhere. Fresh ingredients, etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, it really depends on where in the US he was. There's an area that constitutes like 50% of our geography where the people are terrified of flavors, and oregano is considered exotic and unpalatable.

That would be true also of New York, where people go bugfuck nuts for a big flat floppy slab of plain cheese from under a heatlamp.

The brick oven stuff is better, but for some reason it's not the thing everybody's actually after.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I dunno what it is tbqh. They get a lot of flavor and texture out of even a very thin pizza crust, even a simple margherita which basically comes down to three ingredients. Ingredient quality probably has a lot to do with it but I think there is also technique both with forming and cooking. The places I went to in the US were in or near Chicago (this was the "fancy" one where a friend and I split a $16 shot of grappa so that he could see how we drink coffee where I live) seemed like maybe they slopped on too much cheese or maybe the dough wasn't cooked properly but the texture was just weird and the flavors were less vibrant, like everything had a coating of grease that dulled the rest of the ingredients. Plus the other nicer pizzeria I went to put shredded fresh basil on a margherita :wtc:

The picture isn't great but here is an example of a pizza we get on pizza night (I put balsamic glaze on mine)

baw has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Mar 28, 2017

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

baw posted:

I dunno what it is tbqh. They get a lot of flavor and texture out of even a very thin pizza crust, even a simple margherita which basically comes down to three ingredients. Ingredient quality probably has a lot to do with it but I think there is also technique both with forming and cooking. The places I went to in the US were in or near Chicago (this was the "fancy" one where a friend and I split a $16 shot of grappa so that he could see how we drink coffee where I live) seemed like maybe they slopped on too much cheese or maybe the dough wasn't cooked properly but the texture was just weird and the flavors were less vibrant, like everything had a coating of grease that dulled the rest of the ingredients. Plus the other nicer pizzeria I went to put shredded fresh basil on a margherita :wtc:

The picture isn't great but here is an example of a pizza we get on pizza night (I put balsamic glaze on mine)

Since when is basil not supposed to be on a margherita?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

deadly_pudding posted:

A bit of actual mozzarella (not the yellow blocks) some basil and local tomatoes would do the trick, yeah.
Supermarket/big brand store veg being bland is a universal constant.

(Could also be brain tricks because why shouldnt pizza taste better in italy.)

CommonShore posted:

:stonk:

Every time I watch his videos I feel as if I'm watching someone commit suicide. People joke about "lol heart attack burger" and poo poo, but that loving guy seems to eat nothing but that kind of food and do shitloads of drugs. If I click over to twitter now and find out that he died as I was typing this post, I'd be surprised at the coincidence, but not at his death.

They cancel each other out.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Un chien andalou posted:

Since when is basil not supposed to be on a margherita?

It's that the bay leaves wereshredded and evenly-distributed on the pizza after it was cooked that was really weird. I haven't seen it in around here but maybe it is a regional thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bay leaves? What

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

baw posted:

It's that the bay leaves wereshredded and evenly-distributed on the pizza after it was cooked that was really weird. I haven't seen it in around here but maybe it is a regional thing

I'm not sure you know what bay leaves are, but fresh basil on a margherita is pretty common

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

baw posted:

If you confuse bay leaves with basil you're gonna have some really unfortunate cooking mishaps.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm not sure you know what bay leaves are, but fresh basil on a margherita is pretty common

Yeah I guess I've been using them interchangeably poo poo. fortunately I only cook risotto and chili so I haven't had any mishaps yet. Looking at pictures I think they were shredded basil leaves. Either way it was weird and overpowered everything else

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baw posted:

Yeah I guess I've been using them interchangeably poo poo. fortunately I only cook risotto and chili so I haven't had any mishaps yet. Looking at pictures I think they were shredded basil leaves. Either way it was weird and overpowered everything else

Shredded bay leaves would be inedible, IMO.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
When I went to Rome for school, my friend and I walked into some rando pizza joint, and it was among the best pizza I've ever had. Nothing fancy, just margherita, but I think it's the atmosphere and the fresh ingredients. They were also rpetty liberal with the olive oil while making it I suspect as the oil was in large copper watering can type things.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Shredded bay leaves would be inedible, IMO.

Too much basil is almost as inedible, but yes, don't eat bay leaves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Bloop posted:

Pesto, the closest substance to divine matter, disagrees.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

steinrokkan posted:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

steinrokkan posted:

:agreed:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Fourthed :yeah:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The Bloop posted:

https://twitter.com/T_Heffff/status/826885566000144384

https://twitter.com/KStacks_RealOG/status/816478681145180161

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Y'all will argue on and on what counts as a topping for pizza but can pizza be a topping?
For 50p from Asda you can find out!

Handy instructions on toast

Can't forget the "cheese"!

As this is a scientific test I chose to have one slice without cheese (this photo before the cheese was cooked)

It tasted bland for the most part. Like very very cheap pizza sauce. The cheese somehow made it even blander

Best use it all up! Is this a pizza sandwich?

I did finish it but it was not fun. Scooby-doo style sandwiches always seemed like a great idea but maybe pizza toast topping isn't the way to do it.

Good thing I also have a burger topping too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Um

That raises a question I did not know to consider.

What kind of "cheese" is British prepackaged processed "cheese"? Surely you don't call it "American".

Is it similar at all to our Kraft abominations, or is it bland and waxy and artificial yet somehow a classier flavor than ours?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Um

That raises a question I did not know to consider.

What kind of "cheese" is British prepackaged processed "cheese"? Surely you don't call it "American".

Is it similar at all to our Kraft abominations, or is it bland and waxy and artificial yet somehow a classier flavor than ours?
probably the same thing as kraft, generic unmolded cheese?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
That's a good question. I'm not a Brit but do live here and my partner (Irish) calls it plastic cheese. there is no derision in her tone when she says this and loves to make toasted cheese sandwiches with it, but will not use it for anything else

I have no idea how it compares to american. It tastes kinda salty and burns the poo poo out of you if it goops out of the sandwich

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Aussie here, plastic cheese.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elizabethan Error posted:

probably the same thing as kraft, generic unmolded cheese?

Pretty much. It's that stuff that looks, feels, and melts like cheese but isn't actually cheese.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Ramos posted:

Pretty much. It's that stuff that looks, feels, and melts like cheese but isn't actually cheese.

American cheese is basically still cheese

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/whats-really-in-american-cheese.html

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

fuckin white people literally started countless wars over spices and still dont know what the gently caress a bay leaf is

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ramos posted:

It's actually cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Millennial Sexlord posted:

fuckin white people literally started countless wars over spices and still dont know what the gently caress a bay leaf is

I think it's because they're supposed to be removed from the rice; Chipotle used to be better at removing them, and to be fair, it's hard to fuckin' find a bay leaf in your burrito until you bite into it.