Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Cran posted:

I like Homestuck.

That's loving stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its fine, to like homestuck. you can do whatever you want in life.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
but what if others judge me for it

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I don't judge people for liking Homestuck

I judge them for even knowing what Homestuck IS, because at that point the disease is already inside of them

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
like, or dislike

we all burn together

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's 2018 is the game out yet?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Cran posted:

I like Homestuck.

don't troll

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tunicate posted:

It's 2018 is the game out yet?

Yes, it is.

Don't you see Tunicate? You are the game! The power was inside of you all along!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

Can we rename the thread to MSPaint Adventures - How Much Clawtopsy Hates Homestuck, please

We're stuck with the title we have til the end of time

Like this comic

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My favorite thing about the updated map is that, when Hussie last updated the map, he framed Homestuck as a trilogy. Of course, the new map has Homestuck at four parts because of how massive the final sub sub act got.

I give Hussie credit for doing a good job for the most part when it comes to writing on largely a day-to-day basis, but man is he ever victim to whatever the literary equivalent of feature creep is called.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
That adventure map has updated exactly four times since I started reading in 2011.

Pants Donkey posted:

My favorite thing about the updated map is that, when Hussie last updated the map, he framed Homestuck as a trilogy. Of course, the new map has Homestuck at four parts because of how massive the final sub sub act got.

poo poo, I remember when Disc 2 was introduced and a conceit was that it would have less viewable content than disc 1 because of how badly Terezi scratched it.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

Except for the part where everyone was able to use various context clues and basic reasoning skills to answer the post long before I responded with any clarity. Spades being the same as Swords and Pages being equivalents to Jacks is kind of a common assumption.

Sure buddy, tell me more

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Like my grandpa used to say "I'm just calling a spade a sword, Page"

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Daius posted:

Like my grandpa used to say "I'm just calling a spade a sword, Page"

holy poo poo

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Pants Donkey posted:

whatever the literary equivalent of feature creep is called.

"needing a loving editor"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pants Donkey posted:

I give Hussie credit for doing a good job for the most part when it comes to writing on largely a day-to-day basis, but man is he ever victim to whatever the literary equivalent of feature creep is called.

And yet it still doesn't feel like enough, the ending seems so rushed and abrupt.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

And yet it still doesn't feel like enough, the ending seems so rushed and abrupt.
Because instead of escalating the stakes after Cascade, we slam on the brakes and go back to making arm jokes with four new characters. Which isn't something unheard of, but that's generally for a work that's (as you said) much longer than what Hussie was implying. He seriously acted like there was any possibility of Act 6 being as long or shorter than Act 5, and the Act blew up to be literally half of Homestuck. Seriously, A6A6 is nearly a quarter of the comic, and yet not a whole lot happens. We learn of Lord English's origins, and the thing builds up to a climax that ends in a reset where Vriska fixes everything. Then we're treated to one giant dialogue dumped that hurries through everything before sending the comic off to die. Outside of Dave/Dirk there wasn't a lot satisfying dialogue and just MORE characters thrown in at the last minute and ugh.

I'm not like, BKEW shattered over the end or anything, but it was disappointing to have such a big, awesome thing fizzle out. I really want to see something new from Hussie, with the lessons learned from Homestuck. As cool as SBaHJ is, I hope the teasers aren't like...actually for something involving those characters and something altogether new.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 28, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
What was hilarious about act 6 is that Hussie has said that Dirk was the kid most like himself, which...yeah I would not want to have Hussie as a friend if that's the case.

Honestly I could happily take Cascade as the end of the comic, despite not resolving anything it at least wasn't such a wet fart like the actual ending. Act 6 threw even more dangling plot threads and characters that I just couldn't get invested in. Roxy was the only genuinely interesting one and even she was less fun than she could have been simply because of the association with the rest.

Slime fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 28, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cascade only worked because it wasn't the ending. If it had ended there, it would have been significantly worse about all the problems of Collide except the hiatus fatigue.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Cascade only worked because it wasn't the ending. If it had ended there, it would have been significantly worse about all the problems of Collide except the hiatus fatigue.

Taken as an ending, Cascade at least had them escaping the comic in an unambiguous way.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Collide also would've been fine if it'd been followed by a proper climax. Cascade barely makes sense without A6I1 to supplement. As an ending, it would've been a huge let-down.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cran posted:

Collide also would've been fine if it'd been followed by a proper climax. Cascade barely makes sense without A6I1 to supplement. As an ending, it would've been a huge let-down.

"and so our heroes got played by the devil and had to flee into the depths of the void between realities with the ensuing, self-propagating fuckup nipping at their heels. the end."

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

"and so our heroes got played by the devil and had to flee into the depths of the void between realities with the ensuing, self-propagating fuckup nipping at their heels. the end."

Finio in medias res?

It'd be a bold move, that's for sure

Bold and postmodern

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
The Troll Ancestors should have just remained a joke and not 50k pages worth of filler. Vriska's ancestor leading to a dead narrative line (of about 2+ Years) didn't help, end then John's power just helped him paint himself out from one corner and into another.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I feel like the idea of the retcon isn't inherently bad, but the manner it happened negated one too many things that'd happened. It probably would've been fine if retconning had noticeable consequences like generic time traveling, and maybe if the point it'd changed had happened a lot later in the timeline.

I'm an apologist, but I also really hate post-retcon Vriska more than anything Homestuck ever produced.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I thought dead punk Vriska was a fairly interesting case of character development, so seeing her arc literally end with her getting shouted at by retcon Vriska (the worst Vriska) was pretty garbage

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I found it creepy in the same way I found Dirk/Jake creepy.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

I thought dead punk Vriska was a fairly interesting case of character development, so seeing her arc literally end with her getting shouted at by retcon Vriska (the worst Vriska) was pretty garbage

That was really such a terrible end, and just a narrative kick in the pants "Hey turns out you like this actually sucks in every conceivable way, Vriska isn't supposed to learn lessons, also I'm stealing your girlfriend"

Anyway, people don't have arcs, etc.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

I found it creepy in the same way I found Dirk/Jake creepy.

Oh right yeah I kinda forgot about the weirder aspects of the relationship

Ie I kinda forgot about it and Meenah somehow

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ThaumPenguin posted:

Oh right yeah I kinda forgot about the weirder aspects of the relationship

Ie I kinda forgot about it and Meenah somehow

Meenah is the worst character, she gets all of this build up and narrative focus and then NOTHING is done with her.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Meenah is the worst character, she gets all of this build up and narrative focus and then NOTHING is done with her.

Remember when people thought Meenah was going to be the apology for Feferi being such a nothing troll for Pisces people by being important and cool

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RandallODim posted:

Remember when people thought Meenah was going to be the apology for Feferi being such a nothing troll for Pisces people by being important and cool

she was a way to sell off the extra horoscope shirts for pisces

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RandallODim posted:

And she was, until she wasn't.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

RandallODim posted:

Wouldn't it have been cool if Feferi just did all that ghost stuff instead? Outside of Meenah being a huge rear end in a top hat, they essentially could have pulled the same role of being a Queen, but haha nah Feferi just joined the joke background trolls.

On that track, the dropped thread of Gamzee having some crazy weird power? I mean, since everyone/everything can just end up being a joke at any moment you kind of lose any stakes.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I was alright with Meenah to the extent that I was alright with any of the Lord English bubble plot, which feels almost irrelevant in in the story as it's told.

It seems weird to me that, at the end of the day, Meenah and Tavros of all people maintained center stage relevance in the dream bubbles whilst a plethora of dead god tier trolls were cannon fodder. On the whole, I kinda dislike the dream bubbles, less so for making death irrelevant and more for making characters in general irrelevant.

Like, I imagine Karkat meeting a failed timeline God Tier Karkat and learning from him. Or arguing with him. Either is fine.

The whole thing was mostly just a vehicle for separated characters to interact, which is...alright I guess. Also I'm one of the rare few who likes the Beforus Trolls, even if I found the Tumblr characterization to be mean-spirited at best.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

tbf if you were offended by the portrayal of kankri you are the sort of person kankri is probably mocking!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
List of good Beforus trolls:

Porrim (because she was hot)
Latula (because she plays videogames)
Epic Horse Dildo Meme Sprite!

List of bad Beforus trolls:

Your favorite one... yes, you the one reading this post... and not just you Clawtopsy, but EVERYONE in the thread :twisted:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hiveswap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

List of good Beforus trolls:

Porrim (because she was hot)
Latula (because she plays videogames)
Epic Horse Dildo Meme Sprite!

List of bad Beforus trolls:

Your favorite one... yes, you the one reading this post... and not just you Clawtopsy, but EVERYONE in the thread :twisted:

you know the best thing about nepeta is how she became a joke that dies a lot