Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I always have plans, I just don't ever get anywhere with them :v:

But yeah, I have several things I'm sort of intending to do at some point, but haven't got around to. Maybe I'll even manage something this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Chapter 15: Welcome To Wizard Hell (Prep)

Today we embark on a beloved Fire Emblem tradition.

It’s a gimmick map.

: You just said that.

: I said OASIS of Magic. It’s different.

: the sands surrounding it had run red. Many knights had tried to oust Gharnef, but what defense did they have against the mages the fiend had bent to his purpose? One by one the heroes fell to blades unseen and fires within their armor; and it was not long at all before Khadein’s wickedness outstripped its wisdom.

We have full deployment slots for this map because no allies will be joining us. I’ve put all of our fliers in because the terrain on this map is a killer.

For the same reason, I temporarily reclassed our Cavs into Myrmidons.

Why am I going to all this trouble?

It’s the customary Desert Map that nobody likes.

There are mages everywhere. Our starting position here actually doesn’t count as a desert, so movement isn’t impaired, but I’ll talk about Desert tiles real quick.

Desert tiles slow everyone down except Magical Units (Tome/Staff users) and flying units.

Most classes have their ranges chopped in half, having to pay 2 movement points per tile crossed. Paladins, Archers, Ballisticians, and Generals pay 3. Cavaliers pay 4. Horsemen have to spend 5.

You can probably see why this is incredibly annoying. In some previous games, thieves could find treasures buried in the sand. That doesn’t happen in this one.

The enemy is taking advantage of this by fielding mostly only casters and fliers. More of the former, which can be tricky because of the sheer lack of Resistance in this game. Still, they’re mostly quite low level. If I were to promote Maria and give her a tome, she could probably solo tank them and not take a point of damage.

These thieves are the only enemy units affected by the terrain, but we’ll still want to take this guy out before he loots the treasures on this map. But I’ll get back to that.

The boss here is a nameless bishop. He’s got the unholy offspring of the Ballista, the Swarm Tome, which is a Ballista but magic. It really doesn’t do much damage, though, and with this guy’s pitiful defenses, he’ll melt as soon as one of our physical fighters reaches him.

The map’s also lightly peppered with Dracoknights, though they’re a bit gimped by only using Javelins, which aren’t particularly powerful. They shouldn’t be too worrisome.

The treasure chests for this map are in the southeast corner, which is being guarded by a Sorcerer.

Specifically THE Sorcerer, Gharnef himself.

We do not want to fight him. Imhullu renders him completely invulnerable to any attacks. So just leave him be and give him space. There’s a way around this.

This one’s not so bad as far as desert maps go.

Bonus Content

We saw most of Catria’s supports last LP. So I grabbed one of Palla’s.

: Do you have a moment, Commander?

: Palla... Is something the matter?

: I wonder if I could receive some training from you?

: Is there a special reason? A knight of your caliber should have no need for any training I could give.

: I am... ashamed by my own weakness. It feels as though the feelings hidden deep within my chest could leak out any moment... and it frightens me.

Palla’s implied to have a bit of a thing for a certain fellow green haired mounted unit. It’s not Sedgar.

: ...I understand. I shall inquire no further. I have only just accepted what part of me I should cast away, myself. Let us spar, for the first time in a long while.

: Thank you. Then… Here I come!

: Though we're training, don't hold back. Cast the shadows of your heart onto your spear and come at me. Let us battle!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

I’ve put all of our fliers in because the terrain on this map is a killer.

:getin:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

LordHippoman posted:

Palla’s implied to have a bit of a thing for a certain fellow green haired mounted unit. It’s not Sedgar.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Geez, a weapon like that has to count a war crime of some sort.

You had a perfect opportunity to name this file "sadgar" :rant:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

vilkacis posted:

You had a perfect opportunity to name this file "sadgar" :rant:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's something oddly hilarious to me about the fact that the dangerous super-evil wizard that caused whatever's going wrong with the world and is clearly a very big threat and personal enemy to our hero has a whole 6 Magic. Frightening, no doubt.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

This works on so many levels as "New Mystery Of The Emblem.png" too.

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's something oddly hilarious to me about the fact that the dangerous super-evil wizard that caused whatever's going wrong with the world and is clearly a very big threat and personal enemy to our hero has a whole 6 Magic. Frightening, no doubt.

Gharnef himself is an old man living in the desert who has such a bad skin care routine he's actually somehow turned dirt gray. It's Imhullu that's scary.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 15: Welcome To Wizard Hell (Battle)

This map was slightly harder than I expected/remembered, but it wasn’t so bad.

Gharnef the sun is out.

Gharnef you’re in the desert. You don’t need that fireball.

: Ha ha ha… Really, do they think people have not tried before? So long as I possess this Imhullu magic, they cannot snuff my life out. No one can.

That might be important.

: As for the White Sage… He will trouble me no longer. With the dragon-goddess right where I want her, in the Fane of Raman, there is no way for Gotoh’s Starlight to disperse the shadows that guard me.

That also might be important, but it has way more Proper Nouns.

Fliers are really good on this map. Pegasus Knights also happening to have high resistance is just icing.

It is better if they hit, though. C’mon, Palla.

Thankfully we do have a (dark) Mage of our own.

He’s ready for this map in particular now.

I just kinda wanted that out of my inventory. Again, I think Maria now takes 0 Damage from any magic user here, except Gharnef.

Though it’s much less impactful than what the fliers can do, Pirates can also skip over this tiny chunk of river, saving a few turns. That might actually matter, given another element of this map we’ll see soon.

The enemies move! At least, the Dracoknights near the northeast do.

Much more importantly, so does Gharnef.

Probably unsurprisingly, we want to avoid Gharnef. That 22 Damage from Imhullu is a killer with the poo poo Res across the board in Shadow Dragon, and 19 Speed means he stands a pretty solid chance of doubling your units, especially slowpokes like Wolf.

Gharnef can one round kill General Wolf. Be careful.

Don’t worry, that’s not his range Cord’s sitting in. That’s a Dracoknight.

See? We’re all good.

We’re no longer good :smith:

The pressure is on now, though. A Dracoknight is supporting Gharnef’s menace here. I want to make sure he doesn’t Javelin Maria or Wendell.

To do that I made this weirdass formation that conveniently blocks off any squares within 1-2 Range of Maria.

I don’t even know if he can one round her but this looked cool so I did it. :colbert:

Meanwhile this Thief picked the absolute worst time to show up.

Zap.

Recover is just a flat out full heal. Not bad.

While most of the team nervously inches away from Gharnef, Minerva, Caeda, Barst, and Marth are going to start working on the enemies on the west side of the map.

Not much to worry about from this guy.

This is unpleasant, though.

Impending Gharnef also means I don’t want to leave anyone in melee range, meaning that Dracoknight’s going to continue being a hassle for at least another turn.

Wolf and Catria still get hits in.

Formation Healer Defense is a go, again.

Obnoxiously, the range on both these mages lines up perfectly with Gharnef’s. They’ll be annoying to Julian, and if he tries to escape on the right, he’ll just run into the big man himself. It’s a rock and a hard place!

Caeda cares not for rocks.

Cord, thanks to tome users moving quick in the desert because they float or something, I dunno, manages to break right and get ready to take down another of the chaff mages.

Speaking of. I used Hauteclere here because I didn’t want her to take the 12 damage. You’ll see why.

Evidently there was something here earlier. Now there’s Barst. (It was the Bishop Minerva pulled over.)

Linde should also be able to lure over the last Dracoknight. 3 Defense is painful to look at, but Linde’s function has always been to be a tactical nuke with her Magic and Aura for that extra punch when I need it.

Here’s why I was worried about Minerva’s HP. The “boss” on the castle is going to throw bugs at her from a long distance. Extremely rude. Worth noting, fliers don’t get terrain bonuses, so this fort isn’t helping with evasion. Swarm just has naturally bad accuracy.

Cord’s still a glass cannon, even against mages, but Bolganone does work.

I have that issue with both of these guys. Linde’s more extreme with it, though.

Also poo poo, here he comes.

Wendell’s still got a Physic handy, at least.

There’s another Dracoknight coming for Cord, so he needed it. I’m making a mistake here I don’t realize.

Thankfully this stretch of terrain is technically plains, so Julian can escape Gharnef’s range.

The Dragoon also goes down to a lousy Thunder tome. Not wasting charges on that joker.

The one down here meets a more dignified end.

A Catria themed end.

: Caesar was wearing a silly bandana. I didn’t like it. What kind of a name is Caesar anyway?

: You can skip ahead to the part where you start moving again, it’s alri-

: How many Caesars do you know? How many bandanas do you know? Exactly. That might be a headband, actually, I’ve never been sure of the difference.

From Enemy Phase 5 onward, a new mage will spawn where Gharnef started and start running at you.

Also, more bugs, but Julian can dodge them.

Minerva did get healed by the fort, at least, that’s evidently not considered a terrain feature.

Cord also gets a good dodge off. This was a lucky turn. Sadly, this wasn’t a double because Bolganone is heavy.

Thus the Curate just heals that Dragoon back to full. Dammit.

See, this is what I should have done the first time.

Caeda also nonchalantly dispatches the “boss”. Later, generic Bishop. See you on the Normal run.

This is beginning to get uncomfortable.

After 6 turns of chasing us around, Gharnef’s thrown out his back and his widow’s peak is all agitated.

: But if it’s Falchion you want, come and take it. I shall be waiting at the Temple of Thabes.

He departs for Fantasy Egypt, I guess.

Most importantly, this means we’re finally free of Gharnef, as well as all the enemies on the west end of the map. (Except for one Curate.) Now it’s just a matter of cleaning up to get to those chests!

The first of the Gharnef Replacements reached our team. It was a mistake.

This seems like a great time to show off the Barrier Staff. It’s a niche little item, but when it’s useful, it’s really useful.

Like right here. Guess who’s nearly invincible now?

Great job as always, Wendell. :allears:

Wolf also pitches in. Maybe I should have brought Javelins that weren’t held together with chewing gum.

:getin:

Turn 8 brings a more obnoxious reinforcement type along with the usual Mage, a new Dracoknight in the northeast section. This map is really full of empty space, those are the only reinforcement spawn points.

:allears:

Thankfully I didn’t have anyone too squishy there. Remember that Hard Mode means reinforcements can attack as soon as they spawn!

It’s dumb!

I can’t do quite enough damage to kill the Dragoon from there, so I’ll get Caeda out. Caesar and Cain move to block.

One of the mages ran past Catria to go for Wolf. I guess it was technically a better choice.

:black101:

I almost forgot about this guy.

Caesar also dispatches of our flying foe with a stylish Crit. Those Dracoknights have a lot of defense.

Worth it for that level, though.

Palla’s going to go block their spawn so I don’t have to deal with that anymore.

The only really interesting thing about the shops north of the castle is that they sell another replacement Rapier, but at this point the Rapier’s might is so low it’s lost a lot of its strength.

No more Dracoknights. No more reinforcements, actually, the Mages have finally stopped as well.

There are still two of ‘em kinda loitering on that east edge, out of the way of everyone and everything, though.

I do it for the experience.

That’s okay too.

Once Julian finally hauls his rear end over there, the first chest has a nice reward.

That’s pretty drat good in Shadow Dragon, the game where Res is more dead than Con.

The other one has an Energy Drop. Nice, but nothing we haven’t seen before.

Only about 12 extra turns for those two chests!

:toot:

It’s haunted.

: Huh? Who are you?!

: My name is Gotoh...I am speaking to you from Macedon through magic.

Oddly, a portrait for Ghostly Glowy Gotoh doesn’t seem to exist. I think they just put a filter over his normal one.

I’ll do my best.

: Gotoh? The White Sage?

: Some have used that name, yes. You must listen to me. As you suspect, Gharnef has made off with Falchion.

Evidently Gharnef and Medeus aren’t as buddy-buddy as the intro may have us believe. I don’t think any of Medeus’ lackeys actually like him.

: Gharnef knows this. And one day, he plans to conquer Dolhr and rule the entire world.

: Is Imhullu so powerful a magic, then?

: Yes. The mage who wields it cannot be killed; cannot be so much as scratched. I was the magic’s guardian once. Knowing its forbidden power could work terrible evils, I kept it close. But Gharnef, one of my two pupils- Miloah being the other- took the forbidden tome and vanished. Now you are paying for my carelessness. Forgive me. I wish to make amends by teaching you the only way to undo Imhullu’s power.

Miloah was Linde’s father, in case you forgot. Gharnef killed him. Makes sense, given that Imhullu does make him completely immune to harm, which carries over into gameplay!

: Which is…?

: It is called Starlight. One blast is enough to break through Imhullu’s shadowy protection.

I think this is the first time they say “Orbs” in this series. Hail the first Orb.

: Heed me, Marth. When you find the Lightsphere and Starsphere, bring them to me. Then I will give you the magic you seek. Then you will have Starlight, and with it, Gharnef’s reign will end.

That sounds like a good idea.

Still, Marth has unfinished business. We’ll take care of that soon.

Bonus Content

The Eldest Of The Three Pegasus Sisters, Palla

That Pegasus looks concerned.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 11, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

: Caesar was wearing a silly bandana. I didn’t like it. What kind of a name is Caesar anyway?

: You can skip ahead to the part where you start moving again, it’s alri-

: How many Caesars do you know? How many bandanas do you know? Exactly. That might be a headband, actually, I’ve never been sure of the difference.

Jagen's lucky it's Steve and Marth's generation around, not Chrom's.

Chrom gets a little... emotional when people insult Caesar.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Oddly, a portrait for Ghostly Glowy Gotoh doesn’t seem to exist. I think they just put a filter over his normal one.

You can get one from Spriters Resources. But that's boring.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Y'know...bad level ups are like, 57% of what makes Fire Emblem LP's fun but...drat. This is getting sad. Did you piss off an old gypsy woman before starting this LP? Are you ok? Can I get you a cup of tea?

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 1, 2017

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Y'know...bad level ups are like, 57% of what makes Fire Emblem LP's fun but...drat. This is getting sad. Did you piss off an old gypsy woman before starting this LP? Are you ok? Can I get you a cup of tea?

That's how I feel playing PoR right now. My Soren and Boyd are turning out pretty great but everyone else? Oof. My Mia has gotten I think one point of strength over her bases so far and Ike somehow almost has a useable magic stat.

But that's FE!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's really not THAT bad for Shadow Dragon, really.

As a matter of fact, there are a few characters that have worse growths in Shadow Dragon than in the original version. Est has much worse growths in Shadow Dragon, which is... annoying. There are some exceptions; all the clerics, mages, and Jagen for example have much better growths in Shadow Dragon. Although, admittedly comparing the two isn't entirely fair as the original didn't actually do random level ups do to the limitation of the system.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 1, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Jagen's lucky it's Steve and Marth's generation around, not Chrom's.

Chrom gets a little... emotional when people insult Caesar.

Fun fact I watched the whole first season of this dang show, partially because last time people kept referencing it in the thread and I would have liked to give a response other than "uh".

It was pretty fun, does not change my "I don't like anime" stance but it was good. I liked Speedwagon.

There is an anime I watched in preparation for part of this LP...but that's for the SECRET SIDE PROJECT.

Camel Pimp posted:

You can get one from Spriters Resources. But that's boring.

A level of Gotoh artistry I could not capture myself.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Like people have pointed out, it's mostly just Shadow Dragon, not my luck being horrendous or anything. Growths are worse than in a lot of newer FE games, but to compensate the enemies are generally less powerful. Doesn't help that this is sandwiched in American releases by Radiant Dawn, the one with 3 Tiers of promotion, and Awakening, the one where Everyone Is Good.

I do accidentally bumble over several ancient burial grounds before each update though.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I wonder If I have a shadow dragon save lying around to show off my luck.

Also the Gotoh filters was the best fire emblem lp joke.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

Fun fact I watched the whole first season of this dang show, partially because last time people kept referencing it in the thread and I would have liked to give a response other than "uh".

It was pretty fun, does not change my "I don't like anime" stance but it was good. I liked Speedwagon.

Each season has a completely different tone and cast - depending on what you qualify as "the first season" it might even qualify within them - so it's not inaccurate to say it's more like four shows.

Liking Speedwagon is good though.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

I wonder If I have a shadow dragon save lying around to show off my luck.

I think I have a somehow amazing Castor somewhere on my old cartridge.

AweStriker posted:

Each season has a completely different tone and cast - depending on what you qualify as "the first season" it might even qualify within them - so it's not inaccurate to say it's more like four shows.

Liking Speedwagon is good though.

Sorry, I guess by first season I meant the first two "parts"? I left off when Joseph's story ended.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sadly the only Fire Emblem saves I have lying around are my old 6 and 12 ones.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

Sorry, I guess by first season I meant the first two "parts"? I left off when Joseph's story ended.

Ah, all right. For what it's worth SDC is kind of halfway between adversary-of-the-week and Around the World in 80 Days, but it ended up being so long it's two seasons (although D'Arby the Gambler is one of the best things in all of anime). Diamond has weird pacing in that it's a successive series of manhunts within a single town but the plot just takes weeks off for things like a girl getting a crush on one of the main characters, or going to an Italian restaurant (also one of the best episodes).

(Don't feel bad, the way that panned out was legitimately a little complicated to discuss.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Gharnef following you around menacingly and then deciding that it's no fun when you're faster than him and leaving is kind of funny.

Sort of speaking of, a Fire Emblem game set in fantasy Egypt would own bones.

I mean as long as they didn't set it entirely on desert maps or something, then it would suck.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

vilkacis posted:

Gharnef following you around menacingly and then deciding that it's no fun when you're faster than him and leaving is kind of funny.

Sort of speaking of, a Fire Emblem game set in fantasy Egypt would own bones.

I mean as long as they didn't set it entirely on desert maps or something, then it would suck.

And every unit rides horses.

Man, thinking about it, it would be really easy to make a Fire Emblem game that's endlessly frustrating.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, you just make this

every map in the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
OG Gaiden desert maps reduced movement to 1 for every unit and bow users have 1-5 range.

And the bow users sometimes stack 4-5 in a cross formation on top of a castle.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Speaking of Gaiden, for those astonished at the poor growths in this game, Gaiden was worse. I genuinely don't know if it's possible to get more than 3 stats a level. At least it's very rare. (I haven't been following SoV very closely so I don't know if it's going to imitate the original's growth rates. If so... that'll be fun.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
All the growths seem better because they need to be for the new fatique system.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Yeah, you just make this

every map in the game.

I think this might legitimately be my least favorite map in the series. New Mystery Chapter 3 is awful, yeah, but this map actually made me drop Binding Blade. Never played Thracia or Gaiden, though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Desert Fog of War? That's just... wow. What sick person decided that was a good idea?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alxprit posted:

Desert Fog of War? That's just... wow. What sick person decided that was a good idea?
A development team that hadn't really done much since 1999 (when Thracia 776 was released) and had to move over from the N64 Disc Drive to the Gameboy Advance because the former flopped spectacularly.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
To be fair, though, it's not the only one.
They did it again in the next game, albeit on a map that is exclusive to Hard Mode only.

And yet it's still nowhere near as bad, simply because the game doesn't force you to field two brand new fragile-as-gently caress and near-useless units, including a Level One Shaman

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

And it's timed; you have to beat in a certain number of turns to get the gaiden chapter, and if you don't get the gaiden you don't get the good ending. And the game gives you two completely underpowered and useless units; one a level one mage and the other a mounted pre-promote. Oh, and the former has to survive to get the Gaiden.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

And it's timed; you have to beat in a certain number of turns to get the gaiden chapter, and if you don't get the gaiden you don't get the good ending. And the game gives you two completely underpowered and useless units; one a level one mage and the other a mounted pre-promote. Oh, and the former has to survive to get the Gaiden.
And let's not forget the capstone to all this nonsense: there's a hidden promotion item right by the gate you have to seize to end the map, and only Sophia (the aforementioned level 1 Shaman) can find it. And finding buried items in deserts is based around the unit's Luck stat. Sophia comes with 3 Luck, for the record.

Chapter 14 in Binding Blade is cordially invited to go gently caress itself. With a cactus.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I had the most ridiculous luck with the treasures on that map, everybody just picked them up the moment they stepped on the right tile, thief or not, just poof, treasure. I'm beginning to wonder if I accidentally poked something I didn't mean to while I was editing the rom :v:

Serenes claims the ring is 100% for Sophia, though.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Basically, an entire half page or so of evidence that every time I complain about a desert map in one of these LPs, it could be worse.

It could be Binding Blade/Sword Of Seals/That One With Roy/Whatever we're calling it now. I remember liking the one in Sacred Stones, though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

And let's not forget the capstone to all this nonsense: there's a hidden promotion item right by the gate you have to seize to end the map, and only Sophia (the aforementioned level 1 Shaman) can find it. And finding buried items in deserts is based around the unit's Luck stat. Sophia comes with 3 Luck, for the record.

Chapter 14 in Binding Blade is cordially invited to go gently caress itself. With a cactus.

The hidden promotion item is treated like an event, so as long as you step on the right tiles you always get it. That said it's a Guiding Ring, and Binding Blade is pretty infamous for being stingy as poo poo about those so it's still a gently caress you.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I have no issues whatsoever with desert maps on account of 1/2 of female units being mages and fliers and them being rather late in the game so you have a full team or maybe even more to bench the off chance of a female knight or horsy. If anything the loot makes me like them, so this is by far the worst.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it but when you started this thread I started reading and playing along with your 12 one, and I finally remembered I was doing that so I'm making progress again, chapter 12, most of my people are promoted.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Basically, an entire half page or so of evidence that every time I complain about a desert map in one of these LPs, it could be worse.

It could be Binding Blade/Sword Of Seals/That One With Roy/Whatever we're calling it now. I remember liking the one in Sacred Stones, though.
Sacred Stones' desert map is a little more forgiving, depending on which route you take. Eirika's route is a little more difficult because you start up in the desert terrain and have to work your way around to get everything, but Ephraim and Duessel can handle the bottom section (sorry Knoll) without many issues. Ephraim's route gets it easier as his group starts in a plain section and not have to worry too much about the desert terrain loving up movement for 90% of the cast since he aggro a good amount of the enemies towards his group and away from Eirika/Saleh/Innes.

And with the release of Fire Emblem Heroes, IntSys has settled on Binding Blade as the subtitle of Roy's game, it seems.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It was Binding Blade ever since Brawl and Awakening, everyone just went with Sword of Seals for same reason people used Blazing Sword and not Blazing Blade.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I will always remember that support conversation between Treck and Gonzales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 16: It’s Pronounced Like “Chainy” (Prep)

It’s been 16 chapters since Marth was home.

Welcome back.

(He didn’t even hit me :smuggo:)

: Once Marth’s kingdom had been beautiful, blessed with rich soil and clear waters; now the eyes tended to notice instead the barren farms; the ruins; forlorn stares. Marth vowed to free Altea from its torment without any further delay.

: “Forlorn Stares”?

: For most people.

Only 13 slots this time around, although it’s a bit of a weird count, because there are technically only two possible recruits you can get per run here.

I’m going to be frank here, Cain’s not really competing anymore. Abel took his spot as my Cav of choice long ago, so I’ve dropped him (probably permanently) for Caeda. I know I’m spreading EXP pretty thin on this run, but I do get to show off more characters this way, and I’m not struggling to defeat most enemies, so I think I’m leveled enough.

I’ll probably be doing some early promotions so we can see the advanced classes before the final dang map, though.

I gave this to Caeda because her Strength was the lowest of our physical fighters.

Regarding the Talisman, Res is good on everyone, so I used a highly advanced tactic.

Congrats, Julian. This was actually probably the worst choice because I’m trying to keep him out of combat, but the tactics don’t lie.

This map is a long haul. The update might take a while, sheerly because of this fact, and definitely not because of all the video games coming out this week that look better than Shadow Dragon. (If this is still going when Shadows of Valentia comes out someone might have to do the endgame for me)

We’re headed for the island on the center right, and the least obstructed path leads to a row of forts, which are definitely not traps. That would be silly.

These are some very special villages, though. If you visit one, You cannot visit the other. They each have an exclusive character! Time to choose. Whichever doesn’t get picked I’ll choose on the Normal run, though they are both thoroughly garbage.

But do you want Left, for an “Old” Friend with a Dark Past, or Right, for Another Blue Haired Guy?

Please bold your votes and I’ll tally them before I start this map.

Gotta hurry to get either of them, though, because this thief has his eyes on the prizes as well.

This map does have an Arena, though it’s a bit out of the way.

The entry to the goal island is covered by some Cavaliers with nasty weapons. Keep an eye out for those on this map.

There’s a way through to the right as well, though there are promoted enemies and two locked doors guarding the way. This is a Julian job.

Also this guy’s here. Where are his weapon ranks? Where’d he get all that Resistance?

One thing that may have surprised you about this map so far is that there don’t seem to be many...enemies on it.

Well, they’re all waiting to charge us! Get ready to defend against an onslaught of mounted foes, and some Dracoknights for good measure.

gently caress this guy.

The boss has a goofy portrait and is pretty much just King Jiol but slightly better. Nothing you can’t handle at this point in the game. The real test is going to be his goons.

So feel free to vote for village choices, and in the meantime, here’s some BONUS CONTENT

Marth, Prince Of The Lost Country

I figured this was fitting for this map.

• Locked thread