Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

Sad Doot should really be this thread's mascot.

I'm pretty sure it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

MrYenko posted:

Burrowing owls, watching the sunset.

A (very) slightly better picture.

Very nice photos, thanks for posting them!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm pretty sure it is

But... what ever happened to the P. audaxity of hope? :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We can have two !

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

P. audaxi is for our rare good days. Sad Doot better represents the average goon's lifestyle and aspirations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I want more pics of the commando possum.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I want more pics of the commando possum.

he got cornered in the yard by the beagles a few nights ago and hosed off and hasn't been seen since

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

poverty goat posted:

he got cornered in the yard by the beagles a few nights ago and hosed off and hasn't been seen since

He's probably just too drat stealthy to be noticed. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

my cat is norris posted:

I just want to know

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I got crabs in Hawaii.

Beige tide pool crab of some kind.

Well-camouflaged green crabs.

A really well-camouflaged tide pool dweller.

Hermit crabs are the best crabs. Discuss.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I got crabs in Hawaii.

Beige tide pool crab of some kind.

Well-camouflaged green crabs.

A really well-camouflaged tide pool dweller.

Hermit crabs are the best crabs. Discuss.

cool crabs!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The other day I saw some otters in the river near my house but couldn't get a picture of them before they dove underwater and emerged too far away, but I was passing the same bridge and saw something else. I think it's some sort of weasel but have no idea, and I don't know what it's holding either, I think it may be some sort of bird. I'm in Kingston, Ontario.

I even managed to get a video of it swimming across the water into the reeds. Sorry for loud traffic noises, probably better muted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjt1845Kqa8

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Looks like a fisher to me.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That or a mink.

E: Actually I'm going to go with mink because it seems pretty comfortable hunting on the ice and swimming in the cold water there. Fishers spend most of their time in and around trees.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 7, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's tough at this resolution without good scale. Some mustelid anyway.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's hard to tell how big it is since I was on a bridge quite a bit above it and fairly far away, but I'd say between 1-2 feet long? It was fairly small.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Probably a mink then? Fishers are a little bigger.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Looking for help with a bee ID!

Friend posted this photo, know it's not a lot of use since you can't see all the bands, my first thought was bombus terrestris but I'm not really sure. I'm in the north of Ireland, if that helps!

Also here's one I took of a white tailed bumblebee(?) going nuts over a chive plant in my garden

Bees are awesome

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You need to see the butt to be sure. The first bee could be either B. terrestris or B. lucorum (or B. cryptarum or whatever the hip kids call it nowadays). Might be the former but it's hard to tell because she's wet and facing towards us.

Second bee is definitely the latter.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 20, 2017

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

given the colouration on the first band I would lean towards B. terrestris but yes, difficult to be sure without a different angle shot
the bumblebee conservation trust has some nice ID tips for British Isles bees with lovely clear drawings of band patterns, highly recommended
edit: THEY HAVE AN IPHONE APP downloading asap

good work by your friend in looking after the poor little thing, and your picture is really nice too :3: chives are delicious AND bees love them, win-win!

vaguely fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 20, 2017

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Took a quick jaunt out to Elk Island National Park last weekend and saw a bunch of (plains) bison for a change!

A couple of loners away from the main herd.

Said herd.

If we'd arrived 10 minutes later they'd have already crossed the road and been out of view!

I also spotted a bald eagle, which is a bit rare in landlocked Alberta in the winter. I wonder what it's been eating with all the waterways frozen?

Just try it, buddy.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bald eagles are very capable scavengers. The majority of their diet is stuff someone else killed! :eng101:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dunno why ive never clicked a critterquest thread. Its really good. Thanks everyone

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, when I used to drive a truck from B.C. to Calgary and Edmonton, I'd see quite a few bald eagles mixed in with ravens as they dined on deer/elk killed by traffic.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
More tree lizards getting into my house.

I let this one stay in my house for a week before I decided to throw it out.

Bonus lizard that got into my laundry basket a month ago.

Both of these guys are about 4 inches long. They're considerably flat, so they find a way to sneak into my house, but I haven't found any places in my house where they could sneak in.

What do I add to the image urls that will cause the images to auto fit into the post so I don't have to thumbnail it or break tables or edit the image?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You just use the timg tag instead of img. For imgur links, insert S, M, or L before the .jpg to create auto thumbnails. L is usually just fine.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Also I like your lizards!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

ijii posted:

More tree lizards getting into my house.

I wish I had tree lizards instead of silverfish, ants, and the occasional cockroach. Though the lizards would probably prefer to stay outside what with all the cats in here.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I wish my country had more than three species of lizards.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I wish I had tree lizards instead of silverfish, ants, and the occasional cockroach. Though the lizards would probably prefer to stay outside what with all the cats in here.

I've lived in homes that have had visits from ants, a bigger pain in the rear end then roaches IMO.

It's been about 2 weeks since I've stepped in my backyard and found 3 yellow jackets trying to build a nest at my porch's ceiling. 4 feet was as close as I was going to get to take a picture.

I knocked it down with my trusty telescoping pole saw. The 3 yellow jackets buzzed around for a minute and went back to the former location of the nest. I grabbed a spray bottle with water/dish soap mixture and sprayed them from a safe distance. Unfortunately it didn't soak them so they just pissed off instead of go dead. I'll have a to do checks around the house to make sure they don't find another location to build.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

ijii posted:

I've lived in homes that have had visits from ants, a bigger pain in the rear end then roaches IMO.

It's been about 2 weeks since I've stepped in my backyard and found 3 yellow jackets trying to build a nest at my porch's ceiling. 4 feet was as close as I was going to get to take a picture.

I knocked it down with my trusty telescoping pole saw. The 3 yellow jackets buzzed around for a minute and went back to the former location of the nest. I grabbed a spray bottle with water/dish soap mixture and sprayed them from a safe distance. Unfortunately it didn't soak them so they just pissed off instead of go dead. I'll have a to do checks around the house to make sure they don't find another location to build.

I don't think those are yellow jackets? Rather some sort of paper wasp that happens to be yellow.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sir Nose posted:

I don't think those are yellow jackets? Rather some sort of paper wasp that happens to be yellow.

I've looked this up in the past, and apparently what is considered to be a "yellow jacket" varies considerably by region. What i have always considered to be a yellowjacket is a type of hornet, while those look like what I would refer to as a wasp. In my area, a wasp has a long thing abdomen, while yellowjackets are stouter and built more bee-like.

For example, this is what I think of when I say "yellowjacket":

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
a girl once told me my spirit animal was a heron and then she raped me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
There is a super friendly black kitten in my neighborhood with no collar but everything was a snapchat for the lady I'm banging. Unsure how to share the media.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've looked this up in the past, and apparently what is considered to be a "yellow jacket" varies considerably by region. What i have always considered to be a yellowjacket is a type of hornet, while those look like what I would refer to as a wasp. In my area, a wasp has a long thing abdomen, while yellowjackets are stouter and built more bee-like.

For example, this is what I think of when I say "yellowjacket":

yes, that type of hornet is generally accepted as a yellowjacket.

a lot of folks ask me about my steam name (A Vacuum Full of Bees) and if there's a story behind it, and there is. Though yellowjackets are not bees, I know, but vacuum full of hornets doesn't quite sound or fit right.

I had a nest of yellowjackets, hundreds of the bastards, build up inside my wall unbeknownst to me. One day they chewed a hole in the wall and started swarming into my bedroom proper, and so I grabbed my dustbuster and started sucking them all up. Then I banged on the wall a bunch with the dustbuster next to the exit hole and got the rest of them. Then I shook it up a shitload and emptied them all into the toilet, slammed the top down, and flushed the lot of them.

yellowjackets suck

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 29, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

fbsw posted:

a girl once told me my spirit animal was a heron and then she raped me

interesting stuff

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I found a big ol' bumble bee! It was very excited about these flowers. So Mak0rz, what is it?
(Central Arkansas)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vortmax posted:

I found a big ol' bumble bee! It was very excited about these flowers. So Mak0rz, what is it?
(Central Arkansas)

Not a bumble bee at all! It's an eastern carpenter bee, Xylocopa virginica. This one's male. You can tell from the big goofy goggle eyes.

Sort of a general rule for bumblers vs. carpenters: if there's a hairless patch on the abdomen, then it's probably a carpenter.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Thanks! I guess carpenter bees are really calm too, because this one didn't seem to mind me getting fairly close for pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

vortmax posted:

Thanks! I guess carpenter bees are really calm too, because this one didn't seem to mind me getting fairly close for pictures.

Females are chill in general. Males can be territorial at times and try to get in your face, but they can't hurt you as male hymenoptera don't have stings.