Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tender Bender posted:

I guess if I saw the movie I would understand why it's not uncomfortable to make your audience think about a bull cumming during a scifi kids movie.

There was a cereal commercial from like a decade ago that did the same joke. It's not a new joke or one restricted to adult audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

*on my knees reading a prepared statement into the camera as a Power Ranger holds a gun to my head*

I have come to respect and appreciate the Bull Cumming Joke.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I didn't say it was a good joke. At least it wasn't a dog ejaculating into an éclair joke like in Van Wilder.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
They gotta save something for the sequel.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

If Bibs gets red and naked online over movie podcasts missing plot points I hope he's never listened to How Did This Get Made or he'd go Scanners.

I stopped listening to HDTGM after the paywall bullshit, but most of the movies they covered were bad and often incomprehensible.

For its faults, the Power Rangers movie ain't either.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MisterBibs posted:

I stopped listening to HDTGM after the paywall bullshit, but most of the movies they covered were bad and often incomprehensible.

Whoa, what paywall bullshit? I quit listening to that podcast once it shifted to being like 90% live episodes that were 90% crowdwork. They decided they could charge for that?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Whoa, what paywall bullshit? I quit listening to that podcast once it shifted to being like 90% live episodes that were 90% crowdwork. They decided they could charge for that?

No, the paywall is for episodes older than 6 months or maybe a year. It doesn't effect you if you don't listen to older episodes. It's still 90% live episodes though.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

duz posted:

No, the paywall is for episodes older than 6 months or maybe a year. It doesn't effect you if you don't listen to older episodes. It's still 90% live episodes though.

Those were the good ones :smith:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Anything past 6mo old now is locked away. They announced it a year in advance, or something, but didn't say anything else until the day where everything older went away.

I think I read that they did some changes, but whatever. I was kinda over the show anyway, just because the movies they were covering weren't motivating enough to actually listen to. It's a problem I have with WHM, sometimes, too.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 28, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't really care what movie a movie podcast is covering, the one's I keep listening too are entertaining regardless. Which is why I quit listening to HDTGM, because not even a good movie for the podcast could save their tired poo poo.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I gave HDTGM a shot a few months ago and turned it off halfway through. It just felt like they were shouting over each other to get their jokes in constantly and it had no real flow. Like they all just pre-wrote their gags and were fighting over who get to talk.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

I don't really care what movie a movie podcast is covering, the one's I keep listening too are entertaining regardless. Which is why I quit listening to HDTGM, because not even a good movie for the podcast could save their tired poo poo.

I stay a lot more engaged when it's a movie I've seen or was at least aware of at the time it came out - the really deep cuts of 80s schlock horror usually don't do much for me. But man, that podcast went from "pull over the car to keep from crashing during this laughing fit" to "I forgot what movie they were even supposed to be talking about" so fast.

The Fast & the Furious franchise episodes were my favorite, until the Fast 7 (Furious 7? 7 Fast 7 Furious?) episode when June suddenly decided to pretend she couldn't remember having seen any of the previous ones. You can't do a bad movie podcast and act too good for bad movies.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What killed HDTGM for me wasn't so much the live episodes (although that was a huge part), but June's seeming inability to understand any movie she saw.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Tender Bender posted:

The image of Brian Cranston lying in the mud babbling alien language, a kids/teen film opening with a character jerking off a bull, etc. 

You've never seen a movie aimed at kids/teens that snuck in humor for the parents? Lego Batman is aimed at an even younger audience and filled with them.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

Half an hour in, and they are completely lost on a basic sexting plot point. Did they really need that explained more, or was that a joke?

E: and they entirely think a character who leaves the house, starting the plot, does so because his parents were arguing about him, has only a father.

I'm beginning to wonder if they were drinking tall glasses of water while watching this. "Why didn't they call down to see if people down there are OK?" Because the scene starts with people down there saying they were OK.

-Kenny G

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
HANG UP ON HIM

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody wants to see fighting and robots in a power rangers movie, these guys are crazy.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

What killed HDTGM for me wasn't so much the live episodes (although that was a huge part), but June's seeming inability to understand any movie she saw.

Yeah and it's not like she's stupid. It was just this gimmick they took way way too far.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

weekly font posted:

If Bibs gets red and naked online over movie podcasts missing plot points I hope he's never listened to How Did This Get Made or he'd go Scanners.

listening to How Did This Get Made makes *me* want to go Scanners.

I am looking less forward to "The Disaster Artist" since finding out those unfunny numbskulls were involved.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I lost interest in HDTGM when they kept telling everyone a variation of "Oh, I watched this movie on a VHS camcorder eyepiece at 3 in the morning and also I was drunk" and "I saw half of this movie on a modified pocket pager screen because I was taking micronaps every 10 minutes".

How loving hard can it be to watch a movie from beginning to end on a piece of modern technology and then make fun of that movie on the internet? These runtimes aren't exactly the Directors Cut of The Abyss.

It got to the point where the only thing I enjoyed were Jason Mantzoukas' interactions with the guests and/or the live crowds.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

weekly font posted:

I tried listening to 2 episodes of that and the willful stupidity was so overwhelming that I switched to the Flophouse and WHM.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I like HDTGM as well as WHM. Both are fun in their own ways.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Jason Mantzoukas is a funny guy. I could not get into HDTGM at all

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Much like Flop House, HDTGM is way too focused on humor and not enough on the premise of the dang show. I could never follow the plot of the movie from either of those shows (not originally with Flop House but basically around the time the letter song became way too prevalent), and I've never had that problem with WHM.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I finished it and Elizabeth Banks covered in dirt eats hobo tooth fillings and gold jewelry to create a gold monster, and you're defending this movie.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Tender Bender posted:

I finished it and Elizabeth Banks covered in dirt eats hobo tooth fillings and gold jewelry to create a gold monster, and you're defending this movie.

I didn't see it but that sounds awesome.

All the gritty and edgy stuff can gently caress off.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Nouvelle Vague posted:

All the gritty and edgy stuff can gently caress off.

It's honestly only gritty or edgy if you're comparing it to stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1j_x6u2pb4

Otherwise it's a really tame compared to stuff like the modern Transformers or Ninja Turtle movies.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Chris Sims has been recapping the original show and Japanese original is pretty gritty in that anime way.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

That sounds awesome though? :confused:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gonz posted:

It got to the point where the only thing I enjoyed were Jason Mantzoukas' interactions with the guests and/or the live crowds.

Mantzoukas is really key to that show. He's the only one of them I'd call funny, really. Scheer just comes across like a potential kidnapper and JDR just seems like she sleeps through everything and still shows up to podcast with basically zero understanding of the films.

The amount of effort they put in is super low (barely watch the movies, almost never make notes, horrid audio quality) just makes it feel like a rushjob. The paywall and constant ads just make it seem like a cashgrab. Particularly frustrating as they're all professional entertainers who probably aren't exactly hard up for cash. Amateurs routinely put out better produced content. HDTGM just seems lazy. If it didn't have a star as funny as Mantzoukas it'd be worth zero time. I get that they're busy with their 'real jobs' and families, but if they want HDTGM to be an income stream they should budget more than 3 hours per week to do so. Also it was really confusing on NTSF:SD:SUV:: where Scheer wears a wig - I thought the hair and the teeth were fake, turns out he's just a freaky looking dude.

edit: also Mantzoukas on Brooklyn Nine-Nine is potentially one of the most entertaining returning guest stars in any TV show.

well why not fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 29, 2017

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I hate live episodes of almost any podcast. It completely throws off the flow and conversational nature of the podcasts and you have people playing to the audience instead of just riffing on each other and making each other crack up. For an example of how much better non-live episodes are, listen to the HDTGM Pete Holmes episode of 88 Minutes where they're cracking each other up and egging each other on to get more and more ridiculous. Then listen to the live episode he's in for Can't Stop The Music where everyone is just talking over each other or giving up on jokes because the audience isn't reacting. It doesn't help that the HDTGM audience is very cringe-worthy and you can feel how much Jason hates them and wants them to die in most episodes.

I miss the non-live HDTGM episode dynamic. Thank goodness for WHM.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

Yup, because it's an enjoyable movie that they would've missed why she was stealing gold because they were using the bathroom or missed the line because they were writing down a joke about the previous scene.

Oh, and that joke is predicated on missing what happens in that scene, too. I like the podcast as much as the next guy, but not all their episodes are winners. This one wasn't.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 29, 2017

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

It's honestly only gritty or edgy if you're comparing it to stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1j_x6u2pb4

Otherwise it's a really tame compared to stuff like the modern Transformers or Ninja Turtle movies.

I wouldn't call Ninja Turtles "gritty" or "edgy" either.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

Yup, because it's an enjoyable movie that they would've missed why she was stealing gold because they were using the bathroom or missed the line because they were writing down a joke about the previous scene.

Mom, get in here!

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I'm amused that the AV Club's Podmass comment section has started to go to bat for HDTGM while slamming WHM for making jokes about Trump and Alex Jones.

WHM, a podcast with actual bits and jokes, and HDTGM with???

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Apes-Ma posted:

I'm amused that the AV Club's Podmass comment section has started to go to bat for HDTGM while slamming WHM for making jokes about Trump and Alex Jones.

Jason breaking forums rules by telling us what movies he jerks off to.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Corek posted:

Mom, get in here!

Can't believe they didn't realize Rita Repulsa was making parademons

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Apes-Ma posted:

that one No Holds Barred episode with "GIVE ME YOUR BABY"?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Deleter posted:

That sounds awesome though? :confused:

It does sound awesome and also sounds like part of a clusterfuck combined with the rest of the movie. It seems like Banks' scenes are from the movie they should have made.

MisterBibs posted:

Oh, and that joke is predicated on missing what happens in that scene, too. I like the podcast as much as the next guy, but not all their episodes are winners. This one wasn't.

It sounds like you don't like this episode because you liked this movie and wanted to hear the Bad Movie Podcast praise it for 90 minutes instead of make fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

It sounds like you don't like this episode because you liked this movie and wanted to hear the Bad Movie Podcast praise it for 90 minutes instead of make fun of it.

Nope, it's pretty much what I said before: the Bad Movie Podcast Guys weren't paying attention to a rather simple movie. If you're confused by a basic sexting plot, it's not the movie that hosed up.

Maybe I just expect more competence in my podcasts than you.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 29, 2017