Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's really surprising how effective that simple animation was. Atmosphere is hard to pull off in an engine like this but man, sometimes it just works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
That was

nice

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

it was nice horizontal mario

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

So, that level has a little bit of an interesting history.

In VLDC7, Hostel was a level which attempted to make horror work in SMW. It was long, difficult, grueling, and hated.

VLDC8 also had an Hostel. It was... pretty good, and needs to be seen and not described with words.

And this is the third iteration of it. Each level kept chunks of the previous one to create continuity.

Also, good job on that last part in the normal exit. If you don't get it exactly right, it quickly becomes very punishing and annoying, even though I loved the level. It goes on a bit too long.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I see nice things going on.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Stink Terios posted:

VLDC8 also had an Hostel. It was... pretty good, and needs to be seen and not described with words.

Having just looked this up, I'm not sure words exist that are capable of describing VLDC8's iteration of Hostel. :staredog:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How did that Boo in the dark area work? Some kind of background animation, you said, but could you explain further?

Also, how does a "nice" sound effect qualify as "vanilla"? I get that the music's all custom but that seems excusable given that SMW's soundtrack is pretty played out at this point, but sound effects?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Having just looked this up, I'm not sure words exist that are capable of describing VLDC8's iteration of Hostel. :staredog:

It was nice.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

I can't find it could you link a video

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

lets hang out posted:

I can't find it could you link a video

Literally just go on Youtube and search for "vldc8 hostel".

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Literally just go on Youtube and search for "vldc8 hostel".

I just did that and got no obviously correct results.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Here, a Raocow playthrough of it. I didn't find a good link of it alone, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWACOq2Z4WU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Clearly that Hotel was made by Woodman.

nice

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Something nice Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Return of the nice

I genuinely like the positive reinforcement though. Even if it is just a meme, it feels good to be told you're doing things nicely. And that nice at the end just clinched it for me. It's funny and it feels good, this is a nice meme.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Those Triangle wall runs at the end of the normal route looked like they'd be really awkward.

Watching this has made me want to get better at Mario World.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

After we finished the level I had the realization that I probably would've been less happy about it if I hadn't done the entire post-midpoint section in one life because yeah, when editing the footage those were some tough jumps.

We did a shorter recording session tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to get them edited and ready for posting before I leave town for the weekend. If not, the next video will probably go up early next week.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

FPzero posted:

It's really surprising how effective that simple animation was. Atmosphere is hard to pull off in an engine like this but man, sometimes it just works.

You say you can't jump on the bats, but you just did in the video. Also that's Michael Rosen's "nice". He's a meme.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
In addition to the bat ceiling, there were also some regular swoopers thrown in. You can hear the sound effect they use when they drop down. Those guys are perfectly safe to jump on and have a slightly different sprite.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Watching the VLDC, it occurs to me that I've never once seriously, or even actually, designed a 2D platforming level. I've done quite a number of others maps for other types of games, but never 2D platformer, which is weird when I consider how often I play them.

It's often because I've had to program my owns games that the challenge present themselves in working out the physics of platforming itself. Figuring out the problems of what constitutes an interesting level from both an aesthetics and gameplay angle combined is an issue I've never even had the chance to brush up against. It's now to the point where I'd wonder how to even go about such a thing. A lot of trade literature about level design I've read applies more to 3D environments or even Zelda-style top-down, which coincidentally is the most of what I've done thus far. Stage-angle 2D doesn't have anywhere near the same affordances, so I'm wondering how different it must be.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kurui Reiten posted:

Here, a Raocow playthrough of it. I didn't find a good link of it alone, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWACOq2Z4WU

i hate his loving stupid voice

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

Wh-What do you mean that's the actual plot?!

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, I just watched that video and I gotta say, not my cup of tea.I much prefer FPzero's laid back and informative commentary to... whatever that was.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

you have no soul.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

you have no soul.

Neither does Raocow.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

All Canadians sound like that actually

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kurui Reiten posted:

Neither does Raocow.

but that's because raocow is an adorable robot

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 8 - We Get It, You Vape :siren:

Special guest Keyboard_Vomit joins us as we partake in the finer arts. We're very highly cultured.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Whit27 posted:

Yeah, I just watched that video and I gotta say, not my cup of tea.I much prefer FPzero's laid back and informative commentary to... whatever that was.
He seems very... rambunctious. I imagine that kind of high-energy commentary appeals to some people, though.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Commander Keene posted:

He seems very... rambunctious. I imagine that kind of high-energy commentary appeals to some people, though.

Yeah, raocow's a bit of an acquired taste commentary-wise. His early LPs were a bit more low-key, though.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

please be more considerate.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

that ivy guy posted:

please be more considerate.

How would you even do this?

"I intensely dislike his uneducated voice, said voice being in the middle of a sexual intercourse."?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

Special guest Keyboard_Vomit joins us as we partake in the finer arts. We're very highly cultured.

He's not a bad gambler! I mean, he's rich enough to afford the world's only airship. Setzer doesn't take you along because he's a bad gambler, he takes you along because he respects the fact that he got outsmarted twice (once via lookalike & once via two-headed coin) & the sheer balls it took to even try such a zany scheme.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

liquidypoo posted:

20 years later and that opera scene still gets me misty-eyed. Yeah, I'll say it.

Also I appreciate Square putting in sprite poses for all the characters even though you'll never see some of them through the normal course of the game.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Chapter 4 of Midori, we've got two newcomers this time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/Ktr4ks/status/847528051776909313

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That Sonic hack looks amazing! I knew they had broken open the whole engine but I never expected to see something like that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

That Sonic hack looks amazing! I knew they had broken open the whole engine but I never expected to see something like that.

So wait, it's a Sonic hack and not a Yoshi's Island hack?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yep. Sonic hacking has access to the entire ROM/RAM maps. It's a full split-disassembly. Basically, this allows them to theoretically do anything they want to the game because the entire thing is documented. Also, the assembly language used on the Genesis is apparently a little bit easier to work with than the SNES.

That said, Lunar Magic is still a way better tool to use than any level editors for Sonic hacking. For a while, you had to know assembly to do anything at all to a Sonic game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The problem with level editors for Sonic games is that it's a lot more work on a technical level to put a Sonic level together than it ever was to do an SMW level, and there isn't really a good way for editors to simplify the process.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Super Jay Mann posted:

The problem with level editors for Sonic games is that it's a lot more work on a technical level to put a Sonic level together than it ever was to do an SMW level, and there isn't really a good way for editors to simplify the process.

Is this just due to the generally higher speed of Sonic requring the levels to be much larger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Let's Play Super Metroid: Eris (2012 edition)

What is it?

As the name implies, Super Metroid: Eris is a Super Metroid hack. It was created by DigitalMantra and is probably the most artistically impressive hack out there. Super Metroid has a vast tileset and effects library which has been put to some extremely creative uses here; the hack author also made numerous graphical edits, which are almost entirely seamless with the original art. The result is a highly atmospheric hack with numerous distinct and characterful environments. The hack also has a few minor changes to the game engine, the most notable being that you can start spinning in midair without having to touch ground again.

The challenge level is mostly pretty reasonable, but it can be uneven at parts, especially in the early part of the game before Samus can gear up a bit. In particular, the second and third bossfights are punishingly lethal and have limited room to maneuver. This is also a hack that expects you to have full control of Samus; you don't need to pull off any glitches, but you do need to be able to walljump and midair morph.

Finally, this is the 2012 edition of the hack. Compared to the original edition (published in 2009, I believe), some items and barriers have been moved around to tweak the item sequence, and a few small areas were added. I don't think there's a good reason to play the 2009 version at this point, in particular because it leads with a lengthy suitless underwater section.

What's the LP going to be?

This is a video LP, with subtitles showing Samus' thought processes (vaguely similar to Freeman's Mind, if not quite so deranged). Subtitles are provided via YouTube's closed-captioning/subtitles system, so make sure to turn them on by clicking on the "CC" icon (or don't, if you want a "silent" LP).

Full disclosure: I abused savestates mercilessly for this run, just to keep things going smoothly. If you like, imagine Samus dying over and over again during the aforementioned boss fights, and a few times during exploration. It happened, but I see no reason to subject you to watching Samus repeatedly walk back from the save station. You won't ever see me actually save or load state, though; that's all been excised through movie magic (read: I recorded the controller input, TAS-style, then made an encode of the playthrough).

Part 1: Eris Colony

Part 2: The Hardest Fight in the Game

Part 3: The R2-D2 Problem

Part 4: Quantum Thermodynamics

Part 5: Cuteness Through Murder

Part 6: I'm Going to Blow This Planet Up

Part 7: One Small Problem

Part 8: Ol' Face Ship

Part 9: Get Paid First

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 1, 2017

• Locked thread