Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Why did he name the game after his username?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Daric posted:

I enjoy watching TimTheTatman stream with LETSGOCHAMP cus Tim constantly lies to Champ about how many people he's killed, what he's found, etc. It's hilarious. And neither of them can drive the cars so when they get in squads, the other 2 people they're playing with are constantly subjected to Tim driving off cliffs and getting stuck on rocks.

I was watching from Sacriel's stream when he played with them. He was teaching them how to play, but got so pissed off at champ, he ended up muting him halfway through the game. He later had to unmute him because they were down to the two of them and Champ went rambo-berserko and took out two 4-man squads.

I had one of my better runs where I lucked into finding a boat early, was vaguely lucky with the circle, got some decent gear from novorepno - I was left to loot in peace and got the best gear so far. Was really hoping that the circle would come down to the military base, but it didn't. So I died to the circle while swimming north. Got a rare kill first at least. Still seems most of the time when I die, I don't see the guy at all.

nopantsjack posted:

I guess he is known for his BR work, and wanted to stamp his seal on this one.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I think PU is supposed to be famous for inventing this type of game mode.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Today I learned that shotguns can punch holes through doors, much to my delight and the guy hiding in the bathroom's horror.

Did you follow him in or just guess?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

You basically can't hill peak anyone because of the grass if you don't turn foliage down. Good luck.

I imagine this will get fixed soon but what an odd thing for the guy who made his name through ArmA of all games to overlook.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Today I learned that shotguns can punch holes through doors, much to my delight and the guy hiding in the bathroom's horror.

All guns can do that and it's way more satisfying to chew the door apart with an AKM :smug:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Olewithmilk posted:

I think PU is supposed to be famous for inventing this type of game mode.

Did you follow him in or just guess?

I chased him into a building and he ran into the bathroom and hid, thinking I would have to go around the door to peek him.

Nah

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

nopantsjack posted:

It's like TOMCLANCYS if TOMCLANCY actually made a game himself.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I don't want to play this game, but it's sure as poo poo entertaining to watch.

Boat Wars! - Slight noise warning

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpookyOutstandingMosquitoFloof

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

AndrewP posted:

I imagine this will get fixed soon but what an odd thing for the guy who made his name through ArmA of all games to overlook.

I mean not to rag on PU or anything but it's not like he is really a programmer or made the engine. There is a Korean studio developing this, and he is telling them what to do. The foliage texture issue is an issue with Unreal, and I'm sure he wants to fix it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I had no idea that PlayerUnknown was an actual person, I had assumed that it was the typical monkeycheese name that gets slapped on things

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
He's the American Mcgee of 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Fair enough.

also I don't actually care but goddamn they are stingy with the reward crates, I probably get like 60 points a game because I suck and when I finally get a crate it's one lousy red t-shirt. gee, thanks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The crates reset each week

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

AndrewP posted:

Fair enough.

also I don't actually care but goddamn they are stingy with the reward crates, I probably get like 60 points a game because I suck and when I finally get a crate it's one lousy red t-shirt. gee, thanks.

Get good. The biggest thing new people try to do is kill too much, which is a horrible idea when you suck at shooting. It's best to wait for ideal moments, for example sneaking up to the building a guy is in and then gunning him down when he leaves. If you take shots at someone in the distance, you're telling all of the aggressive players in half a in "hey come gently caress me." So don't shoot if you don't have someone caught in the open, unless you really have to. This may not even result in more kills, but you'll survive longer while everyone else wipes each other out and you get more points.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I had no idea that PlayerUnknown was an actual person, I had assumed that it was the typical monkeycheese name that gets slapped on things

Yeah, he's a real guy, I met him at PAX and talked to him for a little while. Seemed nice and normal enough, but you can tell he doesn't create most of the content just give direction. Take, for example, the running with SMG animation, its straight out of an anime or every other Korean f2p shooter, not tacticool at all.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

NickBlasta posted:

It's like TOMCLANCYS if TOMCLANCY actually made a game himself.

THIS. I don't know why so many people think this game is called "Playerunknown" or even worse I see people say "playerunknow." The name of the game is Battlegrounds. It's "made by" Playerunknown.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wait, so he an actual successful ideas guy? That's pretty cool.

You can sell the items in the crates too, got a few nice items so far.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Get good. The biggest thing new people try to do is kill too much, which is a horrible idea when you suck at shooting. It's best to wait for ideal moments, for example sneaking up to the building a guy is in and then gunning him down when he leaves. If you take shots at someone in the distance, you're telling all of the aggressive players in half a in "hey come gently caress me." So don't shoot if you don't have someone caught in the open, unless you really have to. This may not even result in more kills, but you'll survive longer while everyone else wipes each other out and you get more points.

"STOP TRYING TO KILL PEOPLE" should be in flashing red text at the start of every new player tutorial for this game.

Can't speak for Duo or Squad much (though I just won in a random Squad game), but in Solo staying alive is way better than trying to kill people. You might be a super aim mutant in which case go nuts, but the average Battlefield or Counterstrike player is gonna get wrecked trying to run and gun, or take bad shots in the open. I've basically ditched grabbing two rifles which I see a ton of people still running with, and I think at this point I have more UMP kills than anything. Ambushes at short range are the equalizer in this game.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

beejay posted:

I don't know why

Because having your games name in ALLCAPS and adding your own name in ALLCAPS in front of it is retarded. And if you are a new player that never heard of this person(which is a stupid nick in the first place for indicating to be a username), the game title simple is "Player unknown battlegrounds."

//Worst game name in my steam library by a mile.

Paradigmata fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 29, 2017

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Paradigmata posted:

Because having your games name in ALLCAPS and adding your own name in ALLCAPS in front of it is retarded. And if you are a new player that never heard of this person(which is a stupid nick in the first place for indicating to be a username), the game title simple is "Player unknown battlegrounds."

//Worst game name in my steam library by a mile.

Nice meltdown.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why cant i remind crouch to its proper key? (control)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Well, unfortunately "Battlegrounds" is an awful name in itself, so putting PU in front of it is better than nothing. You should also probably just get past the name of the game, and you know play it. It's fun.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this game in one sequence:

An incredibly thrilling moment - hiding out in a room in a house, hearing a car pull up to a seemingly empty house and having your shotgun trained right at the door you know he's about to open. He's dead and he doesn't even know it yet.

Followed by getting shot while trying to take his car because the game refuses to register that I am pressing "F" next to it.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
The Unknown God giveth, and he taketh away

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Whatup, longest kill?

A buddy of mine was somehow creditted for a 2.7km grenade kill, though. So... uhhh.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Should not have gotten away with this kill.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I watched DrDisrespect a bit last night, and his schtick is kinda take it or leave it (and wtf is with the wig), but I have to admit this did give me a little laugh.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdbloodedColdPorpoisePJSalt

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I do that jump down all the time, its way faster and you hardly take any damage. I actually once camped that landing once, during beta, when the circle closed on the apartment complex. It was pretty awesome, no one had any idea where I was.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
yo my dudes how do i traverse giant swaths of no mans land without a vehicle or scoped weapon to defend against hill wookies? My last handful of deaths have involved me being picked off from afar by some invisible spirit.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

buglord posted:

yo my dudes how do i traverse giant swaths of no mans land without a vehicle or scoped weapon to defend against hill wookies? My last handful of deaths have involved me being picked off from afar by some invisible spirit.

Plan ahead better. If you're really stuck out there, it can be really tough. Some strategies involve moving when others' are engaged in fire fights and when it's really bad, toss some smoke grenades. A lot of people forget those exist. Unfortunately, the map design is rather bland, so there are no sprawling lines of bush cover or random stone walls in fields.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Sometimes you get screwed by circle RNG and it's unavoidable, unfortunately. You can plan ahead though, and put yourself in a position that is likely to mean you get some cover when moving inwards, or try and be the guy on the hill instead of the guy running across the field. However, lots of areas in the game are flat and have no cover, and there are going to be times when you're stuck in one of them with little choice but to run across.

hooligan
Jun 15, 2001

Arrogant Dutch Fuckwit.
Really loving this game. It has been a while since I've been enjoying a game this much. Mostly I'm playing in a squad of 3 people with friends.

I mostly end up in the high-rise buildings next to the school, pretty much in the middle of the map. This gives me a bit of an advantage since I'm close or inside the circle most of the time and it is a perfect place to pick off people on lower rooftops and at the nearby school. When you do have to run, you still have great tree cover all around.

I'm a big Arma 3 player who has been closely involved with mods such as Exile and Epoch and have been playing Battle Royale with my fiancé a lot. I will get her a copy this week and she will be a great addition to our 3 man team. Opened a few crates so far and got 2 padded jackets, nice little advantage to my inventory space!

Ended up second last night. Really did not see the guy creeping up behind me.. slammed my desk with my mouse... Anyone got a tip for a good new gaming mouse? :(

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

why cant i remind crouch to its proper key? (control)

I have it bound. The issue is that every single action needs to be bound to a key. Making ctrl be crouch made the action that was previously bound to ctrl be empty. It doesn't let you save your changes until you fix that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

beejay posted:

THIS. I don't know why so many people think this game is called "Playerunknown" or even worse I see people say "playerunknow." The name of the game is Battlegrounds. It's "made by" Playerunknown.

Excuse you, the name of the game is PLAYER UNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS please don't disrespect PLAYER UNKNOWN by dismissing the style.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
The biggest enemy in this game is not trying to gently caress up using the iron sights and ending up with third person.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

The biggest enemy in the game is a sniper 3 miles away from you corner peaking through a window for 45 minutes until you run past and he blows your brains out of your level 1 helmet.

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014
Anyone know if groups of 3s in squad get matched with groups of 4?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Molchane posted:

Anyone know if groups of 3s in squad get matched with groups of 4?

They seem to, because I've solo queued for Squad and got put with 3 guys in Teamspeak together. I think the only groupings is solo, two and four.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

They seem to, because I've solo queued for Squad and got put with 3 guys in Teamspeak together. I think the only groupings is solo, two and four.

I'm not entirely sure about that, I've had two separate occasions where I played with two friends and we just got matched as a 3-people squad straightaway. Though of course it could just be that the matchmaker didn't find a fourth guy for us in time and just went "gently caress it" :shrug:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Perestroika posted:

I'm not entirely sure about that, I've had two separate occasions where I played with two friends and we just got matched as a 3-people squad straightaway. Though of course it could just be that the matchmaker didn't find a fourth guy for us in time and just went "gently caress it" :shrug:

Keep in mind that ideally you'll have 25 teams and 100 players, but often only 97 or so start the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Got my first win last night in squads, queued as 3 and landed in Pochinko(sp?) along with a grip of other players, we all got lucky and got shotties in our respective buildings and cleared the town house by house and luckily the playzone was centered on our town. Heard gunfire over a hill after the third time the playzone shrank, ran to it and killed 2 squads fighting eachother with our M4s we picked up in town. Almost all of them had SKS' so we nabbed those and threw on some 4x, running back to our hidy-holes one of us got taken out, so the 2 of us remaining just used our newfound SKS' to pop people running to the city to escape the shield.
Ending kills: squadmate: 7
Me: 5
Squadmate: 1

That was my story thank you for reading

• Locked thread