Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The download icon is in the top right corner. If you go to the iTunes preferences, you can turn off automatic downloads as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've asked before, but do podcasts not have the 'now playing' icon next to them anymore? Mine's been missing for the past few osx/itunes updates and the problem persisted through a completely clean installation.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

IUG posted:

The download icon is in the top right corner. If you go to the iTunes preferences, you can turn off automatic downloads as well.

Its only there when something is downloading though. If I initiate a download, the button appears, and the downloads screen only shows that thing I told itunes to download.

Automatic downloads ARE disabled and she isnt even signed in to itunes with her account.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god stop loving with the mini player. They removed the quick 5-star rating a while ago, but now the player looks like dogshit. A progress bar with huge font. Get the gently caress outta here.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
12.6 seems to be a minor revision but the installer is dozens of megabytes larger. Any idea what that's about?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

WattsvilleBlues posted:

12.6 seems to be a minor revision but the installer is dozens of megabytes larger. Any idea what that's about?

They changed the layout of the miniplayer, maybe it's all the new resources for that

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh my god stop loving with the mini player. They removed the quick 5-star rating a while ago, but now the player looks like dogshit. A progress bar with huge font. Get the gently caress outta here.

I noticed that the music player on my iphone doesn't allow star ratings anymore, have they done away with them completely now, or just made them more difficult to access? I ain't upgrading mine to find out (12.4.1.6)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They're back in the beat of iOS 10.3. Of course, you have to go to the "..." button, then tap Rate Song on the menu that pops up before you can enter them. I don't know why they took just tapping the album artwork.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Songs that show up as Matched are moving to my phone just fine, but songs that list as Uploaded aren't working worth a poo poo, it's not uploading the whole song. The songs sound fine on the computer. What gives?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jackpot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 28, 2017

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Anyone having issues with podcasts? I can't download episodes from anything I'm not subscribed to. I click the Get button and nothing happens. I can stream them, but I don't want to do that.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

windows 10.

my library's huge. part local, part cloud. whenever i try to switch between any of my playlists or library sections, itunes freezes. songs keep playing, but i cannot select, scroll, or tell itunes to do anything. this happens about 95% of the time. sometimes it unfreezes after a minute or two. regardless, what i found is i can always unfreeze it by minimizing itunes, then maximizing it. works like a charm after that...until i switch between any of my playlists or library sections again.

what does that tell you about the root of my freezes? it tells me there's some wrong about the visuals. maybe itunes is less at fault than my video card? my drivers are up-to-date. any logs i can check out?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 30, 2017

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I had a similar problem with a past computer, and that turned out to be a dying hard drive. I can only imagine that your part cloud part hard drive setup is driving the problem.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Four of my podcast feeds have split with one individual episode per podcast being the only outlier. Is there anything I can do?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Man, why do they change the "play next" list with every update. Now on Windows it's super awkward where you have to scroll down for one song to see it whereas before it didn't have a scrollbar at all. And also now if you mouse over any of the songs on the list a big blue "X" with a white circular background covers the entire album art and before it was just a tiny "x" in the corner.

Minor complaints I guess but just.. why?

E: Actual problem: My library is in iCloud, I use iTunes Match on my Windows PC but iTunes won't play certain songs. There are albums and songs I've bought from iTunes Store that iTunes tries to play while on shuffle but skips them after a second or two. Same when I try to manually play them. When I try to download the song, it gives me an error message (-206) and tells me to check my internet connection. This seems to be a problem with some purchased songs/albums only. I've tried to reauthorize my computer but it just says, obviously, that the computer is already authorized. :confused:

The songs play fine on other devices.

E2: Nevermind, just had to go to my purchases and redownload the tracks. Leaving this here in case anyone else has the issue/as a monument to my own stupidity.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 4, 2017

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Anyone have this problem using Apple Music on iPhone?

An album will release songs ahead of its release (this has happened to me before, but this weekend it's Pure Comedy). I'll download them. Then when the full album comes out, I click to download the entire album and it starts to... then doesn't. I get that it might be buggy at midnight Thursday when it drops but 48 hours later it's still giving me this problem. Already tried removing the album and redownloading... doesn't work. Just lets me download those same pre-release songs and nothing else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Krazyface posted:

Anyone having issues with podcasts? I can't download episodes from anything I'm not subscribed to. I click the Get button and nothing happens. I can stream them, but I don't want to do that.

I'm having the same issue. Are you running the beta or on the release client?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have advice on a program I can use to get my songs off an old iPhone? I have a bunch of MP3s from old CDs on my last iPhone, but since I bought a new phone and computer (and trusted the Apple Store folks to use the iCloud backup to move stuff to the new phone, rather than using a hard backup...) I don't have the songs on either new device. I know I could just dig up my old laptop and do some magic with a library transfer, but I'm only 75% sure I can find both that laptop and a working power cable, whereas I 100% have the old phone and a USB cable for it.

(I tried using iExplorer's free mode and just accepting that it'll take me a week of 10 songs at a time, 1 transfer per minute, when I remember to alt-tab and load a new transfer) but iExplorer decided to gently caress up the transfer and move the first 15 seconds of every song to the end of the song. So that's out. And I didn't want to pay $40 to get all the songs.

EDIT: It looks like Sharepod has done what I need. Hopefully no problems!

EDIT 2: poo poo, it locks me at 50 song transfers if I don't pay. Bah.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 11, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Try https://m.en.softonic.com/app/i-funbox

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks. That's much better once I figured out where music files are stored.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Has anyone ever had any of their iTunes store purchases removed after buying them? A movie I had in my wish list was removed from the store (I'm guessing licensing issues) and it reminded me of stories of people who would buy something and then lose access to it if it's removed from the store. (http://danhon.com/2013/02/13/dont-trust-itunes-movies-in-the-cloud/) I know this happened with some Disney and Pixar movies in the past, and Disney reworked their license agreement so people who purchased the movies could still watch them. I know you're supposed to download your purchases since you can't lose access to the MP4 file if it's on your system, but I don't want to download like 80 movies and use up all of that space on things I watch like once a year.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I bought a single, had the single deleted, and had the single not transfer over when the album became available. It hasn't happened often, but I was... frustrated when it happened.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there any price-tracking resources for media in the iTunes store? I know about AppShopper for apps, but I was wondering about music (and I guess movies/etc).
Do they just never really have sales outside of the occasional "Essential Summer Albums for $6.99" kind of deal?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any way to do a search on the itunes store that is more detailed/powerful than the default one? I've been using this link but it seems to have stopped working in the last month or so, nothing seems to be listed past late April

https://www.wired.com/2014/04/itunes-store-hidden-search/

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Violator posted:

Has anyone ever had any of their iTunes store purchases removed after buying them? A movie I had in my wish list was removed from the store (I'm guessing licensing issues) and it reminded me of stories of people who would buy something and then lose access to it if it's removed from the store. (http://danhon.com/2013/02/13/dont-trust-itunes-movies-in-the-cloud/) I know this happened with some Disney and Pixar movies in the past, and Disney reworked their license agreement so people who purchased the movies could still watch them. I know you're supposed to download your purchases since you can't lose access to the MP4 file if it's on your system, but I don't want to download like 80 movies and use up all of that space on things I watch like once a year.

Yes it's happened to me several times with music. Buy an album, six months or a year later I go to redownload it and its not in my purchases. Check the store afterwards and it's not available for purchase anymore. Occasionally even weirder stuff will happen where it's in my purchases but half the tracks are gone. I noticed Ministry's 'Rio Grande Blood' had tracks missing and checking the store afterwards they're selling it missing 3 tracks now? The amazon mp3 and CD versions are fine so who loving knows.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Is there any way to edit your ipod's contents on another computer, without making that computer your new itunes/music library home?

I have itunes installed, my ipod is connected, and I want to just edit some album art, all on my non-home computer. The edits show in itunes, but I can't figure out how to transfer them to my ipod without wiping the ipod because it will detect that none of my music is on this comp.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What's an iPod.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
It lets you upload your 8-tracks to the cloud.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I think I posted on here a long time ago about album art problems in iTunes, but it just became an issue again for some reason.

Heres a recap of my old problem, which I thought I had fixed: I download a lot of mp3s from a service that uses disgustingly low-res album art. After I download them and import them into iTunes, I couldn't seem to change the album art to the hi-res versions. If I "Get Info" and delete the old image and insert the h-res image, it doesn't seem to actually save the new image in the tags of the mp3 file. I never could figure out how to make it work, so my solution finally was to delete all of the downloaded files, delete the album art via "get info," re-download the matched iTunes copies (I use iTunes Match), and then get the hi-res album art. This process successfully saves the new image in the mp3 m4a files! It doesn't work with files that don't match, but that's a minority.

I thought this was fixed, until now.

I've noticed that iTunes has started displaying the old album art again, even though the new album art appears to be there. Occasionally it will show the new, hi-res art, but most of the time it doesn't. I have no idea what makes it switch. Also, when I stream my music onto my iPhone/iPad, it always displays the old low-res album art.

How do I force iTunes to completely forget the old album art images and only use the new ones? Is this something to do with iTunes Match? Should I just not use iTunes?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are you sure you got every song in the album changed? Other than that, maybe delete the cache folder in your ~/Library folder?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm trying to help my dad move his music from one PC to another and ITunes has once again secured the top spot of worst software.

He has iTunes Match and iCloud. His new computer doesn't have a big enough drive for his music so he's doing to keep it on a file server. While attempting a previous method of migrating, the cloud got screwed up and an incomplete record from the new computer got synced to the cloud. It then downloaded that onto the old computer so I had him restore to an old library since it screwed up all his playlists.

Now I just copied the whole iTunes folder to the server and after uninstalling everything from the new PC, I did the Shift open to choose the server library. It all looks good for a minute but then it syncs to the bad copy of the cloud. The old PC has cloud turned off and has the version of the library I want on the cloud. How do I get it up there? If I turn cloud back on and hit Update iCloud Music Library, will it just update this local one to the bad one? How should I proceed from there?

Also why isn't iTunes smart enough when this new PC isn't on the network and connected to the server to know that it can just pay the music from the cloud rather than whine that it can't find the local files?

The real question that matters is can I upload all his playlists to Google Play Music and be done with this nightmare?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm 99% sure your local library will get replaced by your Match/cloud library when you sign in and update (as you apparently saw). In that case, the cleanest bet would be, I would guess, to sign in with an empty library, let it sync the incomplete cloud one, delete all the songs from the cloud, then start fresh with the proper library.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

In my experience, iTunes Match NEVER deletes local music from a library, no matter how hosed up the cloud library is.

It will most likely attempt to match your local library to what portion of the library was uploaded to iCloud and then it'll assume any songs you have locally that aren't in the cloud will need to be uploaded/matched, not deleted in order to, say, mirror the more empty, "bad" library in the cloud.

Of course this is just sort of an educated guess at what'll happen in that situation, I can't say with 100% certainty.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
How do I delete everything from the cloud? Just some janky way by making my local library empty? I think I've tried that without knowing since on the new computer I signed on without any local music, but it just made everything show up anyway since it was in the cloud.

If I opened it on the new PC without anything local, deleted everything in the library (meaning everything in the cloud), then opened iTunes on the old computer and updated the library, would that take everything on the old computer and update the cloud? Then I could put the whole iTunes folder on the NAS and Shift open iTunes to choose the NAS library?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm trying to rent a movie on itunes. It gets me to put in my apple ID details, I hit 'rent' It does that spinning thing, and then it returns to the main store page of the movie I was renting, and the rental button is grayed out. But nothing appears in my library, and my credit card never gets charged. I've tried a number of times over several days. Anybody know what's happening? I'm running windows 10 and the latest version of itunes.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I did the thing I posted about two posts up and got a working library again. Have another question now.

Turns out none of this mattered and my dad doesn't care if he's just streaming music all the time on his new laptop as long as he has the actual files backed up somewhere like his NAS. Now I have his entire library pointing to the NAS so if he's off our network and plays a song it will ask him to locate it or hit cancel to play off the cloud. Is there a batch way to tell iTunes to do this? He doesn't want to start track 1 of a playlist and have it ask him every time when he's at a friend's house playing DJ.

I feel like I still needed to point the library to the actual files to begin with rather than rely on building the library from the cloud. Especially since he still plans on ripping the remainder of his huge music collection and we'll want the files to be stored on the NAS and be seen by the library.

And I'll still ask, is there a way to upload iTunes playlists to Google Play Music? I tried it with some of my music just to try it out and the Google Music Manager failed when attempting it. I'm also pretty sure that if you were to delete iTunes, the playlists break in Google. I want to get him off of iTunes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I’ve never done this because it doesn’t sound worth the hassle, but does someone has a decent workflow for redeeming iTunes code for other country stores? I buy a lot of movies from Amazon UK because of their earlier release date, which means I can’t use the redemption codes.

I prefer to watch them on Blu-ray/UHD, but it obviously wouldn’t hurt to also have them in iTunes.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Never switch an Apple ID location, always just create a new account for whatever region and then just switch iTunes store accounts whenever you want to watch the movie, download an app, etc.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

I did the thing I posted about two posts up and got a working library again. Have another question now.

Turns out none of this mattered and my dad doesn't care if he's just streaming music all the time on his new laptop as long as he has the actual files backed up somewhere like his NAS. Now I have his entire library pointing to the NAS so if he's off our network and plays a song it will ask him to locate it or hit cancel to play off the cloud. Is there a batch way to tell iTunes to do this? He doesn't want to start track 1 of a playlist and have it ask him every time when he's at a friend's house playing DJ.

I feel like I still needed to point the library to the actual files to begin with rather than rely on building the library from the cloud. Especially since he still plans on ripping the remainder of his huge music collection and we'll want the files to be stored on the NAS and be seen by the library. Is there a way to load the library off the cloud and then point the library at the local NAS just for when he rips future albums and wants to keep them there? This would make it so iTunes doesn't associate the cloud library with the files on the NAS meaning it wouldn't have the problem bolded above.

And I'll still ask, is there a way to upload iTunes playlists to Google Play Music? I tried it with some of my music just to try it out and the Google Music Manager failed when attempting it. I'm also pretty sure that if you were to delete iTunes, the playlists break in Google. I want to get him off of iTunes.

Any input on this? Going over to my dad's house tomorrow. The bold question above and the second one I've added in are the key points.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Any input on this? Going over to my dad's house tomorrow. The bold question above and the second one I've added in are the key points.

I don't understand what you're trying to do. You want to use a NAS instead of iCloud, and have no local files, but somehow still expect it to work when not on the same network as the NAS?

Why don't you add music to iTunes, let iTunes upload it to iCloud, then delete it iTunes (deleting the local copy, which the library replaces with a "pointer" to iCloud), and store a copy on the NAS? That way the files are all backed up on the NAS, and playback streams from iCloud, regardless of which network you're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Toe Rag posted:

I don't understand what you're trying to do. You want to use a NAS instead of iCloud, and have no local files, but somehow still expect it to work when not on the same network as the NAS?
Not really, he wants to use iCloud and have a local copy of the files on the NAS, but by letting iTunes put the files on the NAS as part of the iTunes library he gets the “locate this file?” prompt when the laptop is not connected to their home network.

Your solution (having the NAS files unconnected to the iTunes library) would work, but the copying of new music wouldn’t be automatic.