Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Housh posted:

I got an appt with the Apple Store in a few hours. I'm worried how this is going to get resolved as I can't see them turning around a BTO by the end of the week. I'll take the box and everything with me in case I have to get a refund and rebuy it in the states. This sucks.

My bto machine came from China four days after ordering it, including a Saturday and Sunday. It's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

So far it sounds like I can either return it and get a new bto in the states or have them replace the display. They said it won't effect the Apple care or anything. Just kinda lovely I gotta repair a brand new laptop but at least I'll have it back asap. If the display is bad on the outside could the rest of the poo poo inside be a hack job?

What do you dudes think? Refund or have them replace the displayed if it's an option?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Replace.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Housh posted:

So far it sounds like I can either return it and get a new bto in the states or have them replace the display. They said it won't effect the Apple care or anything. Just kinda lovely I gotta repair a brand new laptop but at least I'll have it back asap. If the display is bad on the outside could the rest of the poo poo inside be a hack job?

What do you dudes think? Refund or have them replace the displayed if it's an option?

Refund and replace.

Always do a reset otherwise mentally you start the relationship with the machine not trusting it. If there's one manufacturing defect you'll always be wondering if it's the duff unit off the production line.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I wouldn't be skeptical of the build quality of the rest of the machine just because there was some cosmetic damage to the display bezel. Let them swap out the display, and see how it goes.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Pivo are you loving nuts aren't you always the one in the iPhone thread getting your phone replaced for "issues" every release until you get a perfect specimen?

Replace dude. It might be a pain but it's something you're going to have for a long time. Do it right.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

Pivo are you loving nuts aren't you always the one in the iPhone thread getting your phone replaced for "issues" every release until you get a perfect specimen?

... No?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Even the manager told me to return it and buy a brand new one cause the whole system could be sketch. Guess I'll pick one up in the states. At least I got an easy full refund.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Since it sounds like you're not from the US - watch out for customs issues on your return! Nothing like finding out you owe extra taxes on return since it's not under your trip exemptions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GoldfishStew posted:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

:lol:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

Guess I'll pick one up in the states. At least I got an easy full refund.

You won't get the BTO one though, have to order it in.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pivo posted:

You won't get the BTO one though, have to order it in.

If he has a US billing address he can use somehow, he could order it BTO now and have it shipped to the store near him for pickup.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That was kinda tragic you guys but I'm glad I got the full refund at the Apple store.

I'm going to call Apple and explain the situation. My credit card billing address is different from the address I'm staying at so I'm not sure if they would ship it there but I'm fine with picking it up at an Apple store. I can wait another week for the BTO to arrive in the states as I wont need it right away. I wanted to see Infinite Loop anyways to pick up a coffee mug for my professor so I'll see if they can ship it there.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I totally would have been the dissenting 'meh, keep it' vote, but I drive a dented-rear end car and throw my uncased laptop and phone in a backpack so I generally do poo poo like that to my things in a few weeks anyway.

It's a chill and care-free lifestyle but it does put a damper on resale value if you're into that sort of thing.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Housh posted:

That was kinda tragic you guys but I'm glad I got the full refund at the Apple store.

I'm going to call Apple and explain the situation. My credit card billing address is different from the address I'm staying at so I'm not sure if they would ship it there but I'm fine with picking it up at an Apple store. I can wait another week for the BTO to arrive in the states as I wont need it right away. I wanted to see Infinite Loop anyways to pick up a coffee mug for my professor so I'll see if they can ship it there.

Why didn't you just wait until you got back from your trip and then do this replacement? Why are you making this so difficult?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I totally would have been the dissenting 'meh, keep it' vote, but I drive a dented-rear end car and throw my uncased laptop and phone in a backpack so I generally do poo poo like that to my things in a few weeks anyway.

It's a chill and care-free lifestyle but it does put a damper on resale value if you're into that sort of thing.
Yeah. I was really contemplating living with it but gently caress that. I think it would've been different if I had damaged it and it didn't come straight from Shanghai like that.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why didn't you just wait until you got back from your trip and then do this replacement? Why are you making this so difficult?
The laptop is to do work while I'm out of the country for 2 months. It's not really difficult. I got a full refund and I'll have a BTO sent to the closest fruit stand. I called to confirm and they said it isn't an issue as long as I pick it up at a store.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

This makes me laugh way too hard. Like Ricky Gervais level when I see this.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Housh posted:

The laptop is to do work while I'm out of the country for 2 months. It's not really difficult. I got a full refund and I'll have a BTO sent to the closest fruit stand. I called to confirm and they said it isn't an issue as long as I pick it up at a store.
Nice, glad it worked! :hfive:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Housh posted:

Yeah. I was really contemplating living with it but gently caress that. I think it would've been different if I had damaged it and it didn't come straight from Shanghai like that.

What country are you coming from? Isn't keyboard layout going to be an issue if you're buying an American laptop?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

GutBomb posted:

What country are you coming from? Isn't keyboard layout going to be an issue if you're buying an American laptop?
:canada: and I don't need a French Canadian keyboard so I'm good.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

GutBomb posted:

You can specify that, too, unless something has changed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Did the 2012 13" Retina not sell that many units? there are almost none on eBay

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bob Morales posted:

I bought one on eBay about a year ago for $650.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

The 13" 2012 was released in October and then refreshed 4 months later in February 2013 so I don't think there were many sold to begin with.

tngffl
May 6, 2008
Have their been any USB-C hub/docking stations released yet that drive multiple monitors?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

tngffl posted:

Have their been any USB-C hub/docking stations released yet that drive multiple monitors?

Is that even possible? Can't you only run one monitor off each USB-C port on the laptop?

I suspect that means my 2016 MBPnt can run a max of 2 monitors because two ports regardless of hubs or docking stations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Wasn't Apple supposed to release new hardware in March?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any tips for a 2010 MacBook that suddenly lost its audio? The speakers sounded weak off the bat, but after putting in a battery, it is straight up gone.

I've reset the PRAM, SMC, run sudo killall coreaudiod, and even reinstalled OS X.

Is it just toast? Is it anything the Genius Bar could help with?

EDIT: Just to be clear, there are no Output or Input Devices under System Preferences.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 29, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Wasn't Apple supposed to release new hardware in March?

They just released new iPads and refreshed iPhones.

There will probably be an event next month for Mac hardware but who knows.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is that even possible? Can't you only run one monitor off each USB-C port on the laptop?

I suspect that means my 2016 MBPnt can run a max of 2 monitors because two ports regardless of hubs or docking stations.

Well, with last year's Macs and their thick ugly mini-Displayport connectors you could daisy chain multiple monitors off of 1 single displayport connection. If they lost that, it's shameful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, with last year's Macs and their thick ugly mini-Displayport connectors you could daisy chain multiple monitors off of 1 single displayport connection. If they lost that, it's shameful.

Thunderbolt chaining still works

These Thunderbolt-3 capable Mac computers support multiple Thunderbolt displays:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016) supports up to four Thunderbolt displays using Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapters or daisy-chaining.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) and MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) support up to two Thunderbolt displays using Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapters and daisy-chaining.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Thunderbolt chaining still works

These Thunderbolt-3 capable Mac computers support multiple Thunderbolt displays:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016) supports up to four Thunderbolt displays using Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapters or daisy-chaining.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) and MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) support up to two Thunderbolt displays using Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapters and daisy-chaining.

So that's a Thunderbolt feature versus an USB-C feature? Hence no 12 inch MacBook.

I haven't dived too deeply into dongleville yet and all of the stuff I've seen says one display off each port, but they could be talking about USB-C. This is all so very clear cut and understandable.

eames
May 9, 2009

The FPS counter maximum in Xcode 8.3 changed from 60 to 120.

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/844488670036013057/photo/1

Maybe we are getting higher refresh rates after all. The iPad Pro would likely get it first to improve pencil latency.
120 Hz adaptive refresh rate rMBP? Yes please, I'd actually upgrade for that.

tngffl
May 6, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

So that's a Thunderbolt feature versus an USB-C feature? Hence no 12 inch MacBook.

I haven't dived too deeply into dongleville yet and all of the stuff I've seen says one display off each port, but they could be talking about USB-C. This is all so very clear cut and understandable.

Looks that way but yea I was looking for something like this.

https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-3-dock

These, and other similar products, have been "coming soon" and available for preorder forever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tngffl posted:

These, and other similar products, have been "coming soon" and available for preorder forever.

You'd need a Thunderbolt monitor I bet

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

tngffl posted:

I've got a user who insisted on a MacBook RIGHT NOW, even though I explained there are no TB3 docks that will work with it. It's all on preorder and I get griped at constantly.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have a 2015 macbook, and I'm running into an issue where my computer just shuts down completely while playing video. So far its happened twice, both while streaming (html5 in chrome) video. I don't know if its only with this site only (NBC) or if it happens with other sites as well (as its only just started, and i've almost exclusively watched NBC shows in that time) but its kind of annoying losing my place, not to mention an issue where my computer is hard crashing. The thermals are definitely not an issue-- the computer doesn't even feel warm right after it happens and I can't find anything in the logs, though I'll admit I'm not a pro or anything so I could probably be missing something. Has anyone else come across anything like this? I'd rather not have to go through the annoyance of wiping and starting fresh if I can help it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I have a 2015 macbook, and I'm running into an issue where my computer just shuts down completely while playing video.

Anything in the log files? (system.log etc)