Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
I leveled up 2 4* Effies and 1 4* Sheena to go with my 5* Effie to try the armor quest. I gave up when I realized I couldn't keep all of them up when they can't run the gently caress away after getting low. Like it would take at minimum, inheriting the movement assists to even have a chance of surviving through a whole stratum 10 fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

UchihaHirou posted:

I leveled up 2 4* Effies and 1 4* Sheena to go with my 5* Effie to try the armor quest. I gave up when I realized I couldn't keep all of them up when they can't run the gently caress away after getting low. Like it would take at minimum, inheriting the movement assists to even have a chance of surviving through a whole stratum 10 fight.

It's doable but it's a massive pain in the rear end since movement is so limited. I did it with four Effies. My main Effie had pivot but otherwise they were vanilla Effies.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I had an okay time doing the flier quest, since I had a pretty insane team for it (Minerva, Hinoka, Camilla and Caeda), but the Armor quest is just no fun at all. Either you train your armor units separately, which means you need more stamina, or you train them at the same time and pray that you don't get certain maps, like the labyrinth one. By far the worst thing about the armor quest though, are Hammers/Armorkillers/Heavy Spears. I can at least avoid maps with magic users on them so I don't get sniped by cavalry mages, but I can't even see if the enemies have those weapons before I start the map!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i started playing my first actual fire emblem who should i marry i am female corrin

i was thinking silas he seems pretty chill

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I managed to do fliers with a 5 star minerva backed up by 4 star Camilla, Cordelia, and Shanna and never entering a map with a green melee unit because it turned out they could basically solo my entire team. I even managed to do armored with a 5 star Effie backed up by a high level 4 star Draug(who provided ward armor and could take one hit) and 2 3 star gwendolyns, who provided exactly hone attack and nothing else by only going to maps with 3 red/blue/staff units. I'm actually like 10/15 of the way through cavalry somehow with 4 star Frederick, Clarine, Peri, and Ursula and man is Frederick hot garbage.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 29, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Ostentatious posted:

i started playing my first actual fire emblem who should i marry i am female corrin

Azama for the best daughter

Niles if conquest for second best daughter

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

also where are the main character's shoes that doesn't seem very hygenic

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ostentatious posted:

also where are the main character's shoes that doesn't seem very hygenic

At least they have feet in fates

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

So Laura Bailey stopped being Lucina?
This was a few pages back, but apparently Laura Bailey is participating in the current voice actor's union strike. Normal Lucina and Palla are voiced by Bailey, but it seems that Alexis Tipton is filling in for Bailey for at least this event. No word if this is a permanent change at the moment.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Finally beat all the training tower quests :toot:

Special shoutouts to my armor team, Draug, Draug, Draug and Draug.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

Have the villager girl marry someone that has a son so she can pass down aptitude, and then marry Corrin to that son so Kana also has aptitude. Gets you 3 people with aptitude.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

I bet you married Tiki in awakening.

One of my favorite things about a Robin and Tiki pairing is that it means Morgan is the second or third oldest playable character. Just this three-quarters godblooded little psycho, outliving everyone else.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chiasaur11 posted:

One of my favorite things about a Robin and Tiki pairing is that it means Morgan is the second or third oldest playable character. Just this three-quarters godblooded little psycho, outliving everyone else.

Partial-blood manaketes have pretty inconsistent aging speeds (whereas full manaketes adhere pretty strictly to aging roughly 100 times slower than humans in apparent age). Ninian and Nils are half-manakete and are thousand-year-old teenagers. Nah is a half-manakete who appears 11 or 12 when she's actually a late teen. Roy is (probably) quarter manakete and has no slowed aging. I wouldn't read too strongly into Morgan's apparent age. Dragon genetics seem to be complicated.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Partial-blood manaketes have pretty inconsistent aging speeds (whereas full manaketes adhere pretty strictly to aging roughly 100 times slower than humans in apparent age). Ninian and Nils are half-manakete and are thousand-year-old teenagers. Nah is a half-manakete who appears 11 or 12 when she's actually a late teen. Roy is (probably) quarter manakete and has no slowed aging. I wouldn't read too strongly into Morgan's apparent age. Dragon genetics seem to be complicated.

It isn't about her appearance (She looks to have around half a decade on Nah when she's the younger sister), but her mother support.

Almost all of them have a little bit about in her one memory of her mother she "looked a little older". Almost.

Her Nowi support has it cut. Which makes sense. Manakete, and she died within a decade, which means she didn't the centuries it would take for visible aging.

Her Tiki support kept the line.

I mean, it's probably just an oversight, but it amuses me all the same.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If Bunny Camilla is a flying green tome user, couldn't you give her Cecilia's tome to gain advantage over colorless and triangle adept to make her incredibly durable vs archers? How do triangle advantage and type advantage stack against each other?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reik posted:

If Bunny Camilla is a flying green tome user, couldn't you give her Cecilia's tome to gain advantage over colorless and triangle adept to make her incredibly durable vs archers? How do triangle advantage and type advantage stack against each other?

The archer will still have 90% of their normal attack in that situation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

akulanization posted:

Well I'm talking about the scene where sanaki literally proclaims her the rightful apostle and is going to give Mickey the throne. That's not a surface detail like sorrin's parentage, it's the text of the work. It also shows your fanciful reading to be completely at odds with the text; Mickey didn't doesn't grow into leadership but the game tells you she is nonetheless worthy of it. You seem to have invented a Micaiah that you think is a compelling character while ignoring the game we got, where she's corrin buoyed up by a better overall cast.

Isn't Michaiah the rightful apostle like due to birthright and poo poo? It's not as if it's portrayed like she "earned" the right to rule, she's just Sanaki's older sister so by tradition she's supposed to be the apostle. But she tells Sanaki she's already doing a good job and deserves the position more. I dunno it's about as much of a thing as Soren actually being the rightful King of Daein, but nobody brings that up.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Played this very casually and don't know a whole lot about it. Got nothing but 3 stars in my last two 20 orb pulls. Done playing.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

The archer will still have 90% of their normal attack in that situation.

But Camilla would have 140% of her normal attack?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Reik posted:

But Camilla would have 140% of her normal attack?

Correct

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

At a guess, if IS really put any effort into figuring out partial manakete aging (it is likely they didn't, but who knows), it seems that they age roughly the same as humans until they hit mid-late teens or so, so Roy still aging seems to not really deviate from that. Looking at another guaranteed half-manakete - Sophia is roughly a century old in FE6, but looks the same as she did 20 years earlier when she makes her cameo in FE7. So she has to have aged to her current appearance (around 15-16 or so?) within 80 years, but hasn't seemingly aged any more in the next 20. There's obviously some flex in just how long it took her to reach that apparent age, but combined with the other examples like Morgan/Nah/Corrin/Kana/Nils/Ninian, it definitely seems like there's a period of accelerated aging for partials before they seem to freeze.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

GoGoGadget posted:

Played this very casually and don't know a whole lot about it. Got nothing but 3 stars in my last two 20 orb pulls. Done playing.

only 40 orbs? lol

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

GoGoGadget posted:

take your 3 stars to 5 stars

be the change you want to see in the world

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I got Ninian to lv 31 thanks to a couple stamina potions. She was surprisingly difficult to train at times, because Olivia can't dance for her. Also the tower kept throwing green mages at me which Ninian has a problem with. Also attacking on the enemy's res stat was good, until she had to pick off clerics- usually easy prey. With their sky high res, at times she was doing 2 damage or so, even with Olivia's Hone Atk buff.

Whatever though! She should be ready to slot into the team tomorrow and help them wreck poo poo.

Should I look into giving her a different breath weapon? I've seen folks mention giving her Dark Breath or even Lightning Breath. Her default breath has the nice side effect of buffing adjacent allies, but it only works if she attacks... which ya know, dancer.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I got Ninian to lv 31 thanks to a couple stamina potions. She was surprisingly difficult to train at times, because Olivia can't dance for her.

Temporarily unequip her dance ability and then Olivia can dance her.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
All I'm getting from this manakete chat is that Roy is still super lame even though he can have dragon blood, also that Sophia is super old.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ChronoReverse posted:

Temporarily unequip her dance ability and then Olivia can dance her.

:doh: I don't know why I didn't think of doing that. Thanks for the tip!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
mixin' up the ol' defense team to be Selena, Effie, Elise and Minerva. Some cool and good friends to defend me from nosy rudes.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Micaiah is a complete and total mary sue, a war criminal, and a villain protagonist that the game never gets tired of telling you how perfect she is.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Micaiah is a complete and total mary sue, a war criminal, and a villain protagonist that the game never gets tired of telling you how perfect she is.

Please stop posting about this.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Isn't Michaiah the rightful apostle like due to birthright and poo poo? It's not as if it's portrayed like she "earned" the right to rule, she's just Sanaki's older sister so by tradition she's supposed to be the apostle. But she tells Sanaki she's already doing a good job and deserves the position more. I dunno it's about as much of a thing as Soren actually being the rightful King of Daein, but nobody brings that up.

Sanaki's whole thing in RD is that she's incredibly self conscious about not being able to see the future, which is now a thing the Apostle does, never mind that she was a child running a fractured and dysfunctional nation or that she was shown to beat the rear end in a top hat politicians at their own game in PoR. In RD they turn the legitimately very cool Sanaki from PoR into a weak character who has next to no agency. Part of that is so that Begnion can be the villain but that doesn't really excuse the rewrite that makes her a much weaker character. Why is this needed at all? I don't know, it's an ancillary point that does nothing positive for the game but Sanaki's character gets made shittier so that Michaiah can pat her on the head. It's not that the game says she's earned the right to rule, it's that Sanaki was made insecure enough to believe that someone else would do a better job because that person has magical bullshit.

Clarste posted:

No, what I said was that she had the potential to go through a character arc but then she didn't because Ike came into the story and things suddenly became simple. Because Ike cannot ever be even slightly wrong about anything. I mean, I can understand the desire to see a character you like from the previous game be a post-character-development super badass, but his particular role in the story prevented Micaiah from going through her own transition to an actual hero. Ike is a Gary Stu who charged into a story that wasn't about him and made it about him, leaving Micaiah in this weird position where she seemed like she'd be important but isn't actually important. She could've died at the end of Act 3 and very little would be different about the story.

Also I never said she wasn't the true empress and all that, I'm just saying it didn't really matter to the plot at all. It also doesn't matter that she has magical powers. That's what I meant by "focusing on the surface details" and ignoring what she actually does. All that matters in the end is that the goddess could speak through her; she was a glorified radio receiver.

Edit: Frankly, this whole idea that girls who are secretly princesses with magic powers are Mary Sues, while men who are strong and honest and always in the right aren't feels kind of sexist to me. If you look at what she actually does, not just who she is, the story constantly shits on Micaiah and every choice she's ever made. And never stops until she gets a vague happy ending.

Potential is a useless thing to discuss. Ike could have had the potential to have a different arc in RD if the Greil Mercenaries had been the focus from the start, if we start talking about games that weren't made we can picture anything. But that won't change what was in the game we actually got. Sanaki could have had an arc, and is a much more interesting character than Michaiah, but Michaiah came along and suddenly Sanaki was robbed of her agency in the plot.

If you insist on comparing Michaiah to Ike then you need to compare her in RD to Ike in PoR. At the point where people are flocking to her banner and she's becoming the face and leader of a popular resistance in her home country with no assistance Ike was running from the ruins of his home, his father was dead, and his allies were uncertain if they should even stay under his leadership. Ike very nearly costs Elincia the only chance she has at getting support to reclaim her country because he can't keep his mouth shut, it's only good luck that keeps his outburst from turning into a disaster. Most heroes are laid low at some point or experience setbacks, Michaiah goes from the leader of a small band of rebels, to the leader of a massive popular uprising, to the most popular person in the kingdom, to the leader of an army fighting the rest of the protagonists and still holding her own even though the force she was fighting had just beaten back the larger and stronger Begnion Central Army. Just as she's finally on the verge of defeat, stubbornly refusing to negotiate even though her opponents have begged her to just surrender or even talk to them, a dragon shows up to intervene and decides to fight for her. Michaiah's biggest failing in the game is the blood pact with the Begnion Senate, which she doesn't even do.

Michaiah gets sidelined some in the last act of the game, but if you look at everything else she never experiences meaningful difficulty or defeat. And she does it while wearing every hat in the Daein military too. Ike has Soren, Titania, Ranulf, Zelgius and probably some more I'm forgetting, helping him over the two games he's in. Michaiah is effortlessly good at everything, she's a great tactician like Soren, she's an inspiring general like Ike, she's better at governing than Sanaki or Elincia who both have their nations plunge into civil war during RD. That she's got a super special power and bloodline are secondary to how she goes from success to success, strength to strength.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Clawtopsy posted:

mixin' up the ol' defense team to be Selena, Effie, Elise and Minerva. Some cool and good friends to defend me from nosy rudes.

I finally got a successful defense from Ursula as my front runner. Said person must have liked my team because he sent me a friend request.

All I need is one defense, right? I'm still unclear about how this arena poo poo works.

Also is your ranking determined by your defending team, or the one you use on offense?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All of Micaiahs scenes in part 3 are nothing but failures though. I guess her first map is a victory but she gets immediately routed next chapter and half her units probably defect. She sacrifices half her army to drop some boulders on a young non-combatant only to fail that too. She lets her king kill himself to stop a curse only for that to accomplish nothing (or she stops his suicide but does nothing to end the curse). She organises a final defence that ends with Daeins walls being breached and her enemies only stopping due to her having a couple of sympathetic allies among them. And then she basically loses the battle the next day anyway. And all these failures are when she's at her most interesting imo. I think it gives off a real sense of desperation and makes Micaiah and Daein sorta sympathetic or at least understandable "playable villains". Much better than what they tried to do in Conquest at least. Though the game kinda ruins it with blood pacts completely justifying her, but RD does that a couple of times like with Naesala because it has a real problem letting any of the playable characters be "wrong". That's a problem with the whole game though.

Part 1 is pretty much all success for her (other than her early imprisonment and near assassination in the penultimate chapter) because it's an intentional mirror of the Crimea liberation part of PoR which is also all victories. Even then Micaiah still gets a lot of help from like Nailah and Tormod and friends.

I agree that Sanaki's bit in part 4 of losing confidence due to the Gods being evil and also she could never hear them was sorta lame. But shes still cool and her ordering Sephiran to drown in rancid butter if he betrays her again was one of the best lines in the game.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So what time does the update hit?

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So what time does the update hit?

In about 4 hours

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Caeda why are you so weird and bad :negative:

just about the highest res in the game, enough speed to double everything /w darting blow, but she hits (and takes hits) like a healer. :sigh: Chilling Wind hits for a lot and I'm about to replace it with Iceberg so at least I'm getting something out of 37 res other than being unstoppable vs casters.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 30, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Part 1 is pretty much all success for her (other than her early imprisonment and near assassination in the penultimate chapter) because it's an intentional mirror of the Crimea liberation part of PoR which is also all victories. Even then Micaiah still gets a lot of help from like Nailah and Tormod and friends.

And the Black Knight, of course. She's competent, but hardly infallible, and all her successes felt like they were by the skin of her teeth and because of the support of powerful benefactors, not because she was an amazing tactician or anything. She was a symbol of the resistance, one that lots of people rallied behind. But ultimately that just put her in a position she was never ready for, as seen in Act 3.

akulanization posted:

If you insist on comparing Michaiah to Ike then you need to compare her in RD to Ike in PoR.

Well, yes, I was. Micaiah isn't allowed to go through the same growth as Ike following her biggest failures, because instead of being forced to her to clean up her own mess, Ike just comes in and cleans it up for her. Micaiah screws up Act 3 big time, is at her lowest point in the story, and then... her arc just stops. She never goes on a journey to become strong and confident like Ike did, she just steps back and completely surrenders her role in the story to him (and other major players, like the Laguz Kings). Micaiah, and therefore RD's overarching narrative, are bad because the game wasn't ready to let Micaiah stand on her own as a hero, and left her forever in the shadow of a post-PoR Ike.

Imagine if halfway through PoR, when Ike was just fleeing with no plans for retaking Crime yet, someone like, I dunno, Marth suddenly appeared and guided the Griel mercenaries to victory by himself. Ike would never have had a chance to prove himself, and wouldn't have grown as a character. I wouldn't blame Ike for that, I'd blame Marth for doing something stupid to the story.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 30, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'd blame the writers for not writing better, personally.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Okay, that's fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

How DO you get a defense win. I got one once. Ever. I think it must have been a joke. Tried a lot of different things, maybe it's because I don't have a bunch of 40s yet. Still, a strong mid-range team should manage to win occasionally. I know I've lost to mid-range teams without any special gimmicks or super-strong units.

:sigh: