Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah this is the same song and dance as every year. A handful of people are a little sensitive cuz Hamilton didn't win...and also lost a title to Nico loving Rosberg last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

The 2017 Aquafresh US Grand Prix

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

I cannot imagine anything worse than living in Bahrain. I would rather be a Rosberg fan

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2017/03/25/why-mclarens-cmo-pulling-the-f1-season-already-energised-liberty-media-s-ownership

quote:

This newfound ability to self-distribute content is also an antidote to Sky’s hold of the Formula One broadcast rights, which immediately limited the amount of people who can watch a race due to the network’s pay-to-view model. However this might not even be a problem much longer, as according to Allert, Liberty’s plans to make the sport more accessible will include a restricting of TV rights.

“The days of coverage either being terrestrial or pay-to-view will probably become a thing of the past,” he said. “I think that you’ll see Formula One distributed through more innovative and contemporary digital channels, so people can watch races not necessarily with TV subscriptions but…through their iPhone, through their tablet, whatever it is.

Some of it may be user pays, but I think they're trying to broaden the popularity and the best way to broaden the popularity is to give more exciting content to more people.”

:boom:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Put the lower FIA Formula on the same steaming service please :pray:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

McLaren won the title.

Norns posted:

Put the lower FIA Formula on the same steaming service please :pray:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Norns posted:

Yeah this is the same song and dance as every year. A handful of people are a little sensitive cuz Hamilton didn't win...and also lost a title to Nico loving Rosberg last year.

I really thought we hit the nadir last year when people were actively melting down and losing it because Rosberg was going to win despite not being the outright fastest but here we are in 2017 and people are actively melting down because the car on pole couldn't gently caress off into the distance with a 30 second lead at the first pitstop.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I laugh every single time I see your Lance Stroll avatar.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

The worst this thread has ever been was when McLaren won the title.

Was it great when Michael Schumacher became a vegetable?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

daslog posted:

Was it great when Michael Schumacher became a vegetable?

:(

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I laugh every single time I see your Lance Stroll avatar.

It looks like Sidney Crosby.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

I mean was the thread great, not what happened to Michael.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

wicka posted:

It looks like Sidney Crosby.

It took me like thirty seconds to realise who you're talking about and I have no idea what he looks like still.

:canada:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I bloody hope this comes sooner rather than later. It drives me mad I have to pay for the entire Sky Sports package when I literally only give a poo poo about F1, the golf Majors and snooker.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

dreesemonkey posted:

Everyone knows Mercedes is still going to win WDC/WCC, right? Ferrari will gently caress it up on either strategy or reliability, that's even assuming we think they have the best performance right now.

I know we have Max "Max" Verstappen to thank for the result, and potentially the warm conditions to thank for Ferrari's tyre performance, but come on, let's at least hold on to the hope that there's going to be an actual team battle this season. Unless Red Bull come good.

Theophany posted:

I bloody hope this comes sooner rather than later. It drives me mad I have to pay for the entire Sky Sports package when I literally only give a poo poo about F1, the golf Majors and snooker.

Get into darts.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Norns posted:

Had to double take. Thought that was a Russian flag on the front wing.

Trump F1 Team, coming soon

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

HJB posted:

Get into darts.

I dip in and out when it's on Eurosport - an annual sub was like £20 in January. Considering going to the Ally Pally when it's next on as it's only a few minutes from where I live.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
If Ferrari put their head down and close that 3 tenths by Europe then they're within a shot of the title. I don't think it's going to steamroll one way or the other but I also would not be shocked if we get historical "Ferrari just can't keep it together in the home stretch and finishes second".

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

HJB posted:

I know we have Max "Max" Verstappen to thank for the result, and potentially the warm conditions to thank for Ferrari's tyre performance, but come on, let's at least hold on to the hope that there's going to be an actual team battle this season. Unless Red Bull come good.

Believe me, I'm secretly super hopeful and Lewis not winning the title would be so so satisfying, just the thought of Bottas beating him in a race is lovely. I'm just not trying to get too hopeful :( I'm worried that it will be like barcelona from last year where Kimi or Vettel was stuck behind Max the whole time, the pace was there but the track was impossible to pass on if you're not 4 seconds a lap faster (which is maddening to watch).

Digitial media - I'm really hoping for a netflix-type thing where you have access to not only live streams, but past seasons, etc. The teams could also maybe add content like the redbull PR videos that they do with their drivers and maybe do a small revenue share to the teams for that. If it was priced reasonably enough, I could see it being very popular worldwide.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think certain tracks will favour Ferrari, others Mercedes and Red Bull aren't actually that far off, so there's a decent chance of some competition for one or both of the championships, even if there's not much actual competition on the track (at the front)

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

The first race of the year quite often throws up an outlier result for a constructor. You'll know by the next couple of races.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Sulman posted:

The first race of the year quite often throws up an outlier result for a constructor. You'll know by the next couple of races.

In season development will shake things up more than people anticipate I think.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

1983 is good.

Also it's of example of a year where refuelling worked pretty well. Maybe it can work if done correctly.

It was only good because it was the first year after ground effect was banned and nobody knew what the gently caress they were doing

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Was 83 the year where all the teams got together and told each other when they were going to pit? I remember the length of time it took to do pitstops was a huge factor in race wins and Renault constantly lagging behind probably cost Prost the title.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Sulman posted:

There's a stat that 11 of the last 16 winners of the first race went on to win the championship.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

gently caress, fine you guys I'll watch 83. Since you guys won't shut up about it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

keevo posted:

There's a stat that 11 of the last 16 winners of the first race went on to win the championship.

There's also a stat that for the last however many seasons I've watched I've sat there in a Ferrari shirt and ended the season bitterly disappointed so please don't ruin this for me :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Theophany posted:

There's also a stat that for the last however many seasons I've watched I've sat there in a Ferrari shirt and ended the season bitterly disappointed so please don't ruin this for me :(

Vettle gunna win WDC. Merc will win Constructors.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

In season development will shake things up more than people anticipate I think.

Ferrari Isn't Good At This

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I know wicka. But fear for my mental wellbeing if I see Lewis win another WDC.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's no possible positive outcome to this season. It's either Hamilton or Vettel. The only way it doesn't end it in tears is if Honda shows real progress and convinces Alonso to stay for at least another year.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

:suicide:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Yes, that is the correct response.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Vettel was intolerable at Red Bull but his time at Ferrari, especially last year, has endeared me to him. The guy took a lot of poo poo for his red bull titles (rightfully so) and is trying to prove everybody wrong.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm excited to see Williams win with Massa. :)

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Vettel finishes second in a dramatic season finale with a close but not close enough Ferrari and fucks off to Mercedes reckoning if Rosberg could beat Hamilton than he can too paving the way for Nando to return to Ferrari and dominate 2018.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Did we hear anybody bitch about blueflags in Melbourne?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Blue flags should be banned. If you're loving fast enough to pull in a lap over a car you really shouldn't need help passing the same car.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
HAM posted a snap inside what looks like a high school kid's recording studio, lol. He's worth Millions right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Blue flags should be banned. If you're loving fast enough to pull in a lap over a car you really shouldn't need help passing the same car.

Crofty account spotted.

• Locked thread