Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Nope, it's pretty much what I said before: the Bad Movie Podcast Guys weren't paying attention to a rather simple movie. If you're confused by a basic sexting plot, it's not the movie that hosed up.

Maybe I just expect more competence in my podcasts than you.

I think you're mixing up mocking/riffing on a movie, with being confused by a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Power Rangers: Its about integrity in Bad Movie podcasts.

For what its worth, I haven't seen the Power Rangers movie (...) and I have no doubt I can tell you pretty much the whole plot from their descriptions of it. Like, they were more being dismissive about stupid plot stuff then actively confused, it sounded to me.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 29, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Yeah, how were they confused by the sexting stuff? They just seemed to think it was inappropriate for what they felt should have been a kids movie.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

From the IMDB Trivia page:

"Leo Anthony Gallagher, Jr., known as Gallagher, is rumored to be cast as the Green Ranger in the sequel as teased at the end of the film.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3717490/trivia?ref_=m_tt_trv_trv

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hyrax Attack! posted:

"Leo Anthony Gallagher, Jr., known as Gallagher, is rumored to be cast as the Green Ranger in the sequel as teased at the end of the film.

Makes sense why this costume has been floating around, then.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I can do a Rider Kick, Mark!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Re: Podcast app chat, I got Pocket Casts, and I really like it, I've been trying it out for a few days and it hasn't broken down once! Thanks for the recommendations guys.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

loving dying at nerds taking a stand for loving Power Rangers after like 250 episodes of this podcast

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
i enjoyed the episode, but then again I have no intentions of watching/defending the feature film based on a 90s kid's show with Rita Repulsa enjoying delicious Krispy Kreme doughnuts™. I'm sorry my standards for bad movie podcasts are so low and loathsome, unlike the more cultured Power Rangers fans among us.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ravenkult posted:

loving dying at nerds taking a stand for loving Power Rangers after like 250 episodes of this podcast

https://vimeo.com/120399693

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
There's one guy going out of his way to defend the movie and even he kinda just gave up after awhile. Which is really tame for CD standards.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

JT Smiley posted:

There's one guy going out of his way to defend the movie and even he kinda just gave up after awhile. Which is really tame for CD standards.

And it was MisterBibs of all people. Respect it.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Its almost poetic how a year ago the same thing happened with the BvS episode

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

JT Smiley posted:

The movie itself is rather tame, inoffensive, and really hard to find anything to rant about on a Bad Movie Podcast. It's why the end result was three people doing June Diane Raphael's bit in trying.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The lamest thing about the movie is that Power Rangers has already done an obstensibly "grim n gritty" series where they still managed to keep it fun and goofy and for kids, and they didn't need to have bull cum jokes or a minor plot point about spreading nudes. Corporations don't learn from past ventures at all, huh?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I am stunned, stunned, that there's a joke about jacking off a bull in the Power Rangers movie. I honestly thought it was a Szyzka creation but nope it's in there.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

ravenkult posted:

I enjoyed Jupiter Ascending but they had the same 'it looks cool, kinda recommend it' reaction I did instead of just making GBS threads on it for a few hours.
I still don't understand not liking Tango & Cash though.

Somebody smarter than me write about us getting boring American Power Rangers and Ghost in the Shell at the same time.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
You can't take a kid to a movie with that kind of joke in it, and kids are the biggest audience for power rangers. Brilliant, studio, brilliant.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

CountFosco posted:

You can't take a kid to a movie with that kind of joke in it, and kids are the biggest audience for power rangers. Brilliant, studio, brilliant.

Parents take their kids to movies filled with that kind of poo poo all the time. Half the audience for my screens of Deadpool and Logan were kids under 12.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

There were kids in the theater when I went to see Sin City at the dollar cinema way back when. There are a lot of bad parents.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

JT Smiley posted:

Parents take their kids to movies filled with that kind of poo poo all the time. Half the audience for my screens of Deadpool and Logan were kids under 12.

But there's an enormous difference between lovely parents letting kids see R rated movies, and studios making kids' movies with bull jerking jokes. A pg-13 Power Rangers movie is for kids, Logan and Deadpool aren't.

e: I too wasn't sure if the bull semen joke was actually in the movie or if it was a WHM goof. Turns out it's in the movie. Seriously, what the gently caress?

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 31, 2017

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I was talking about the guy who said parents can't take their kids to the movie because of one joke, a joke that no kid would even get in the first place.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://theringer.com/power-rangers-is-a-movie-about-bad-people-ef9faafeafb7

I don't think kids movies need to be 100% wholesome but it's sounding more and more that this film isn't something young kids should be watching.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I was relistening to the Devil's Advocate episode, and it reminded me of something that came up in the Power Rangers episode (and something someone brought up earlier in the thread): why do movies delay the "reveal" of their...point, for lack of a better word, for so long?

Like, in Devil's Advocate the "reveal" that Pacino's the devil doesn't happen until like two hours into the movie, even though everyone knows it going in (and it's pretty obvious after a while). Likewise, the Power Rangers movie doesn't have the giant robot fight until the tail end of the movie, but the arguable point of a Power Rangers movie is to see giant robot fights.

(It's been a long time since I saw it, but I remember a similar problem with the first Transformers movie where it felt like forever before the actual Transformers showed up.)

I realize that this probably isn't the thread to ask, but what's the point of that? Why wait so long to give the audience the meat of your movie? Why not put it front and center? To quote Steve, what else am I buying a ticket for?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think with movies like Power Rangers it's done with the mindset that they're setting up a franchise. Batman Begins seems to be a big influence on this. Movie 1 is all about the origin, so they need to spend 90 minutes on bullshit nobody who comes to see a children's robot movie actually cares about.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Things like Jaws, Jurassic Park or Predator slowburn the reveal to ramp up tension. Thing is, bad movies don't have this level of tension so it just feels like you're sitting around waiting for these dickheads to get their movie started. The key difference is basically that those films had good pacing. Godzilla 2014 also takes ages to get going but it's overall pretty good due to having a few really cool setpieces - irradiated Japan is much more interesting than a Krispy Kreme somewhere in socal.

Pacific Rim is also about smashing machines together but it understands that it's not a highbrow film and shows some awesome poo poo off upfront. It's not the greatest film ever made but it doesn't bury the lede at all. I respect that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

well why not posted:

Things like Jaws, Jurassic Park or Predator slowburn the reveal to ramp up tension. Thing is, bad movies don't have this level of tension so it just feels like you're sitting around waiting for these dickheads to get their movie started. The key difference is basically that those films had good pacing. Godzilla 2014 also takes ages to get going but it's overall pretty good due to having a few really cool setpieces - irradiated Japan is much more interesting than a Krispy Kreme somewhere in socal.

Pacific Rim is also about smashing machines together but it understands that it's not a highbrow film and shows some awesome poo poo off upfront. It's not the greatest film ever made but it doesn't bury the lede at all. I respect that.
Funnily enough, I was thinking of Godzilla '90 (where it took like an hour for Godzilla to show up) and Pacific Rim (that gets you right into giant robot battles from the get-go) after I made that post.

What really bugs me about drawing that stuff out is the idea that I won't care about whatever the main point of the movie is without all that groundwork being laid.

(There's also the idea that origin stories don't need a lot of time when they're not emotionally tied to the character. Batman's origin has emotional weight and drives the character; the Power Rangers' doesn't have either of those things and is basically "here's your morphers".)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I was relistening to the Devil's Advocate episode, and it reminded me of something that came up in the Power Rangers episode (and something someone brought up earlier in the thread): why do movies delay the "reveal" of their...point, for lack of a better word, for so long?

Like, in Devil's Advocate the "reveal" that Pacino's the devil doesn't happen until like two hours into the movie, even though everyone knows it going in (and it's pretty obvious after a while). Likewise, the Power Rangers movie doesn't have the giant robot fight until the tail end of the movie, but the arguable point of a Power Rangers movie is to see giant robot fights.

(It's been a long time since I saw it, but I remember a similar problem with the first Transformers movie where it felt like forever before the actual Transformers showed up.)

I realize that this probably isn't the thread to ask, but what's the point of that? Why wait so long to give the audience the meat of your movie? Why not put it front and center? To quote Steve, what else am I buying a ticket for?

It has been a long, long time since my one watch of The Devil's Advocate. But I think the point was that while everything was pointing to Al Pacino being the devil, up until that point the movie and Keanu were also questioning that obvious fact. Then the audience has it confirmed at the same time as the protagonist at the point where Al Pacino being the Devil is the crux of the plot, where Keanu has to choose whether to go with big daddy Satan or not.

Given that The Devil's Advocate isn't the most magnificent of writing samples, holding out to confirm that Pacino is Satan also gets around the issue of the audience being in on Pacino's identity and coming to wonder why Keanu is such a loving idiot for not realizing he's the son of Satan and working for his dad.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

The main reason is bad writing where a script just meanders in an attempt to ape better scripts that build and climax. The other part of it is saving on CG costs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Isn't waiting until after they get their rear end kicked in their separate zords before going together for the megazord just standard Power Rangers proceedure?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gyges posted:

Isn't waiting until after they get their rear end kicked in their separate zords before going together for the megazord just standard Power Rangers proceedure?

Right but power Rangers episodes are 20 minutes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How many tweets explaining that Bryan Cranston voiced a bunch of monsters in the original series and Billy in fact is named for him did they get

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tender Bender posted:

Right but power Rangers episodes are 20 minutes.

But isn't stretching out a 20 minute episode to feature film length the very essence of the Power Ranger way? That has to be what they did in the other movies. There was more than 1 other Power Rangers movie, right?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I'm posting this here because I'm wondering if it's a Patreon issue.

This morning I got an email saying there was an error processing my payment but I got both a PayPal receipt and it shows on my bank balance (as pending, admittedly).

Nothing has changed and my card doesn't expire for another year or so. This ever happened to anyone else?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

But isn't stretching out a 20 minute episode to feature film length the very essence of the Power Ranger way? That has to be what they did in the other movies. There was more than 1 other Power Rangers movie, right?
There were two. Checking the Wikipedia, one was actually a bridge between two of the general Rangers series.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Gyges posted:

The second movie is unwatchable, but it's biggest crime is they don't even morph until the last 20 minutes. And everything before that is dull as can be.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So I'm posting this here because I'm wondering if it's a Patreon issue.

This morning I got an email saying there was an error processing my payment but I got both a PayPal receipt and it shows on my bank balance (as pending, admittedly).

Nothing has changed and my card doesn't expire for another year or so. This ever happened to anyone else?

It was. Their site crashed charging people this morning. I got a receipt later.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think with movies like Power Rangers it's done with the mindset that they're setting up a franchise. Batman Begins seems to be a big influence on this. Movie 1 is all about the origin, so they need to spend 90 minutes on bullshit nobody who comes to see a children's robot movie actually cares about.
The thing is that Batman Begins isn't about establishing a franchise. The ending isn't necessarily a hook for a sequel. It's the same ending as Batman Year One. It's a signifier that the somewhat realistic Gotham has been transformed into something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The shows are still pretty good, but I wish they would go back to a three host rotating format. In my opinion some of the best episodes were pairing the high energy Andrew and Steve with Eric or Cabin. All four together works sometimes, but seems to make for a surface level "look at this stupid movie!" instead of a smaller group being able to develop wonderful tangents like Hamster Man.

Four hosts seems to slow momentum and make it harder to keep an alternate narrative going. Like the glorious "Dad making fat stacks in Japan" in The Good Son or detailed layout of Muldoons in Halloween III. Even two hosts works fine, like for the Ilsa episode or that one animation damnation.

Side note: the Volcano episode is pure gold. I wouldn't mind disaster expert Justin Case popping up on future episodes.