Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Here is my tier list of games that I think we can all agree on

I HAVE ACTUALLY BEATEN THIS GAME tier:
FFV, FFVII, WoFF, FFXV

I LIKE THIS GAME BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON HAVEN'T BEATEN IT tier:
FF1, FFVI, FFIX

I PLAYED IT A LITTLE BIT AND THEN STOPPED tier:
FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIV

HAVEN'T PLAYED EVER tier:
FFVIII, FFX, FFXI

THIS GAME HAS A WEIRD, ALMOST FFX-STYLE COMBAT SYSTEM tier:
Mega Man X: Command Mission

VVVV: Oh for sure, but I haven't played that one, though one of my friends played through the entire game while we were in college for some reason. It didn't look very good.

Xad fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If Command Mission makes it onto the list as a FFX knockoff, that godawful Lord of the Rings JRPG for PS2 definitely does.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He said almost-FFX combat, not literally-copy+paste characters into battle system

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Reiterpallasch posted:

If Command Mission makes it onto the list as a FFX knockoff, that godawful Lord of the Rings JRPG for PS2 definitely does.

Eh, if you could ignore the story liberties and the shoehorning in of movie characters (look! Our party is watching Gandalf fight the Balrog! Why are we in the exact same location at the exact same time as the Fellowship but staying hidden again?), it was decent if only because it had FFX's battle system.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Beaten
1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 15, FFT, FFTA

Played extensively, abandoned
10-2, 11, WoFF, FFTA2, BD, Theatrhythm

Tried a bit, abandoned
2, 8, 9, 14, That 12 real-time game on DS*, 13-2, 13-LR, 4HoL, Crystal Chronicles

Pre-abandoned
BD2, After Years, All mobile things, All 7 spinoffs

*Weirdest spin-off in the entire series

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

fridge corn posted:

The definitive list of final fantasies from best to worst :

1st: 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12
7th: 8, 10
9th: 1, 2
11th: 3
12th: 13
13th: 15

Healbot posted:

Almost :same:, except swap 13 with 15.

Strong and good opinions in this thread today.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ImpAtom posted:

Culex isn't from a Final Fantasy game!

Only because Mario defeated him first! He solves an entire FF plot by beating the villain as part of an optional side quest.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Megaman X Command Mission is a stealth Breath of Fire game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Megaman X Command Mission is a stealth Breath of Fire game.

It's certainly tedious enough for it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Man, I had forgotten LotR: The Third Age. What a ridiculous... thing. Why did they just straight up rip off FFX? The combat was great but the rest of the game was just mediocree so I guess it's an improvement?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Man, I had forgotten LotR: The Third Age. What a ridiculous... thing. Why did they just straight up rip off FFX? The combat was great but the rest of the game was just mediocree so I guess it's an improvement?

They straight up ripped it off but heavily emphasized the accuracy stat and I hit a point where I would lose random encounters because my warriors would miss so often the enemy would take 4-5 turns to kill so I quit.

Given Im the onky person ive ever seen complain about this I feel I missed a feature or encountered a strange bug.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Beaten: I, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, XV, Crisis Core, Dissidia Duodecim
Started And Never Finished: II, V, VI, Tactics Advance, Dirge of Cerberus

I need to go back to V at some point, it seemed good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I loved the the fact that you're a slightly less competent not-fellowship who basically did all the same poo poo but you're 5 minutes late to every major LOTR event

I mean, it might not be all like that I only really remember the part with the Balrog in Moria

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It's certainly tedious enough for it.

I meant in the sense that there are shared developers, and even some of the menus and fonts are the same.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Raxivace posted:

I need to go back to V at some point, it seemed good.

A mere 62 days until the Four Job Fiesta, gamer.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I meant in the sense that there are shared developers, and even some of the menus and fonts are the same.

And I meant in the sense that they are all bad!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

And I meant in the sense that they are all bad!

:mad:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

A couple days ago I tried playing FF5 normally, and I found I was completely paralyzed by indecision. I haven't played FF5 outside of the fiesta in years.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Beaten:VII, VIII, X, Dirge of Cerberus, XV
Started And Never Finished: I, IX, XII, XIII, Crisis Core

I love every FF I've finished (except DoC of course, no amount of love for FFVII or Vincent can make that game good) and the only one I've played and didn't finish because I didn't like the game was IX. I just couldn't stand the aesthetic of that game, and the only character I liked was Vivi. The rest I just drifted off from because other things captured my attention.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Countblanc posted:

Yeah speaking of which, the fiesta is the first time I ever beat a Final Fantasy game because I had started playing FFV so many times before and never even made it to the earth crystal due to job indecision :v:

Now I do the fiesta every year because it's really fun and it's like a little annual celebration for me finally getting off my rear end and beating a FF game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I loved the the fact that you're a slightly less competent not-fellowship who basically did all the same poo poo but you're 5 minutes late to every major LOTR event

I mean, it might not be all like that I only really remember the part with the Balrog in Moria

Its that way all the way through. You show up even later at a sacked village, you fight a ring wraith the fellowship evaded, etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Barudak posted:

Its that way all the way through. You show up even later at a sacked village, you fight a ring wraith the fellowship evaded, etc.

I'd seriously love a game where it's this, but there's no combat at all in the game and as you go through, your characters get more and more blueballed about the fact they're not doing anything at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

Yeah, you're literally just five minutes behind them and it's amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You're five minutes behind them and also every single character is a thinly veiled budget knockoff of a LotR member except Aragorn totally hooks up with Eowyn instead and then you literally punch Sauron in the giant flaming eye

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xad posted:

Yeah speaking of which, the fiesta is the first time I ever beat a Final Fantasy game because I had started playing FFV so many times before and never even made it to the earth crystal due to job indecision :v:

Now I do the fiesta every year because it's really fun and it's like a little annual celebration for me finally getting off my rear end and beating a FF game.

Yeah same, I firmly believe the FJF is the best way to approach FFV as a first time player assuming you just go in vanilla. I mean people have certainly enjoyed doing the challenge runs for their first time but I don't think it'd be my go-to recommendation. Anyway yeah if you haven't beat FFV due to analysis paralysis or just because you're lazy or something you should definitely make it a resolution to do the Fiesta this year.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I remember the final boss too, yeah. Just teleporting up to his tower real quick to give it a whooping. even though it has nothing to do with the real sauron's existence

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I want to say that the level progression was kind of engaging and somewhat different than the sphere grid but honestly I can't quite remember. Wikipedia says you learn new skills by doing old skills over and over a la Skyrim or whatever, but I don't remember it being that stupid and boring.

Honestly I think I ate it up because I played it right after FFX and was jonesing for the battle system.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 29, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ImpAtom posted:

You're five minutes behind them and also every single character is a thinly veiled budget knockoff of a LotR member except Aragorn totally hooks up with Eowyn instead and then you literally punch Sauron in the giant flaming eye

Fun fact: they're all unnamed background characters from the movies because they had to jump through the hoops of really weird licensing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Constantly showing up five minutes late" isn't too far off from most of FFV tbh

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Motto posted:

"Constantly showing up five minutes late" isn't too far off from most of FFV tbh

In World 1 especially. Every time you find a crystal it is just seconds from shattering. No wonder you get put in jail in Karnak :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kelp Me! posted:

I want to say that the level progression was kind of engaging and somewhat different than the sphere grid but honestly I can't quite remember. Wikipedia says you learn new skills by doing old skills over and over a la Skyrim or whatever, but I don't remember it being that stupid and boring.
It isn't like Skyrim... because Skyrim was better. It literally hinged on using previous skills so you had to use a piece of poo poo you didn't want in a trash encounter just to level up enough to get a new one.

Or else I'm misremembering but I remember it being a garbage fire.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Third Age was a better game than Skyrim for sure. Even if you only take the premise and weird boss fight against the eye, it's a better game than Skyrim because the bar for clearing that is underground.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Treating Skyrim as a terrifying descent into the minds of Nexus Mods is pretty good, though I am not sure one can properly call that a game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bloodychill posted:

Treating Skyrim as a terrifying descent into the minds of Nexus Mods is pretty good, though I am not sure one can properly call that a game.

Case in point, Touch the Skyrim. https://youtu.be/Onzu_r-O7YA

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

come on master chief, we're leaving

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hell yeah, tier time:

S tier:
6, 9, 14

A tier:
10, 7, 4, 3

B tier:
12, 8, 5, 15

C tier:
11, 1, 2, 13

FF6 wins because it's probably the most diverse game of the series. Kefka is the best villain because he succeeds in destroying the world. 9 goes back to the series roots and has some of the most memorable fights. 14 is special because after being completely terrible, the game gets shut down and on top of that, they use lore to explain that Bahamut got summoned and screwed the planet over, so you get sent into the future afterward when the game relaunches. It sets up for one of the best raid experiences.

The White Dragon posted:

final fantasy has been trying to turn me gay since ff10 and it finally succeeded

FF7 has a literal gay sex scene (albeit it's technically optional), and you're saying the gay conversion started at 10?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Tier List:

Great: 1, 15, 12, 10
Good: 8, 3, 11, 6
Decent: 5, 7, 13, 14
Bad: 4, 2, 9

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks FF thread for introducing me to the phrases "job indecision" and "analysis paralysis" :lol:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the proper way to play ff5 is to use the cutest costumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
everyone's a beastmaster except krile, who is a white mage