Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baronash posted:

If you're seriously recommending 4K for a 20 inch tv (hell, even a 40 inch tv), then you've bought into the hype.

I mean.....no? I don't own a 4K TV myself. I was just saying if that's the next thing that's gonna become commonplace and the poster is gonna keep this TV for 20 years again, it would make sense to go for that. Didn't realise they didn't make em below 40 anyway. Did a 4K TV kill your family or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Did a 4K TV kill your family or something?

Yes, stop triggering me!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

Don't worry about any of that. If the TV is flat and less then $100, buy it. Good TVs are dirt cheap these days and if you're looking for something computer monitor sized you shouldn't be paying more than $100. Element is a good cheap brand and you can get one brand new for $80 at Target.

That's what I thought. Once burned (got Rambus RAM in my computer for the approx. one year it was a thing, at which point upgrades became much more expensive than DDR, and also grew up back when changing standards hadn't normalized on things like universal plugs), forever shy of just going out and getting something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bruceski posted:

That's what I thought. Once burned (got Rambus RAM in my computer for the approx. one year it was a thing, at which point upgrades became much more expensive than DDR

Oh my, I had the same thing happen. That was the last PC I bought prefab. Suck a dick Dell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anything under 55" these days is largely trash as the margins are too low to put out quality at those price points. At below 40"? It really doesn't matter at all what you buy, period. TVs in those size ranges are completely disposable commodities. Throw a dart at a best buy ad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

Oh my, I had the same thing happen. That was the last PC I bought prefab. Suck a dick Dell.

Same folks. I think Dell were the ones who were trying to make it a thing in desktops when everyone else was busy standardizing. I've had nightmares after that of "everything uses GDHQ ports now, didn't you make sure that had some when you bought it?"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was watching X-Files on Netflix a couple years ago and stalled out after s7e15. Is there anything good left I should watch before it goes away

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Getting burned is just something you should expect when you buy dell. I've made the mistake of buying a couple of Dell laptops in the past, and none of them ever went more than 2 years or so before they either started suffering hardware failure of some kind, or physically started falling apart.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Getting burned is just something you should expect when you buy dell. I've made the mistake of buying a couple of Dell laptops in the past, and none of them ever went more than 2 years or so before they either started suffering hardware failure of some kind, or physically started falling apart.

This was back in like 2001, and to its credit, that PC ran for like 6 years+. You're right about the state of things these days though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have an e1505 from 2006 that's still going strong. It even took the win 10 update fine.

My current XPS 15 (2015) is fantastic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah so you're definitely going to have to get on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, like, ASAP. When your main character is an aspiring stand-up in 1958 and you put her in the back of a cop car with Lenny Motherfucking Bruce after her climactic performance, you are putting your massive loving balls right on the table for anyone to smash. Luckily for ASP, she can write her rear end off, and Rachel Brosnahan, perhaps like Sutton Foster and Lauren Graham before her, can act the gently caress out of it.

Going back to the this post. This show was really good pretty much solely on the back of Rachel Brosnahan and surprisingly Alex Borstein. A total waste of Tony Shalhoub though. And having Luke Kirby from Rectify as Lenny Bruce did not work for me at all. Thank goodness that appears to be a one time thing. But man, Rachel Brosnahan owns this role in a way we rarely see in shows. It's possible this show might be something like in the vein of House where the show around it nothing special but the lead performance is so good it's a much watch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Good news as Netflix has renewed The Santa Clarita Diet.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

muscles like this! posted:

Very good news

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I found Santa Clarita Diet to be very mediocre.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Snak posted:

I found Santa Clarita Diet to be very mediocre.

You son of a bitch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't hate it. Some parts were real great. The daughter and neighbor's kid were my favorite parts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Timothy Olyphant looked like he didn't give a gently caress and was just enjoying being in the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SCD is real good but the worst part was probably the way it left off. Glad we'll get resolution, though.

6 eps deep on Patriot. It's not the masterpiece many goons will have you believe, but it's still real fuckin fun and enjoyable and captures that Coens tone better than even the Fargo show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Amazon Pilot Season is here, I've only watched Budding Prospects because "weed haha". It's actually very good but the premise of the series is that it takes place on a farm in a small town and by the end of the pilot the characters haven't even visited it yet so it's very hard to say if the series would be good or not since we have no idea what kind of stuff they'd be doing other than "Weeds, but with young actual stoners, and in a rural area instead of the suburbs"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Echoing what someone said earlier, I'm not sure Timothy Olyphant is a good actor. Don't get me wrong, I really like him, and he was loving perfect for his role in Justified, but the more I see him, the more I think he has more natural charisma than actual range as an actor.

I also did not care for Drew Barrymore's performance at all. Least favorite part of the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

6 eps deep on Patriot. It's not the masterpiece many goons will have you believe, but it's still real fuckin fun and enjoyable and captures that Coens tone better than even the Fargo show.

I'll be interested to see how you feel after the last 3 episodes, which for me are what pushed it over the top into "masterpiece" territory.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You know what's a show that doesn't get enough attention (even from me, because I really need to finish the season)....

High Maintenance. Nice combination of comedy/drama, short story anthologies plumbing some real heartfelt emotions and character interactions. Definitely recommended.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

That's about 20 inches more than I need. I'm looking for something on the "computer monitor with an antenna jack" side of things and will be headed to the store to browse tomorrow. I just don't know what the line is right now between "useful tech" (digital for example, which is of course universal now) and "paying for the privilege of having the best tech" (4K resolution, OLED, stuff like that)

I actually have two of those 40" units, one of which is my primary computer monitor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

This was back in like 2001, and to its credit, that PC ran for like 6 years+. You're right about the state of things these days though.

The early Pentium 4s, released in 2001 and 2002, actually required RDRAM to work, which is why Dell put it in all their machines.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

4K would be better if you want a TV that'll last you another 20 years, but it definitely isn't necessary

lol if you think a modern piece of electronics will last even 10

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I watched the first episode of Patriot last night and The guy who got pushed in front of a truck appearing at the end and having trouble speaking made me really sad because he seemed like such a nice dude. I just want to know how screwed that guy is on a scale of 1-10 so I can be prepared for the worst.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

muscles like this! posted:

I hope the next season ends at a better stopping point than the first one did.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

I watched the first episode of Patriot last night and The guy who got pushed in front of a truck appearing at the end and having trouble speaking made me really sad because he seemed like such a nice dude. I just want to know how screwed that guy is on a scale of 1-10 so I can be prepared for the worst.

Just keep watching. They cover it in the next episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

You know what's a show that doesn't get enough attention (even from me, because I really need to finish the season)....

High Maintenance. Nice combination of comedy/drama, short story anthologies plumbing some real heartfelt emotions and character interactions. Definitely recommended.

Yeah this show is great. Most of the web series stuff is excellent too. WATCH IT EVERYONE

AND THEN WATCH PATRIOT TOO COS IT'S HELLA FUN I've finished ep 7 and cannot wait to start on the last 3 tomorrow it's getting super tense

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Superrodan posted:

As with everything else on the show, it always tends towards 1.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Superrodan posted:

Ugh I knowwwwwwwww, it seems to be pretty polarizing, some people think its so twisted its great, but I just felt bad, I didn't get much humor out of it. He is in slow recovery the entire season, they keep him around because Patriot guy is so terrible at the job, and even though he's super brain damaged he can still work like a savant.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I actually have two of those 40" units, one of which is my primary computer monitor.

Do you use it from across the room? I think I'd go cross-eyed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah this show is great. Most of the web series stuff is excellent too. WATCH IT EVERYONE

AND THEN WATCH PATRIOT TOO COS IT'S HELLA FUN I've finished ep 7 and cannot wait to start on the last 3 tomorrow it's getting super tense

Right where you are but taking a pause. Don't want it to end.

e:

bring back old gbs posted:

Ugh I knowwwwwwwww, it seems to be pretty polarizing, some people think its so twisted its great, but I just felt bad, I didn't get much humor out of it. He is in slow recovery the entire season, they keep him around because Patriot guy is so terrible at the job, and even though he's super brain damaged he can still work like a savant.

That's the point, and it's supposed to be sad. That's the pathos of the thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The off-brand refurbed flatscreen I bought in 2007 is still truckin' along, albeit relegated to the bedroom. It's heavy as a motherfucker and ridiculously thick compared to modern ones but it has no problems other than the remote is hosed and has survived 4 moves.

I think my 360 also still works aside from a noisey unbalanced fan in the psu but I haven't hooked it up lately.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I have a 42" plasma TV that my groomsmen bought me as a wedding gift in July 2007, and it's still going strong -- and that was at a time when all the experts said plasmas' life expectancy was about five years.

Best part? It's HP-brand. I didn't even know they made TVs.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I have a 42" plasma TV that my groomsmen bought me as a wedding gift in July 2007, and it's still going strong -- and that was at a time when all the experts said plasmas' life expectancy was about five years.

Those are usually rebadges from other manufacturers.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

whowhatwhere posted:

As with everything else on the show, it always tends towards 1.

Did we watch the same show?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IRQ posted:

The off-brand refurbed flatscreen I bought in 2007 is still truckin' along, albeit relegated to the bedroom. It's heavy as a motherfucker and ridiculously thick compared to modern ones but it has no problems other than the remote is hosed and has survived 4 moves.

I think my 360 also still works aside from a noisey unbalanced fan in the psu but I haven't hooked it up lately.

Timby posted:

2007 was a good year for the pixel harvest, you two lucked out

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy gently caress I hate every character of this dumb scrubs spinoff slash scrubs season nine except the smoking hot australian lady who shows up every three episodes or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just want a tv show where a kinda broken character inadvertently says I love you to a girlfriend isn't the basis for an entire episode

• Locked thread