Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2suljce148

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Wait? So there was another Beast Boy? Or is that the same Beast Boy from the last movie, just even younger? Also that team seems more interesting that the current one. :smith:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ToastyPotato posted:

Wait? So there was another Beast Boy? Or is that the same Beast Boy from the last movie, just even younger? Also that team seems more interesting that the current one. :smith:

I think that's some kind of flashback. That's not Damian.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

catlord posted:

I think that's some kind of flashback. That's not Damian.

That's what I mean. Wasn't Beastboy already pretty young in the last film? Or am I just remembering wrong? For some reason I thought he was closer to Damian's age in TT vs. JL. So if this were a flashback, how does he look nearly the same age? Or does Beastboy not age normally? Google image search has him looking younger than Blue Beetle for sure. He's the second smallest person on the team.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Maybe he's just a short guy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've been working my way through Batman: TAS for the first time in a literal decade, and I was wondering why it hasn't gotten a Blu-Ray upgrade considering how popular it was? What little info I can find points to a few possible answers;

1) Bruce Timm doesn't want the upgrade as he sees the series as an homage to the Fleischer cartoons
2) The episodes were mastered on video and would require a monumental amount of restoration work (much like Star Trek: TNG)
3) The Justice League BDs sold poorly

Anyone know anything different?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've been working my way through Batman: TAS for the first time in a literal decade, and I was wondering why it hasn't gotten a Blu-Ray upgrade considering how popular it was? What little info I can find points to a few possible answers;

1) Bruce Timm doesn't want the upgrade as he sees the series as an homage to the Fleischer cartoons
2) The episodes were mastered on video and would require a monumental amount of restoration work (much like Star Trek: TNG)

If they don't have the original animation cells they'd basically have to redraw the entire series to make a noticeable upgrade in quality, TNG was shot on film and they had access to the original film for most of it, the big issue was any of the effects shots with TNG and Batman would basically count as nothing but effect shots.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because anything even remotely niche won't sell. Nerds don't spend money unless it's on Funko Pops.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Unmature posted:

Because anything even remotely niche won't sell. Nerds don't spend money unless it's on Funko Pops. anime body pillows

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

If they don't have the original animation cells they'd basically have to redraw the entire series to make a noticeable upgrade in quality, TNG was shot on film and they had access to the original film for most of it, the big issue was any of the effects shots with TNG and Batman would basically count as nothing but effect shots.

Yeah basically this is the most likely issue. And it's important to remember that the TNG blu-rays sold for poo poo because people would rather watch the 4:3 un-remastered version on netflix than have to like... buy a blu-ray set and like, put it in their blu-ray player. The push for more fidelity is well and truly dead now that the people have spoken and they want convenience and low prices instead. A BTAS blu-ray would be competing with past releases, and only the most die-hard fans would go for it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah basically this is the most likely issue. And it's important to remember that the TNG blu-rays sold for poo poo because people would rather watch the 4:3 un-remastered version on netflix than have to like... buy a blu-ray set and like, put it in their blu-ray player. The push for more fidelity is well and truly dead now that the people have spoken and they want convenience and low prices instead. A BTAS blu-ray would be competing with past releases, and only the most die-hard fans would go for it.
Also, ST:TNG sets were always ridiculously expensive and the people who bought the series one time already probably weren't too stoked about buying it all over again.'

Also, buying tv shows on disc lol

Also, I thought ST:TNG on netflix was the remastered version.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 22, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I bought Batman '66 on Blu-Ray since it's not streaming anywhere. Yaaay. (Plus it was on sale for like $50 for the entire series.)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I do miss the good old days of listening to every Simpsons DVD commentary.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

Also, I thought ST:TNG on netflix was the remastered version.

I mean, maybe eventually they put up the remastered version there in an attempt to recoup costs, but at the time, nah.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I do miss the good old days of listening to every Simpsons DVD commentary.

Listening to Family Guy commentary tracks is how I got over liking Family Guy.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

redbackground posted:

Also, buying tv shows on disc lol

My roommate bought The Complete Buffy for like :50bux: which had 39 discs. We made it halfway through Season 1 before just torrenting it because gently caress changing the discs.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Having physical media on hand is useful when your internet connection is down and more secure than digital episodes, which can be pulled at the providers' discretion.

Physical media is cool and good. I can't imagine being too lazy to change discs.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Digital files are the absolute best. My Roku has a playlist of the first ten seasons of the Simpsons, I don't need an Internet connection and I don't have to change discs.

I guess I do need my home wireless network but you can use it with an ether net cable if you wanted.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah, offline digital files are the best of both worlds.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Toshimo posted:

My roommate bought The Complete Buffy for like :50bux: which had 39 discs. We made it halfway through Season 1 before just torrenting it because gently caress changing the discs.

There's lazy, and then there's this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I started ripping my spinning plastic discs to my Plex server, but stopped when I realized it's way easier and faster to just :filez: them. I don't really have any ethical qualms about this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HIJK posted:

Physical media is cool and good. I can't imagine being too lazy to change discs.

:agreed:

Buncha lazy-rear end millennials ITT

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You see laziness, I see efficiency. Life's too short to change discs.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:agreed:

Buncha lazy-rear end millennials ITT

Syndicated television is cool and good. I can't imagine being too impatient to wait for your show to come on at it's scheduled time.

Buncha lazy-rear end gen xers ITT

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't mind changing discs if I'm powering through a show in order. But not having the full selection of a show's episodes if you want to browse through or select them from different seasons is a pain if they're split into discs. Like we have the Simpsons seasons 1-9 on a hard drive because it's way easier than sifting through our DVDs especially when we're doing a theme like Halloween or Christmas episodes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lobok posted:

I don't mind changing discs if I'm powering through a show in order. But not having the full selection of a show's episodes if you want to browse through or select them from different seasons is a pain if they're split into discs. Like we have the Simpsons seasons 1-9 on a hard drive because it's way easier than sifting through our DVDs especially when we're doing a theme like Halloween or Christmas episodes.

THIS ^^^

For sequential watching, discs are fine and good, and its nice to know if the internet is down for the day, you have a massive time sink option on hand (which is why I still buy physical movies) but watching non-sequential shows that span many discs is a bit annoying. Skimming through a list and playing the one you want is pretty good. Also agreed one the whole theme episode thing. And for when shows have episodes about a particular topic/story scattered across seasons and you only want to watch those episodes in a row.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Endless Mike posted:

I bought Batman '66 on Blu-Ray since it's not streaming anywhere. Yaaay. (Plus it was on sale for like $50 for the entire series.)

I got the deluxe set for about $100 when it was first made available.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lobok posted:

This is a good point. I retract my complaint.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

On the other hand, standing up once every 4 hours is a little too much effort for me

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress it, this is technically comics related and it looks like it might actually be good so, for your approval, a trailer for DuckTales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LNgU4e1rE

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DC is re-releasing the Wonder Woman animated film as a "Commemorative Edition" ahead of her big screen debut in June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2TNA78VZgQ

Doesn't say if they like remastered it or anything. Just a re-release. Either way, cool. More people should see it, and if you haven't, it's arguably one of DC's best animated features. Hoping they do more Wonder Woman animated films. Batman has had more than enough.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean I'd hope for more animated Wonder Woman movies too if their recent output has been so godawful. It's been a long time since they've made a good animated movie. I think maybe they should just take a break for a while.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Justice League Dark was pretty good tho

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

X-O posted:

I mean I'd hope for more animated Wonder Woman movies too if their recent output has been so godawful. It's been a long time since they've made a good animated movie. I think maybe they should just take a break for a while.

Or they could hire Lauren Montgomery to direct more WW animated films. Every DC animated feature she's directed are all my favorites.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Looked her up, and the only one of hers I didn't like was Doomsday. Loved all her other DC films. I guess she's working on Voltron now? I heard decent things about that show too.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

teagone posted:

Or they could hire Lauren Montgomery to direct more WW animated films. Every DC animated feature she's directed are all my favorites.

If you really want to relive the golden years, you need Montgomery, Bruce Timm, and Andrea Romano. The worst DC animated features are the ones that didn't employ the Holy Trinity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The special deluxe edition now with added scene of ww having sex

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ToastyPotato posted:

Looked her up, and the only one of hers I didn't like was Doomsday. Loved all her other DC films. I guess she's working on Voltron now? I heard decent things about that show too.

It's excellent. It's also by the same people who did Avatar, minus the creators. Though 2 seasons in it still meanders around the main plot more than it should, but they've apparently got like 6 more seasons planned.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Honestly, I found Voltron really dull. The characters weren't doing much for me, and the villains are especially boring.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Honestly, I found Voltron really dull. The characters weren't doing much for me, and the villains are especially boring.

Isn't Voltron just an excuse to have giant robots fight monsters in space? Doesn't seem like you need much of a "story" for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
There's surprisingly very little giant monster fighting (really)

It never really found a good balance between being a big toy commercial and being the serious dramatic series it sometimes wants to be. It's a little bipolar.

But yeah, they do most of the action on foot, surprisingly.