Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
If anyone is interested all the Battle Academy stuff is 75% currently as part of the Bundle Stars sale thing

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/games?search=Battle%20Academy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CMANO just released a bunch of new scenarios including a Mercenary Mission Set ala Strike Commander.

http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=4440

The Cuban Missile Crisis one looks pretty interesting too.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Which reminds me: is that Community Pack curated in some way beyond "post a link to your scenario here and I will include it?"

I've admired the quality of the few I've played, but wasn't sure if I was just getting lucky or if there's some sort of quality control.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Hi, my name is bgreman and I have an addiction. I am now addicted to CMANO.

Not so much playing it as watching videos of it, which is strange, as I have never really been able to get into watching videos of others playing games.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

bgreman posted:

Hi, my name is bgreman and I have an addiction. I am now addicted to CMANO.

Not so much playing it as watching videos of it, which is strange, as I have never really been able to get into watching videos of others playing games.

Rock on man. I've been getting into it quite a bit lately myself. No videos as of yet, but today I did a statistical analysis of 1970's era US sub technology in relation to hunting soviet nuclear submarines.

Yah, it's an odd addiction we have isn't it?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Afghanistan '11 is really fun. Just wish it was cheaper but that's grog games.

It's hard too, and that's probably the point. I didn't realize healing troops required supply in the FOB. So I was in this death spiral where my PP (the game's currency) was constantly in the negative because of injured troops, I couldn't resupply because the chinooks kept getting shot at on the way over, and the Taliban just keep coming. It doesn't help that even special forces in general cannot defeat taliban militias and Apaches have a lot of trouble killing technicals.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

bgreman posted:

It's weirdly compelling to watch, isn't it? Also I'd like to genuinely know more about your years long complex space sim Let's Play.

Edit: Okay never mind turns out it's still going and your post history gave me the link I needed.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
When can we have War in The Pacific AE using the CMNAO engine? Soon please.

skooma512 posted:

Afghanistan '11 is really fun.

I do not believe this. This is literally unbelievable to given my experience with Vietnam 65.

Yooper posted:

He set down his Rush Limbaugh coffee mug and let out a resigned sigh. First they'd convinced him to add "artwork" to the hexes. Well, we didn't need artwork when I designed boardgames for SPI, he thought. It wasn't anger that ran through him but disdain, disdain for those who would never be satisfied at the effort he put into modernizing the user interface of his games. Would they ever know how hard he thought on the best possible layout? No. No he decided, they wouldn't. What would do better than every button in a line? It was like his DVORAK keyboard. Perfect.

At that he pushed himself back from his desk and ran his gnarled coders fingers through his rich gray beard. Someone told him to get his games on Steam. Hah. Not likely. He thought back to Prodigy, AOL, and even that colossus that was Compuserve. What did Steam have on any of those giants of the original internet. He liked that age better. Usenet just felt... proper.

Pangs of hunger rumbled through him. He glanced up at the rust streaked shelves and wondered if it was all worth it. Maybe he would do that price increase.

At that he stood. His knees cracked. He set off to open another can of Fancy Feast. "God," he said under his breath, "I hope there's some savory salmon left."

This is good, but it was even better when I read it in a heavy peninsular accent. :worship:

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 28, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Edit.

Double post

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

bgreman posted:

On that note, I'll be doing my real-time streamed playthrough of the 24hr scenario 'Yankee Team' next Wednesday, 5th of April. Don't know when I'll kick it off yet. Will probably do a test playthrough of Yankee Team on the weekend.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

On that note, I'll be doing my real-time streamed playthrough of the 24hr scenario 'Yankee Team' next Wednesday, 5th of April. Don't know when I'll kick it off yet. Will probably do a test playthrough of Yankee Team on the weekend.

So I just read about a dude on twitch doing a 24 gaming session who dropped dead...

I mention this only as a way to emphasize the following: I enjoy sleep way to much to ever be down with playing anything for 24 hours in real time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

So I just read about a dude on twitch doing a 24 gaming session who dropped dead...

I mention this only as a way to emphasize the following: I enjoy sleep way to much to ever be down with playing anything for 24 hours in real time.

It's things like this and Silent Hunter in real time that make me truly appreciate sleep. Also, not enough happens in CMANO minute by minute for me to have to be at my desk all that time so I probably won't kill myself doing it.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

ZombieLenin posted:

I do not believe this. This is literally unbelievable to given my experience with Vietnam 65.

I liked Vietnam 65?
:shrug:

Seems pretty polarizing, although many of the negative reviews seem to come from people who didn't really give it enough of a chance to get past the simple seeming first impression. I wouldn't really call it a grog game, though; it's barely even a wargame.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It's happening.

A Strike Commander meets CMANO Let's Play. You are the executives of a PMC and call the shots. I run it in CMANO. What could possibly go wrong?

Strike Command : The Commandering

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Anyone know what's going on here? It looks like there should be more options visible to the right and below but I can't resize the window.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

fuf posted:

Anyone know what's going on here? It looks like there should be more options visible to the right and below but I can't resize the window.

I've read that deleting the command.ini file fixes it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks, that worked :)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Sorry, another Command question:

Just now I had a jet on a patrol mission and I wanted to redirect it to engage a couple of planes that popped up outside the patrol area. I added a new "Air Intercept" mission with the two planes as targets, then took my jet off the patrol mission and assigned it to the new strike mission.

Instead of moving to engage the planes his status changed to "RTB (Mission Over)" and he flew all the way home and wasn't available for hours. I tried getting him to engage manually with F1 but he was determined to RTB.

What should I have done instead? I guess I could have moved the patrol mission reference points to encompass the new targets but I wanted to keep other planes in the original area.

e: also, is there a way to see a plane on the ground's status and "Time to ready" without having to scroll over to its airbase and clicking the "aircraft" button? I wish that info was on the mission editor screen.

fuf fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 29, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You should have just micromanaged the plane

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
There's also a checkbox in the mission editor to allow planes to engage targets outside of the patrol area.

But yes, at some level you need to micro sometimes - there are limits to what can be accomplished with the mission system.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Doing the first tutorial and the CAP F-16s are flying into AA if you just give them a zone. Is there a way to cut parts out with another zone or something to make them not fly over AA emplacements? They don't give a gently caress and just fly blindly into the known you'll-get-shot-down zone.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You can make zones concave or convex.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well I was hoping to blanket the whole area and then cut out a no fly zone in the middle but I can probably do some creative point placement. It's just a bit of a pain as I figured the pilots would be smarter than that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Well I was hoping to blanket the whole area and then cut out a no fly zone in the middle but I can probably do some creative point placement. It's just a bit of a pain as I figured the pilots would be smarter than that.

Better to set the patrol zone outside of AA range and use a target prosecution zone over the area.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gonna be a new ~cmano standalone~

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=693

with:

a 12 scenario US - Chinese world war 3 campaign! (+4 non campaign scenarios too)

NEW! Communications disruption by network/cyber attack or any other arbitrary factor: Isolated units realistically limit their tactical awareness to only what they themselves can detect and engage, and are completely on their parent side of control. Say goodbye to Borg-view of the battlefield!
NEW! Cargo, landing and airdrop operations. Load mobile forces on ships, aircraft and even submarines, and unload them on any suitable point on the battlefield. Platforms are realistically limited by volume, weight and crew on what they can transport.
NEW! Comprehensive damage model for aircraft. Aircraft may be shot down outright or receive damage that will still allow them to limp back home. Different aircraft can absorb different punishment on their fuselage, cockpit and engines. Depending on the amount of damage received a plane may be "mission killed" if its repairs take so long that it misses the fight.
NEW! Advanced weapons for the new age of war. Tactical EMP weapons, railguns, high-energy lasers and more!

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

Very exciting :words:

Those words are very exciting!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Baloogs putting in more marketing engagement than Matrix Games.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

with:

a 12 scenario US - Chinese world war 3 campaign! (+4 non campaign scenarios too)

NEW! Communications disruption by network/cyber attack or any other arbitrary factor: Isolated units realistically limit their tactical awareness to only what they themselves can detect and engage, and are completely on their parent side of control. Say goodbye to Borg-view of the battlefield!
NEW! Cargo, landing and airdrop operations. Load mobile forces on ships, aircraft and even submarines, and unload them on any suitable point on the battlefield. Platforms are realistically limited by volume, weight and crew on what they can transport.
NEW! Comprehensive damage model for aircraft. Aircraft may be shot down outright or receive damage that will still allow them to limp back home. Different aircraft can absorb different punishment on their fuselage, cockpit and engines. Depending on the amount of damage received a plane may be "mission killed" if its repairs take so long that it misses the fight.
NEW! Advanced weapons for the new age of war. Tactical EMP weapons, railguns, high-energy lasers and more!

When

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Baloogan posted:

with:

This is gonna be Trumps

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Lasers and railguns!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I wanna shoot a railgun projectile that's a laser discoball.

poo poo, I want to shoot *canister shot* of laser discoballs.

:pcgaming:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sounds fantastic. The aviation damage parts in particular. Also will be interesting to see how effective a ship mounted railgun is. Against other ships in particular :getin:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Baloogan make ground combat

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Dandywalken posted:

Sounds fantastic. The aviation damage parts in particular. Also will be interesting to see how effective a ship mounted railgun is. Against other ships in particular :getin:

Just make sure it doesn't miss by half a klick.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That's a valid point. Wonder what the time of flight would be to max range, and if theres a possibility of some precision capabilities for rounds if conditions aren't too extreme.

I imagine we'll see alot of laser CIWS too, or at least the introduction of it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Phi230 posted:

Baloogan make ground combat

Make WiPAE 2 with your engine (and this ground combat engine). Thanks.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Make WiPAE 2 with your engine (and this ground combat engine). Thanks.

Want.
But the whole world, not just the Pacific.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Fantastic news!

Since the new scenarios can be played inside of vanilla CMANO, is it safe to assume some or all of these new features are coming to the base game? Or are things like the new cargo operations done somehow through scenario script trickery?

EDIT: Not to say that I'm not buying it either way. :homebrew:

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 30, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tetraptous posted:

the new cargo operations done somehow through scenario script trickery?

the new cargo is ~not~ scenario script trickery :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Baloogan posted:

the new cargo is ~not~ scenario script trickery :3:

You guys don't disappoint! :swoon: