Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

1 - Battle on the Big Bridge

2 -everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
how is episode gladiolus

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gologle posted:

I completely forgot about the Shiva theme until you linked it. Since we can both admit that FFXIV's is probably the best soundtrack for sheer number of songs, which is the thread's favorite? I still love Under the Weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T1k-9UvdlU&t=179s

Mostly for the lyrics.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I HAVE ACTUALLY BEATEN THIS GAME tier:
FF1, FF2, FF3, FF4 (SNES, PS and DS), FF5, FF6, FF7, DoC, Crisis Core, FF8, FF9, FF10 and 10-2, FF12, Revenant Wings, FF13 (all three), FFXV, Tactics, Dissidia

I LIKE THIS GAME BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON HAVEN'T BEATEN IT tier:
FF11

I PLAYED IT A LITTLE BIT AND THEN STOPPED tier:
Type 0, Chronicles for the GC, Tactics A2, Mystic Quest, Tactics A, FFXIV, the After Years, Dissidia 2.

HAVEN'T PLAYED EVER tier:
Chronicles for Wii, WoFF, the Music games.

ABSOLUTE BOTTOM
Every single game made for mobile.

That's a lot of FF games.

corn in the bible posted:

how is episode gladiolus

Fun but short. You can unlock a nice outfit. It costs about as much as a character in a figting game so I have no problem with the price.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 30, 2017

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
the worst char theme is relm

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
BEATEN THIS GAME AND IT'S WONDERFUL tier: FFIV, FFV, FFIX, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, Mystic Quest, Theatrhythm: Curtain Call
BEATEN THIS GAME AND EHHHH tier: The After Years, FFXIII
PLAYING THIS GAME AND IT'S WONDERFUL tier: FFVI, FFXV, Brave Exvius, World of Final Fantasy
STARTED THIS GAME LONG AGO AND IT'S PROBABLY WONDERFUL BUT I NEED FO RESTART tier: FFVII
WANT TO PLAY tier: FFI, FFII, FFVIII, FFXIII sequels, FFXIV, FFT, Dissidia 012, p. much every other spinoff
WILL I TORTURE MYSELF WITH COMPLETIONISM tier: FFIII, FFXI

(THIS HAS LIKE THE ENTIRE VOICE CAST OF FFX AND IS NOT ACTUALLY A GAME tier: The Animatrix)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
FF6 would be an incredibly dumb game with insanely dumb characters if the entire game wasn't told directly through its soundtrack

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fridge corn posted:

FF6 would be an incredibly dumb game with insanely dumb characters if the entire game wasn't told directly through its soundtrack

It's actually super good and your opinions are wrong, mate. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but some lessons just gotta be learnt

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
For the immensely important record, here are the tiers I put the main (so non-sequel) Final Fantasies. The ones in italics are the ones I haven't played, but where I assume they are based on what I do know. Since FF games are all about coming up with something new to add to things, that's an integral part of the judgement criteria; both the actual quality of the game and the idea they're setting out to achieve.

"Hits a home goddamn run on a good idea and is genuinely great" A-Tier: V, VII, Tactics, IX, XIV
"Solid effort and idea, but fumbled somewhere" B-Tier: I, VI, VIII, X, XII
"I respect what you're trying but it didn't quite work" C-Tier: I, II, IV, XIII*
"Maybe don't bother" D-Tier: III**, XI, XV

*XIII is more accurately a C-minus that doesn't quite fit in any category. I don't think it's necessarily got ideas worth pursuing by itself, but Lightning Returns generally proved that it had the potential for a good game somewhere in there, it wasn't an unsalvageable mess.
**I am cognitively aware that III is probably even worse than this, but I respect what it added to the whole series too much to rate it accordingly.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Final Fantasy games I have experienced one way or another and enjoyed: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15
FF games I'm unfamiliar with but are probably cool if you're into them: 11, 14

Video games, are good. :colbert:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Die Sexmonster! posted:

It's actually super good and your opinions are wrong, mate. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but some lessons just gotta be learnt

Wtf are you on about? Did you even read my post?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

good tier: world of balance
bad tier: world of ruin

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

*XIII is more accurately a C-minus that doesn't quite fit in any category. I don't think it's necessarily got ideas worth pursuing by itself, but Lightning Returns generally proved that it had the potential for a good game somewhere in there, it wasn't an unsalvageable mess.

I don't think this logic follows because LR is nothing like XIII in any way.
Now if you had said XIII-2 I could see your point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"Ladies and Gents, how do we fix FFXIII's combat for FFXIII-2"
"We let people use all of it..."
"At the start."

- put it on that hiimdaisy big boss gasping face comic

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think this logic follows because LR is nothing like XIII in any way.
Now if you had said XIII-2 I could see your point.

I haven't played XIII-2, and being that I only watched an LP I still can't see it as anything but Stupid Chrono Trigger, but I'll concede that. Point is, the sequels proved that it was possible to make a good FFXIII, even if they didn't exactly justify its existence.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

jaclynhyde posted:

PLAYING THIS GAME AND IT'S WONDERFUL tier: FFVI, FFXV, Brave Exvius, World of Final Fantasy
I see Gumi hasn't broken you yet :shepface: Don't worry, you'll hate FFBE in time.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I see Gumi hasn't broken you yet :shepface: Don't worry, you'll hate FFBE in time.

Oh, anything involving RNG and drop rates is hell, but the original story and characters are genuinely fun and the sprites for other FF characters are adorable.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Renoistic posted:

I HAVE ACTUALLY BEATEN THIS GAME tier:
FF1, FF2, FF3, FF4 (SNES, PS and DS), FF5, FF6, FF7, DoC, Crisis Core, FF8, FF9, FF10 and 10-2, FF12, Revenant Wings, FF13 (all three), FFXV, Tactics, Dissidia

I LIKE THIS GAME BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON HAVEN'T BEATEN IT tier:
FF11

I PLAYED IT A LITTLE BIT AND THEN STOPPED tier:
Type 0, Chronicles for the GC, Tactics A2, Mystic Quest, Tactics A, FFXIV, the After Years, Dissidia 2.

HAVEN'T PLAYED EVER tier:
Chronicles for Wii, WoFF, the Music games.

ABSOLUTE BOTTOM
Every single game made for mobile.

That's a lot of FF games.

Fun but short. You can unlock a nice outfit. It costs about as much as a character in a figting game so I have no problem with the price.

But you don't get to switch to galdiolus ingame right, that's weird

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

jaclynhyde posted:

Oh, anything involving RNG and drop rates is hell, but the original story and characters are genuinely fun and the sprites for other FF characters are adorable.

I like that it's a gacha-based game that doesn't leave you totally reliant on rare stuff. In Record Keeper I was totally at the mercy of the RNG giving me very specific good items, but in Bexvius I've only ever gotten one 5-star rarity unit and I've still got a top-class lineup at my disposal. I have to work a little harder than someone luckier, sure, but I'm not screwed out of a good team or forced to use chaeacters I don't like.

This view might come from the types of units I've got, though. I've made my other Bexvius-playing friends jealous with my team, even with lesser ranks.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Josuke Higashikata posted:

"At the start."

I've seen some people here say this a couple of times, and I've been looking into 13-2 again recently...and I just don't see it? Beyond the normal balance issues from the Monsters, it feels like they gutted the abilities of the human characters and took out a lot of the nuance which made things fun.

Their Syn roles are super boring, they only seem to have Protect/Shell/Veil/Vigilance (only on Noel, sadly). But why none of the offensive buffs like Haste/Bravery/En-spells? Or even Bar-spells, which were a neat idea that just needed different enemy balance to use on. They weren't really broken in 13 since a lot of the later encounters would take them into account. Probably the biggest dynamic change that doesn't sit well with me.

Their Sab roles don't have Daze/Slow. Their Sentinel roles don't have Challenge/Steelguard/Elude. Again, they made it so that the roles have the same basic functions, but they cut out the variety in their abilities. A lot of fun from 13 was that almost all the abilities had a good use in various places, and it sucks to see this reduced.

Technically, they threw these onto monsters, but then that goes right back to the other big problem for 13-2 balance that monsters are just ridiculous. 13-2 on the outside has the look of the 13 system since it still has the basic mechanics, but the nuance isn't there imo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah 13-2 sucks too

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's been a while but I could swear Serah an Noel have Bravery and Faith. I remember being annoyed only monsters had access to the full party Bravery/Faith spells though.

But yeah, the monsters obviously have all the best support skills because then you can focus on attacking. Most people probably didn't want to be a SEN in XIII, even if it was only for a few seconds, so best just shove that role off onto one of the monsters. I think monsters do every role better han Serah and Noel but even disregarding stats, they have better SEN, SAB or SYN abilities so you can focus on just attacking.

That was my impression anyway. There's no denying XIII-2 is a substantially easier game than XIII but that doesn't bother me because XIII was just not fun to play at all. That "nuance" is only there when you get to Pulse, when the plot shits the bed and they decide suddenly that they want to make a whole different game.

I'll take XIII-2's simplified gameplay where I can at least enjoy playing the game and wandering around instead of going from cutscene to cutscene via a hallway.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"At the start."

- put it on that hiimdaisy big boss gasping face comic

Speeding up paradigm shifting was also huge.

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah 13-2 sucks too

hmm. wrong.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What all is there for PS4 that I need to get other than XIV and XV? Is WoFF good?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

COOL CORN posted:

What all is there for PS4 that I need to get other than XIV and XV? Is WoFF good?

WoFF is charming as hell and good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
S tier: 9, 6, lost odyssey
A tier: 1, 4, 5, 7
B tier: 10, 14
C tier: 11, 13
D tier: 2, 3, 8, 12
Z tier: 3-ds
god tier: any s tier game but with :420:

i know a lot of guys will go to bat for 14, imo it's ok but in the end an mmo's an mmo. 15-pc is the game i'll be looking forward to the most for the next few years though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mambo de Chocobo is not only the best chocobo theme, but also the best song in the series without serious competition.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

COOL CORN posted:

I started playing WoFF and it's good. It's FF + Pokemon. It's an easy game and can probably be broken many ways if you do your setups right. Lots of cameos to go through too.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

It's been a while but I could swear Serah an Noel have Bravery and Faith. I remember being annoyed only monsters had access to the full party Bravery/Faith spells though.

Nope, they don't. Though I was apparently wrong about Vigilance, since Serah learns that too.

Minor point about the Sentinel thing you mentioned, I wasn't bringing that up from the perspective of "how fun are they to use yourself", but just in what natural abilities they have and what they can do. For example, Lightning was a cool sentinel in 13 because of how early you can get her to have Evade/Elude which was really handy for a bunch of fights. That would be regardless if it was AI controlled or not.

For your points about 13 opening up at Pulse/hallway simulator, yeah it's true and I guess that's just the different perspectives we have. The nuance in 13's systems actually are there from as early as Chapter 4 but it slowly builds up, and it's just walking from cutscene to cutscene all the way through. Personally I'm okay with that since I enjoy messing with the battle system; certainly more than I enjoy exploring the 13-2 environments which are okay but not super special imo.

Oh, I also forgot that I wanted to say that the Wound mechanic is interesting but I never felt it was applied all too well. In my experience, it either is only useful in extremely slow/tedious fights, or happens in fights that go by too fast (either cause you'd die too fast, or you can kill them fast). Not a big deal or anything, just wish it was used a bit more interestingly, unless I'm missing something.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

triple sulk posted:

The best chocobo music is the music for the fat chocobo mount in XIV and it isn't loving close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKKXRBK14GU

You mean this??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good tier: 4 5 6 7 9 10+sequels 12 13+sequels 15

Bad tier: 1 2 3 8

MMOs are poo poo tier: 11 14

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good: My favourite

Ok: All the rest, except...

Bad: Your favourite

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Good: My favourite

Ok: All the rest, except...

Bad: Your favourite

How dare you!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Good tier: 4 5 6 7 9 10+sequels 12 13+sequels 15

Bad tier: 1 2 3 8

MMOs are poo poo tier: 11 14

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anime Owns Tier: Final Fantasy Unlimited

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF14 has a more coherent and engaging story than FF12, 13 and 15.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Too bad it's an MMO so it's automatically garbage

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did not give a gently caress about 14's story until The Garlean Empire and Midgarsormr showed up and then the almost immediately took me back out of it with ARR's asinine ending

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

And yet it's still somehow more coherently and cohesively written than FF12, 13 and 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I don't remember, I was too busy farming titan hm and killing crabs.