Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

So I bought one year of Plus from Amazon to take advantage of the free 3 months and Showtime but it's been 3 days and I still haven't received any codes. Did anyone else have awhile before they got theirs?

It was fixed before you bought it, no code coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I kinda wonder if a Dark Souls cycle should exist now, similar to the Zelda cycle. I mean, I've always kind of preferred Dark Souls 2 for at least trying something new and failing compared to 3's fun but kind of boring rehash despite probably being a better overall than 2, but that was a fairly uncommon opinion for the first few months of Dark Souls 3's release. Was it the DLC of 3 (which I don't think anyone will refute as being the weakest in the series) which changed opinions?

To me, Dark Souls 3 kept a few of the worst aspects of Dark Souls 2 like the egregiously bad hitboxes and enemies being able to turn really quickly (granted it happens less often in 3 than 2 but it does still happen in 3) while keeping none of the good aspects of Dark Souls 2 like bonfire aesthetics, interesting NG+, variance of PvP builds, interesting Covenants while throwing in a lot of fanservice to Dark Souls 1 that felt really kind of cheap and unearned. I remember thinking that Dark Souls 3 was trying to purposefully ignore 2 as well, though the DLC adds a ton of references to 2 and even has you revisit Earthen Peak from 2. To me, the most interesting parts of 3 were when it tried to forge its own identity and the most boring parts were when it was all a giant Dark Souls 1 reference.

The difficulty of 3 is kinda odd too. In many ways it's the easiest Dark Souls game because you get so much healing, but it's also the game where I feel you suffer the cheapest hits because bosses like to flail like it's a Bloodborne boss and do ridiculous combo strings that you're never quite sure when it's safe to counter attack them and unlike Bloodborne, the mechanics don't really support bosses like that. Which is odd when Dark Souls 2 had effectively infinite healing with the lifegems and yet dying was still more common than dying in Dark Souls 3. It's weird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If Dark Souls 3 was anything short of a breath of the wild reimagining everyone would have complained about it, and then the other half would have complained it was too different. People had already turned on it before it came out. It's a great game and 90% of people's complaints about it are a load of crap imao.

The late narrative that has evolved that dark souls 2 was somehow better is laughable. I guess Stux probably feels validated

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The biggest DS2 feature missing from DS3 is the small white soapstone.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Dark Souls 3 has nothing that's anywhere near as stupid as the pile of rubble

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The real reason DS2 is bad is that they patched it to alert you to what the coffin did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

If Dark Souls 3 was anything short of a breath of the wild reimagining everyone would have complained about it, and then the other half would have complained it was too different. People had already turned on it before it came out. It's a great game and 90% of people's complaints about it are a load of crap imao.

The late narrative that has evolved that dark souls 2 was somehow better is laughable. I guess Stux probably feels validated

This is a pretty weird comment when people praise the poo poo out of Bloodborne.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like DS2 way more than 3 because DS2 is the only souls game that did pvp right. I had so much fun with pvp in DS2.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Instant Grat posted:

Dark Souls 3 has nothing that's anywhere near as stupid as the pile of rubble

Getting on the roof is pretty bad. Any human could easily scramble up. Not as bad as rubble, but still dumb.

I feel like DS2 had way more viable builds. Infinite enemy poise really made certain builds just better then others in DS3.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

This is a pretty weird comment when people praise the poo poo out of Bloodborne.

How so? If anything Bloodborne being released a year prior to dark souls 3 affected people's attitudes in regards to being "fatigued" by the series.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

How so? If anything Bloodborne being released a year prior to dark souls 3 affected people's attitudes in regards to being "fatigued" by the series.

I've replayed Bloodborne twice after getting bored with DS3.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just mostly think DS2's level and enemy design and art direction is not great and DS3's is much better

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Andrast posted:

I've replayed Bloodborne twice after getting bored with DS3.

I think Bloodborne is their best game so I don't know what you expect me to say there.

I'm saying people had it out for 3 before it even came out and people were gunning to complain about it. Bloodborne never faced the level of scrutiny Dark Souls 3 has.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I think Bloodborne is their best game so I don't know what you expect me to say there.

I'm saying people had it out for 3 before it even came out and people were gunning to complain about it. Bloodborne never faced the level of scrutiny Dark Souls 3 has.

I'm saying I disagree. People were loving giddy to get a DS game that wasn't DS2 because they didn't like it as much as 1 for one reason or other.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Wtf is this post?

Dark Souls 3 did Benghazi!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I cant wait for the Bloodborne 2 backlash.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Wtf is this post?

Dark Souls 3 did Benghazi!

If you don't think people were ready to complain about how 3 wasn't as good as golden calf Dark Souls 1, immediately upon playing it, then you aren't familiar with the internet.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Dark Souls 2 the best. :(

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Me too. I only played it post Scholar on ps4, I think that gave me a more favorable perspective. But it love it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I played Dark Souls 2 and I donut remember the pile of rubble you're talking about?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

When the #1 criticism of DS3 is that it's too samey and Bloodborne is praised for being different it seems weird to claim people would be upset if it was too different.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I'm still tied between Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. Probably because those two are the most outwardly atmospheric.

Also the Dragon Bone Smasher and Pilebunker are amazing and I love them. :swoon:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

I played Dark Souls 2 and I donut remember the pile of rubble you're talking about?

I don't really remember either, but i think it was just a lazy blocked path thing.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I liked dark souls 2 and 3. I didn't care for 3 until I rerolled from a str build to a faith/int pyro build though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey nerds the Wipeout collection is coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otsTMJytt9A

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ds1 is great because they force you to travel its world for half the game with no warping. Other than bloodborne having amazing combat that makes up for the lamp spam i wont ever feel the same way about a souls game again.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

If you don't think people were ready to complain about how 3 wasn't as good as golden calf Dark Souls 1, immediately upon playing it, then you aren't familiar with the internet.

I'm sure some people were doing that, but if there was a vast dumb hivemind conspiracy to hate on ds3 in 3... 2... 1... i must have missed that memo.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I played them in order of 3 - 1 - BB - 2

I think if you play 3 without the expectations (or even just the skill/mechanics learned) from the other games it comes off great, I really really enjoyed 3 as my entry to the series and it alone gave me the push to finally go back to DS1 and finish it and then BB, SotfS etc. I really think they chose to go this route to get more people who had never maybe tried the series into it and have that drive them into exploring the other games.

They all have their own appreciable quirks and major "strengths" IMO, I don't understand what the point of comparing them so directly is. All of them are different and have appreciable factors, all of them are at the least 7/10 games depending on your personal slant towards any of them.

The debate of the "best" souls like game is going to be eternal and there will never be a definitive answer, all of them have pro's and con's and blanket statements often cannot be applied to them.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Shadow225 posted:

The entire first half of the game is spent killing four of the most powerful creatures in the world (or amassing 1,000,000 soul memory) so you can open the Shrine of Winter, and all it does is let you bypass this pile of rubble

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

When the #1 criticism of DS3 is that it's too samey and Bloodborne is praised for being different it seems weird to claim people would be upset if it was too different.

There is a real thing with Dark Souls where they hate the current and venerate it's predecessor.

To bad there isn't gonna be a four to rescue three.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DS2 has the best multiplayer and covenants in the series by far. Invading the single player covenant guys was a real blast.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is a real thing with Dark Souls where they hate the current and venerate it's predecessor.

Or maybe people just have different opinions.

Crazy, I know.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
DS3 also had the problem of its similarities and rehashed nature being a deliberate nature of the plot and setting. The game has you encountering tweaked versions of NPC's from the first game and the whole world is exhausted and waiting to end for good. Which is a bold choice, but it does run the risk of making the player just as fatigued. I beat it once and never touched it again.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's the Zelda Cycle. Dark Souls is different DS1 is always TEH BEST.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

That's the Zelda Cycle. Dark Souls is different DS1 is always TEH BEST.

Sorry but Skyward sword continues to be bad (and TP continues to be mediocre)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

Or maybe people just have different opinions.

Crazy, I know.

That would be interesting, but sadly no. As someone who defended two and saw this exact thing happen it really doesn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Except it didn't and people praised Bloodborne? Unless you're going to pretend that doesn't count even though people treat Demon's Souls as part of the franchise too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

Sorry but Skyward sword continues to be bad (and TP continues to be mediocre)

You can have all the wrong opinions you want. But the Zelda cycle is a known phenomenon, and by know I mean Nintendo has acknowledged its a thing they are aware of. It's also general consumer trends not just your wrong opinions.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Except it didn't and people praised Bloodborne? Unless you're going to pretend that doesn't count even though people treat Demon's Souls as part of the franchise too.

Also a lot of people praise Dark souls 3 too.

It's almost like people like different things about each entry and therefore have varying opinions on which one is the best.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dork Quarrels strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just chiming in to say that the entire Souls series is perfect. Ok. Cya.