Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Furism posted:

It certainly is a good way to pick up some background knowledge about different aspect of security. Given how many domains there are in the course, you're bound to learn a lot of things. Some of it is boring and abstract (security models), some is amazing (cryptography), but overall I think it's a Good Thing to go through the book even if you don't attempt or pass the actual certification. Note that the exam, being so long (250 questions and up to 6 hours), doesn't really test your technical skill but rather your endurance and ability to regurgitate 800+ pages of content.

I think this certification will open up new job opportunities but only that; opportunities. It doesn't guarantee a job (not in any company worth working for I think).

Not sure how long ago you took it, but they gutted the crypto areas where they test you on thing like AES modes, stream ciphers, 2DES vulns, stuff like that. I took it right at the beginning of the new test and the coursework was still teaching to the old one so I got to review all that stuff anyway, but I don't think they asked anything beyond the names of the people in the RSA acronym.

I do agree that its worth doing as a first accreditation in to the field, but something of a bare minimum. The vouching process and experience requirements seems to at least done some good with keeping out the crash-course cert mill stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Not sure how long ago you took it, but they gutted the crypto areas where they test you on thing like AES modes, stream ciphers, 2DES vulns, stuff like that. I took it right at the beginning of the new test and the coursework was still teaching to the old one so I got to review all that stuff anyway, but I don't think they asked anything beyond the names of the people in the RSA acronym.

I do agree that its worth doing as a first accreditation in to the field, but something of a bare minimum. The vouching process and experience requirements seems to at least done some good with keeping out the crash-course cert mill stuff.
I took it yesterday and you're right in that there were less than 5 questions on specific characteristics of algorithms (block/key sizing), which disappointed me since I knew that stuff on lock down.

The crypto stuff I got was more in line with how digital signatures work, what type of encryption is used for what, AH/ESP, etc...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Furism posted:

It certainly is a good way to pick up some background knowledge about different aspect of security. Given how many domains there are in the course, you're bound to learn a lot of things. Some of it is boring and abstract (security models), some is amazing (cryptography), but overall I think it's a Good Thing to go through the book even if you don't attempt or pass the actual certification. Note that the exam, being so long (250 questions and up to 6 hours), doesn't really test your technical skill but rather your endurance and ability to regurgitate 800+ pages of content.

I think this certification will open up new job opportunities but only that; opportunities. It doesn't guarantee a job (not in any company worth working for I think).

Great. Thanks. I am just looking to get some more certs on my resume/CV right now. Most of the material I'm very familiar with after reviewing it and doing some practice tests, but I just didn't know if CISSP was a trap or something I should avoid.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CISSP is quickly becoming a paper tiger cert imo, the material you learn is good but the cert itself is vastly overblown. If there's any way you can afford it, or get your company to pay for it, do a SANS course/cert. They're stupid stupid expensive.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Well this will be fun: https://boingboing.net/2017/03/24/symantec-considered-harmful.html

Google: Chrome will no longer trust Symantec certificates, 30% of the web will need to switch Certificate Authorities

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

CISSP is quickly becoming a paper tiger cert imo, the material you learn is good but the cert itself is vastly overblown. If there's any way you can afford it, or get your company to pay for it, do a SANS course/cert. They're stupid stupid expensive.
It's been around forever and its usefulness hasn't really changed. Any multiple choice cert's value is always going to be with the opportunity it grants you via HR and recruiter filters, and the CISSP is one hell of an HR checkbox, especially if you work in DoD 8570 industries.

Technical chops (or managerial in the case of CISSP) should always get vetted during the actual interview process.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's been around forever and its usefulness hasn't really changed. Any multiple choice cert's value is always going to be with the opportunity it grants you via HR and recruiter filters, and the CISSP is one hell of an HR checkbox, especially if you work in DoD 8570 industries.

Technical chops (or managerial in the case of CISSP) should always get vetted during the actual interview process.

I don't know what a "DoD 8570 industry" is, when we interview we do notice if you have a CISSP but it's not a filter in any way, and all it means is that you'd better know what you're fuckin talking about when we ask you security questions.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't know what a "DoD 8570 industry" is, when we interview we do notice if you have a CISSP but it's not a filter in any way, and all it means is that you'd better know what you're fuckin talking about when we ask you security questions.
8570 is a directive that you literally cannot be allowed to work in a certain capacity within the DoD without applicable certifications. It applies to DoD contractors as well. The list itself is arbitrary and mostly worthless and you'll laugh at the groupings. The CISSP covers just about anything decent though.

http://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspx

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

8570 is a directive that you literally cannot be allowed to work in a certain capacity within the DoD without applicable certifications. It applies to DoD contractors as well. The list itself is arbitrary and mostly worthless and you'll laugh at the groupings. The CISSP covers just about anything decent though.

http://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspx

Oh wow, that's insane holy poo poo. That's completely arbitrary and worthless.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not really? It's requiring employees and contractors with access to administrative credentials to have passed a minimal level of certification. Is it perfect? No, but neither is making someone sit through a course that they can ignore.

I mean, I don't think Security+ or the CISSP are super useful, but there is something to be said for hammering basic security knowledge into the IT workforce. And one way to do that is the force people to actually prove that they've at least spent time brain dumping a proctored cert.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 29, 2017

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Mustache Ride posted:

Well this will be fun: https://boingboing.net/2017/03/24/symantec-considered-harmful.html

Google: Chrome will no longer trust Symantec certificates, 30% of the web will need to switch Certificate Authorities

Should note that the reduction of trust will be a gradual change across several Chrome releases, so that 30% of the web has some time to get their poo poo together.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're clearly not DoD material then.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

You're clearly not DoD material then.

Thank god

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the names of the people in the RSA acronym.

Wow that is a totally relevant fact that a security expert needs to know.

I mean, I expect dumb crap like that to be on there, but I still hate it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

A security researcher should.

Of course neglecting the "putting you on the spot" factor where you've even forgotten your own name.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Guy Axlerod posted:

Clearly we don't hire them if they don't know why it's RSA and not ARS :colbert:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hobbesmaster posted:

A security researcher should.

Of course neglecting the "putting you on the spot" factor where you've even forgotten your own name.

I have security researched that it stands for Rivest, Shamir, and Adleman

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

skull mask mcgee posted:

Should note that the reduction of trust will be a gradual change across several Chrome releases, so that 30% of the web has some time to get their poo poo together.

That's for the validity periods. The main sanction is refusing to accept EV certificates as EV, which takes effect "immediately" (i.e. once the proposal gets accepted, the bug report gets made, and the pull requests go through, it will show up in Beta). If you aren't buying EV certificates, you might as well be using Let's Encrypt.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I have security researched that it stands for Rivest, Shamir, and Adleman

Yeah, that was a weird statement.

As a "security researcher", I'd be more concerned with you knowing the mechanism of RSA than who loving invented it because who cares.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
attribution is hard

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flosofl posted:

Yeah, that was a weird statement.

As a "security researcher", I'd be more concerned with you knowing the mechanism of RSA than who loving invented it because who cares.

You pay zero attention to who authors the papers you read? :crossarms:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

lol if you haven't followed the updated implementation guide by Riivast, Shämor & Aedlemon in collaboration with NIIST.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Jesus Christ goons, the discussion was in the context of getting a certification.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I guess I don't see why its not unreasonable to want people to know this? In my world for example we use algorithms that we call like "GMRES" or whatever and I'm pretty sure every single person that does anything in this field could tell you that it stood for "generalized minimal residual method", and I would hope that 99% of them could tell you that it's a Krylov subspace method and explain how those methods work. I would also hope that most people could tell you it was developed by Saad and Schultz.

I dunno, I think you should know both how the mechanisms work and how/who it came from?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I can understand why someone actively developing something would like to think that everyone knows who the author of something is. You know, the innate appeal of leaving a legacy and having people know Who You Are.

To be totally honest though, beyond having a standardized name that you can say and have other people in the field know what you're talking about, no-one actually gives a poo poo. If you're looking at new work from a particular person, then yeah, you'll look at whatever old stuff they've done (it gives them credibility, and tells you where they're coming from as far as this particular paper), but knowing that, say, RC4 was developed by Ron Rivest isn't exactly relevant as far as making use of it in practice.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also getting certified doesn't mean you actually know it. Ask me in a year and I'll probably have forgotten. Because, you know, I don't use that knowledge.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is so drat cool.

quote:

A broad array of Android phones is vulnerable to attacks that use booby-trapped Wi-Fi signals to achieve full device takeover, a researcher has demonstrated.

The vulnerability resides in a widely used Wi-Fi chipset manufactured by Broadcom and used in both iOS and Android devices. Apple patched the vulnerability with Monday's release of iOS 10.3.1. "An attacker within range may be able to execute arbitrary code on the Wi-Fi chip," Apple's accompanying advisory warned. In a highly detailed blog post published Tuesday, the Google Project Zero researcher who discovered the flaw said it allowed the execution of malicious code on a fully updated 6P "by Wi-Fi proximity alone, requiring no user interaction."

Google is in the process of releasing an update in its April security bulletin. The fix is available only to a select number of device models, and even then it can take two weeks or more to be available as an over-the-air update to those who are eligible. Company representatives didn't respond to an e-mail seeking comment for this post.

The proof-of-concept exploit developed by Project Zero researcher Gal Beniamini uses Wi-Fi frames that contain irregular values. The values, in turn, cause the firmware running on Broadcom's wireless system-on-chip to overflow its stack. By using the frames to target timers responsible for carrying out regularly occurring events such as performing scans for adjacent networks, Beniamini managed to overwrite specific regions of device memory with arbitrary shellcode. Beniamini's code does nothing more than write a benign value to a specific memory address. Attackers could obviously exploit the same series of flaws to surreptitiously execute malicious code on vulnerable devices within range of a rogue access point.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/04/wide-range-of-android-phones-vulnerable-to-device-hijacks-over-wi-fi/
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1046#c1
https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.ca/2017/04/over-air-exploiting-broadcoms-wi-fi_4.html

The Project Zero blog entry is fantastic and incredibly in depth, highly recommend a read.

ps:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Project Zero is just so loving cool in general. It must be such an interesting place to work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, but if mask probing feature is turned on (and you don't use WiFi in public) you should be OK. The attack needs a valid MAC to start, and by default iOS and Android don't use actual radio MAC for probes. The only way an attacker is going to get your valid MAC is if you actually associate with a WLAN where the attacker can see it.

I'm not saying it's not a big deal, because this is huge and a cool PoC. It's just not quite as dangerous as walking down the street and *BANG* you're owned. Unless of course you habitually connect to public WiFi or other Not My House WLANs automatically.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flosofl posted:

. Unless of course you habitually connect to public WiFi or other Not My House WLANs automatically.

I think you're underestimating how many people do this. Public/free wifi is ubiquitous, and people use it as much as possible.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MAC addresses are hella leaky. AFAIK both iOS and Android do their MAC masking in the same way - if they suspect they're no where near their home they randomise (i.e. locked and not on wifi) - if they want to find their home AP they broadcast their MAC - this includes all the time you have it in your hand using it. This will mean most people can have their actual MAC pulled from the air pretty regularly.

It's a big deal.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think you're underestimating how many people do this. Public/free wifi is ubiquitous, and people use it as much as possible.

Oh, no I agree. This is bad, I was talking more for the audience in this thread.

I don't even connect to my work's corporate WLAN they have set up specifically for BYOD since I have an unlimited data plan now and things like my calendar and emails and whatnot are all available in the :yayclod:

But it's definitely going to be a target rich environment.

Khablam posted:

MAC addresses are hella leaky. AFAIK both iOS and Android do their MAC masking in the same way - if they suspect they're no where near their home they randomise (i.e. locked and not on wifi) - if they want to find their home AP they broadcast their MAC - this includes all the time you have it in your hand using it. This will mean most people can have their actual MAC pulled from the air pretty regularly.

It's a big deal.

I know it's the Reg, but it has some good info in this article.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/10/mac_address_randomization/

quote:

Apple, meanwhile, fared better in terms of effort, though not results. "Apple is the closest to being pretty good," Mayberry said, but noted that Apple devices, despite the advantage of hardware consistency, are still vulnerable to an RTS (Request to Send) attack. Sending RTS frames to an Apple phone forces the device to reveal its global unique MAC address, rather than the randomized one normally presented to the hotspot.

Welp. Apparently, it acknowledges frames sent to whatever randomized MAC it's currently using without being associated. Which is part of the spec, so...

(RTS/CTS needs to loving die. Remember broadcast storms in shared medium networks? Well, wireless networks get RTS floods, or Deauth floods, especially in environments with heavy churn like retail where everyone is juuuuust on the edge of coverage. But that would require a whole new architecture and bigger brains than mine)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 6, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh yeah for sure, I'm reasonably sure that most regulars here are at least a little careful of which wifi networks they join, but for 99% of users, welp.

That Project Zero writeup really is superb, I would kill to sit down with some of those guys and chat.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Kill all IoT, burn it the gently caress down from ground up.

http://mashable.com/2017/04/05/garadget-bad-review-bricked/

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
How much "know what you're buying and who you're buying it from" applies here? Seriously curious.

It's an Indegogo project, not a large mfg.'s product. How does the thread feel about licensee vs. operator rights/etc.?

I think I get that those lovely little projects, their existence, is growing an unregulated ecosystem of trouble.

I enjoy reading this thread but have little to contribute topically, but I'm curious about this.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I read this thread because of how little I know about infosec and try to glean what I can.

For me, IoT is like that undercoating you didn't want on your car, except that it also breaks your car's functionality, has security holes that let people roll down the windows to access its interior trouble-free or stop the engine remotely, and if it works properly at all, mostly just allows a megacorporation to vacuum your supposedly anonymized driving metadata into its gigantic profile crunching interior, which will eventually be stolen by Russian hackers and then stolen back by the NSA or something, which eventually links you to a terrorist group.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
There are good IoT devices. We mostly hear about the bad ones - and there are many of them. Problem is you don't always know beforehand. Until companies who come up with devices with poor/no security get away with it this will continue. There should be sanctions for not providing due care or failing to follow best security practices. This should be legally similar to handling PII.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I totally agree. IoT is not inherently bad, it's just really easy to get wrong. Unfortunately it's also cheaper to get wrong in a lot of ways and consumers generally have no easy way to tell the good ones apart when they're looking to buy, so until getting it wrong starts costing the vendors money in the long term there'll be a constant stream of bad devices.

If this bricker worm hits enough devices that are under some kind of warranty coverage it might actually help the situation by costing the vendors a lot there, but I suspect it'll take actual legal liability to really have an impact and I doubt that's going to happen any time soon (at least in the US).

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 7, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think the biggest problem with IoT is the mentality of "always connected, all the time" with no backup plan for what happens if that connection goes down (as it always has and always will). We've seen loss of connection lead to flooded houses, starving pets, unopenable doors, and useless light fixtures/appliances. Anything connected to the IoT should also work if it's disconnected from the IoT, even if it's less convenient or has more limited options.

For instance, for the pet feeder, there's really no excuse for not storing those settings locally so the device continues to function when it loses connection. It shouldn't have to pull them from the network all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a lot of IoT that is just some dumb board being told what to do by AWS Lambda functions, which are great for learning but yes, the product needs to have some logic in there as well. If you have a thermostat that you can control via your phone then when you're at home the control path for that device shouldn't be to use the app to change something on a web service and then wait for the thermostat to retrieve it.