Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

That sale has a Resident Evil Super Bundle that has RE Zero, ReMake, re4, 5, 6, and Re Revelations 2. If you don't own any of those games, it's a great deal for $51.99 (saves $10 versus buying things individually). This sale came at the perfect time. I'm playing through the series and am in the middle of 4 at the moment. I couldn't decide if I wanted to replay re5 on the ps3 or to shell out for the ps4 remaster. For $10 off, remaster it is!

Advice for RE1: When you use the shotgun on regular zombies, aim up and wait for them to be right in front of you before shooting. You'll blow their head off and they'll not bother you anymore. If you can kill a few zombies on top of one another, you can light more than one on fire with a single oil use. Zogrim's advice is spot on. There will be times where it feels like you've lost a half hour of progress, but when you know where you're going and what is waiting for you along the way, it often only takes 5-10 minutes to redo and you'll likely take less damage along the way.

Any link to a good Let's Play showcasing RE Outbreak 1 & 2? My PS2 has been broken for years and it doesn't look like there's a good way to play the game currently without jumping through hoops to get an emulated version working.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
RE4 remains a goddamned masterpiece. It's hard to stress just how perfect that game is, even if the HD effect isn't kind on its graphics.

RE6 is super loving fun.

RE5 sucks.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
I think the batshit crazy RE4 texture rework project has been linked a few times.

I'll likely do my next run at the game when that finishes.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

RE4 remains a goddamned masterpiece. It's hard to stress just how perfect that game is, even if the HD effect isn't kind on its graphics.

RE6 is super loving fun.

RE5 sucks.

I'm of slightly mixed opinions on RE4. It did a lot of terrible stuff, like mountains of instant-death quicktime events, button mashing sequences, dynamic difficulty that coddled you rather than presenting a decent challenge, and did I mention endless loving instant-death quicktime events. At the time, we all just kinda forgave it for that stuff though since it did so much stuff amazingly right, it made up for its own mistakes. By the time RE5 rolled around and they were still making the exact same mistakes, but had added nothing particularly new or clever to make up for it, it became a lot less okay.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they did eventually learn their lesson though, what with the qte skip option that was patched into 6.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I bought the PS4 REmaster 0/1 compilation for $16 on Amazon, so even if 0 is really bad I feel like I got a good deal.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jolo posted:

Advice for RE1: When you use the shotgun on regular zombies, aim up and wait for them to be right in front of you before shooting. You'll blow their head off and they'll not bother you anymore.
This is a bit finicky in REmake/RE0; if you wait long enough so that the zombie is practically leaning on the barrel, you'll more often than not just send him flying onto his back in a shower of blood but without taking his head off. It's tricky but after a bit of practice you get used to it (and best of all it doesn't gently caress with any old habits in the classic games, since headshot range there is ludicrously generous).

Backhand posted:

I'm of slightly mixed opinions on RE4. It did a lot of terrible stuff, like mountains of instant-death quicktime events, button mashing sequences, dynamic difficulty that coddled you rather than presenting a decent challenge, and did I mention endless loving instant-death quicktime events. At the time, we all just kinda forgave it for that stuff though since it did so much stuff amazingly right, it made up for its own mistakes.
And this is precisely why I don't consider RE4 as a game which has aged particularly well. I still like it (a lot), but going back to it after such a long time makes you realise just how jarring the crappier elements of the game are. And gently caress those incessant QTE's.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

does RE4 remaster still have the weirdly low res sound files for the merchant and some other stuff?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

And this is precisely why I don't consider RE4 as a game which has aged particularly well. I still like it (a lot), but going back to it after such a long time makes you realise just how jarring the crappier elements of the game are. And gently caress those incessant QTE's.

I'll counterpoint that there aren't nearly as many of them as people like to remember, and most of them are packed in either at the start (boulder chase), in a chunk at the middle (the sequences leading up to the Right Hand) and towards the end (Krauser) and in the HD remixes at least these events are even easier than they were before, and compared to a lot of later imitators these QTEs are still way more forgiving than not. I also give it a pass because RE4 utilizes these mechanics pretty well: the button inputs are consistent, either shoulders or face buttons, you'll almost always mash either X or Square, and the only times it is REALLY hard is in a sequence intended to be a challenge.

I dunno, they're so well implemented into the game, which features a lot of context-sensitive actions and events anyway, that I don't think I'd even consider them a flaw. The only one I really don't like is the QTE to take down Gigantes, because it feels unresponsive and it's hard to tell how much damage it's overall doing. Also sometimes enemies seem to randomly get double health if you have an excess of ammunition, to purposefully charge you a toll should you be doing *too* well.

EDIT: It also helped them avoid implementing a dodge button, which sounds like a bad thing but the game is so tightly designed around its core mechanics that adding something so game-changing as a dedicated dodge move would have forced them to redo all of the design. Instead, as a result, the game knows exactly what your limitations are and focuses its challenges accordingly.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 29, 2017

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
Too Shy Guy must be working for a Make-A-Wish Foundation because he just made mine come true :D
https://twitter.com/KonradKiec/status/847159744771096576

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The main thing I find myself really wanting in re4 is a quick weapon swap to skip menu screens in the middle of combat off and on. In the part where you're defending Ashley while she turns the cranks in the castle lobby, it's a lot of swapping between the rifle to help her and the pistol or shotgun to defend yourself. Also, that whole sequence in the lobby is so so good. Every time I play through it I notice how the balance feels like it's just a few enemies away from being too much to handle, while a few less would make the whole sequence too easy.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Captain Swing posted:

Too Shy Guy must be working for a Make-A-Wish Foundation because he just made mine come true :D
https://twitter.com/KonradKiec/status/847159744771096576

D.C. is a super nice guy.

As for zombie killin' chat, Chris can occasionally get head shots on zombies in ReMake using a handgun. I don't know if Jill can, but Chris has a fairly high chance of it happening.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Jill can, its rare for any of them to get one really... hell even with the shotgun aimed up only a few times did it pop the head. It's getting to the point that except for bosses and certain hallways it's more productive to bait and dodge zombies. Just not worth carrying the ammo and extra weaponry

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jolo posted:

The main thing I find myself really wanting in re4 is a quick weapon swap to skip menu screens in the middle of combat off and on. In the part where you're defending Ashley while she turns the cranks in the castle lobby, it's a lot of swapping between the rifle to help her and the pistol or shotgun to defend yourself. Also, that whole sequence in the lobby is so so good. Every time I play through it I notice how the balance feels like it's just a few enemies away from being too much to handle, while a few less would make the whole sequence too easy.
That whole bit is brilliant, every time I've played, whatever difficulty, I go in 100% prepared and still come out the other side with three pistol bullets and a flash grenade. RE4's dynamic difficulty is unmatched

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does the PS4 version of RE4 have Professional unlocked from the beginning?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RE4 really does have good designated en-masse-inventory-clearing rooms. On my first playthrough ever which is archived here I notice several times that recent encounters have completely drained me of ammo and then the game slowly built my stock back up for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raxivace posted:

Does the PS4 version of RE4 have Professional unlocked from the beginning?

Nope.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really need to mix things up next time I go through 4. I always get the red-9 with the stock and it feels like I'm cheesing the game a bit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe you could be like the third person in history to buy the mine thrower

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fully upgraded mine thrower is the most op weapon in the game.

Well apart from rocket launchers obviously.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

I really need to mix things up next time I go through 4. I always get the red-9 with the stock and it feels like I'm cheesing the game a bit.
I got so bored of the Red 9's cheese factor that I can't even look at the bastard thing anymore. Blacktail, Shotgun, Killer 7, Mine Thrower. These are my new* weapons of choice!

*By which I mean I've been using them for loving ages now. I'm probably due a weaponset mix-up myself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Go through the game with nothing but the starting weapons and the TMP. Not even the free Punisher.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

TMP and Riot Gun for life :colbert:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Someone once convinced me the TMP was a complete waste of money since it was a not-free crowd control weapon in a game where you had nigh immediate access to a powerful shotgun.

He was -mostly- right, the TMP sucks for crowd control and the shotgun is much better. But considering the TMP's rate of fire and range longer than a wet fart, it was by far and away the best boss-killer until you got the magnum. Mendez is quite a pain in the rear end with only pistols and shotguns.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Backhand posted:

Mendez is quite a pain in the rear end with only pistols and shotguns.

That's what flame grenades are for.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The Repo Man posted:

D.C. is a super nice guy.

As for zombie killin' chat, Chris can occasionally get head shots on zombies in ReMake using a handgun. I don't know if Jill can, but Chris has a fairly high chance of it happening.

Chris's grenade defense weapon is an auto head-pop, and if you blow off a zombie's leg they won't come back. That's not too common though, I think I only got it once or twice on a staircase.

Also, the letter opener self defense weapon can be recovered in the event that you stab a zombie then score a head pop.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
My last run was my first Red 9 run. Was pretty fun, but I'm a weird guy and prefer the Blacktail.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Only use knife.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Only use knife.

You gotta shoot Salazar eventually and thus must pick a gun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Backhand posted:

Someone once convinced me the TMP was a complete waste of money since it was a not-free crowd control weapon in a game where you had nigh immediate access to a powerful shotgun.

He was -mostly- right, the TMP sucks for crowd control and the shotgun is much better. But considering the TMP's rate of fire and range longer than a wet fart, it was by far and away the best boss-killer until you got the magnum. Mendez is quite a pain in the rear end with only pistols and shotguns.

The TMP is actually great for crowd control of basic enemies if your goal is to conserve ammo. You just fire a bunch of bullets at knee height and then run up and kick one of the stunned ones. It's also the one of best weapon against wolves if they're in your face because a single bullet from the TMP triggers their stun animation and you fire faster than they recover from it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ImpAtom posted:

You gotta shoot Salazar eventually and thus must pick a gun.

The fact that a knife only run is impossible is proof that RE4 is actually the worst RE game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The fact that a knife only run is impossible is proof that RE4 is actually the worst RE game.
I think it's slightly more impossible in RE7.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Clearly Resident Evil CODE: Veronica's super overpowered knife makes it the best RE game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHQuMqoM0o

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I think it's slightly more impossible in RE7.

It's completely possible in RE7 outside of the final bit of the final encounter (which is basically a QTE so who cares) and bits prior to actually acquiring the knife (but then you have an axe, so same thing)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I saw a guy do a Madhouse Knife run that said it was impossible to clear the part where Marguerite kicks you into a hole without a gun.

He could be wrong I guess, or it might be only doable on lower difficulties.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I saw a guy do a Madhouse Knife run that said it was impossible to clear the part where Marguerite kicks you into a hole without a gun.

He could be wrong I guess, or it might be only doable on lower difficulties.

He was wrong. Understandably wrong because that section is brick loving hard, but I remember the kerfuffle over that getting a reject from the speedrun leaderboards for the game because someone had proved it could be done.

a true knife-only has been completed on Madhouse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjz9kt1OQt4

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

fit em all up in there posted:

Any tips for a first run though of RE 1 remaster ? I just started as Jill, and made it to the shotgun room.

What difficulty are you playing on?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Mr President posted:

What difficulty are you playing on?
I'm on normal mode

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You know, Jack's 55th Birthday would be a much better mode if you could just save a loadout to start each round with, like with Skills in RE6 Mercs. It's pretty annoying to have to spend the extra bit of time having to repick the guns and Time Bonuses or whatever when I'm going for an S Rank and have to restart because I miss some important headshots in Testing Area 2.

He was wrong. Understandably wrong because that section is brick loving hard, but I remember the kerfuffle over that getting a reject from the speedrun leaderboards for the game because someone had proved it could be done.
Huh, I guess I'm more behind than I thought. I completely missed all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raxivace posted:

You know, Jack's 55th Birthday would be a much better mode if you could just save a loadout to start each round with, like with Skills in RE6 Mercs. It's pretty annoying to have to spend the extra bit of time having to repick the guns and Time Bonuses or whatever when I'm going for an S Rank and have to restart because I miss some important headshots in Testing Area 2.

You can, can't you? Check the second menu of the storage box.

edit: Yeah, bottom of the box list. Hit T on PC to bring up item sets.