Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It appears that my landlords are throwing out their microwave. Should I grab it and try to make an EM cannon Y/N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

y

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

browsing yos pos and listening to .mods on my pentium 3 dual core machien

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

lol that screenshot is garbage. I couldn't upload to imgur w/ firefox 2

newer versions of firefox tend to make win2k bluescreen

this machine is very noticeably more responsive with dual cpus, even on win2k

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Silver Alicorn posted:

browsing yos pos and listening to .mods on my pentium 3 dual core machien

pentium 3? i can do that on my 68030 :colbert:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was going to get it last night but it disappeared. i guess the landlord threw it away somewhere else :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

It appears that my landlords are throwing out their microwave. Should I grab it and try to make an EM cannon Y/N

do the needful, or some other goony saying

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

pentium 3? i can do that on my 68030 :colbert:

but can you frag in unreal tournament

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
rough sketch of part of chapter four maybe

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/sketch-executive-orders-and-congressional-blood-orgy/s-XNGPT

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
anyone know where I can find a cheaper version / clone of this guy https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13740

couldnt find on aliexpress

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

A Yolo Wizard posted:

anyone know where I can find a cheaper version / clone of this guy https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13740

couldnt find on aliexpress

it looks like all the cheap ones use a 4 pin connector? i don't know anything about gps. also that one has a 4th pad that's not hooked up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Generally small GPS units like that use UART, so they probably just left the Rx pin disconnected because you don't really need to send data to the module

Anyway I don't know about that specific model, but if you search for Neo-6M on AliExpress you'll get a pile of results for similar devices for about eight bucks.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
yeah I dont think protocol super matters much, this is just for a diy data logger my colleague was interested in making more of. Size and power consumption are the main focus (that one is tiny af). Its getting strapped on the back of a turtle, or similar, if that gives you more context.

I've also just sent an inquiry to buy it direct from the company.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 24, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale-Ublox-GY-NEO6MV2-GPS-Module-Aircraft-Flight-Controller-For-Arduino-APM-2-5-Module/32611247335.html this looks like a clone but with holes for mounting

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Size and power consumption are the main focus (that one is tiny af).

how about this

http://www.banggood.com/7M8M-Ublox-M8N-GPS-Module-for-APM-Pixhawk-CC3D-Naze32-F3-Flight-Control-p-1078657.html?rmmds=search

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

LOL that site is blocked by my ad blocker

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you got your lists hosed up because banggood ain't any worse than aliexpress or gearbest

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Sagebrush posted:

Generally small GPS units like that use UART, so they probably just left the Rx pin disconnected because you don't really need to send data to the module

i assume that it likely speaks nmea 0138 or something similar so more or less baud and datagrams are standardized? i bet you could change what and how fast it talks with the rx pin if you need to force checksum or something

im building some peer to peer uhf radio based location trackers and am probably using rpi because of the display capabilites so this might be a good way to get gps

now i just need a hardware tnc

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 25, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yea, all the little standalone GPS modules i'm aware of transmit standard NMEA messages, and yes, you can change the data rate by sending it some commands. haven't really looked into it much cause many of the things only update position at 1-5hz so the default (usually 9600bps) is plenty fast.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i think my schematic is complete and i've got a preliminary layout routed and im probably not building this board because it's 4 layers and ~36 square inches which is gonna be ludicrously expensive anywhere (eg oshpark would be 360 dollars for 3) plus a ~$100/board bom plus chassis power supply lmao

i did make a sweet timelapse of the process tho and i only forgot to record a few bits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tsnFSZMZUY

without the top ground plane poured it looks like:

(this is not what i would call a final layout but its most of the way there)

Bloody fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 25, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

woowee lookit the size of those traces.

also, i'm the yospos tab in your browser

indeed, we are all the yospos tab

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that time lapse is really cool. also inception @ 1:25 where you post in this very thread

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i got my solution size down to 114x81mm on 4 layers by putting two of the inductors on the bottom layer.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got trespasser running on my pentium III pc. it's playable. I hosed something up and windows update won't work tho, will probably have to reinstall

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

I got trespasser running on my pentium III pc. it's playable. I hosed something up and windows update won't work tho, will probably have to reinstall

WSUS might support win2000?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you have to run certain updates in the right order for certificates to work out correctly or some poo poo. the guide I was going by said I would have to reinstall

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

ah, trespasser. the game where you can tell your character's health by looking down at her boobs.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's a really weird game. they were talking about it a bunch on idle thumbs though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ah, certificates. I am currently installing those on my Amiga to enable TLS along with a 4MB copy of OPENSSL.LIBRARY

unfortunately the forums contain too much JavaScript for IBrowse's liking

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it looks like if i bit the bullet and went to a two sided design i could probably cram this in 12 square inches which is a more tolerable price point hmm

it'd be a pain in the rear end to assemble

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
i accidentally did something dumb with my nier:automata saves and needed to start over from scratch, but the cool combat skills are gated behind upgrade chips you don't get until later in the game. spent a few hours pissing around with the saves and a hex editor, documented the savegame structures, and made a simple editor in javascript

as much as i love to poo poo on javascript, inside a modern browser with file + binary blob apis, it's quite powerful and fast to prototype with. i knew nothing of the apis and still got this running in about 90 minutes

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo yeah my current idiot project is like 40% completed. This is a wired car stereo remote I'm trying to turn into an IR one that can talk to my new system

thanks to longviews advice I managed to have most of the switches working but i've been stuck for days trying to track the 3 way switch wheel movement but couldn't tell why one of the transitions would always gently caress up. eventually found out i had spurious intermediate states that would mess up my logic

the circuit is pretty simplle

now it's all hooked to a cool attiny. i've had people yell at me on forums that "u dont have enough pins, you idiot!::"

i still need to get the signals off the knockoff aliexpress remote i have on the way, get my circuit to flash them correctly, filter and power from 12V etc etc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm shocked that the response to you using a microcontroller was "you need a bigger one with more pins" and not "lol you stupid baby I could do that with two resistors and a cat-whisker diode"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

I'm shocked that the response to you using a microcontroller was "you need a bigger one with more pins" and not "lol you stupid baby I could do that with two resistors and a cat-whisker diode"

tbh it was on a microcontroller forum and it was kinda my fault

i was out of pins to have the SV position hooked to the mcu so I went "well if it's not SB and SJ I'll just assume it's SV :downs:"
which is pretty good on paper until the logic crashes went it was fed a short SV when switching between the two other positions.
now i have an idiot method to decide if a position is "for real" (compare the code for the current position with the previous one a bunch of times)

it works fine now and I'm only using a small cool rear end attiny

e: also looking for advice to run 5v logic from a car. a 7805 with a diode somewhere and caps on the side ? isn't it going to heat a lot ? (expectation: the car should not catch fire)

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 30, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

microcontrollers are cool and good and cheap and easy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

tbh it was on a microcontroller forum and it was kinda my fault

i was out of pins to have the SV position hooked to the mcu so I went "well if it's not SB and SJ I'll just assume it's SV :downs:"
which is pretty good on paper until the logic crashes went it was fed a short SV when switching between the two other positions.
now i have an idiot method to decide if a position is "for real" (compare the code for the current position with the previous one a bunch of times)

it works fine now and I'm only using a small cool rear end attiny

e: also looking for advice to run 5v logic from a car. a 7805 with a diode somewhere and caps on the side ? isn't it going to heat a lot ? (expectation: the car should not catch fire)

whats the power draw of your circuit (ballpark)? if its mostly just the microcontroller, then its probably like a few milliwatts (milliamps). then the efficiency penalty of your linear regulator is basically just (output voltage)/(input voltage) and then well if your load is a few milliwatts you're probably just fine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Microcontrollers are fantastic. Every time there's a moderately simple mcu project on Hackaday the comments just fill up with thousands of obnoxious grognards moaning about how "shoulda used a 555!! overkill!! Arduino more like stupidino!!" and I loving hate it

an Attiny85 costs roughly the same as a 555 in a dip package, requires zero external passives to emulate a 555, and can do a thousand times more stuff on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

whats the power draw of your circuit (ballpark)? if its mostly just the microcontroller, then its probably like a few milliwatts (milliamps). then the efficiency penalty of your linear regulator is basically just (output voltage)/(input voltage) and then well if your load is a few milliwatts you're probably just fine

on standby it's 1.10mA, it's going to jump to maybe 20 when flashing a code i guess