Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

GargleBlaster posted:

My Android phone shat itself today and needed a factory reset, in a grim reminder of why people pay more for iPhones. I still don't really want to spend twice as much for a device that dictates what I can and cannot do with it though.

It took me 10 seconds to google how to get the old Solitaire back: https://windows.gadgethacks.com/how-to/bring-back-microsofts-classic-no-bloat-games-windows-for-free-0166605/

I'm sorry, but if that's too hard for someone who posts on SH/SC, they deserve to be paying the monthly fee. Or if you feel it justifies installing a server OS on your desktop or spending 4x as much for Apple gear then... have fun I guess?

I'm not defending them as such, but people really make such a fuss over things they can easily change, and if they put 1/100th of the time they spend complaining on an internet message board about the defaults, into flicking a few switches to "off" and running a couple of tools, I just think they'd have a much better, more constructive time of it.

the point is that you shouldn't have to, dude.

Part of what I do on the daily is build imaging solutions using Windows platforms and the kind of stuff I have to ripout or undo is pretty mindboggling.

it's a reasonable complaint to have when one of my users sends me an e-mail asking why there's an ad in the middle of loving Windows Explorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
^ I do think it's a reasonable complaint, I just think it's blown out of all proportion. It's "this thing does something I don't like that I can turn off" brought to the levels of "this thing is literally raping me and we must boycott it and set their HQ on fire"

revmoo posted:

Or.... just use an OS that doesnt have those switches that need to be flipped to begin with. Your OS is a piece of poo poo.

I'm not switching back to a half-abandoned OS for underpowered and overpriced "gotta be thin at all costs" pieces of poo poo that their creators are literally dying to phase out in favour of tablets. Been there done that.

Nor am I making "this sacrifice" and "that sacrifice" and conceding to "well the scaling on high DPI is even worse, and touch is almost nonexistent" and "yeah we know the file picker still won't show a thumbnail view after about a 13 year old bug report, we don't know how to do it" that comes from running your favourite colour of server OS as some form of communist desktop. Been there done that too, it's a ballache, and FOSS devs are lazy as gently caress (because they're mostly unpaid)

Flipping a few switches is much quicker and easier than either a) spending the time necessary to earn an extra £1500 or so for something that is likely to be discontinued in 5-10 years, or b) spending hours configuring synclient so your trackpad resembles something almost-usable, dual booting for 80% of your games, pestering the devs for $raw_processing_suite in a 5 year old bug report complaining about how often it bombs out with a segfault in the middle of tweaking a photo, etc etc.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 30, 2017

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What the gently caress are you even talking about

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

revmoo posted:

The entire Apple computer ecosystem.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

revmoo posted:

My response to basically this entire thread at this point

Deep breaths y'all

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

GargleBlaster posted:

^ I do think it's a reasonable complaint, I just think it's blown out of all proportion. It's "this thing does something I don't like that I can turn off" brought to the levels of "this thing is literally raping me and we must boycott it and set their HQ on fire"

nobody said this, you're projecting something onto the thread.

remember: giant monolithic corporations don't have feelings.

also, candy crush coming back after build upgrades. lol. i suppose I could just script it's removal again, but I'm ~lazy~

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Please move this thread to YOSPOS. Thanks.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

revmoo posted:

Mac OS and Linux and why he prefers Windows over both of them.

Seemed clear to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love my iMac and my Nexus phone.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
All the extra cruft, is extra code. Code that needs to be tested, code that needs to be maintained and it is code which does not need to be there in the first place. Programming is hard, programming the worlds most used OS is even harder. Why make it even worse by having all this extra stuff in it. That is what pissing me off about Windows 10.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I use a local account on my windows 10 box and I don't get any of that advertising crap, nor do lovely mobile games keep installing themselves. In fact the windows store seems completely inactive, which is how I like it. The only thing I did do was uninstall onedrive. It hasn't come back.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Microsoft releases an operating system that:

- Fails to unify UX, adding yet another layer onto the several layers of system configuration cruft that has accumulated over the last two decades or so
- Forces itself onto user's computers without permission and uses misleading dialog boxes to prevent people from opting-out. This breaks numerous systems due to poorly-thought-out scenarios on Microsofts end, and cause untold millions (possibly billions) of dollars in lost productivity due to factory and lab shutdowns, among other things where Windows 10 drivers simply were not available.
- Puts advertising in the start menu, the file manager, and several apps
- Puts Facebook games in its flagship enterprise product
- Tracks users through numerous means, surreptitiously evades prevention by overriding hosts file entries
- Forces updates on users in the name of security, but simultaneously removes patch notes from updates and combines "feature" and security updates
- Misses a "patch tuesday", enabling zero days to stay in the wild at least a month longer than necessary
- Ignores security flaw reports going back to 2016 forcing Google to release them under it's "Project Zero" policies. Microsoft chooses not take take advantage of the grace period offered
- Implements a system that dovetails with United States National Security Letters, allowing the US government control and targeting of every Windows 10 PC on the planet

And goons post fervently in defense of their company.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm Just So Mad About Operating Systems!!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

apple's not perfect but microsoft is a joke

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm the two different settings menu for the same thing.

Or the disk management tool that can't be found with the search term disk management.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

revmoo posted:

- Fails to unify UX, adding yet another layer onto the several layers of system configuration cruft that has accumulated over the last two decades or so
- Forces itself onto user's computers without permission and uses misleading dialog boxes to prevent people from opting-out. This breaks numerous systems due to poorly-thought-out scenarios on Microsofts end, and cause untold millions (possibly billions) of dollars in lost productivity due to factory and lab shutdowns, among other things where Windows 10 drivers simply were not available.
- Tracks users through numerous means, surreptitiously evades prevention by overriding hosts file entries
- Forces updates on users in the name of security, but simultaneously removes patch notes from updates and combines "feature" and security updates
- Misses a "patch tuesday", enabling zero days to stay in the wild at least a month longer than necessary
- Ignores security flaw reports going back to 2016 forcing Google to release them under it's "Project Zero" policies. Microsoft chooses not take take advantage of the grace period offered
- Implements a system that dovetails with United States National Security Letters, allowing the US government control and targeting of every Windows 10 PC on the planet

Half of these just sound like conspiracy theories.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

shovelbum posted:

Like solitaire is basically the equivalent of the running error screen T-Rex from chrome, imagine if he tried to sell me Doritos

Well google home was trying to sell everyone on beauty and the beast about 2 weeks ago so

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that post lists a dozen reasons MS is a joke but the only one I really care about is how ugly Windows 10 is compared to MacOS.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

revmoo posted:

i thought after 2010 or so you people got laid and moved on jesus christ

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

well why not posted:

that post lists a dozen reasons MS is a joke but the only one I really care about is how ugly Windows 10 is compared to MacOS.

I personally think MacOS is pretty ugly. Win10 at least is minimal and familiar when you take 20 seconds to get rid of the random ads and poo poo.

If you take 20 minutes when you get a new computer you can get it to run very smooth, quick, lean, and private-- especially if you use utilities like OOSU10. I don't know what it's like for IT people in enterprise-level poo poo, but as a relatively savvy consumer (on a low level) I'm a happier user of Win10 than I was with MacOS/ChromeOS/Linux.

My girlfriend is a dumbass about computers and she has no problems with Win10 (though she also don't give a poo poo about privacy like me). She thinks macOS is "just better" but I'm 80% sure that's marketing since she regularly has to use my PC to do poo poo she can't on her mac, and has had to get her MacBook repaired about.. 3 times YTD.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

windows is not minimal in the slightest. it has so many little fiddly buttons and menus it's ridiculous.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Apple: "W-wait! I'm sorry! I... I can change, I'll even be a little transparent about future products!"

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/04/apple-pushes-the-reset-button-on-the-mac-pro/

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

GargleBlaster posted:

Apple: "W-wait! I'm sorry! I... I can change, I'll even be a little transparent about future products!"

"Can't innovate? my rear end" Phil Schiller as he unveiled the dumbest Mac Pro ever.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

rsjr posted:

i thought after 2010 or so you people got laid and moved on jesus christ

Lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GargleBlaster posted:

I don't get this kind of attitude. They basically admit they've hosed up and want to do better? But you characterize it like a sputtering child. Is there no room for redemption in your kingdom, sire?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
No no, it's lovely to see them change after all these years as people finally stopped making excuses for them and walked away. I'm sure they won't revert to how they were before when enough people take the bait or anything :)

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

jokes posted:

MacBook repaired about.. 3 times YTD.

I am an OSX user and a PC user. Gaming PC with a 2012 Retina 15 inch. Not one repair in its life, going as strong as the day I got it. Is it because Apple is special? No its because largely its luck of the draw with every product line from every company and this case it sounds like your GF got unlucky.

To the thread at hand I am considering "divorcing" Apple but its not a huge issue for me as I am not really tied to their services. I always just preferred OSX as my day job is working with Linux and I can not stand looking at it when I come home but wanted to stay in a "familiar" ecosystem. However with the launch of the new and honestly mediocre MBP's plus their price hike in Australia I can just not see myself purchasing another one as I consider replacing my 2012.

I am tempted to honestly just revert away from having a laptop at all and having my Windows 10 desktop become my primary machine along with some dev systems hanging around.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Phoenixan posted:

Please move this thread to YOSPOS. Thanks.
I'm not empty quoting this, because I'd never do that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

GargleBlaster posted:

My Android phone shat itself today and needed a factory reset, in a grim reminder of why people pay more for iPhones.

Huge, huge lols if you think iPhones never poo poo themselves.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Four years of iOS usage and I've yet to gently caress it up enough to warrant factory resetting. What would cause such a thing?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Didn't say "never" as that would be bonkers. There's always an exception somewhere. But I've had an original, a 3GS, a 4, a 6 and a 5S (secondary) and despite all of Apple's faults (including antenna shenanigans on the 4), my experience matched the common claim of them "Just Working". And despite all the great things about Android, I've had more bugs and random glitches and reasons to Factory Reset Yet Again then I can count.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

GargleBlaster posted:

Didn't say "never" as that would be bonkers. There's always an exception somewhere. But I've had an original, a 3GS, a 4, a 6 and a 5S (secondary) and despite all of Apple's faults (including antenna shenanigans on the 4), my experience matched the common claim of them "Just Working". And despite all the great things about Android, I've had more bugs and random glitches and reasons to Factory Reset Yet Again then I can count.

Android since Galaxy S2. Aside from when I've side-loaded sketchy poo poo, I've needed to factory reset a phone all of once. My work iPhone 5 that I've had for a year has needed 3 because its a flaming piece of poo poo.

Oh, wait, something about anecdotes and all that. But, yeah, they both loving suck, except when they don't.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maybe poo poo happens to people who root or jailbreak their phones.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I do neither FYI.

Got to love the biases people have - the one they personally use is always 100% perfect and one should never say a bad word about them or acknowledge that one tends to be better at one thing and the other tends to be better at something else.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the important thing to keep in mind is to lol at windows phone

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

the important thing to keep in mind is to lol at windows phone

It be hilarious if MS didn't build windows around that stupid loving phone.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yep, windows is dripping with compromises made to build up the phone platform they promptly killed. it's embarrassing to watch.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was dragged into a den to see Doom.

Apple BBSs were people just being cool.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My Windows phone was great and mine worked better (at 5 years old) than my new iphone does.

Would probably still be using it if it didn't completely poo poo itself out of the blue, and they didn't have any good winphones available when I went to get a replacement. Although actually having an app selection available to me has become a huge plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

We switched from 180 android phones to 180 iphones and they poo poo the bed at about the same speed.

• Locked thread