Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
It's a fine amp but likely overkill for your needs. You're paying a premium for looks and inputs you'll probably never use but it'll certainly do the job you want it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

grack posted:

It's a fine amp but likely overkill for your needs. You're paying a premium for looks and inputs you'll probably never use but it'll certainly do the job you want it to.

That's pretty much my take. However, I'm still swinging toward the "this and a pair of ls-50's is exactly what you need" side of things over the "you already have the means to accomplish your goals it just won't look pretty"
I'm hoping to land somewhere in between. If that means D.I.Y. bookshelf speakers than so be it.
Besides, I think it's cool that I could use the balanced outputs on the UD-501 to feed the AX-50. Not advantageous, but cool.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure if I would describe that TEAC as aesthetically pleasing but each to their own

Id look for an arcam solo mini

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 7, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JFairfax posted:

Not sure if I would describe that TEAC as aesthetically pleasing but each to their own

Id look for an arcam solo mini

It's got a blue LED.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
is that a problem?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Actually you should get a Pioneer XC L7

best mini system EVER!!!

loving gorgeous and has a lovely sub as well

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
You need all the colours

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JFairfax posted:

is that a problem?

Aesthetically, yes.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
All LED indicator lights should be replaced with VU meter style needles with tasteful warm white back lighting. Even the ones that just let you know it's on. With a tasteful little startup dance too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TomR posted:

All LED indicator lights should be replaced with VU meter style needles with tasteful warm white back lighting. Even the ones that just let you know it's on. With a tasteful little startup dance too.

I would be totally okay with this.

Edit:

I also think the Naim NAP 100 and DAC v1 are quite pretty.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 7, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Aesthetically, yes.

what are the acceptable LED colors ?

I thought the old Marantz stuff is pretty sweet:

oh noes!!!! they're bluuueeeeeeeeee

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JFairfax posted:

I thought the old Marantz stuff is pretty sweet:

oh noes!!!! they're bluuueeeeeeeeee

A backlight shining through a blue gel is far different than the blue LEDs every electronic device ships with these days that BURNS A HOLE IN YOUR SOUL.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Revox has some good looking stuff right now.
Their M100 system looks sleek and well designed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqzTzwpmTg0
But good luck even finding one.

Bel Canto has a beautiful lineup with their e.One series.

But they're super expensive and difficult to obtain as well.

Heed audio has a plethora of gorgeous offerings across all their lines:

Their Modular line

The all-in-one Elixir integrated amp

The Obelisk line

And my favorite, the Theis Line

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Pretty sure this thread has now come full circle

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

metallicaeg posted:

Anytime you involve audiophiles, the conversation eventually wraps right back around to DACs.

I just found out about the Elac Element.

It doesn't look to perform up to the standards of any of the things I've previously mentioned, and it doesn't look nearly as nice.
But it is available on amazon and is actually obtainable outside of learning another language, flying to Europe, and trying to find a brick-and-mortar store affiliated with any aforementioned product.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JFairfax posted:

Red.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

JFairfax posted:

Vacuum tubes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

http://schiit.com/news/news/schiit-previews-2-channel-line-at-rmaf

This looks really promising.
I'm particularly interested in that Vidar

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 7, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Green.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
That Vidar's specs are very similar to the Behringer A500, a $200 amp.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

UV

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
White.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

TomR posted:

Techmoan guy is that you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkCIdufSGS8

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing as real product discussion apparently happens in this thread I thought I'd ask here. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good desktop subwoofer? To be connected to a pair of Simple Audio Listens (not the best or most audiophile speakers but nice) and used with primarily music but also gaming (Skyrim et al.). Loud is good but nothing silly, I share my walls. Something I could pick up locally (Sydney) would be sweet too. Could go up to $500 but I'd love to keep it lower. A E S T H E T I C if possible

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Get the Chuck Tingle special

https://www.parts-express.com/aurasound-ast-2b-4-pro-bass-shaker-tactile-transducer--299-028

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BurritoJustice posted:

Seeing as real product discussion apparently happens in this thread I thought I'd ask here. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good desktop subwoofer? To be connected to a pair of Simple Audio Listens (not the best or most audiophile speakers but nice) and used with primarily music but also gaming (Skyrim et al.). Loud is good but nothing silly, I share my walls. Something I could pick up locally (Sydney) would be sweet too. Could go up to $500 but I'd love to keep it lower. A E S T H E T I C if possible

I was gonna recommend the subwoofer that I have, the Energy ESW-M6, but apparently It has worse reviews than I thought. Strange; mine has been working well for years -- sounds great, tight and more musical than powerful, gets up high to meet the bottom end of your speakers, and it's got a beautiful piano black finish.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Turquoise

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I bit the bullet and bought into the Teac UD-501 on Massdrop.
I also snagged an Amazon warehouse deal on an AX-501 so it looks like I'm all set for now.
I managed to get both altogether for under $900. Pretty solid deal imo.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I know I'm too late but I was going to suggest grabbing a last gen Peachtree unit off of eBay (Nova125 or 220/se), which fits the bill nicely for what you were looking for in terms of footprint, looks, inputs, etc. I just got a nova125se and its a truly excellent setup especially for the price. The sound is rather warm, rather than airy, so you need to pair your speakers correctly / be into that sort of thing, but otherwise highly recommended.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This thread is now the audiophile thread. Can we get a title change please?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

That Vidar's specs are very similar to the Behringer A500, a $200 amp.

That's ultimate irony of Behringer: Their cheapo gear often matches or even outperforming gear several times to magnitudes more expensive in objective tests and yet still be almost universally reviled as junk.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
their DJ stuff seems to be a bit crappy, at least when it comes to build quality which is important for those things.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Their DJ stuff is definitely not great but then I don't see quite so much ire aimed at other brands throwing products into the ring at the same pricepoint when they're equally as shite. Berry have a problem of trying to throw too many toys onto their DJ stuff instead of just making a really good quality basic bit of kit really.

That said the 3 bits of PA related stuff I have of theirs, DEQ, DCX and measurement mic are all top notch and do what I want of them for a fair whack less than the opposition.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JFairfax posted:

their DJ stuff seems to be a bit crappy, at least when it comes to build quality which is important for those things.

My impression of that is that it's designed for the guy who's going to DJ his friend's wedding and maybe an event at his kid's school once or twice a year, and that it'll hold up fine for purposes like that.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

EL BROMANCE posted:

Probably has licensed X-Fi technology! Wow!

:chloe:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

metallicaeg posted:

And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

DACchat: I bought a SMSL M6 DAC on eBay to replace my aging Aragon D2A, and boy did it make a difference! Much better on vocal tracks.

I have the DAC connected to an Marantz PM-80MkII with a couple of Dynaudio DM 2/8s I bought cheap.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I've been thinking about this for a while, but would there be any benefits to using a DAC+amp setup over a studio recording interface? I figure if resolution and accurate reproduction are the goal then an interface should work just fine.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

New New Fresh posted:

I've been thinking about this for a while, but would there be any benefits to using a DAC+amp setup over a studio recording interface? I figure if resolution and accurate reproduction are the goal then an interface should work just fine.

No practical difference, unless you want more flexibility later on. If you get some crazy low impedance phones, and the interface doesn't push enough power to drive them? You're up a creek until you get an amp. The only other limitation I can think of is if your interface only plays from one program at a time; I haven't run into that since like 2007.

I use a Scarlett 2i2 as my DAC & amp.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I dusted off my old Mbox 2 and am using it for headphones and to drive an amp for my speakers. It has hiccuped a few times but nothing major (USB and lol Avid drivers lol). Also I have to remember to turn off my amp before rebooting the computer or the Mbox sends a heck of a pop through it.

I only have 32 ohm headphones but I never have to use a ton of volume on them. I guess it can drive slightly higher impedance headphones based on that, but how much is anyone's guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wasabi the J posted:

I use a Scarlett 2i2 as my DAC & amp.

Same but I think that's going to change soon. It's probably going to just be used for a recording interface from here on out. It does a good enough job for most headphones but just can't cut it with 300-600ohm loads and frankly it just doesn't sound as good as other things I own. I'm still waiting on my Teac UD-501 to arrive, but my Teac AX-501 drives my speakers and headphones real guud.
The Focusrite is great for what it is though: a small unit to sit on top of my computer at LAN parties or keep with my laptop, or as a small recording interface for a single instrument / streaming / chatting with a decent mic.

Panty Saluter posted:

I dusted off my old Mbox 2 and am using it for headphones and to drive an amp for my speakers. It has hiccuped a few times but nothing major (USB and lol Avid drivers lol). Also I have to remember to turn off my amp before rebooting the computer or the Mbox sends a heck of a pop through it.

I only have 32 ohm headphones but I never have to use a ton of volume on them. I guess it can drive slightly higher impedance headphones based on that, but how much is anyone's guess.

Just because it can drive them also doesn't necessarily guarantee any degree of sound quality. My scarlett 2i2 can't drive my old k240's or sennheisers. It is loud enough with my 598se and ATH M70x. It puts out ~enough~ volume for my Fidelio x2 but they don't sound particularly impressive and I always want to keep turning them up louder. Every single pair of headphones I own sounds better through a proper headphone amp, if only marginally.