Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
I second that. I recently went vegetarian and although I can't quite kick the eggs&dairy habit, I still make a lot of vegan food and I'm always looking for new dishes/recipes to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Sichuan cabbage (recipe)

I tried this, with a few substitutions!

I just kind of eyeballed the seasonings & such, and it ended up too gingery and too szechuan-y, but it was good!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Nice! You just gotta keep making it until there's no such thing as too szechuan-y. Being able to stand up to an infinite number of peppercorns is like, the next evolution of human being, beyond being able to stand up to spicy food.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Dug up a bunch of old pictures, plus two from today.

First, four pictures from when I went nuts for National Potato Day and decided to only eat potato dishes:

Breakfast potatoes: Russet potatoes, cubed, microwaved for ~3:45, then cooked in oil with salt, pepper, and turmeric. For many months this was what I usually had for breakfast. Great stuff. These days I make hash browns since that's faster.

Potato leek soup. Basically just leeks cooked in olive oil until soft, plus potatoes and water, simmered until done, then blended, with salt + pepper. Plus homemade bread.

French fries!

Two-potato vindaloo from this cookbook, recipe here.

So much for potato day. I also went nuts for Thanksgiving:

Clockwise from left to right: cornbread stuffing, bread, curried scalloped potatoes from this cookbook (really delicious), normal stuffing (recipe here, pretty good one too, I'll definitely make it in the future), green bean casserole, ignore the white mashed potatoes (not mine, also not vegan), mashed sweet potatoes with balsamic vinegar and maple syrup.

And then for today's food:

Dal makhani (recipe here) before and after pressure cooking. I love making this because it's super easy: just stick it in all in the pressure cooker and cook it. Bam! I used to blend it up a bit with an immersion blender to make it creamier but now I don't bother because I don't care.

Quinoa and swiss chard salad (sorry for the very lovely picture). Swiss chard from my garden, sauteed with some garlic and shallots, mixed with quinoa, parsley from my garden, and a vinaigrette made out of walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, and mustard. Tasty stuff.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Made a bunch of food and forgot to take pictures. Made more, took some pictures.

Maple donuts (suspended on toothpicks because the glaze has just been applied):

Shepher'd pie (I made a huge casserole dish's worth, and also this little one in the cast-iron, although the scale is tough to see so it looks kind of big):

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Those donuts look awesome!

I had dinner guests recently; one of them is vegan so I got to experiment with some vegan dishes. I mostly cook Italian food, and have really been into Pugliese dishes. It turns out that there are a number of them that are naturally vegan or can be easily veganized. One of my favorites is ciceri e tria: chickpeas with homemade pasta, part of which is fried and served as a garnish. There are lots of variations on it. Here's mine:

(As you can see, I added a little pecorino to mine. But it's good without it, too!)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Sounds a bit like koshari, one of the best comfort foods of all time.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

yes, and given the Arab origins of the dish, I bet there's a connection. The key is the fried pasta, which is really amazing. The explanation you always hear is that it's supposed to be a meat substitute. It's not at all like meat, but it is really good in its own right.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maple donuts (suspended on toothpicks because the glaze has just been applied):

Holy crap, are you a giant??

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The Midniter posted:

Holy crap, are you a giant??

No, he's really tiny.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
poo poo, sorry, chopsticks. Pointy food things that end in "icks" all run together in my mind.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Red wine risotto with mushrooms and inadequately chopped parsley:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Made some Hummus! Pretty good, it actually tastes a bit like chickpeas (how I like it). I burned my garlic though since I read a recipe that said to roast cloves at 375 for an hour and I said "sure why not". Got singed after like 10m so I pulled them. Also I used peanut butter because I never use enough tahini to justify buying it. I used my immersion blender. I did an initial blending of just the chickpeas and some lemon juice. After I added in the nut butter, oil, and a bit of chickpea water it blended really easily in my immersion blender cup.

I also attempted to use the chickpea cooking water for aquafaba stuff, but it failed. Anyone try making the meringues with homemade chickpea liquid? I avoided adding any oils, so it was just chickpea and water. I did a quick soak since I forgot to soak them last night.

Does the aquafaba + sugar/tartar mixture need an excessive amount of beating? I got nowhere with a whisk and then I tried my cleaned immersion blender (also nowhere).

Should I add some of the chickpea 'sediment' at the bottom of what I saved? I didn't keep the large bits with the chickpea water but there's a decent amount of other stuff that settles at the bottom. I've still got a lot of it left so I can try again if the sediment would help the whipping process.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The chickpea water you get from a quick soak might not be thick enough. If you want the fancy aquafaba stuff you often have to reduce your liquid until it's the right consistency, which takes a while to get the hang of because when it's hot it's much thinner.

As for not using enough tahini to justify buying it, you should try finding some recipes with tahini. It's a really great ingredient. It can go in dan dan noodles, salads, sauces, wuhan noodles, and so on. Although frankly hummus is so good that I could probably go through infinite tahini just making hummus forever. When I buy tahini I buy a big ol' jar:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Eeyo posted:

Made some Hummus! Pretty good, it actually tastes a bit like chickpeas (how I like it). I burned my garlic though since I read a recipe that said to roast cloves at 375 for an hour and I said "sure why not". Got singed after like 10m so I pulled them. Also I used peanut butter because I never use enough tahini to justify buying it. I used my immersion blender. I did an initial blending of just the chickpeas and some lemon juice. After I added in the nut butter, oil, and a bit of chickpea water it blended really easily in my immersion blender cup.

I also attempted to use the chickpea cooking water for aquafaba stuff, but it failed. Anyone try making the meringues with homemade chickpea liquid? I avoided adding any oils, so it was just chickpea and water. I did a quick soak since I forgot to soak them last night.

Does the aquafaba + sugar/tartar mixture need an excessive amount of beating? I got nowhere with a whisk and then I tried my cleaned immersion blender (also nowhere).

Should I add some of the chickpea 'sediment' at the bottom of what I saved? I didn't keep the large bits with the chickpea water but there's a decent amount of other stuff that settles at the bottom. I've still got a lot of it left so I can try again if the sediment would help the whipping process.

Your hummus looks delicious.

I've tried to whip my own chickpea broth multiple times to no avail. Not sure what I'm missing, but it's something. I find it's just easier to use the broth as the base for a tasty soup.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Some friends of mine have done meringues with the chickpea water from a can/packet and using a hand-whisk will get you nowhere.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

As for not using enough tahini to justify buying it, you should try finding some recipes with tahini. It's a really great ingredient. It can go in dan dan noodles, salads, sauces, wuhan noodles, and so on. Although frankly hummus is so good that I could probably go through infinite tahini just making hummus forever. When I buy tahini I buy a big ol' jar:

Side note: While trying to recreate some street food from Taiwan I learned the hard way that tahini and asian-style sesame pastes are not swapable.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They're close enough that someone who swaps peanut butter for tahini can swap tahini for sesame paste, I'd say.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Made some sourdough:

I also went shopping - dunno if anyone finds it helpful to see what a vegan trip to the market looks like, but here's $35.33 worth of food if you live in California:

3 lbs calrose rice, 12 oz fenugreek, 12 oz turmeric, 10 lbs basmati rice, 5 lbs cabbage, .8 lbs roma tomatoes, 2 eggplants, 4 lemons, 4.5 lbs onions, 2.8 lbs red onions, a coconut, 1.85 lbs bananas, 1/4 lb serrano peppers, 1 lb plums, 2 bunches of green onions, 1.6 lbs Brussels sprouts, 1 lb carrots, 1.6 lbs green beans, 10 lbs potatoes, 1/2 lb garlic.

Bonus produce picture with the cat.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Produce prices are the only thing California has that manages to make me jealous.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Not the perfect weather? The food from every culture? The fit people in yoga pants?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Temps above freezing are for pussies. :colbert:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
So are yoga pants

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Sichuan green beans and some eggplant:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

My sinuses opened up just reading that recipe. I know what I'm making to bring to work.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Leek curry:

Cabbage and coconut curry:

Spicy chickpeas:

Dal:

All from this cookbook, which I'm a big fan of.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Could you post this recipe? That looks unbelievable.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
3-4 cups / 300 g leeks, chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp Lucky 13 Curry Powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 tsp turmeric
1 bay leaf
2 tsp lime juice or lemon juice
1 tsp agave syrup or sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup / 240 ml coconut milk
1/2 - 1 cup / 120-140 ml water as needed
Cilantro for garnish

Heat oil on medium high. Add leeks, garlic, curry powder, cumin, coriander, black pepper, turmeric, and bay leaf. Fry until leeks begin to brown and soften, stirring constantly, 3-5 min.

Add lime or lemon juice and agave syrup or sugar. Stir.

Add coconut milk. Stir well. Bring to low boil, reduce heat to simmer. Simmer partially covered, stirring regularly, until leeks are soft, 10-12 minutes. Gradually stir in water or more coconut milk and salt as desired while cooking.

Remove bay leaf.

Garnish with cilantro, serve with rice.

Here's the recipe for the curry powder:

25 g coriander
10 g cumin
1 tsp fennel
1 tsp peppercorn
2 tsp fenugreek
1 tsp black mustard seed
3 pieces cinnamon bark
10 fresh or 20 dried curry leaves
3 cardamom pods
3 cloves
1 or 2 dried red chilies (optional)
1 dried pandan leaf or 1 dried bay leaf
1/2 tsp turmeric

Roast everything except turmeric on medium heat until fragrant and lightly browned, stirring constantly, 5-7 min.

Cool, grind, mix in turmeric.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
Does anyone have a good source of recipes for celebration food? I've been googling, but there's a lot of dross.

My sister has recently gone vegan (doctor's orders!) after many years as a veggie and is coming to mine for Easter. It's just her and her other half who will be eating the vegan option (parents are also coming and dad in particular is a big meat eater), so wouldn't need to be massive, but any pointers greatly appreciated!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Is "celebration food" some sort of specific category I've never heard of? I'm not sure what you're asking for. If you Google "vegan Easter foods" lots of examples come up, but I don't know what people eat for Easter so I can't really help out there.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well the traditional easter food (at least in the midwest) is ham.

Are you looking to stick with the traditional holiday feast format? If so I'd recommend looking for a baked seitan recipe of some sort. Seitan is good on its own merits in my opinion. It's got a nice texture, and is easily seasoned to your liking. Plus it makes good sandwiches, so you can send your sister home with whatever's left!

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

Eeyo posted:

Well the traditional easter food (at least in the midwest) is ham.

Are you looking to stick with the traditional holiday feast format? If so I'd recommend looking for a baked seitan recipe of some sort. Seitan is good on its own merits in my opinion. It's got a nice texture, and is easily seasoned to your liking. Plus it makes good sandwiches, so you can send your sister home with whatever's left!

Ham? Really? It's lamb here (UK) - ham if for like Christmas Eve or Boxing Day (26th).

Thanks for the advice, though re Seitan. I've found a baked tofu recipe too that I'm going to try out myself this evening too (not going to serve it unless I know it's nice) - wish me luck!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some more recent vegan stuff:

One of my favorite foods, fish-fragrant eggplant (basically this recipe):

Chinese potato salad (via here:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

schadenfraud posted:

Ham? Really? It's lamb here (UK) - ham if for like Christmas Eve or Boxing Day (26th).

Thanks for the advice, though re Seitan. I've found a baked tofu recipe too that I'm going to try out myself this evening too (not going to serve it unless I know it's nice) - wish me luck!

Good luck! Make sure you drain it really well if it's firm tofu and meant to get crispy/chewy. You really need to weigh it down a lot to get the water out so the outside texture turns out well.

I use a tofu press that's 2 boards that press down with 2 screws. So you really need to weigh it down pretty heavily. Too much can break the tofu so just use your best judgment. It can reform quite a bit before breaking.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Fake feta with marinated tofu is pretty amazing, I've tried some and it really scratched that greek salad itch I had since I went vegan.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Hello I'm new here in Vegan Food.
Just found the link to this thread in the what should I watch on streaming thread and start reading now.
I don' t eat animals since I was 15 in short a long time but I never did the step to go complete vegan.
Cheese and milk are still a part of my food but I'm allways open to nice new vegan recipes and the nowledge of food that isn't good, not bio or fake (bio labeld but only to make ISK)

In Europe we have a app that isn't perfect but a good start to easy photograph the barcode to get infos about ingredients.
codecheck
Sadly it is full of comercials but for beginners to get an Idea what a lot of :airquote:poison:airquote: poo poo is in some food it is a good start with more as a million user and the option to comment every product, It has nearly for everything a match and could be helpful until Inrfood is available for Android too.

In the next days I have more time and want to share a recipe with Pistachio, poppy, basil and dried tomatoes on a Potato pound base.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If anyone's interested, the author of some cookbooks I like has a Kickstarter for his newest book, which is a good chance to pick up copies of the previous books. They're not my favorite books of all time - I like cookbooks with lots of stuff I wouldn't have thought of, like Afro-Vegan, which is also just a good book in terms of reading/pictures/etc. But the Lotus & Artichoke cookbooks have basically never let me down in terms of tasty food, lots of the recipes are pretty easy, they strike a great mix between using ingredients that are easy to find and not replacing stuff that's important with other stuff just to make it easier for white people to cook, and they've got a good spread of different recipe types. They rarely use fake meat, and when they do, I've generally enjoyed the result. So, they definitely come with my recommendation. I usually add more salt and less sugar than he says to, and also in some of the recipes he says you can use paprika in place of cayenne powder, but that's hilarious and wrong and only in there because he's writing for a largely European audience and Europe had nothing spicier than black pepper for hundreds of years so their palates are all hosed up.

You can search back through my post history in this thread to find some food from some of his books. Here's a couple recipes I made the other day from his books:

Malaysian tempeh cubes (from his Malaysia book)

Sri Lankan fried rice (from his Sri Lanka book)

Both delicious.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Thank you for the link

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Someone in the general thread posted a link to vegan chocolate chip cookies: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/guides/vegan-for-everybody/vegan-chocolate-chip-cookies

It's going behind the paywall soon so grab it while you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

CrazySalamander posted:

Someone in the general thread posted a link to vegan chocolate chip cookies: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/guides/vegan-for-everybody/vegan-chocolate-chip-cookies

It's going behind the paywall soon so grab it while you can.

Thats a nice recipe but i would change for me the vanilla extract to real vanilla if you have a good store it costes nearly the same and you can use the empty vanilla pod to pimp your coffee (If you use a french press).
The suggar i would change to an coconut blossom sugar because the index of this sugar is only at 40% but the taste and sweetness is nearly the same.

Thank you for the link.

Aquestion at last please. What is the general thread you wrote about?