Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Escobarbarian posted:

I think there's just a catch-all Marvel Netflix thread. But basically everyone says it's the worst of the four shows, even the people who like it.

I don't think it's any worse than Luke Cage, or S2 Daredevil. A lot of it was stupid but there were some good episodes and a few interesting characters.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm catching up on The Expanse and I'm most of the way through season 1. The show's pretty good so far, but I'm not seeing why people say it's mind-blowing or groundbreaking in any way. Maybe I'm spoiled by BSG, but it feels like in the span of only 10 episodes the story is already kind of slow, and I don't really get a clear sense of what the characters and the story are about below the surface.

It feels more like a handful of mostly unrelated stories set in the same world, like it wants to be Game of Space Thrones but doesn't have the production values or talent for it. Each story is interesting on its own, but together I often feel like I'm watching different shows. I'm much less invested in the Rocinante story though, mainly because Holden is bland and I don't like his squinty poutyface. Thomas Jane's story and character are easily the most interesting part. The background political story kind of feels tacked on.

Admittedly I haven't read the books aside from about half of the first one, so maybe I'd have a different perspective if I had, but I definitely feel like I'm missing a lot of minor details and references.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought the story started coming together when Jane joined up with the crew

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

sticklefifer posted:

I'm catching up on The Expanse and I'm most of the way through season 1. The show's pretty good so far, but I'm not seeing why people say it's mind-blowing or groundbreaking in any way. Maybe I'm spoiled by BSG, but it feels like in the span of only 10 episodes the story is already kind of slow, and I don't really get a clear sense of what the characters and the story are about below the surface.

For me I think part of it is that even if I'm spoiled by BSG that was a decade ago and in the time since there hasn't exactly been much straight-up space-ships-shooting-each other science fiction on television since. I'd rank it higher than "pretty good", but I don't think it's mind-blowing or groundbreaking, just a bit of a rarity. Most TV SciFi tends to be superheroes or CW type stuff which I don't really have any interest in.

For me the fact that it's pretty slow is more of a plus than a negative, but that's probably just a personal thing. Decent production values, for the most part decent cast with a couple of outliers and incredibly low expectations helped a lot as well. The "holy gently caress" moment of decapitation by rail-gun helped seal the deal.

It's no a huge plot spoiler, but just in case you're particularly sensitive to these things, the "mostly unrelated stories" do converge together in the final episode or two of the season and they are part of a bigger picture. I think it rewards patience.

I haven't started on season 2 yet as I'm watching a couple of other things, but looking forward to it.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Been watching The Flash recently. It's dumb and schlocky, but really entertaining in that 'turn your brain off and just enjoy it' kind of way.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I randomly started Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and am actually really enjoying it. It is edgy without trying to be too edgy, really subtly diverse and just a lot of fun. I am around episode 10 into Season 1, however, and I am not liking where they are taking some of the supporting characters. However, I will applaud the fact that characters are going in different directions rather than just "resetting" at the start of every episode. Oh, and the songs are actually entertaining. If you liked Galavant you will probably like this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"actually"? You know it's super acclaimed, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought the story started coming together when Jane joined up with the crew

Yeah, but the problem is that happens so late in the season and then the season ends right as they're actually coming together. It was really poorly paced in that regard and left me very cold after mostly enjoying the season.

I've been sitting on S2 even though I binged S1 right before the current season started. But that pacing issue convinced me that it was best to just wait and binge it since S1 definitely wouldn't have held my interest week-to-week.

But as Gravy Jones said I think there's an audience that really was itching for a good space opera and Expanse fits the bill.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 28, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gravy Jones posted:

For me I think part of it is that even if I'm spoiled by BSG that was a decade ago and in the time since there hasn't exactly been much straight-up space-ships-shooting-each other science fiction on television since.
That's fair. It doesn't really have the dogfighting aspect of BSG, but I do appreciate that it relies more on hard science for space travel than pew-pew Star Wars lasers. I think my main issue is the casting and characterization, because it really takes its time establishing characters beyond broad strokes, especially the ship crew. I wish they'd hung onto that one Mars guy instead of killing him off early though, he was a cool character.

quote:

The "holy gently caress" moment of decapitation by rail-gun helped seal the deal.
Legit the best scene of the show so far.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 28, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Yeah, Mars guy was potentially interesting. Agree that the main crew are probably the weakest part of the show and to be honest they hadn't really grown on me that much by the end of S1. The story has me hooked though, I think it's the last two episodes of the season when it comes together.

I hope there is more Jared Harris in S2. Pretty much every scene he was in was a highlight for me.

I think it suffered a little in that a lot of the political intrigue stuff and the different factions felt fairly predictable and by-the-numbers, could have been ripped straight out of any number of video games (maybe the Martians are an exception to that, but we didn't see too much of them... oh and Space Mormons).... but, again the last couple of episodes shake that up a bit.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

"actually"? You know it's super acclaimed, right?

I meant "actually" in the sense that it isn't the type of show I normally watch.

But you don't know me or what I watch, so I can see how you inferred a different meaning.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gravy Jones posted:

oh and Space Mormons
This HAS to be an original series BSG reference, right? People used to call that show Mormon Star Wars.

And yeah, more Jared Harris. Loved him on Mad Men and Fringe.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really like the crazy belter accent. Especially on the women.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gravy Jones posted:

I hope there is more Jared Harris in S2. Pretty much every scene he was in was a highlight for me.
I was apparently so un-engaged with the characters that I can't for the life of me remember him in S1.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've made the comparison before but The Expanse is playing out a bit like Game of Thrones in that there's this huge narrative universe to explore and they drop you into the middle of it. There's very little in the way of bringing you up to speed and the show expects you to just roll with it for a while as it lays out the foundations. However, upon returning to the beginning after finishing Season 1 or (i expect) finishing later seasons, it's all much clearer and you pick up a lot more since you're now familiar with all the factions/players.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Letterkenny is real fun and criminally underwatched imo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thwomp posted:

I've made the comparison before but The Expanse is playing out a bit like Game of Thrones in that there's this huge narrative universe to explore and they drop you into the middle of it. There's very little in the way of bringing you up to speed and the show expects you to just roll with it for a while as it lays out the foundations. However, upon returning to the beginning after finishing Season 1 or (i expect) finishing later seasons, it's all much clearer and you pick up a lot more since you're now familiar with all the factions/players.

I don't disagree and the big world is what I mostly like about it (as I have no special like or dislike of the sci-fi aspects of it).

But I think Game of Thrones does a good job telling a complete stories with narrative peaks and conclusions, within that world. And I didn't feel like The Expanse S1 pulled that off.

Part of that is certainly that I didn't give a gently caress about that missing girl so your mileage may vary based on that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That's absolutely true and Season 1 of The Expanse does feel really incomplete.

I understand why the creators made that decision, having kept up with Season 2, but it did directly contribute to this incomplete feeling with Season 1.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

From my understanding, season 1 of the Expanse ends about 75% of the way through book 1. The story resolves (somewhat) more neatly in season 2, but it also ties together parts of book 2 earlier, giving it too many loose ends to move it to a season finale.

Essentially, better pacing trumps narrative fulfillment sometimes in this show. Up to you how you feel about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know. I'm torn. On one hand I feel like its not fair for me to judge until I've seen S2, but on the hand I think it should go without saying that the entire point of "seasons" is that they should be some kind of complete and stand alone piece and S1 failed in that.

I mean, "its only 75% of the book" would seem like a damning criticism of the show except I guess that all depends on if the book is paced well or if it would have been better off split. I just know I ended S1 frustrated and feeling unfinished. And not in the "there's a bigger world and story" way that a show like Game of Thrones has but in the "Are we missing a couple of episodes? Is the season really over?" sense.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you aren't loving it by now season 2 won't change anything

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

misguided rage posted:

I don't think it's any worse than Luke Cage, or S2 Daredevil. A lot of it was stupid but there were some good episodes and a few interesting characters.

I'm about halfway through and I agree with this. I'm actually enjoying it more than Luke Cage which I found kinda boring, though Luke Cage had better acting and music. I find Iron Fist's characters and story are more interesting even if it's kinda dumb sometimes. The main actor is pretty bad acting-wise but everyone else is decent.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Got through S1 and what has been aired so far of S2 of Hap and Leonard and I've enjoyed it a lot.

However, every time I see James Purefoy I can't help be see him as Thomas Jane's less attractive brother. Something about the eyes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mu Zeta posted:

If you aren't loving it by now season 2 won't change anything

ll I don't love it and I don't hate it. But I'll probably watch S2 eventually just to see a little more of the world building. Unless I have to delete it off my DVR to make room (sorry, Taboo).

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

mcbexx posted:

Since is hasn't even gotten it's own thread, I figured I might as well ask here - is Marvel's Iron Fist a dud?

Not exactly. It starts slow and just when it's picking up, you hit episodes 8 and 9 (where I am currently) and it gets stuck in the mud again. It's not terrible, but there's definitely 4 better seasons worth of Netflix Marvel shows out there.

Finally got around to Black Mirror season 3. Jesus Christ that malware episode.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

mcbexx posted:

Since is hasn't even gotten it's own thread, I figured I might as well ask here - is Marvel's Iron Fist a dud?

You want to see some mystical poo poo interfering with modern life? Watch Samurai Gourmet. Don't blame me when you get hungry though.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Samurai Gourmet is amazing, I'm trying to model everything in my life after the main character

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just binged the first season of The Wire and holy poo poo its so good. I don't think I've ever seen this much realistic portrayal of street life. First few episodes were really hard to get into until you figure out all the pieces and players in this whole thing but after episode 4 its pretty good and has great pacing. I thought it was gonna be a slog because of the subject being so dire(wiretapping) but it is really as good as people say. Hopefully the next seasons are great too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The hurdle you might have with The Wire is that Season 2 is kind of a dramatically different setting and character shift. Its still great and has all the depth and reality you loved in S1. But its about poor white dudes instead of poor black dudes. A lot of people have a tough time adjusting to that shift.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

STAC Goat posted:

The hurdle you might have with The Wire is that Season 2 is kind of a dramatically different setting and character shift. Its still great and has all the depth and reality you loved in S1. But its about poor white dudes instead of poor black dudes. A lot of people have a tough time adjusting to that shift.
On the other hand, as a working-class white guy I had an easier time relating to the struggles of working-class white guys than I did to a bunch of project boys. But yeah, I wasn't sure on the first watching that I was actually watching the right season, or even the right show, given the sudden shift from the Barksdale dealers to Frank Sobotka and his crew.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

darthbob88 posted:

On the other hand, as a working-class white guy I had an easier time relating to the struggles of working-class white guys than I did to a bunch of project boys. But yeah, I wasn't sure on the first watching that I was actually watching the right season, or even the right show, given the sudden shift from the Barksdale dealers to Frank Sobotka and his crew.

I loved the 2nd season, probably for that reason. I thought every season was going to be a new investigation but then they shifted back to the projects for 3 and I actually started to lose interest.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I grew up in the projects next to the piers. So I had a unique familiarity with both worlds.

But even still, the dramatic shift took a little time to adjust to. I don't think its so much about WHO the characters are but rather that they're brand new ones in a brand new setting.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya that is always jarring and its something I hate in novels but its not as common in shows. I mean if the series is good you will learn to love the new characters.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's a good comparison, I think. Its like reading a great novel about cops pursuing drug dealers from the projects that goes deep into the problems and motivations of both sides and treats the criminals as equals to the cops. Then you read the second book of the series and its the same cops but now they're pursuing a bunch of pier guys. And part of you is saying "Wait, where's the project guys? I still care about them. Who are these guys? I wasn't reading a book about cops, I was reading a book about both sides."

And honestly, even though I love Season 2 in the big picture it really is way more disconnected from the overall series than any other season.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Season 2 was my least favorite my first time watching. But on a rewatch it was definitely my favorite. I really want to watch The Wire again, it's been years since I've last seen it, but there are so many good shows on my list that I haven't seen yet and I just don't have the time.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just finished The People vs OJ Simpson and it was as good as everyone said it was. Top shelf acting and storytelling. Compelling as hell.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Wire goes 4, 2, 1, 3, 5. And 2 and 4 are really close to each other.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the Fourth Season is the absolute best. First and Second are fairly interchangeable to me. Both great stories that stand alone very well. Third sits behind just because its really heavily tied to the seasons before and after so doesn't stand alone as well. And we all know the Fifth is the worst and has some well agreed upon flaws, but is still very good TV and a nice tie up.

I started a rewatch awhile back and got distracted during Season 3 and never got back to it. You've now reminded me I should pick it back up so I can see Season 4 again.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Just finished The People vs OJ Simpson and it was as good as everyone said it was. Top shelf acting and storytelling. Compelling as hell.

Binged the last three episodes yesterday myself. I'm not in the US, so I had not attachment to the man or the media circus around it, but it was very compelling. Really was up there with the best dramatisations I've seen like Behind the Candelabra and the Dr Kevorkian HBO one.

The actor that played Darden did a tremendous job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The Corner is really worth a watch as fan of The Wire. Even just to see same actors playing very distinct characters. I had read the book and in the end my wife was more invested in the characters than I was.