Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Crunkjuice posted:

So this was announced yesterday https://anovaculinary.com/meet-the-...sions+customers . I don't think i'd freeze it, but it seems pretty cool.

Here's the same thing on Amazon. I've been debating whether to get one or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

So this was announced yesterday https://anovaculinary.com/meet-the-...sions+customers . I don't think i'd freeze it, but it seems pretty cool.

You can get them directly from manufacturer on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Stasher-Reusable-Silicone-Food-Clear/dp/B01DZQT9CU/

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Those bags are dope. I'm ordering some since I do all my cooks without a food sealer.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Silicone is an insulator. I know you're doing a long cook but I wonder how much this will affect the initial heat up.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Chemmy posted:

Silicone is an insulator. I know you're doing a long cook but I wonder how much this will affect the initial heat up.

I do wonder about that since most of the sous vide I do is shorter. I'm hoping with a little experimentation it should still work pretty well.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm planning to do a dinner for a group of maybe 10 or so people and I'm going to be occupied most of the day. I will however have time the night before and that morning so I was thinking I might do something sous vide that takes 12-24 hours in the puddle. Anyone have any suggestions for something that goes for about that range? There is a chance I could be able to get to my sous vide setup a few hours before we eat, but I'm not 100% sure on that and I'd probably have to transport it 20-30 min out of the water if I do. I know tenderloin is more in that time frame. Basically I'm looking for suggestions on recipes that would feed north of 10 people, take less than 24 hours and aren't terribly involved post sous vide so I'll have time to finish sides.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I just did a 19 hour chuck roast at 131 degrees, it came out like prime rib at the end but cost like 1/3 what a prime rib does. Just pre-sear, bag it with stuff (I used garlic and rosemary that I toasted for a bit in the searing oil) and let it go. You can just carve it when you are finished, or you can cover it in some sort of herb rub and bake it for a bit to crisp that up. Depending on how much chuck roast you buy it could be pretty easy to feed that number of people.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I got a gourmia GSV140 a couple months ago, it hasn't seen a ton of use yet, maybe about 6 times. I was gonna use it tonight for a ribeye; turned it on and the temp immediately read 211F then it displayed "E02" and beeped until I turned it off. User manual says this for E02: "Your device’s digital thermostat is faulty, please contact customer support for assistance."

So yeah the thermal sensor got disconnected or shorted I guess. Haven't contacted support yet. Maybe tomorrow. I'm pretty disappointed right now.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

I just did a 19 hour chuck roast at 131 degrees, it came out like prime rib at the end but cost like 1/3 what a prime rib does. Just pre-sear, bag it with stuff (I used garlic and rosemary that I toasted for a bit in the searing oil) and let it go. You can just carve it when you are finished, or you can cover it in some sort of herb rub and bake it for a bit to crisp that up. Depending on how much chuck roast you buy it could be pretty easy to feed that number of people.

That's not a bad idea. I wasn't even thinking about a roast.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

I'm planning to do a dinner for a group of maybe 10 or so people and I'm going to be occupied most of the day. I will however have time the night before and that morning so I was thinking I might do something sous vide that takes 12-24 hours in the puddle.

I just did the 5lbs porkbutt Kenji has a recipe for. It'd feed that many people. It however takes like an hour in the oven after the puddle cook time. As mentioned I cut the salt to 2 tbs.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tonedef131 posted:

We have a machine shop where I work, so I came in on a Saturday and machined it. I'm happy to share the program with anyone who has access to a CNC.

Yes please.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

sterster posted:

I just did the 5lbs porkbutt Kenji has a recipe for. It'd feed that many people. It however takes like an hour in the oven after the puddle cook time. As mentioned I cut the salt to 2 tbs.

I did two 10lb pork butts with my Anova about a month ago for a party that I brought to 165 F over 21 hours, then I smoked them at 225 with Kingsford charcoal and sugar maple wood chunks until they reached 203 internal which was another 3.5 hours or so. They were unbelievable.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Sextro posted:

I don't have access or connections to a CNC machine, but I'm ready to Google or whatever I need to to get one of these without paying baking steel prices.

Check if there is a High School or College around with a CNC machine. They will most likely do it for you especially if you provide the programming and the materials. Otherwise if you are in or near a larger city there may be a "maker's group" or that type of thing where they have a bunch of machines that anyone can use for a fee.

These are a couple local ones in the Grand Rapids, MI area.

https://www.grmakers.com/

http://thegeekgroup.org/

Now for my own question. Has anyone done Lobster or Crab in a sous vide? I assume it would work well and you should be able to get the perfect cook due to being able to maintain a constant set temp.

I was thinking about picking up a couple of frozen lobster tails from Sam's Club to test it out but they are expensive so I am hesitant.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I have done lobster before but I wasn't super impressed with the results. I think I did mine around 130, and the texture was a little bit too chewy for my liking. That's not to say that sous vide isn't a good option for lobster, it just might take some time to dial in the right temp for the texture you want, which is tough to do because of how expensive lobster is.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
I did lobster and steak just the other weekend (it was my birthday) and it was great!

I did this kenji recipe at 130 and it came out really well. I used frozen Maine lobster tails and they weren't too much hassle. A lot easier than pulling apart a whole lobster.
Made a bearnaise sauce, but only really because of the steak. Clarified butter would be good instead.

In short - do it!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Randyslawterhouse posted:

I did lobster and steak just the other weekend (it was my birthday) and it was great!

I did this kenji recipe at 130 and it came out really well. I used frozen Maine lobster tails and they weren't too much hassle. A lot easier than pulling apart a whole lobster.
Made a bearnaise sauce, but only really because of the steak. Clarified butter would be good instead.

In short - do it!

Did you still pull the frozen lobster meat out of the shell? Or did it work ok in the shell?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Got a big Foodsaver today. The instructions say to leave 4" of space from the stuff in the bag when you seal it, is this really necessary? Seems like a ton of waste off of a roll.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

VERTiG0 posted:

Got a big Foodsaver today. The instructions say to leave 4" of space from the stuff in the bag when you seal it, is this really necessary? Seems like a ton of waste off of a roll.

Its more like 2 inches in my experience,maybe less.If i have a second set of hands to hold the food up to the sealer, i'll use less. I'll leave a little bit extra if theres a marinade or something in there, but never 4 inches.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Trastion posted:

Did you still pull the frozen lobster meat out of the shell? Or did it work ok in the shell?

Took it out of the shell - that was the only fiddly bit really, but it came out pretty neatly after a quick blanch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crunkjuice posted:

Its more like 2 inches in my experience,maybe less.If i have a second set of hands to hold the food up to the sealer, i'll use less. I'll leave a little bit extra if theres a marinade or something in there, but never 4 inches.

They probably just say 4 inches to ensure you're leaving enough extra material for the sealer to properly evacuate and seal the bag. You don't really need that much...just enough to get it into the vacuum-sealing channel without the food pushing up against the sealer when you close it. If it does, you won't be able to get a good seal...ask me how I know.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

Anyone with an "original" Anova circulator run into an "error 325" on booting it up? I found a reddit thread that suggests it's related to the impeller impinging on the housing but mine spins freely so I don't think that's it.

In any case Anova are replacing it with a refurb of the current model, so that's.....fine, although I'd prefer if their devices didn't break on the reg--this one quit almost 2 years to the day after I got it, and it was a warranty replacement on my original purchase that started tripping the GFCI after 5 months. I have a suspicion moisture ingress is responsible for at least the first if not both faults so hopefully the new models are sealed better.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Are you struggling with that extra crispy sear? Sansaire not quite bringing the bacon home? Consider an acetylene torch and a tungsten cube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YMFRF8NMNI

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Ola posted:

Are you struggling with that extra crispy sear? Sansaire not quite bringing the bacon home? Consider an acetylene torch and a tungsten cube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YMFRF8NMNI

that's a lot less maillard and a lot more Leidenfrost effect going on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin'

Woot has an immersion circulator on sale today.

The bad news is I've never heard of the brand. The good new is it's $69 shipped. Nice.

http://www.woot.com/category/home?ref=w_gh_hm_2

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Crosspostin'

The bad news is I've never heard of the brand. The good new is it's $69 shipped. Nice.

Woot page posted:

Sous Vide is a magical process where you submerge food in water. BUT WAIT! Between the food and the water is a SEALED BAG! Somehow this mix of heat and steam takes decent food and makes it glorious. How does it work? SCIENCE! What does that mean? WHO CARES? As long as the food's tasty, that's all that really matters.

Is that too long for a thread title?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steam means you might not be doing it correctly.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I've been using a bunch of Ziplock backs because I've been puddling a bunch. Is it worth it to invest in vacuum sealer? Suggestions on good price/performance ones? What features or things should I look for in a sealer? Can they do things like a 5-6lbs porkbut like I do in a gallon size bag? Thanks in advance.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

sterster posted:

So I've been using a bunch of Ziplock backs because I've been puddling a bunch. Is it worth it to invest in vacuum sealer? Suggestions on good price/performance ones? What features or things should I look for in a sealer? Can they do things like a 5-6lbs porkbut like I do in a gallon size bag? Thanks in advance.

Vacuum sealers are nice for sous vide, but wonderful for freezing things. Buy one that's cheap: from what I've seen, the more expensive ones have more doodads (e.g., integrated bag storage and cutter), not better suction or sealing. Buy rolls not bags so you can cut your own to size. You can definitely vacuum seal anything that would fit into a gallon plastic bag so long as you cut yourself a long enough bag.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Buy your sealer at Costco because when it eventually dies from sucking in liquid (they all do eventually) you can swap it for free.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Crosspostin'

I'm a little scared to recommend any no-name circulators after reading Peepsalot's experience with Gourmia

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I bought a 30€ vac sealer at Aldi and it is ideal for my purposes. Sous vide and freezing that is. Yes it is basic and has no manual vacuum stop but who cares.
Start cheap and if you use it a ton you can always buy a fancy one later.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Has anyone done shad roe? It's in the markets now and what with all the warnings I see about overcooking and its delicacy it it seems like a prime candidate.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://www.fastcodesign.com/90103320/this-sous-vide-bag-is-made-to-be-cooked-in-your-laundry

Gonna totally make some brisket while I wash my gym shorts, socks, and fiance's ripe menstrual thongs. :shepface:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
You're a menstrual thong.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bum the Sad posted:

You're a menstrual thong.

I'm well seasoned, then.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
what the gently caress

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Fuzz posted:

https://www.fastcodesign.com/90103320/this-sous-vide-bag-is-made-to-be-cooked-in-your-laundry

Gonna totally make some brisket while I wash my gym shorts, socks, and fiance's ripe menstrual thongs. :shepface:

:discourse:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Add it to the bag to make sure you get your daily iron intake.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Alright guys, I need your help! This is not just for me, this is for the good name of Sous Vide Everywhere!

I have finally convinced my parents to try sous vide, they have thought poorly of it forever, because it seems foreign and weird to them. So they got a bunch of tritip from this local place that preps amazing tri-tip. We are going to do a side by side, half will be cooked sous vide and finished on the grill, the other half will be done entirely on the grill.

So for tri-tip, what are the best cooktimes/temps? I probably can't talk them into bathing it for longer than 50 minutes, so anything at that time or below would be best.

I was thinking 40-50 mins @130F, then pat dry and finish 1 minute on each side on the grill?

Should I save the juices from the bag and pour it over the tri-tip after the seer on the grill?

Edit: I am totally willing to cook it way longer, I just know after a certain point they'll just wanna eat and I'm only going over there in the evening, so what is like a good recommended minimum time to bathe? 50 mins is almost definitely too little.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Knifegrab posted:

Edit: I am totally willing to cook it way longer, I just know after a certain point they'll just wanna eat and I'm only going over there in the evening, so what is like a good recommended minimum time to bathe? 50 mins is almost definitely too little.

Sorry for no tri tip info, but I wanted to share how I got my folks into sous vide. They're both 65 and retired. They were skeptical too, but i brought mine over on a saturday at 2 and brought out 3 frozen steaks vacuum sealed and tossed them in. After that i said lets go watch a movie. They were blown away that it was fire and forget and you didn't have to stay with it. We went out, saw a movie, and when we came back, I seared them up in 5 minutes and they loved it.

They loved how evenly it cooked, but they were 100% flabbergasted at its ability to cook meals from frozen, accurately, without having to monitor it. They now meal prep/vacuum seal meals on weekends, toss them in early afternoon and spend a bit of time cooking sides/finishing the main dish for a lot of their meals and they love it.

If the tri-tip experiment doesn't convince them, maybe something similar might change their minds.