Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

pfft like you'd understand game development. Look at these weak patch notes. It's nothing like the amazing innovation CIG puts out, sometimes many times a week. You should be ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

cool

Well dude if you want an unplayable game I think CIG might actually manage to deliver :mrgw:

Argument just goes on from there

Alright everyone, now that we are going on six years and one hundred and fifty million dollars we should really consider how this entire thing is even going to work.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheAgent posted:

hello

• supposedly CIG working on something "exceptional" for E3
  • Roberts has been MIA the majority of the year
  • many design and gameplay changes are stalled due to lack of his approval
  • since leads left or were fired, almost all decisions sit with Roberts
  • CIG is using unpaid interns to help code and complete artwork
  • several backers have been selected to help the design team
  • special select backers were recently invited for an "appreciation" meeting/dinner
  • unsure what the criteria was, but one backer had purchased over $100,000 worth of ships
  • planetary module still coming along
  • loading screen transition still in
  • atmo fighting "in discussion"
  • Star Marine a failure, Roberts unhappy with it entirely
  • Roberts "imagined a different game" and blame devs that left for problems
  • top execs blame recent bad funding on backers unwilling to help more
  • "It's like giving a cat an Easy-Bake oven and expecting it to cater the Royal Wedding" on current tools
  • "Bullies playing with the nerdy kids toys" on new mocap

Looks like this is it, the ELE promised to us Two Weeks ago. Praise be to crobberts.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

How do they keep them sitting down

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

cool

Well dude if you want an unplayable game I think CIG might actually manage to deliver :mrgw:

Argument just goes on from there

I think there was a similar argument on the FD forums regarding this topic. Everyone thinks the grind in ED is already horribly bad, 4 days to an Anaconda! (Equivalent to a Polaris).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

no_recall posted:

I think there was a similar argument on the FD forums regarding this topic. Everyone thinks the grind in ED is already horribly bad, 4 days to an Anaconda! (Equivalent to a Polaris).

No you see in Star Citizen you will control your drill pressure when mining, so the grind will feel awesome and fidelitous

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

No you see in Star Citizen you will control your drill pressure when mining, so the grind will feel awesome and fidelitous

You know what's going to happen though. The drill hits the asteroid, and the ship/commando starts spinning.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dooguk posted:

You know what's going to happen though. The drill hits the asteroid, and the ship/commando starts spinning.

Now this has to happen.

As a matter of fact, if I was a developer in SC I'd put that in just for funsies.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Dooguk posted:

Ship and asteroid despawns, leaves the commando spinning in place in space till they die randomly.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

I'm not going to lie, I touched myself while reading those patch notes. Very nice. The food rework is also a great change. Looking forward to this dlc/patch dropping.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

TheAgent posted:

hello

• Roberts has been MIA the majority of the year
  • many design and gameplay changes are stalled due to lack of his approval
  • since leads left or were fired, almost all decisions sit with Roberts
  • CIG is using unpaid interns to help code and complete artwork

gently caress, these poor kids working at CIG are getting ruined. They're not even true believers of Chris Roberts at this point, just young blood woth college debt trying to get their foot in the door and being abused. This will always be the most upsetting part about this project (and the game industry as a whole).

Also, warhammer is trash so please don't read the books. You all are better than that.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Some of the fantasy and 40k novels are decent to read, regardless of whether the game is trash and how many of the other novels are awful.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

How do they keep them sitting down

Superglue.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

well HECK Phil posted:

Also, warhammer is trash so please don't read the books. You all are better than that.

Shut up dad.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Foo Diddley posted:

The citizens are way ahead of you:

Guy that drew this insisted that it is not just any old cartoon girl with her vag half out; it is in fact his sister

To give some credit to the actual artist:
http://vashperado.deviantart.com/gallery/45976993/88

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I read a fair few of the Horus Heresy books while I was still into 40k and they vary quite a lot in quality. Pretty much no two 'consecutive' ones have the same author iirc.

One thing I remember is how badly they did at describing the spaceship battles. Like, I get it's difficult to describe a 3D spaceship battle with ridiculous fantasy weapons in a book but c'mon. There's no consistency with where stuff is described to be or what is happening from scene to scene, and even less between books. One author has them engaging with mass drivers and beams and poo poo at 1000s of kilometers like an attempt at hard sci-fi, the next at like a couple hundred meters with manually breach-loaded space cannons ( probably closer to what 40k is supposed to be).

One author was clearly just like 'ah gently caress it no one cares about this poo poo anyway' and phones in the climactic space battle in a paragraph, which includes the Heart of Gold (from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) being improbably destroyed by a stray round.

I recommend the Eisenhorn trilogy and some of Gaunt's Ghosts though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Everything is fine. Never mind the increasing red levels in the footage.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

well HECK Phil posted:

gently caress, these poor kids working at CIG are getting ruined. They're not even true believers of Chris Roberts at this point, just young blood woth college debt trying to get their foot in the door and being abused. This will always be the most upsetting part about this project (and the game industry as a whole).

Don't you dare feel sorry for anyone who works there at this point. Scamming people isn't a job. Everyone there knows what the score is now.

necroid
May 14, 2009

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Don't you dare feel sorry for anyone who works there at this point. Scamming people isn't a job. Everyone there knows what the score is now.

you're either a basement dweller with no knowledge of the outside world or a stupid edgelord trying to sound cool. good job blaming the artists and the programmers trying to make a living doing their job.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

necroid posted:

you're either a basement dweller with no knowledge of the outside world or a stupid edgelord trying to sound cool. good job blaming the artists and the programmers trying to make a living doing their job.

Yea the dude who left me a voicemail pretending to be the IRS was a young telecommunications grad 'just doing his job.'

They can get another job. Computers is a big field friend. CIG ain't the only computer job around.

I work in healthcare. If my literal only job option was working in an illegal organ harvesting facility I'd get another loving career because I'm not scum.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 31, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MRI is in

http://i.imgur.com/IKvrARd.mp4

So is walking

http://i.imgur.com/dQhX0Ow.mp4

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

IPA Regulations posted:

I read a fair few of the Horus Heresy books while I was still into 40k and they vary quite a lot in quality. Pretty much no two 'consecutive' ones have the same author iirc.

One thing I remember is how badly they did at describing the spaceship battles. Like, I get it's difficult to describe a 3D spaceship battle with ridiculous fantasy weapons in a book but c'mon. There's no consistency with where stuff is described to be or what is happening from scene to scene, and even less between books. One author has them engaging with mass drivers and beams and poo poo at 1000s of kilometers like an attempt at hard sci-fi, the next at like a couple hundred meters with manually breach-loaded space cannons ( probably closer to what 40k is supposed to be).

One author was clearly just like 'ah gently caress it no one cares about this poo poo anyway' and phones in the climactic space battle in a paragraph, which includes the Heart of Gold (from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) being improbably destroyed by a stray round.

I recommend the Eisenhorn trilogy and some of Gaunt's Ghosts though.

Talon of Horus has a space battle where a sorcerer pulls a spaceship from the warp and throws it at another ship. It rules so hard.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Are those plants? What kind of bizarre space greenhouse set up is that supposed to be?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:ohdear:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Okay yeah maybe you would have plants growing around the inside of some barrel thing like that if you were going to spin it up to provide artificial gravity but you can tell by the way the room has a floor and a ceiling that they already have gravity covered here, so I'm wondering just what the point is

...I just spent more time thinking about this than everyone at CIG combined, didn't I

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Here's a blast from the past for you all. Approximately one year ago today this picture was created of Ryan Archer's Cat.

(I had to have her put down on February 28th because of Kidney Disease. Next Saturday would have been her 18th birthday. RIP Snowie.)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Are those plants? What kind of bizarre space greenhouse set up is that supposed to be?

One where carbohydrates and cellulose fibres are more difficult and costly to produce than simulated sunlight and a tightly curved artificial gravity field and O₂ scrubbing processes. Somehow.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

It's ok, I will not downvote you if you agree with me.

Am I not benevolent?

AM I NOT BENEVOLENT?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

One where carbohydrates and cellulose fibres are more difficult and costly to produce than simulated sunlight and a tightly curved artificial gravity field and O₂ scrubbing processes. Somehow.

CO2. O2 would be fun.

Edit: The vertical version of that is one of the testbeds for hydroponic pods that are supposed to be a part of the Mars mission, although that's started to become the big shiny billboard for space travel these days. The idea is that you use all the light produced to the plants, while the roots are sluicing around in a nutrient water (urine) mix. Sci-fi movies have used it quite a bit, and then it makes it SC.

Cute to go from the relative tech of artisanal small batch lettuce production and the neo-brutalist chic of literally everything else.

necroid posted:

Swing and a miss.

Also, MoMa and DeeSmee, you sure you guys aren't mixing up the SEC with the FTC there? Securities and exchange has a fairly narrow remit compared with the Federal Trade Commission that overlaps in the pre-post-truth world. if you're really interested in exploring this, you should both can the loving appeals to a non-existent audience and stop the verbal jousting, it's literally wallpaper at this point.

Hav fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 31, 2017

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Tippis posted:

This is the same universe where building a big old mining colony inside the atmosphere of a gas giant is worth the expense because hydrogen is just that rare. Or something. CIG didn't really explain

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Yea the dude who left me a voicemail pretending to be the IRS was a young telecommunications grad 'just doing his job.'

They can get another job. Computers is a big field friend. CIG ain't the only computer job around.

I work in healthcare. If my literal only job option was working in an illegal organ harvesting facility I'd get another loving career because I'm not scum.

I'm sorry but that's a huge stretch. Incompetence on CIG is not a scam. Yes they want to maximize profits just like every other publisher out there. If they had the capability (they don't) to make the game they say they want, they would. The problem is when everything has to funnel to one person who wants to make the ultimate life simulator and changes his mind daily, you're going to fail.

That's not on interns, artists, low level developers trying to make a living.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Foo Diddley posted:

This is the same universe where building a big old mining colony inside the atmosphere of a gas giant is worth the expense because hydrogen is just that rare. Or something. CIG didn't really explain

This is true. It's all going to turn out to really be Freelancer 2 in the end, isn't it, and they're going to blame the whole nonsensical setup of this bit space on the Dom'Kavash again…

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
SC has been a full on no holds barred scam for about 2 years now. The game will never be made but they desperately take money for it.

This whole predatory "well I can get a few years of employment off the suckers" by the 'low level devs' is reprehensible

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Not a whole lot of people are blameless in this MLM of dreams, it's perfectly possible that there are backers and employees out there who willfully ignored all warning signs and hosed up their entire life and careers, but that still would merit pity in my eyes

A few years ago I got in touch with a guy who fell for one of those "woman in third world country needs you to rescue them" scams, to the point where he stole from the retirees in the nursing home where he worked to send the cash to finance her getting a kidney transplant or something like that. He got found out, lost his job and so on, and his life was pretty much hosed. Does he deserve it, and if he does, can he still be worthy of pity?

I know I felt sad for him, but I still felt he deserved a lot of poo poo for loving up that badly

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

well HECK Phil posted:

That's not on interns, artists, low level developers trying to make a living.

Interesting philosophical question. They're only following orders, presumably.

If the job is legitimate, but the company is not, everyone gets a pass?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:cawg:

:master:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
You know who else was just following orders?

Yeah, that's right

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Presumably the outfit that tries to scam old people by making them think the IRS is about to arrest them if they don't mail a check has IT guys.

Those IT guys are scammers too not sure why they get a pass. Its not like they don't know and they draw a paycheck from the scammed people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

SC has been a full on no holds barred scam for about 2 years now. The game will never be made but they desperately take money for it.

This whole predatory "well I can get a few years of employment off the suckers" by the 'low level devs' is reprehensible