Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

genericnick posted:

The world has mostly ww1 tech and Titans are vastly superior to ww1 tanks. And those did wreak havoc.

Yeah, I mean titans are definitely very useful tools, but having literally handful of them shouldn't really be enough to turn the tide in a full-scale war unless the titans are literally invincible (which they basically used to be before more recent technology).

I think that the translation mentioned above of the guy meaning "titans need to be perceived as absolute" makes more sense. The enemy constantly being afraid of titans could be a more useful tool than the titans themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait is the English translation from MangaStream or Crunchyroll.

Cause if it's MangaStream welp.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Of course it's Mangastream. They do that kind of poo poo all the time.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, this is the part that confused me. I guess titans are still very powerful in certain situations. Like, if you release a titan into the middle of a city (as opposed to sending it at the enemy battle lines in a wide open area, like in this chapter) it would be very difficult to hit it with cannons. The titan would be effectively invincible (since these countries don't seem to have anti-titan 3d gear) once it got "into the thick" of the enemy and could basically wreak havoc indefinitely, and the perpetrator could easily escape by turning back into a person.

But they don't seem very useful for normal military operations, just stuff like "sneaking a person into the enemy camp/city and then having them turn into a titan and loving everything up."

I sense a continued use for the Survey Corps' 3d gear then. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new direction, but I still want my 3d gear fight scenes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

Wait is the English translation from MangaStream or Crunchyroll.

Cause if it's MangaStream welp.

CR's version is also out, no idea what differences there are. But, the one thing i learned is that the Mule Titan is apparently actually officially named Cartman, which is so stupid and perfect.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
No one is going to stretch their aesthetic muscle coming up with a cool name for the thing with feet for hands.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I want to see Jaw-titan go hungry hungry hippo on some feral titans

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Monocled Falcon posted:

I sense a continued use for the Survey Corps' 3d gear then. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new direction, but I still want my 3d gear fight scenes.

After 4 years they better have built some titan sized 3d gear.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sub Harrison posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised the survey corp never designed any kind of weapon for Eren. Even something as basic as a roll of titan-scale quarters might have been useful, let alone a club.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Probably because it would break pretty quickly and there's not much point anyway when his fists are almost as good. A sword would work but they didn't have the time to make it before the timeskip. I think we'll probably see Titan weapons and maybe Titan armour eventually.

Sub Harrison posted:

Even AoT's questionable physics couldn't make that work.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 10, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

If Eren can reliably harden he can use that to make weapons.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How do you even carry around titan-sized gear? Eren would need to stay transformed, to carry it from his base, and that just drains his stamina.

I suppose they could carry around something compact, some kind of dagger or brass knuckle you can put on the back of a single cart, but anything larger would be a logistical nightmare.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Just take those tanks and have Eren doublefist em voila dual-wield boomsticks

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm expecting to see the Mule Titan carrying a howitzer platform with the Dancing Titan firing it. Only then will the franchise truly embrace it's meat-mecha nature.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Gabi(?) throwing the explosives seems like a neat callback to Eren on top of the wall flinging the barrels at Rod

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

HoneyBoy posted:

I want to see Jaw-titan go hungry hungry hippo on some feral titans

I do like the idea of the Jaw Titan being particularly good at nape tearing. Like for recovering berserked unique Titans and just general anti titan capability.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I feel like the Colossal Titan tactical nuke maneuver that Bert and Ernie used in Shiganshina is going to be useful even against WW1 era tech. As for the usefulness of titans in this new stage of the story, I'd look to the battleships of navies in WW1 as an example of titans in more modern war. Few in number, extremely valuable, quite powerful, but also very vulnerable to being destroyed by a single lucky hit.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

ATP_Power posted:

I feel like the Colossal Titan tactical nuke maneuver that Bert and Ernie used in Shiganshina is going to be useful even against WW1 era tech. As for the usefulness of titans in this new stage of the story, I'd look to the battleships of navies in WW1 as an example of titans in more modern war. Few in number, extremely valuable, quite powerful, but also very vulnerable to being destroyed by a single lucky hit.

It's only really useful on small battlefields and/or on the edge of contested zones. Otherwise your nuke drop can pretty effectively clear a small zone, but afterwards you have a single (very valuable) soldier on his own in the middle of enemy territory. Even WW1 cannons won't miss a colossal titan and even though it probably won't kill him, cannon damage plus his own constant evaporation will quickly wear him down, and the longer he stays titanized, the more chance they have to get closer after the nuke and zero in on him as soon as he can't keep up the transformation.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the plot has moved excruciatingly slow for this super popular manga and all they could muster was 12 eps hah

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-30/attack-on-titan-season-2-listed-with-12-episodes/.114151

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
uve been a garbage poster for 15 years hah

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
please don't take your anger at Isayama, for this and other things, out on me

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Relin posted:

please don't take your anger at Isayama, for this and other things, out on me

The mangaka is not part of the production committee of the anime.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Where did the original anime leave off that they can only have 12 episodes of content left?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Anime ends after they capture Annie and sort out the political fallout from the events leading up to that.

My guess is they'd like to do the Shifters arc one season, then the whole Royal Family business as a 2-cour later.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The first season covered 8 volumes on the manga, so assuming they keep up the same pacing and cover 4 volumes this season then yeah they'd end on the end of the fight against Bertolt/Reiner and right before the whole royal family thing.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

12 episode season is fine imo as long as there isn't another three year break between seasons.

edit: As long as they do a good job animating the scene from the manga where Erwin leads the suicide charge into the pack of titans/shifters to rescue Eren I will be extremely happy with this season.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 31, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saagonsa posted:

The first season covered 8 volumes on the manga, so assuming they keep up the same pacing and cover 4 volumes this season then yeah they'd end on the end of the fight against Bertolt/Reiner and right before the whole royal family thing.

Is that the fight where they capture Eren? That'd be a hell of a downer to end a season on.

EDIT: Looked it up. So it's assumed season 2 is going to cover issues 34-45. The other good point to end it is rescuing Eren / him discovering his control ability which was on issue 50, I think.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 31, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is that the fight where they capture Eren? That'd be a hell of a downer to end a season on.

No, it'd end *after* they rescue Eren.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sasageyo, sasageyo~

bondster
May 6, 2007

I'm not yet sold on the OP song but the visuals (ESPECIALLY the ED) are the most :stare: yet

Also monkey business first appearance is as horrifying as the manga

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, having to rewind my brain back to the starting point for season two took some doing.

"Aaah! Bert, why are you there!"

...oh right.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

a kitten posted:

Man, having to rewind my brain back to the starting point for season two took some doing.

"Aaah! Bert, why are you there!"

...oh right.
Just look at the guy's eyes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

bondster posted:

I'm not yet sold on the OP song but the visuals (ESPECIALLY the ED) are the most :stare: yet

that T-Rex might be my favorite thing about this entire media franchise

animal titans when?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
That was some fantastic animation, and closing on poor Mike was a good choice to reestablish their horror credentials. There's a lot of interesting foreshadowing to unpack in the ending.

Is there going to be an anime-only thread for the series? I always enjoy watching newcomers reacting.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I seriously can barely remember wtf is going on right now in the series, and also got confused at the shifters just hanging around everyone.

Great job on monkeybusiness though. That whole scene was awesome.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

What the hell is that last scene in the new opening? Monkey Titan running across the field with a Whale, T-Rex and all sorts of animals.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Back before the outside world stuff and the coup, this series feels way different

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can anyone remind me what's up with the animals in the opening?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I remember starting the manga immediately after the season one finale because I didn't want to wait but I didn't think I would have had to wait three years.

Feels so far behind in comparison to where we're at now. I was actually confused as to why Reiner and Bertholdt were there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Can anyone remind me what's up with the animals in the opening?

It looks cool, that's it.