Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Was anyone slow to discover the cilantro=soap thing? It never bothered me when a small amount was in a dish, but then I got a salad where the raw sprigs were part of the mix and was so confused. Now I can pick out the taste unless there's very little or it's part of something that offsets it, like salsa.

I started using small amounts in cooking and I thought I had soap residue or something in my pots at first.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First time I had a burrito with it, I noticed it. :smith: Seems like I'm missing out, since everybody else seems to like it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Here is an article I think you lads would like

And this one is my favourite, although I may have posted it before

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I grow a 4ftx4ft patch of cilantro in my veggie garden (along with basil, and dill), and I can definitely say there's a point where "too much cilantro" is achieved. My wife likes a ton of it, and it's usually just too "cilantro-y" for me. Personally, I like the byproduct better, Coriander. Now there's a spice I can get behind.

For St Patrick's Day last year we got a corned beef pack that just had the brisket marinating in the spices, and it just had way too much coriander seed. This year the spices were in a separate pack, so I could grind up the seed, and that was much better.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Somebody has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Mar 31, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My husband doesn't have the cilantro soap gene, but he does think there is such a thing as too much cilantro.
Well, he's entirely correct. It's a strong flavour and a little goes a long way. It's nice, but you don't need much of it before it overwhelms the other ingredients.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
A cakeroach! (still would)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

whiteyfats posted:

First time I had a burrito with it, I noticed it. :smith: Seems like I'm missing out, since everybody else seems to like it.

I think, if i were to describe it poorly, it tastes similar to parsley and citrus put together, or like a more sour/tangy coriander.

I don't know if the people who have the cilantro gene get the same reaction from parsley, but maybe try that.

Also, there was a researcher who taught himself to like it after some research on the neurological aspect of it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

whiteyfats posted:

There are people who don't give two shits either way about cilantro, they just dont talk about cilantro all the time.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Even I, an ally of pineapple on pizza, cannot defend pineapple in burrito.

Pineapple is a traditional component of tacos al pastor, and burritos al pastor are also a thing which is good and tasty.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Tiggum posted:

Well, he's entirely correct. It's a strong flavour and a little goes a long way. It's nice, but you don't need much of it before it overwhelms the other ingredients.

NO I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Too much cilantro on banh mi is bleh. A little goes a long way. Raw jalapenos on them can gently caress off too.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Ranter posted:

Too much cilantro on banh mi is bleh. A little goes a long way. Raw jalapenos on them can gently caress off too.

NO YOU CAN gently caress OFF SIR!!!!

I love raw jalapenos.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ranter posted:

Are you TRYING to start a war here!?!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

In the US, Cilantro is the leaves, and Coriander the seeds, right?

We just call it all Coriander which is dumb now I think about it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I love the contrast between the idealized picture and the actual picture.

Reminds me of Falling Down.

(skip to 4:05)

quote:

See, this is what I'm talking about. Turn around, look at that [pointing to menu picture]. You see what I mean? It's plump, it's juicy, it's 3 inches thick. Now look at this sorry, miserable, squashed thing [holding up burger].

https://youtu.be/XkwQ6EjLdMQ?t=245

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's not dumb, Americans are dumb. Cilantro is the plant, Cilantro Seeds are the seeds. They don't call Tomato seeds "Jazberwazzits".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

when you eat tomatoes and poo poo jazberwazzits

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. It is the superior system since the two parts have different flavors and uses. Like mace/nutmeg but more distinct.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ranter posted:

It's not dumb, Americans are dumb. Cilantro is the plant, Cilantro Seeds are the seeds. They don't call Tomato seeds "Jazberwazzits".

Some menus here might use the generic term "Coriander" - they don't always specify leaves or seeds. You can usually tell from context, but not always.

Recipes will always recognise this and be clear. Just language from non - cooks and menus get a bit weird. I like the US system better.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Mar 31, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The reason for this is that coriander seed is used in English (and European) cooking, so we called it "coriander" in the US from back when we were still British colonies.

Cilantro leaves became popular in the US via Mexican cooking, so we use the Spanish name.

This confuses US restaurateurs from India and Pakistan who learned British English and would logically call it "coriander leaf" on their menus, but people seem to be coming around to "coriander leaf/cilantro" on Indian menus at least in Boston and New York. I'm sure it cuts down on cilantro-impaired people complaining their dish tastes soapy.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Would

Ranter posted:

SHUT UP! YOU'RE A DISGRACE TO THIS FAMILY! GO TO YOUR ROOM!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I love raw jalapenos.

:agreed:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

AlbieQuirky posted:

Cilantro leaves became popular in the US via Mexican cooking, so we use the Spanish name.

Thanks for that, that explains it. I'll use silly amounts of the leaves in Indian food and haven't hit a limit yet.

I don't have a picture but any curry with raisins in should be in this thread.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Mar 31, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh it's coriander leaves.

They don't taste like soap to me but I'm not the biggest fan.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

No peepza rules :colbert:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

See, I have the genetic thing where cilantro tastes like soap. Luckily, I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who orders malört on purpose, so I love it.

Speaking of how gross I am: facebook recommended me this based on my viewing history http://www.iwashyoudry.com/2014/08/20/monkey-meat/?m

It appears to be called Monkey Meat. Based on the comments (which you should at least skim), it can be any kind of processed pork chopped together with pickles, mayo, sometimes herbs or veg, and cheese (more often than makes sense).

Still would. I am currently eating toast with mayo, sauerkraut, capers, and hot sauce.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Ranter posted:

Who is putting raw jalapenos on a banh mi? They should be putting raw birds eye chillis on there instead. We have banh mi rules for a reason.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Bibliotechno Music posted:

See, I have the genetic thing where cilantro tastes like soap. Luckily, I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who orders malört on purpose, so I love it.

Malort isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be imo

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dabir posted:

Oh it's coriander leaves.

They don't taste like soap to me but I'm not the biggest fan.
:same:

It doesn't taste like soap to me but it's not a flavor I particularly like and it overpowers just about everything. It's like cumin in how much it just tramples other flavors.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

:same:

It doesn't taste like soap to me but it's not a flavor I particularly like and it overpowers just about everything. It's like cumin in how much it just tramples other flavors.

There is alot to be said for balance and moderation aka things most cooks don't understand

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

cyberia posted:

Who is putting raw jalapenos on a banh mi? They should be putting raw birds eye chillis on there instead. We have banh mi rules for a reason.

The Vietnamese population in Northern California (perhaps the rest of the USA too, I dunno). I'm Aussie and am used to thai birdseye in Vietnamese food too. They're way more delicious.

In southern california are they using birdseye? I hope so. When they bring the plate of bean shoots and stuff with my Pho here, it's always disappointing to notice the lack of a vibrant red color.

Bald Stalin has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Mar 31, 2017

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I love raw jalapenos.

I'm planting (well, "planted" the seedlings look sweet) hot Thai peppers this year, and one Cayenne. We have enough preserved Jalapenos from last year to last through this season. Never tried the little Thai peppers, we'll see how they do. I do love me some heat, but not so much that it makes the skin on your lips come off. Here's an unidentifiable meat:

I think the thermometer is there so they can make absolutely sure it's not alive.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is.. is that a pork meatloaf that was left covered?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I'm planting (well, "planted" the seedlings look sweet) hot Thai peppers this year, and one Cayenne. We have enough preserved Jalapenos from last year to last through this season. Never tried the little Thai peppers, we'll see how they do. I do love me some heat, but not so much that it makes the skin on your lips come off. Here's an unidentifiable meat:

Thai peppers are awesome. I grew them one year in my garden. I would add them to jars of pickles along with more cloves of garlic. I love garlicky spicy pickles. Thai peppers are just awesome on things, like chopped up on a bacon cheeseburger.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You can find them in Asian markets, sometimes fresh (but often green) but even more commonly in the freezer section. I buy a bag frozen, use 10 or so in a batch of laab, keep the rest in the freezer. A bag should run about $2.50. Fresh are better but for some reason they're picked green/yellow and finding deep red is rare.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Ranter posted:

Is.. is that a pork meatloaf that was left covered?

I dunno, but the sheer amount of grease is kind of stomach turning. I didn't think meatloaf produced that much grease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I think the thermometer is there so they can make absolutely sure it's not alive.

You fed him after midnight, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU